Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 2:38 PM Last edited by artrui : 7th Jan 2016 at 5:15 PM.
Default Reference the game textures of a modified item
The question is about:
If I've edited a game mesh, changed it's footprint, material, size ect, but not the textures, is it possible to reference the relevant textures from game? How to do it with S4pe and with Sims4Studio?

I'm searching for every new idea to deal with the Sims! To me this game's just like a tool. One can change and create everything he/she wants!
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 2:42 PM
S4S allows the editing of *time* now?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 3:00 PM
If you use TSRW to clone an item, it will keep all the textures referenced by default (with a few exceptions like wallmasks). I don’t know about S4S; maybe someone else can help you with that. To edit the references in an existing package, you can use s4pe (make sure you use the current version if the item was cloned from a post-1.13 game): in MODL, and the MLODs with group 0, there is a list of material definitions; each one links to the specular, diffuse, and bumpmap textures (sometimes also alpha maps; those are usually the same as the diffuse). What you would need to do is copy and paste the IDs of the original textures in there. If your item has a lot of material variants, it is probably a lot simpler to re-clone it though, rather than edit it afterwards.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 5:44 PM
I have no experience with TSRW yet, since I haven't played Sims 3. It sounds a lot of thing I must learn.
Is there a tutorial for beginner about the currect version s4pe? I have opened one of my edited package by s4pe 0.4.1_beta. All the number under group beginn with 0. There is only one MODL, but a lot of MLODs. Where is the list of material definitions?
Till now, I use S4S and blender to modify contents.

I'm searching for every new idea to deal with the Sims! To me this game's just like a tool. One can change and create everything he/she wants!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 6:02 AM
Re. the group numbers -- I forgot earlier that they're not all 0: the 0x00000000 one is the high LOD, 0x00000001 is the medium LOD. See screenshot (MODL is the low LOD; the shadow meshes are marked in blue). Select one of them, hit "Grid", hit the three dots at the right hand side, that will show you a list of all of the entries.

Like I said above, it is probably simpler to clone the whole thing with TSRW though (or figure out how it works in S4S to leave the references intact):

1. click "Create New Project"
2. select "Object" and hit "Next"
3. Use the foldout menu at the left to select the object you want (if the category isn't in the list, use the "unknown Category" section and search by name)
4. enter your name and description, hit "Next"; then select the "Mesh" tab: the box with the green arrow is the import button. TSRW comes with blender and milkshape import/export plugins that you can use to save your item as .wso (the .obj import option is for TS3, not TS4; TS4 object meshes need to be wso).

Another way to change texture references in existing packages would be to import them in TSRW ("New Import" instead of "Object", then select .package at the bottom of the file browser window ), and then use Edit > Project Contents to renumber the textures (right-click on the texture in the list > "Renumber"). That might be the best way for you since it'll show you the textures that are in the package, so you can see which is which. Then export to package, open the package in s4pe and delete the images (now that they have the same numbers as the in-game ones, the game will use the actual in-game textures instead).
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 3:08 PM
Thanks for the reply with screenshots. I have still a lot of problems in practice.
1. I opened one of my package in s4pe. No matter which MLOD or MODL I chose, the "Grid" buttom is always grey. I can not open the further path.
The marked MLODs (with red and blue) are two LODs and 3 Shadows data. Where is the LOD 2 (low)?
If I open the SData tree, which one links to the specular, diffuse, and bumpmap textures? I see in your screenshot the "DiffuseMap" under [0E]SData and "NormalMap" under [15]SData. There are so many SData. Is there a rule of this order?
Must I manually copy and paste the texture ID into all meshes and shadow meshes (from high to low)?

2. I've tried to install TSRW. By starting this tool is there a report: "TSR Workshop could not locate the game folder for Sims 3. Would you like to browse for it manually?"
I have only SIms 4 installed. I can not open "Creat New Project". I chose Sims 4 folders. It said: "Can not continue without game paths set."
Then, I tried "Open Project". It needs *.wrk data.
It seems that you use TSRW to only get the texture ID in this case? If it is so, I think it's possible to get that in S4S, too.
A further bad news is that it requires .wso. My blender (v2.70) can not export this kind of data.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by artrui
Thanks for the reply with screenshots. I have still a lot of problems in practice.
1. I opened one of my package in s4pe. No matter which MLOD or MODL I chose, the "Grid" buttom is always grey. I can not open the further path.

That sounds like what usually happens when people use WinRAR to extract it. Did you use 7zip (like it says in the download info)?

The marked MLODs (with red and blue) are two LODs and 3 Shadows data. Where is the LOD 2 (low)?

That is the MODL, I already said that above.

Must I manually copy and paste the texture ID into all meshes and shadow meshes (from high to low)?

Shadow meshes do not have materials. Other than that, yes. This is why I said it would be simpler to re-clone it (but when you have an object that only has one material or that you don't want or, or can't, re-clone for some reason, you could also do it this way)

2. I've tried to install TSRW. By starting this tool is there a report: "TSR Workshop could not locate the game folder for Sims 3. Would you like to browse for it manually?"
I have only SIms 4 installed. I can not open "Creat New Project". I chose Sims 4 folders. It said: "Can not continue without game paths set."
Then, I tried "Open Project". It needs *.wrk data.

It only wants .wrk data when that is what you have selected at the bottom. This is why I said above, "select .package at the bottom of the file browser window".

A further bad news is that it requires .wso.

It would only need a .wso if you'd try to import a new mesh. I thought what you were doing was edit your existing package? Re. blender, did you install the export scripts that come with TSRW? Off the top of my head I don't know which blender version they require atm, though (I have a coupel of different blenders installed).

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 12:43 PM
I found a tutorial about how to use selective cloning to reference a repository item. http://sims4studio.com/thread/1483/...&scrollTo=38838
I find to reference the textures by S4S is much easy.