Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 9:43 PM
Default "Edit in CAS" problem
So I have the Edit in CAS mod working correctly, however there's one problem. The game spawned me a doctor's assistant who was extremely obese, and I don't like that because it just doesn't feel right. So I go to "Edit in CAS" and try to make him skinny, click the checkmark, and ingame he looks the way I want him to for a few seconds, but then reverts back to being fat again.

I go to edit him and CAS again and for some reason the slider has reset back to the value it was before. And it wasn't just a one time fluke, it keeps doing this over and over and over again. The body fat and muscles sliders just keep resetting back to what they were before and I don't know why, all the other changes I make are keeping just fine but those aren't.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 9:49 PM
I had the same problem, right now the "edit in CAS" mod can't change body weight or the muscles of the Sims, unfortunately. This was already happening in Sims 3, so maybe these values are hard coded in the Sims and can't be modified.

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Scholar
#3 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 10:15 PM
If you have any sliders installed, maybe try using the Body Girth slider and making him thinner than way? He may not lose everything, but he may look better... The sliders seems to work for me in Edit in CAS when I amend Sims that way

...Titanium white...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 11:50 PM
Thanks for the tip, Enjoji! I had the same problem with an overweight guard (must be the remnants of my military service!).

While we're on the subject of Edit in CAS, have any of you marvelous modders been able to figure out how we can save an edited Sim? And not just our Heros, the NPCs as well. I'm particularly anxious to save my Sims' offspring to use in follow-on scenarios!
Instructor
#5 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 6:24 AM Last edited by alexpilgrim : 11th Apr 2011 at 8:43 AM.
mflaha55, there's no easy way, but here's what I did (as suggested by garghuul):

- you have two options, depending if you want your exported Sim to leave your Kingdom forever, or if you want him to stay but just export him. If you want him to leave you can save at the end of this process, but if you want him to stay once you're done quit or go back to the main menu without saving.

- shift-click on the Sim you want to save to give him/her a profession (Knight, Spy, whatever you want).

- go to Kingdom mode and quit the current quest you're on, and then choose the "Brave New World" quest (if it doesn't show up in the book use "showallquests").

- now since your (NPC) heir has a profession he/she will show up in the list of Heroes for this quest, so start the quest with this Sim you want to save.

- do the quest or zip through ctrl-clicking on the tasks. This last option might bork your Kingdom a little, but if you're not saving your game it doesn't really matter.

- after you get the message that your quest is done check that you have a folder called CO in your Saves folder, and that there's a file with a long string of numbers in it, that's your saved Sim. Copy that file straight away and paste it somewhere like your desktop.

- now is when you get back to your Kingdom and your Sim has left to start his new Kingdom elsewhere, so you decide if you want to save or not, but you can just quit without saving, you have what you wanted already, right?

- place the .sim file you copied from the CO folder in your SavedSims folder. You can change the name of the file you place in SavedSims as long as you keep the .sim extension.

- note: the new Sim will only show up in the CAS Sim bin when you quit and restart your game, just exiting to the main menu won't do.

Et voilĂ !

This Sim will have lost his relationships and eventual skills, I think, but this is still better than nothing.

Oh, and if you left the original file in the CO bin you will get the option to use that Sim as a monarch of a new Kingdom, but it's kind of pointless because you have him in your Sim bin. You can delete it, but if you want to keep it to start a new Kingdom with that Sim don't change the name of this file or the game won't recognize it as the exported Sim.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 1:37 AM Last edited by mflaha55 : 12th Apr 2011 at 2:36 AM.
Thank you for the information, Alexpilgrim! I'll give it a try! I'd really like to keep the sim chldren generated by my heros. My Physician just became pregnant by my Wizard (guess that's what happens when they share such close quarters! )

Edit: "Houston, we have a problem!" I was following Alexpilgrim's instructions to save my NPC heir, and when I gave him the knight profession, here's what happened:

This is the way he looks in "Brave New World." Any suggestions?

Maybe I should have chosen the Bard!

I went back in and tried again - made him a bard. Same weird distortion occurred.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Instructor
#7 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 5:58 AM Last edited by alexpilgrim : 12th Apr 2011 at 1:10 PM.
That's so weird! I changed my heir into a Knight and it worked... I mean he didn't turn him into lobster-man! My Sim is born in-game, I've grown him up with "edit in CAS" and gave him the Knight profession to have him do the "Brave New World" quest.

But then again I didn't use my exported Sim in a new Kingdom by choosing him from the CO (the "Brave New World" option to use your expatriate Sim when you create a new Kingdom), I just saved him in my SavedSims folder and picked him in CAS from the Sim bin, so maybe... I don't know, this game does strange things sometimes but maybe you could try see if that works.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#8 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 11:51 AM
Well mflaha55, look on the bright side, at least now the Crab Bandit has some one he can relate to

My problem with the CAS edit is that every time I try to edit my Heir in CAS he becomes a midget version of what I'm trying to make, Any way around that?
Also is there a way to change some ones profession to Monarch?
Instructor
#9 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 11:57 AM
You mean when you grow a child up? Sometimes "grown" kids are midgets in the beginning but are OK once you restart your game. Try saving your kingdom with a different name (with the "save as" option)* and relaunching.

* (so you don't lose your game in case it doesn't work, or save a copy of your kingdom from the "Saves" folder somewhere safe on your computer)

Test Subject
#10 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 1:16 PM Last edited by lubusbtch : 12th Apr 2011 at 1:44 PM.
Ok, I'll try that, thanks.

Edit: It worked, again thank you.
Instructor
#11 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 1:54 PM
Edit: glad it worked!

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mflaha55
"Houston, we have a problem!"
ODL, that was a laugh I totally needed!!!!! Thank you!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 10:58 PM
Okay, folks. I know what I did wrong. I forgot to grow Oliver up by using Edit in CAS first. I tried to give him a profession as a child and, since the outfits are for adults, I got the weird crabman look when the game tried to fit the adult "body" to the child frame. When I wised up and edited Oliver in CAS, it worked. Of course, I got the "dwarf" problem where Oliver kept changing back and forth between a full sized adult and a dwarf. As you can see from the pic below, that kinda cramped his style with the ladies - although maybe not so much (note what's at eye level)!

Oliver hitting on Jessica the Midwife

@lubusbtch - Love your comment about the Crab Bandit! Maybe Duncan should have had a daughter instead! :lol

Click here to see the "undwarfed" Oliver.

Thanks for all of your help. Glad I could give you all a good laugh! Cheers!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Test Subject
#14 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 12:37 AM
try delete your cache files and he will be alright, atleast that work for me
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 2:36 AM
@rezaraflis, do you mean both the simCompositorCache and the compositorCache? I've only ever deleted the simCompositorCache before.
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 3:57 AM
yup..i delete all the cache files
Instructor
#17 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 6:06 AM Last edited by alexpilgrim : 13th Apr 2011 at 11:18 AM.
mflaha55, you can safely delete all three files: simCompositorCache, compositorCache and CASPartCache, the game generates new ones. I guess it's like the cache files of an internet browser, it stores temporary information (or something like that?) but often the information is not really useful or sometimes even unwanted. Btw, your Oliver is pretty dashing! Are you planning on sharing him? I need a new knight.

A side note: I'm noticing many of us assume things as normal procedures because we're used to them from TS3, but I have the feeling many people who play TSM are new to the simming experience, and of course don't necessarily know.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 10:02 PM
alexpilgrim: At your request, I've uploaded Oliver. You can find him here. I hope he'll do Maesbury proud!

Enjoy!

P.S. - You know, he is rather dashing! May have to change my avatar! :D
Instructor
#19 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mflaha55
alexpilgrim: At your request, I've uploaded Oliver. You can find him here. I hope he'll do Maesbury proud!
:D

thank you so much!!!!

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alexpilgrim
mflaha55, you can safely delete all three files: simCompositorCache, compositorCache and CASPartCache, the game generates new ones. ...because we're used to them from TS3, but I have the feeling many people who play TSM are new to the simming experience, and of course don't necessarily know.

Not necessarily new to simming. I have all the S2 eps and sp's, but I haven't played s3 at all. TSM seems to be a lot more like S3 than S2. This hint helped me a lot BTW.
Instructor
#21 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 2:56 PM
Yes, I think technically TSM is more like TS3 (the type of file the game generates, the mods, the framework etc.), but I don't really remember TS2 anymore! :D

Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 5:57 PM
So, there's no way to fix or get around the fat slider problem?
Instructor
#23 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Le Carrera
So, there's no way to fix or get around the fat slider problem?

Not for the moment, unfortunately... I read something about TS3 "body girth" slider working in TSM, maybe that helps?

Field Researcher
#24 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 10:42 PM
Just wanted to add some follow up on alexpilgrim's instructions for saving game-generated offspring (see Post #5 above). In addition to Prince Oliver Scott, son of King Duncan Scott and Troubador Bree Harper, I have two new additions to Maesbury - the sons of Bloodletter Gillian Payne and the mage Rowland D'Arcane (Maesbury appears to be a rather randy kingdom! ). Here are pictures of the adult boys: Edwin Payne and his younger brother Major Payne.

A note concerning the CO file that is generated after you complete the "Brave New World" quest. This is called a carry over file. When I finished the quest, I received a message asking whether I wanted to replace the CO file. At the time, Oliver's file was residing in the CO folder. Apparently, the game only allows one CO file at a time. So, if you want to use any of your game-generated sims (i.e., Hero's offspring) as Monarchs of new kingdoms (see last paragraph of Post #5), be sure you save the file in the CO folder (the one with the lengthy alpha-numeric file name) BEFORE you save any subsequent sim. I saved all three of mine on my external drive and added the character's name to the filename for future ID. Just have to remember to take that portion off of the filename before inserting into the CO folder to start a new kingdom. WHEW! Does all this make sense, or am I beginning to babble again?

@alexpilgrim - Thanks again for the instructions on saving the offspring!
Instructor
#25 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 10:52 PM
It makes perfect sense. What you mean is that the game can one have one CO Sim file at a time, right? That's why one must save the .sim file in the CO folder somewhere else as soon as the game generates it if one want to re-use it later and show up in the CAS Sim bin.

I must say that you have good genes in your Kingdom!

Page 1 of 2