Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 3:56 AM
Default How to build a beautiful mansion?
When I try to build my mansions,they all end up like boxes,I was wondering if someone can tell me how to build a nice mansion.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 6:01 AM
Scholar
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 10:10 AM
I use house plans for big lots like that too. If you do that, 2 yards or metres to them are one square to us. That's how I do it and it works well. Just look over the plans carefully though and watch out for build issues like diagonal stairs, weird roofs, etc before you go to the trouble of building then finding you can't do it. I always build the base with no auto roof on, then do the roof before I go any further, something that looks simple enough can be a pain when you get to the roof, so do that pretty quickly into the build
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 3:44 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 30th Dec 2009 at 6:50 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 2984162, 2985737
THANKS,I found one with 8 bathrooms and 9 bedrooms

Sorry to doublepost but how do you fit http://www.archivaldesigns.com/hous...Villa%20Valente in a 60x60 lot.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 7:00 PM
The biggest size comes out to 63 yds. Like I said to you, you use 2 to one, so on that side it would be half of 63. It will fit no problem. Look at the floor plan and where it says something like 14 yards or metres, you do seven squares. Do you understand yet?

You can get that lot onto a 40 x 40 if you don't want a garden, but a 60 x 60 will let you have a good garden around it to landscape
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 917893678251
Sorry to doublepost but how do you fit http://www.archivaldesigns.com/hous...Villa%20Valente in a 60x60 lot.

i know i tried doing that one too. Gave up.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 1:13 PM
fluttereyes - 2 yards to 1 square makes beds almost 18 feet long! When I'm adapting house plans, I find 1 yard/meter to 1 square much more satisfactory. Even then, in many plans this makes for bathrooms that are too small to function (especially because I'm too finicky to build a bathroom without a sink), and also 1-square wide hallways that sims get stuck in.

Villa Valente looks *almost* small enough to fit on a 60x60 lot at that scale, its advertised width is 190 feet and on a 60x60 lot you get 174 usable feet of width (no walls at the edge of the lot). I'd take the extra 16 feet out of the portico/attic portion, and move the garage/guest suite closer to the main house. If you find that this screws up the proportions too badly, you could take some out of the right-most rooms on both floors of the main house, if you repurpose the 3-car garage to be something else (garages have to be 8 squares long if you want them to function). I'd go for a public gym, the exercise room appears to be attached to the master bedroom.

That said... I wouldn't want to embark on that house. I would surely end up cussing and throwing objects.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 6:15 PM
Default plans?
so are you going to try it?

this looks like a challenge! the stairs may be a problem though. where was that tutorial for l shaped stairs? i think ill try to layout this house. ill post some shots by friday.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 3:44 PM Last edited by jokera_us : 29th Jan 2010 at 3:49 PM. Reason: forgot to mention ,,,,,,,
as you can see the scale and lot size are wacked on my side. had to readjust some room sizes. working on the ceiling heights for the foyer and living room now.
had some issues with diagonal walls. the wall build tool snaps to one square width and that really makes curves difficult. i want a tighter snap of a half square.

rooms werent lining up

tried to adjust, didnt look right

what i am using now. decided to finish this thing and then try again with what i will learn in the process

thanks
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 7:08 AM
another update
this house is rather tedious!

[IM

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 9:25 PM
looks fantastic, keep up the good work!