Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2015 at 1:20 AM
Default S4PE Mods crash.
So I'm hitting a snag in my mod making learning adventures. Anything I do in Sims 4 Package Editor makes my game crash or doesn't work. Even if I don't change anything. I was trying to make a morphsuit, so I made a simple recolor. This loaded into my game fine, but showed features like the face and hair. So I opened up the package editor and selected to hide the face and hair. Loading this package crashed my game (while selecting that item in CAS). Ok, maybe I messed something up. I went back to the original recolor I made with S4Studio, loaded it up in S4PE, and this time exported without changing anything. This still crashed my game.
Adventure 2: Recoloring a pair of glasses. Loaded up in the game fine. Loading the package in S4PE and saving without doing anything: The item doesn't show up in CAS at all.

What's going on? It's possible I'm saving with the wrong settings, but I've used S4PE to pack traits I made with the trait factor and that worked fine.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th May 2015 at 1:27 AM
Do you have the updated CASP wrapper by Cmar? It is posted in Tools.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th May 2015 at 10:42 AM Last edited by Esmeralda : 4th May 2015 at 11:51 AM.
If you mean that your recoloured outfit's texture is showing a face and hair on it, that's what happens if you haven't positioned your outfit recolour in the part of the CAS texture map allocated to outfits, but have instead overlapped the areas allocated to face and hair. You need to keep your various CAS parts within the areas EA has designated within the composite 1024x2048 CAS map - we can't use the whole map for one item. Check the default EA texture that comes with the outfit you cloned, to see where the outfit texture is positioned. (See below screenie for a rough guide.)

ETA: It occurred to me that as a morphsuit is a costume that covers the head and face as well as the body, then in this one case it should be possible to do that by drawing the suit's face and head textures in the face and hair areas of the same texture on which you have your body outfit, then you can have it all on one file as one complete head and body 'outfit' (that was how I made my SHODAN sim here). If it will have a human head, just make your sim bald in CAS before applying the morphsuit texture. But if you want a monster head or similar, then you will have to make a new 'head' (hair) mesh and texture it, as a separate file, in the map area allocated to heads.

What you're trying to do is maybe too ambitious for a first project - work through some tutorials and try just some basic recolours at first, then modifying a few default meshes, until you get the hang of CAS creation, then you can get more fancy from there.
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th May 2015 at 12:10 PM
Actually, this should be in CAS parts since it seems to deal with CAS part stuff editing only. Moving.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th May 2015 at 4:04 PM
I didn't have the wrapper. Updated it, and after some brief weirdness it seems to be working.

I thought a morphsuit would be fairly simple... I exported the dds of a swimsuit and edited it to fill the template (not just the part where the swimsuit was) completely with one color. What I ended up with still shows through the facial features though (with the single color over it) whereas a morphsuit should have a "flat" face.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th May 2015 at 4:34 PM
Ah, if you mean you don't want to see the sim's eyes, ears, nostrils and lips but instead want a smooth featureless 'mask' like a Slenderman type of character, then you will need to make a smooth featureless mesh to cover them - you can't do it with just a recolour. Clone a hair and make a smooth head-shaped/egg-shaped mesh to replace the default hair mesh with, and texture it to match your morphsuit. Try it in-game (it will be categorised under Hairs in CAS) to see if you need to use ExcludePartFlags to exclude the sim head if it shows through your 'mask' mesh.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th May 2015 at 6:26 PM
Just a heads-up, 1.6.69 is out and they mention another "new CAS Part resource". More info upcoming, I'd go stalk http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/pro...SimGuruModSquad to see what that update is exactly.

Just in case you patch and then notice weirdnesses .. there may or may not have been changes made that would affect what you're doing here.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th May 2015 at 7:12 PM
Is it this one? http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_13571857 Or is it yet another change? Oh man, I'm probably finished with making CAS stuff - I think the just-uploaded Plumbots will be my last, will stick to objects from now on. The constant changes to CAS have become beyond ridiculous!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th May 2015 at 7:17 PM
No, I meant this announcement here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...n/832125/1-6-69 -- 1.6.69, not 1.5.whateveritwas.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th May 2015 at 7:48 PM
Wow, that's a huge list of bugfixes - sounds good in theory, but I hope they haven't inadvertently broken anything else in the process of all that. I couldn't see anything specifically about new CAS changes aside from forcing yet more unwanted Star Wars outfits on us all, but it might be because I lost the will to live about halfway through reading that long list and my eyes were glazing over. This did give me a chuckle, though:

"We fixed an issue where a Sim, who was on their way to take a bath, that encountered a pool in their way, would decide to skinny dip their way to the bathtub. This will no longer occur."

It's kind of a shame they fixed that, I never saw that happen and it sounds very amusing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th May 2015 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
Ah, if you mean you don't want to see the sim's eyes, ears, nostrils and lips but instead want a smooth featureless 'mask' like a Slenderman type of character, then you will need to make a smooth featureless mesh to cover them - you can't do it with just a recolour. Clone a hair and make a smooth head-shaped/egg-shaped mesh to replace the default hair mesh with, and texture it to match your morphsuit. Try it in-game (it will be categorised under Hairs in CAS) to see if you need to use ExcludePartFlags to exclude the sim head if it shows through your 'mask' mesh.

Yeah no idea how to do that... I guess this is too ambitious for a first project.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 4th May 2015 at 9:19 PM
As mentioned earlier, it's best to just try making a few easy basic things at first, to get the idea of how Sims creation works. Then once you feel comfortable with it, you can try more challenging stuff.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th May 2015 at 3:35 AM Last edited by zellzoy : 5th May 2015 at 4:03 AM.
Ok, I am making progress with a unitard which is fairly simple. For the female one, I took a full body swimsuit and uploaded a new DDS and it looks fine, and shows up under full body items. For the male one though, I can't figure out how to move it to be in full body instead of underwear. I started with a speedo, and changing checkboxes in studio doesn't move it out of there and into full body.

Edit: I found the option in the "warehouse" tab, however loading up the mod with that changed to full body made the upper body invisible. I checked out if the hide upper body flag somehow got tripped using s4pe but it was still false.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th May 2015 at 10:36 AM
You can't recategorise a bottom mesh as full body, the sim will indeed have no upper body if you do that. What you probably want to try is to simply recategorise it as Everyday and/or Athletic or whatever other non-underwear categories you want it in, then remove the sim's shirt in CAS so that he has a bare chest, which will then show the top part of your unitard.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th May 2015 at 3:27 PM
I also tried categorizing the female outfit as male, but even with the dds made from the male template, the male Sim ended up with boobs and a butt. Guessing I would need to mess with the mesh for that not to be the case?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 5th May 2015 at 5:02 PM
Don't recategorise a female body as male, your male sim will indeed end up with boobs and butt (plus, they'll have big gaps in their necks and ankles). The male template .dds won't make any difference to that, it's only a texture. Just try what I recommended in my last post.

Rather than you continuing to make things hard for yourself, it'd be a good idea for you to read up on some tutorials on meshing and texturing so that you understand how these things work (and don't work!). There are a bunch of TS4 CAS tutorials at the Sims 4 Studio site which might help get you pointed in the right direction. You'll get there!