Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 4:24 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default CC Eyes don't show up
Hey everyone!

I just downloaded a couple of cc eyes but they just won't show up in neither body shop nor the game.
It this file: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=382281

Does anyone know what's causing this and what I can do for the eyes to show up?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 5:18 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Sep 2018 at 5:29 PM.
Looks like those eyes won't show up ingame, because they lack important resources (text lists and Binary Index). They're files copied from the creator's project folder, instead of having been imported to the game/SavedSims folder and copied from there. It's a common mistake, particularly for beginners or people who haven't uploaded much before.

The creator may not be available for questions, so the easiest way is to remake them to make them show up (extract the texture and thumbnail with SimPE and use those for new recolors, and remember to click the "import to game" button in Bodyshop).

Project files are only useful while in Bodyshop, and can't be read by the game. The Package files in the Project folders are template files, so the same project can be used several times.Only files properly imported to SavedSims will show ingame (properly made files always have an 8 digit string of numbers and letters in front of the project name, something like "1ff8a60e_sepia-eyes" (but they can of course be renamed).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 6:20 PM
Ah damn - looks like a few of their downloads are the same Simmer22. I need to mark those threads for deletion. @xXToastyXx do you want to download any files you need before I do that?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#4 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Ah damn - looks like a few of their downloads are the same Simmer22. I need to mark those threads for deletion. @xXToastyXx do you want to download any files you need before I do that?

@maxon: I think it should be possible to salvage the eye sets by building the missing resources. It'll be a bit tedious, but the doing doesn't look too complicated.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 9:40 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Sep 2018 at 10:45 PM.
It's possible, and shouldn't be too hard.

What I'd do is to make a new project with one of the regular default eyes, then make as many files as needed with that project (give each file a tooltip, and import to game!), delete the project, close Bodyshop, then extract the textures and thumbs with SimPE, replace the textures and thumbnails in the new files (found in SavedSims) with the ones from the old files, then compressorize the files. It's so much faster than having to do everything with Photoshop/Gimp, and it also goes around the problem where Bodyshop lowers the texture quality.

You don't need to be very accurate in Bodyshop, because you can change tooltips and textures in SimPE.

I often use this method when I make batches of files I intend to change in SimPE anyway.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
It's possible, and shouldn't be too hard.

What I'd do is to make a new project with one of the regular default eyes, then make as many files as needed with that project (give each file a tooltip, and import to game!), delete the project, close Bodyshop, then extract the textures and thumbs with SimPE, replace the textures and thumbnails in the new files with the ones from the old files, then compressorize the files. It's so much faster than having to do everything with Phitishop/Gimp, and it also goes around the problem where Bodyshop lowers the texture quality.

You don't need to be very accurate in Bodyshop, because you can change tooltips and textures in SimPE.

I often use this method when I make batches of files I intend to change in SimPE anyway.

As far as I can tell, the BINX and STR# resources for eyes are all the same, except for the Group numbers and the sort indexes. Export a BINX and STR# from one of the creator's good sets, import them into the packages that are missing those resources, fix the Group numbers in the Resource tab, update the sort indexes. Do that, and the packages should look just like ones that were imported to the game from Body Shop.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 10:22 PM
I've corrected things before and reuploaded (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=602266 and http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=564405) - I could probably do that if you really want me to - problem is that the site rules say we can't have broken files so the threads will have to go. I'll look at it tomorrow. No need to add parts of the file, the easiest thing to do is simply extract the textures and make new files. I feel a bit of a fraud uploading other people's stuff though. I won't delete the threads till we've sorted it out.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 10:58 PM
IYou could try extracting and adding the missing resources, but make sure to edit the "group" line in the "resource" tab to match the rest of the resources in each file (use the one from either of the XTOL, STR#, TXMT or TXTR resources - the CLST has a different Group name).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 11:03 PM
That would be caught these days. OP, glad you brought it to our attention. If you look under the spyglass it says 'package unknown' that's the big clue that its project folder files. If you see any more please report them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#10 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
IYou could try extracting and adding the missing resources, but make sure to edit the "group" line in the "resource" tab to match the rest of the resources in each file (use the one from either of the XTOL, STR#, TXMT or TXTR resources - the CLST has a different Group name).

Project files also have incomplete 3IDRs. For eyes, they're missing fields for the:
jpg/tga/png Image
Text Lists
Collection
Texture Overlay XML

in that order.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 6:20 AM
The thing I don't get is how it can have over 1000 downloads and nobody noticed that it didn't work.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 6:44 AM
They probably did and said nothing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
They probably did and said nothing.

1000 people? And two posted saying how pretty they were lol.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:10 AM
Thank you for your help. That's a pity that they don't work.

However, I don't have any clues about editing cc eyes because I have never done that before. :D
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 11:32 AM
I'll have a look at them today.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
1000 people? And two posted saying how pretty they were lol.

Odd. It's entirely possible they have so many eyes they didn't even realize they were not showing and the comment was probably for the picture showing on the upload itself. I don't know what else to think lol.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dharden
Project files also have incomplete 3IDRs. For eyes, they're missing fields for the:
jpg/tga/png Image
Text Lists
Collection
Texture Overlay XML

in that order.

The safest is to remake the eyes with Bodyshop. That way you're sure the files will work. Project Package files are only meant to be templates, after all.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I'll have a look at them today.

@maxon: I've already fixed both the set the OP asked about and this set. I still need to check the larger set in Body Shop, but I have checked the smaller set, and it does work.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 2:41 PM
@maxon: I just finished checking the set the OP asked about, and all the packages work. What should I do with them, attach to the original threads, or upload separately? If upload separately, do you think it would be OK if I re-use their screenshots?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 3:56 PM
@maxon: I just finished checking the set the OP asked about, and all the packages work. What should I do with them, attach to the original threads, or upload separately? If upload separately, do you think it would be OK if I re-use their screenshots?

Let me ask Tash if I can upload fixed files. I'll get back to you.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 8:35 PM
Thank you very much for your help!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 11:57 PM
@dharden - could you pm me the files or stick them up somewhere (Sims File Share)?

Sorry to be a bit slow about this - I've had a bit of a crap week (and a busy one to boot).

Forum Resident
#23 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 3:06 PM
@maxon: I put them up on my Box; sent you a PM with the links.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 6:26 PM
@maxon: I put them up on my Box; sent you a PM with the links.

Thanks @dharden - I'll have to check them (moderating rules) and will see if we can get the files replaced on the upload thread. I'll let you know what happens.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 3:07 PM
@xXToastyXx - I finally have got around to dealing with these files. I now have working copies. I wanted to ask you whether you wanted genetic versions of them or just straight custom as they are originally? Or did you get copies of the files already?

I spoke to Tash about updating the fixed files on the thread (rather than reuploading) and he has agreed that we can do that, given certain rules. For one thing, the original creator has to be long gone from the site and I suggested that I and the other TS2 moderators need to agree to any changes before we start updating threads - but I will explain the rules in another WCIF thread posting. Anyway, the files are nearly ready. Let me know what you would like if you have a preference.

Page 1 of 2