Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 5:36 AM Last edited by SuffieCutie1 : 15th Nov 2014 at 8:58 AM.
Converting Hair from TS3
So I found this tutorial by Simstemptation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmpqy74e5...torial.pdf?dl=0 and I was wondering if someone could please elaborate the instructions on the last page. Also, I've tried converting a few hairs but they all seem to have only one UNKN file and I don't know how to replace the textures and all.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 5:46 AM
Moving to CAS Parts.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 3:20 PM
Here's another tutorial: http://mahamudosims4.blogspot.jp/20...b2d64aa17764318

It's almost exactly the same, but maybe it would be a little more clear for you. Is it the image editing part that's confusing you? If so, there's a couple of hair recoloring tutorials in this list: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532269

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 3:48 PM Last edited by SuffieCutie1 : 15th Nov 2014 at 8:56 AM.
I've seen that one and it isn't much detailed for a beginner like me. I followed Simstemptation's tutorial step by step, but I don't know what to do after changing the shader to SimGlass. All my converted hairs have only one UNKN file too. According to the tutorial, there should be multiple UNKN files. The instructions on the last page are unclear to me.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 11:37 PM
same for me though i have other problems :/ i still cant get it succesful , i can only wish someone will make a video tutorial
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 10:21 AM
Looks like the tutorial was written using an older version of s4pe. The hair textures it talks about on the last page are now tagged RLE2. You can right-click them and click 'Export to DDS', and import them from a DDS image the same way. You can find the texture you want by clicking on them and looking at the preview.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuffieCutie1
I've seen that one and it isn't much detailed for a beginner like me. I followed Simstemptation's tutorial step by step, but I don't know what to do after changing the shader to SimGlass. All my converted hairs have only one UNKW file too. According to the tutorial, there should be multiple UNKW files. The instructions on the last page are unclear to me.

There shouldn't be multiple UNKN files. That tutorial uses a very old and outdated version of s4pe, which did show many of the image files within the package file as 'UNKN'. In the current version of s4pe, image files are now shown as RLE2 or RLES, although there is still one UNKN item which I guess has not yet been deciphered. Hairs opened in s4pe should now look like the attached screenie.

You can get the latest version of s4pe here: https://github.com/Kuree/Sims4Tools/releases . Hope that will clear things up a little at least!

ETA: Oh, I was sniped by Cmar while I was writing this post! Yes, what Cmar said, too.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 9:13 AM
Thank you for clearing one of my confusions. There is an RLES file which I think is the alpha, but I'm not sure. I'm unable to export it to DDS. And is there a way to export DDS files without losing their transparency? The tutorial says that I have to edit the shadow but it turns solid.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 10:07 AM Last edited by Notegain : 15th Nov 2014 at 10:39 AM.
RLES is the specular texture (which gives shine), it's not editable for now. Your hair texture is a RLE2 and it doesn't lose it's transparency when you export it. You may be forgetting to change the geom shader to simglass, or you may be deleting your alpha channel when saving dds file.

This is how your channels should look like in your photo editor:

RGB channels selected:

It may not be green like this, this is just an example.

Only alpha channel selected:
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 4:13 PM
Thank you for telling me where the alpha is. Now when I think that I'm finally done, it keeps crashing my game. Great. Could anyone please have a look at the file and tell me what is wrong? The shadow is unedited.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  NewseaMeltawayTS4.rar (1.24 MB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 4:41 PM Last edited by Notegain : 15th Nov 2014 at 4:59 PM.
There are empty bone assignments on the vertices of the mesh. That causes crashing. I opened it in milkshape and assigned all of it to b_head and now it is working. But it surely will not animate good. Trying to think of an easy way for you to fix it.
I wonder if the mesh you converted it from has assignments to some bones that doesn't exist in sims 4. It looks like empty vertices have a pattern.
If there are no problems with it's bone assignments you can copy them to your own mesh and save yourself from lots of work. Could you send the original S3 mesh, i'll look if it's okay to copy them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 4:55 PM Last edited by SuffieCutie1 : 15th Nov 2014 at 5:10 PM.
Okay. Please do tell me how to assign the vertices.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:02 PM
Copied from edited earlier post:

I wonder if the mesh you converted it from has assignments to some bones that doesn't exist in sims 4. It looks like empty vertices have a pattern.
If there are no problems with it's bone assignments you can copy them to your own mesh and save yourself from lots of work. Could you send the original S3 mesh, i'll look if it's okay to copy them.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:05 PM
Wouldn't this be a job for Cmar's BoneCrashFixerTool? Or am I mixing up something? (It's posted over in Tools if you need it)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:07 PM
Nope, that was the first thing i tried, but it gives error. "At least one mesh in this package has bone assignments outside the bone list. Unable to fix." it says.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:10 PM
You can download the original here:
http://sunsetsims.mustbedestroyed.o...j182-melt-away/
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:34 PM Last edited by Notegain : 15th Nov 2014 at 5:45 PM.
b_L_breast and b_R_breast may be creating problems. Ow and it's assigned to b_HeadNew_ that doesn't exist in sims 4 at all. Ok, i'm trying to fix it.
Ok, seems to be working. Checking animations now.

NewseaMeltawayTS4.rar > This is the package you sent, i imported the new mesh but it has some texture problems.
Sufi_yfHair_MedWavySweptSoft.rar> Cloned a new package with the name you gave it, and imported the new mesh into it. Working.
These two will conflict with each other so use only one while testing
Attached files:
File Type: rar  NewseaMeltawayTS4.rar (1.25 MB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Sufi_yfHair_MedWavySweptSoft.rar (1.17 MB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:51 PM
You do deserve a cookie for trying to help me. But I want to learn how to convert hairs myself more than I want that particular one to be converted.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:55 PM Last edited by Notegain : 15th Nov 2014 at 6:45 PM.
I was editing my post then i saw yours

I forgot to write how i did that:
1.Opened the original mesh in milkshape and changed the bone names to Sims 4 bone names b_L_breast became b_CAS_L_breast, b_R_breast became b_CAS_R_breast, b_HeadNew_ became b_Head_
2. Exported as sims 3 geom.
3. Used CASTools to convert it to S4,
4. Imported back in S4 format.

Edited below.

You will need to edit bone assignments in blender since you use blender to convert meshes, it will be easier to do
Here is a mini tutorial explaining hair meshes. You may find it useful.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 6:01 PM
Which original mesh? The converted one which I sent or the S3 one? And how do I change bones names? Sorry, I'm completely new to this.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Notegain
1.Opened the original mesh in milkshape and changed the bone names to Sims 4 bone names b_L_breast became b_CAS_L_breast, b_R_breast became b_CAS_R_breast, b_HeadNew_ became b_Head_
2. Exported as sims 3 geom.
3. Used CASTools to convert it to S4,
4. Imported back in S4 format.

Thank you for that, Notegain - I didn't know we could do it like that. I've been using your TS4 Milkshape rig as a list to refer to in order to assign the correct bone names in Blender, but didn't realise we could just change the bone names to TS4 bones directly in Milkshape and save as a TS3 mesh. This will be very useful!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 6:10 PM Last edited by Notegain : 15th Nov 2014 at 6:51 PM.
Original mesh from Newsea's .sims3pack, S3 one. Edited below
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
Thank you for that, Notegain - I didn't know we could do it like that. I've been using your TS4 Milkshape rig as a list to refer to in order to assign the correct bone names in Blender, but didn't know we could just change the bone names to TS4 bones directly in Milkshape and save as a TS3 mesh. This will be very useful!

No problem, i may add that to the sims 4 bones resource thread, but i didn't think you needed to change bone names in blender. Actually you shouldn't need them for blender. How exactly are you using them?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 6:27 PM
I just tested the working converted hair which you sent. Why are its edges so blocky? Are they supposed to be that way? I feel so dumb. I need a VERY DETAILED explanation of everything.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 6:43 PM
SuffieCutie, this is one of the big holes that tutorial has. It probably never tries to convert a hair that is assigned to a different bone than it should be.
For converting these kind of hairs you will need to understand how bone assignments work, and for that, i strongly suggest you to watch some tutorials about bone assignments in blender on youtube.
I guess there are many, since it's a popular program but i have no idea about it since i never used it except a few times to look at things.
To know which bones to assign, there are tutorials on MTS which explains bone assignments.
I used milkshape and CASTools as a workaround but it's really a messy way to do this and milkshape is really not the best program you can find to edit meshes and bone assignments.
How i changed bone names:
I went to joints tab in milkshape, double clicked on the bone name i wanted to change, wrote the new name and clicked rename.
here are the bones i looked to find the correct bone names.

Since you sent it like that i thought you would like to do that yourself and didn't touch the textures, so they have no alpha. That's probably what's causing that blocky look.

I'm correcting what i wrote above, sorry i'm so clumsy:
1.Opened the original mesh (Newsea's S3.simgeom) in milkshape and changed the bone names to Sims 4 bone names b_L_breast became b_CAS_L_breast, b_R_breast became b_CAS_R_breast, b_HeadNew_ became b_Head_
2. Exported as sims 3 geom. (Newsea's S3 edited.simgeom)
3. Used sims 3 mesh toolkit to copy bone assignments from (Newsea's S3 edited.simgeom) to your mesh (S3 Sufi.simgeom)
3. Used CASTools to convert (S3 Sufi.simgeom) to S4, (S4 Sufi.simgeom)
4. Imported back (S4 Sufi.simgeom) in S4 format.
Page 1 of 2