Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2016 at 7:44 PM
Default Alpha Help
I am in need of help with an alpha problem. I have just successfully separated a bottom mesh from a fullbody outfit and am attempting to edit the alpha so that the textures only cover the bottom (where the mesh is) instead of extending all the way up onto the torso. My problem is that one portion of the alpha seems to apply to both the left hip and the right arm--I can get textures off the arm, but then they're missing on the hip, or I can have textures on the whole skirt, but they also cover one of the hands and its forearm. This is not simply a finessing issue--no matter how finely I try to tune, or how small I get my black and white lines, the problem persists. The same spot on the alpha texture is being read by two different places on the 3D sim. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or what might have gone wrong while I was meshing to make the alpha read incorrectly like this? I'm in way over my head and would really appreciate any insight. Thank you.
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Jan 2016 at 9:00 PM
Moved to Bodyshop forum.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Jan 2016 at 9:06 PM
Is this a custom mesh? It sounds like the creator may have made a mistake somewhere...

The first thing to do would be to have a look at the UV map. You can do this in MilkShape; I believe it's covered in one of the beginner tutorials. Once you figure out what's being mapped where, you might be able to fix it or--if it's really messed up--remap it. It may be as simple as moving some of the UV map points around. (You'd probably want to do this, anyway, since adjusting the alpha won't necessarily work in a case like this. If the UV map for the bottom comes up too high, you can end up displaying the bottom texture on the Sim's top... and I'm sure you don't want that!)

If you can't figure it out, try posting a picture of the UV map here and maybe someone can give you some suggestions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 9:17 PM
It is a custom mesh, so this might be exactly what's going on. Thank you so much for the reply--I'll go look up some UV mapping tutorials right away and see if I can fix it. Will post here again if I can't.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 9:22 PM
Ok, I went and checked out the UV map. The problem is that since the mesh is only a bottom, the UV map doesn't show arms at all, so I can't identify where the problem is just by looking at it. I've attached a screenshot of the UV map, in case someone with more knowledge and experience can identify the problem from this. If you can, please help! Thank you so much.

EDIT: I see this attached three copies of the screenshot due to posting problems on my computer. All three images are identical, no need to scour them for differences.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#6 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 12:10 AM
HMM... did you solve it? :D
I'm really bad at this, but mabye... Did you make a new alpha channel or did you edit the one it had?