Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 6:28 PM
Default Multi-Storey split level houses?
I've been searching and searching for a tutorial on how to do this, but nothing I've found has covered what I want to do. I don't know whether this means it's just not possible, or I'm just being dumb and can't see how to adapt the techniques shown for what I want to do?

I have some CFE experience, but nothing elaborate, and I'm still struggling to adapt to the changes in how it works between TS2 and TS3, which isn't helping me figure it out (oh how I miss being able to just click to the right level...).

Basically, I want the room at the front (we'll call it 1F) to connect to two rooms at the back stacked on top of each other (1B and 2B). 8 steps going up next to 8 steps going down. Then, I want to connect the upper room (2B) to a room above the front room (so, create a new room called 2F placed on top of 1F). Then swing back around, connect 2F to another level at the back (3B), and then finally swing around one more time with stairs up to an attic covering both the F rooms and the B rooms.

Hopefully that's not impossible to follow? In summary, 2 stories at the front, 3 stories at the back, with a shared attic. 3 flights of stairs, 2 u-shaped and 1 straight. Is it possible, and if so, how on earth do I do it?

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 7:45 PM
I’m not sure whether this is exactly what you want but hopefully it’s near enough to allow you to build your house.

Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Split levels.rar (1.59 MB, 36 downloads) - View custom content
dodgy builder
#3 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 8:13 PM
You have to stack the floors somewhere, you can't just leave them out, so it's just a matter of where you want to put the twisted walls.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 10:36 PM
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to put that together! I've been hard at work and have managed to get pretty close to what I was aiming for. (Of course, I ended up having to do it twice, because once I started adding some basic furnishings so that I could test for routing issues I realised I'd miscalculated the size and had to go and build the whole thing again, slightly bigger this time )

Overhead shots

There's a couple of problem spots.

But the big thing that's left to do is the attic. I know what I want to do with it, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it is, and I'm a little concerned about accidentally messing up the rest of the house in the process. I've marked out what I want to be the usable space, and I've temporarily put understairs storage units on one side to mark out roughly the kind of slope I want. I want to have a castable sloped floortile ceiling with the actual roof pitched just high enough to hide the tiles. It's something that I've done once or twice, but always closely following a tutorial and never on top of a house like this. Basically, I'm far from confident with the whole thing.

I may also have gotten a little bit carried away with my temporary uncasted placeholder furniture I've spent way too much time on it considering that I'm probably going to have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch once I figure out what size lot the house is actually going to need. I always use an absurdly large lot when trying to figure out how to do new stuff. But hey, I've been wanting to build this house in game for...nearly ten years? So it's not really surprising that I lost all self control once I got this close!

jus nou drein jus daun
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 7:15 PM
Not sure I can help with your problems. A rug and furniture placed with moveobjects would be my usual work-around for the sunken floor. Either that or a more open stairwell so that you can have an empty space between the stairs and the bedroom.
The roof problem drives me mad as well. If anyone has an answer to that one, I'd love to hear it.
The attic looks very doable. I seem to remenber simension.de having some good tutorials but my computer's currently refusing to connect to the website. I hope it's not disappeared.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 10:10 PM
The difference it height is often best conceiled by adding 1 tile rooms on the side of the staircase, or just leave it open and decorate.

I don't use roof pieces that often. I use flat roofs the most. I know those roof pieces can be a pain though. Perhaps there is a shortcode hidden somewhere.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 5:49 PM
So I found the simension tutorials (thanks for the tip!), and I've read through them a few times, along with a few others, just kind of trying to wrap my head around how it all works. From some of the things I read in them, I was starting to think that I wasn't going to be able to do what I want, but I think I just had a brainwave on how to make it work!

So I guess I'm going to actually start fiddling around with the attic and see if I can actually do this!

jus nou drein jus daun
dodgy builder
#8 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 6:11 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 7th Oct 2016 at 6:24 PM.
You need to pay attention to those floating ceilings. When they are hole/all like that, you may need to replace the floor that is floating at a later time, just make sure it's not too late to make it work. Sometimes a twisted cfe floor cannot be replaced without doing it all over, and that will ruin everything else you do.

cfe can be a pain in the butt. Usually all things has to be done at a specific time in your build, if you don't pay attention to that, you may end up in a neverending loop. Just give it some time and don't give up. Make sure you make a sequence to your self when things has to be done with the least amount of hassle.

cfe has some bugs. Like the hole floor floating, that is easier to fix. Sometimes it's sections of floating tiles or even 1 single tile. Those two last one's are harder to fix. A hole stuck ceiling is just stuck because there was a ceiling there, but it's now been moved. It can usually just be removed without any hassle.

If you end up with lots of floating tiles at the end, they can often be fixed by numerous share to library and replace lot, like 3 times. Clean up the floating tiles as you go, and then export the lot.