Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 11:14 AM
Hello there CmarNYC! I m currently learning how to convert hair from TS3 to TS4...I do have an issue though....look I've done everything correctly in Milkshape then I do the geom conversion but I can't open the package to change texture and the LOD's...It just saves it as .simgeomfile not a .package file then i cannot open it in the mesh manager tab...pleaaaseee help me! I've been asking everywhere for other issues and now this..since I couldn't find a way to fix this myself I chose to message you..Thank you so much for reading this! (NOTE: This doesn't have to do with the new gender customization update).
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by giannisk13
Ok thank you so much (Nope I haven't updated yet) I fixed my mistake the hair appears perfectly both in sims 4 studio and in milkshape however in game the hair isn't in the proper place...it's more forward which leaves a gap in the head and I can see through it...now what? By the way what if the hair i wanna convert has a hat? for example Katy Perry's Sweet Treats hair has 2 different parts..how do i combine them togeher (Thank you so much-hope i didn't get too annoying)

If you could upload your hair package I'll be glad to take a look.

TS3 has hat hair but TS4 has hats separately. The 'proper' thing to do would be to separate the hat mesh and make a hat, and fill in whatever's then missing from the hair part, plus making the cut-away hair meshes that fit under hats.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
If you could upload your hair package I'll be glad to take a look.

TS3 has hat hair but TS4 has hats separately. The 'proper' thing to do would be to separate the hat mesh and make a hat, and fill in whatever's then missing from the hair part, plus making the cut-away hair meshes that fit under hats.

Thank you so so much! I honestly have no idea how to fix this...I think it might have to do with the bones however as you can see in the 1st pic the fringe is kinda transparent...and in the 2nd pic the hair has a huge gap which I dunno how to fill. By the way I've edited these in milkshape as in blender I always get an error.Lastly the hair in the back aren't as smooth as the original hairstyle.. Thanks for reading this.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 5:12 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 10th Jun 2016 at 5:55 PM.
Thank you so so much! I honestly have no idea how to fix this...I think it might have to do with the bones however as you can see in the 1st pic the fringe is kinda transparent...and in the 2nd pic the hair has a huge gap which I dunno how to fill. By the way I've edited these in milkshape as in blender I always get an error.Lastly the hair in the back aren't as smooth as the original hairstyle.. Thanks for reading this.

You didn't attach the package.

From looking at the pics, a couple of things:

Check that you're assigning the hair to the b_head bone.

The fringe indicates to me that this is an alpha-transparency mesh, which are the norm in TS3. They're usable in TS4 but the game doesn't handle the layers the same way and a lot of creators have had problems with this. It may not be an issue if you can get the hair placed properly, but if necessary you can try separating the layers into groups in Milkshape, arrange them in the correct top-to-bottom order in the Groups tab, and regroup. Disclaimer: I've never worked with hair much so I'm far from an expert.

The gap you're referring to looks like it's just the backfaces of the hair mesh. A mesh is normally visible only from one side and transparent from the 'back' side, which is this case would be placed over the head if the mesh was in the right position. I'd have to see a pic of it from the back to tell for sure.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 7:28 PM Last edited by giannisk13 : 11th Jun 2016 at 1:14 PM.
You didn't attach the package.

From looking at the pics, a couple of things:

Check that you're assigning the hair to the b_head bone.

The fringe indicates to me that this is an alpha-transparency mesh, which are the norm in TS3. They're usable in TS4 but the game doesn't handle the layers the same way and a lot of creators have had problems with this. It may not be an issue if you can get the hair placed properly, but if necessary you can try separating the layers into groups in Milkshape, arrange them in the correct top-to-bottom order in the Groups tab, and regroup. Disclaimer: I've never worked with hair much so I'm far from an expert.

The gap you're referring to looks like it's just the backfaces of the hair mesh. A mesh is normally visible only from one side and transparent from the 'back' side, which is this case would be placed over the head if the mesh was in the right position. I'd have to see a pic of it from the back to tell for sure.

Sorry for not attaching the package I dunno how to yet ,but anyways once more thank you so so much! I've finally been able to create my hair the way I want to with your tips! They're very helpful and yes- the freaking bone! Attached it and now it works perfectly! Take a look in the pic below: (By the way I feel sorry for your pet...it really touched me as I lost one too last year..I'm a huge cat person and the loss of my cat really made me depressed...hope you feel better by now...) Thanks again!

EDIT: The pic was removed by me as the creator didn't allow converting her hair meshes
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 8:20 PM
What a nice hair! It turned out very well.

Thank you for your nice remarks - my cat was 16 and had cancer. Very sorry for your loss as well; it's always so so hard to lose them.

I assume you're already clicking the "Go Advanced" button under where you type to attach pictures. To upload a package or other file you have to put it in a zip, rar, or 7z file with Winzip, 7-zip, or whatever, then upload it the same way.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jun 2016 at 10:56 AM
What a nice hair! It turned out very well.

Thank you for your nice remarks - my cat was 16 and had cancer. Very sorry for your loss as well; it's always so so hard to lose them.

I assume you're already clicking the "Go Advanced" button under where you type to attach pictures. To upload a package or other file you have to put it in a zip, rar, or 7z file with Winzip, 7-zip, or whatever, then upload it the same way.

Yes indeed losing a pet is very hard especially for me cause I'm kinda oversensitive...anyways today I discovered another issue with my hair! When I try to convert an EA hair (I tried with Late Night) It always ends up kinda crappy for some reason:
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 11th Jun 2016 at 11:28 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 11th Jun 2016 at 1:37 PM.
Yes indeed losing a pet is very hard especially for me cause I'm kinda oversensitive...anyways today I discovered another issue with my hair! When I try to convert an EA hair (I tried with Late Night) It always ends up kinda crappy for some reason:

That looks like layers to me, as I discussed above. You can try rearranging the mesh layers in Milkshape.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Jun 2016 at 3:41 PM
That looks like layers to me, as I discussed above. You can try rearranging the mesh layers in Milkshape.

Oh ok..but how's this done? Do I have to import every GEOM file that the hair has? And if so in what order biggest to smaller or opposite? (Sorry if I'm beeing annoying with all of those questions...)--Thanks for reading this!
Test Subject
#10 Old 11th Jun 2016 at 9:15 PM
Yes, the problem of S3 persists in the new update

Oh ok..but how's this done? Do I have to import every GEOM file that the hair has? And if so in what order biggest to smaller or opposite? (Sorry if I'm beeing annoying with all of those questions...)--Thanks for reading this!

I've already had this problem and assuming it's an EA hair, it's very difficult to fix because you need all the layers separately from the hair, and to do this in an already created hair you need to use a tool to separate all the parts from the hair (milkshape doesn't have it, but Maya and 3Ds Max does and so others). And then, import to milkshape and start to reorganize in a way that the transparency issues are gone (just like THIS tutorial).
Yes, it's a lot. If I were you I would let this way, it's more easy to do when you create a hair from zero so you have all the layers.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jun 2016 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FoFuxx
Yes, the problem of S3 persists in the new update

I've already had this problem and assuming it's an EA hair, it's very difficult to fix because you need all the layers separately from the hair, and to do this in an already created hair you need to use a tool to separate all the parts from the hair (milkshape doesn't have it, but Maya and 3Ds Max does and so others). And then, import to milkshape and start to reorganize in a way that the transparency issues are gone (just like THIS tutorial).
Yes, it's a lot. If I were you I would let this way, it's more easy to do when you create a hair from zero so you have all the layers.

Yes it actually is...thank you so much for responding! Now I'll be able to convert my hair with no problems! But let me ask another question...when I try to cnvert a hair with hat (Katy Perry's sweet treats cookie beret) CmNYC told me to make a hat mesh and a hair mesh..the thing is that when in hair mesh I export Lod0.2 however when the hat doesn't have the same lod..anyways I've tried to make both the hat and the hair a hairstyle mesh then kinda merge them in blender however the hat won't appear! What should I do?--Thanks for reading this (Note: I haven't updated my game yet) Also when in Sims 4 Studio the hat mesh will appear beige and not textured! -it doesn't reflect the skin-i fixed that it's like it just doesn't exist!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#12 Old 11th Jun 2016 at 10:33 PM
Yes it actually is...thank you so much for responding! Now I'll be able to convert my hair with no problems! But let me ask another question...when I try to cnvert a hair with hat (Katy Perry's sweet treats cookie beret) CmNYC told me to make a hat mesh and a hair mesh..the thing is that when in hair mesh I export Lod0.2 however when the hat doesn't have the same lod..anyways I've tried to make both the hat and the hair a hairstyle mesh then kinda merge them in blender however the hat won't appear! What should I do?--Thanks for reading this (Note: I haven't updated my game yet) Also when in Sims 4 Studio the hat mesh will appear beige and not textured! -it doesn't reflect the skin-i fixed that it's like it just doesn't exist!

If this is now a discussion of how to make hairs, it belongs in the Create / CAS Parts forum. Please post there or I can split these comments into a new thread.

Test Subject
#13 Old 12th Jun 2016 at 5:58 AM

Let me understand it, you wanna convert a hair from The Sims 3 that already has a hat, right?
Yes, he's right, you need to create two separated things, a new hair and a new hat.
But to do this you need to cut the hair in the lods 0_1 and 0_0 so the hat can fit.
And the lod 0_2 is the hair with no cut.
But if the hair doesn't get through hats, so maybe you don't need to cut
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Jun 2016 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FoFuxx
Let me understand it, you wanna convert a hair from The Sims 3 that already has a hat, right?
Yes, he's right, you need to create two separated things, a new hair and a new hat.
But to do this you need to cut the hair in the lods 0_1 and 0_0 so the hat can fit.
And the lod 0_2 is the hair with no cut.
But if the hair doesn't get through hats, so maybe you don't need to cut

First of all thank you so much for responding back to me! Yup the hair has a hat but what do you mean when you say ''cut''? (sorry I'm a starter at these stuff). So I do export the lod's 0_1 and 0_0 import them in milkshape then I do what I do and afterwards I convert the .simgeom files for TS4 and import the TS4 files in the lod's? And the hat in the same way? However sims can't wear hats all the time unlike in TS3 when they take a shower the usually take off their hats....note that my hair has a gap on the top (this doesn't have to do with backfaces) where the hat is supposed to be and I dunno how to close it.. Anyways here's what I did as my first try: make BOTH the hat and the hair a hairstyle mesh then export them seperatly along with everything the needed (texture ,lod's , shadows etc.) and I merged them together in blender as a one-piece hair that has the hat attached to it....the thing is that afterwards the hat mesh would appear beige (=meaning it doesnt exist no texture problems) and in the game it would just not appear...plus the hair has some transparecy issues and I really appreciate that you gave me a link to the tutorial however what tool do I use to separate the layers? I've heard of a Maya plugin for milkshape (I think) but I dunno what that is....--Thank you for reading this
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#15 Old 12th Jun 2016 at 2:11 PM
By 'cut' they mean to separate the hat from the hair - in Milkshape you can select the faces of the hat and then in the Groups tab click Regroup. This splits the mesh into separate groups which can be exported separately. You can separate the hair layers the same way but it's very difficult/near impossible to select those faces accurately in Milkshape.

Normally you'd close the gap by creating new faces in the hair mesh - but I don't have much experience with that. A basic Milkshape meshing tutorial should help.

But - separating hat from hair is a fairly complicated project for a beginner, and my suggestion is that you learn more of the basics by doing simpler projects first, like more non-hat hairs and the combined hat/hair. For the hat color not appearing correctly, you need to adjust the UV texture mapping. In Milkshape you do this in the Window / Texture Coordinate Editor.

Hopefully others can help you with Blender, which I don't use and with all the stuff I don't know about meshing.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Jun 2016 at 6:55 PM Last edited by giannisk13 : 13th Jun 2016 at 7:05 PM.
By 'cut' they mean to separate the hat from the hair - in Milkshape you can select the faces of the hat and then in the Groups tab click Regroup. This splits the mesh into separate groups which can be exported separately. You can separate the hair layers the same way but it's very difficult/near impossible to select those faces accurately in Milkshape.

Normally you'd close the gap by creating new faces in the hair mesh - but I don't have much experience with that. A basic Milkshape meshing tutorial should help.

But - separating hat from hair is a fairly complicated project for a beginner, and my suggestion is that you learn more of the basics by doing simpler projects first, like more non-hat hairs and the combined hat/hair. For the hat color not appearing correctly, you need to adjust the UV texture mapping. In Milkshape you do this in the Window / Texture Coordinate Editor.

Hopefully others can help you with Blender, which I don't use and with all the stuff I don't know about meshing.

Oooooh ok! Yes I too actually thought that a hair with a hat wouldn't be good for a beginer but I said to give it a try! As for the hat it comes separetly already. Can you please be more specific about that tool you said? I mean how do I select the faces? I've already tried the faces tool in the Select tab but it won't do nothing Since I couldn't take my own pics from TS4 studio I've used the ones from the tutorial I've done: In the first pic you can see that a part of the mesh is coloured beige..and in the second pic you can see that this part does not appear on the game...that's ecxactly what happens to my hat! ( I've already done the texture coordinate editor as you said before converting my hair into a TS4 file...however what I have NOTdone is to include the hat's texture in TS4 studio-I've only included the hair's texture...Here's my plan: Since I do have merged the packs I can export the file import into milkshape then create a texture ( which will have both hat and hair textures) AND THEN do the texture coordinate editor once more...then import as a hair mesh in TS4 studio..will this work or naah? --Thanks for reading this--it was too big!

CREDITS :The pics are taken from THIS tutorial.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#17 Old 14th Jun 2016 at 7:55 PM
Sorry not to get back to you sooner!

The only way I know of in Milkshape to try to select layers is to select faces by vertex. In the Model tab, use the settings in the screengrab below and pull the selection box around the vertices you want - Milkshape will select all the faces those vertices are a part of. You can use Shift-left-mousebutton to add to the selection and Shift-right-mousebutton to remove from it. However, with the limitations of Milkshape it's very difficult with many meshes to select only the part you want.

If you didn't include the hat's texture that's probably why you're getting beige in S4Studio and invisible in-game. In TS4 there's only one set of textures (material, specular, bumpmap, shadow) for the hair and you'll have to paste the hat texture in there, maybe in the area meant for hats. You can clone a similar TS4 hat to see where its texture is located. Right now you presumably have transparency in the area the hat is mapped to so it's transparent. So your plan to merge the textures should work.
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Jun 2016 at 9:22 PM Last edited by giannisk13 : 14th Jun 2016 at 9:45 PM.
Sorry not to get back to you sooner!

The only way I know of in Milkshape to try to select layers is to select faces by vertex. In the Model tab, use the settings in the screengrab below and pull the selection box around the vertices you want - Milkshape will select all the faces those vertices are a part of. You can use Shift-left-mousebutton to add to the selection and Shift-right-mousebutton to remove from it. However, with the limitations of Milkshape it's very difficult with many meshes to select only the part you want.

If you didn't include the hat's texture that's probably why you're getting beige in S4Studio and invisible in-game. In TS4 there's only one set of textures (material, specular, bumpmap, shadow) for the hair and you'll have to paste the hat texture in there, maybe in the area meant for hats. You can clone a similar TS4 hat to see where its texture is located. Right now you presumably have transparency in the area the hat is mapped to so it's transparent. So your plan to merge the textures should work.

Are you kidding me?! I got a response in 2 days that's awesome!!I'm not one of those ppl who get mad when they get no response in like the 1st day! No worries!

Ooooh ok I'm giving this a try right now!! I'll update later on what my mesh looks like
UPDATE: Why won't this thing work?! I've tried selecting and de-selecting the mesh done all that things in the pic yet nothing.. Is there a special selection from the menu like draw backfaces ?! Also when you say ''drag the selection box'' you to mean to click on the select box then drag that thing around the faces? If that's it --then nope I've not made it...

--Thanks again as you keep answering to me!!! You're the best!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#19 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 5:15 AM
I assume you're in the Model tab in Select mode. Did you click the Face button in the Select Options underneath, and tick By Vertex? Exactly what's happening when you try it? A picture or two might help.

Yes, the selection box means while you're in Select mode you hold down the mouse button and drag a box around the vertices you want to select.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 11:01 AM
I assume you're in the Model tab in Select mode. Did you click the Face button in the Select Options underneath, and tick By Vertex? Exactly what's happening when you try it? A picture or two might help.

Yes, the selection box means while you're in Select mode you hold down the mouse button and drag a box around the vertices you want to select.

At least! My problem is that you were in side mode view while I was in 3d mode....now it works perfectly! Thank you once more! However what do I do when I'm done with that? Is there a button that saves it as a new layer so that I can start another one? By the way I dunno what's wrong with milkshape but every time I take a pic it's comletely blank for some reason...--Thanks!--
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#21 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 2:18 PM
Once you have the faces selected that you want to separate, go to the Groups tab and hit the Regroup button. This will create a new group containing the faces you selected. Ex: I separated the bangs in that hair into their own group. Groups are very handy because you can select the group and then move, scale, rotate, or do whatever to it. In this case, you may need to move the group up or down in the list of group using the Up and Down buttons. I think the lower layers in the hair are supposed to be higher in the group list and the upper layers are supposed to be lower in the groups list, but I'm not sure of that; you'll have to experiment and keep copies of the mesh with the layers separated in case it gets messed up. When you're done rearranging the layers, you should select all the groups in the groups tab and hit regroup again, and it'll make them into one group.
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 5:37 PM Last edited by giannisk13 : 16th Jun 2016 at 1:05 AM.
Once you have the faces selected that you want to separate, go to the Groups tab and hit the Regroup button. This will create a new group containing the faces you selected. Ex: I separated the bangs in that hair into their own group. Groups are very handy because you can select the group and then move, scale, rotate, or do whatever to it. In this case, you may need to move the group up or down in the list of group using the Up and Down buttons. I think the lower layers in the hair are supposed to be higher in the group list and the upper layers are supposed to be lower in the groups list, but I'm not sure of that; you'll have to experiment and keep copies of the mesh with the layers separated in case it gets messed up. When you're done rearranging the layers, you should select all the groups in the groups tab and hit regroup again, and it'll make them into one group.

Now that's really handy! Giving it a try right now!
UPDATE: It kinda worked! There's more work to put into but anyways..is there however a special way to do this? I've already tried to do it in the way you told me startingtop-bottom but I think I kinda selected random pieces..what creteria do you use to separate the faces? --Thank you
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#23 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 9:14 AM
I'm sorry but I don't work with hair and can't give you more details. All I can say is try to figure out what the layers of hair are where you see the strange glitches, and rearrange them.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 10:56 AM
I'm sorry but I don't work with hair and can't give you more details. All I can say is try to figure out what the layers of hair are where you see the strange glitches, and rearrange them.

Oh ok then! No worries!...It's just a matter of time for me to learn then I'll probably be better!!--Thank you