Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 12:37 AM
Default Monkey bars
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knows how I could make the monkey bars for kids passable underneath. If I put them over a pool for example, or leading from one platform to another, so that sims can swim/walk underneath it and the kids can still play on it.

I've made it work with a pool using moveobjects on and deleting the pool underneath. Sims will swim under it and the kids will climb it...sometimes...until I leave the lot and come back, then it becomes unusable again. I've looked at the files and tried all kinds of reduced placement slots and "things it can intersect" etc. but I can't figure it out.

Anyone have any ideas?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 12:54 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 10th Jan 2016 at 1:12 AM.
Have you tried removing or editing the footprint?

Removing it would be the simple, brute force way: find the OBJDs in the game files (in s4pe you can search for "Monkey", filter for OBJD), open the grid view and put 0x00000000-0x00000000-0x0000000000000000 in the "Footprint" line. If there's issues with that, you can also grab the footprint (0xD382BF57-0x00000000-0x2B9DC24B1EE13663) and in AllowIntersectionTypes set Sims to True. That's probably the better way since you only need to override one resource instead of five or however many colours there are. Or is this what you already did?

E: ah, you also need to set "footprintpolyflag_pathing" to False in the first one, in AreaTypeFlags. That works then.
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Have you tried removing or editing the footprint?

Removing it would be the simple, brute force way: find the OBJDs in the game files (in s4pe you can search for "Monkey", filter for OBJD), open the grid view and put 0x00000000-0x00000000-0x0000000000000000 in the "Footprint" line. If there's issues with that, you can also grab the footprint (0xD382BF57-0x00000000-0x2B9DC24B1EE13663) and in AllowIntersectionTypes set Sims to True. That's probably the better way since you only need to override one resource instead of five or however many colours there are. Or is this what you already did?

E: ah, you also need to set "footprintpolyflag_pathing" to False in the first one, in AreaTypeFlags. That works then.

Thanks Plasticbox!
The search in S4pe didn't work for me, I tried updating too, but it does nothing. I opened a "new" file and used the search tab under tools, but nothing happens. So I extracted the monkey bars with S4Studio and opened it with S4pe. I'm not seeing the AllowIntersectionTypes or footprintpolyflag_pathing though...argh, sorry, doing things in S4pe is new to me, I must be missing something. I've had a look in TSRW, but there I see two footprints and everything looks different again...
How do you do that?! You make it look so simple, LOL! You probably did that in two minutes and I've been trying to figure it out for ages!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 11:44 AM
RE. not seeing the footprint stuff: do you have an old version of s4pe, perhaps? The current one is here.

When you say you "opened a "new" file and used the search tab " ... did you actually open the package you want to search? Searching a new (empty) file will of course not yield any results.

Anyhow since I've already told you the ID of that footprint, you don't need to search any more -- open fullbuild0, paste "0x2B9DC24B1EE13663" in the Instance box at the bottom, hit "Set", tick "Filter Active" (see first screenshot). Rightclick on the file in the list > Copy, File > New, rightclick on the empty list > Paste. Then select the resource you just pasted in there and hit "Grid" at the bottom. This will open the data grid where you can edit stuff (see second screenshot). Commit, Save.
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 1:27 PM
RE. not seeing the footprint stuff: do you have an old version of s4pe, perhaps? The current one is here.

When you say you "opened a "new" file and used the search tab " ... did you actually open the package you want to search? Searching a new (empty) file will of course not yield any results.

Anyhow since I've already told you the ID of that footprint, you don't need to search any more -- open fullbuild0, paste "0x2B9DC24B1EE13663" in the Instance box at the bottom, hit "Set", tick "Filter Active" (see first screenshot). Rightclick on the file in the list > Copy, File > New, rightclick on the empty list > Paste. Then select the resource you just pasted in there and hit "Grid" at the bottom. This will open the data grid where you can edit stuff (see second screenshot). Commit, Save.

Ah, ok, looks like I was sent to an old "update", thanks for the new one! Oooh ok, I get it now, couldn't find the exact place to make the changes, followed your instructions and got it! It's a default replacement isn't it? Couldn't find it at first, hehe! How do you make it non default? Or a lot of sims will get kicked in the head in future

YES! Ok, here we go! It seems sims can now swim and walk under it...but they can't play on it anymore...tried a few more changes...messed it up...uhem...redid what you said to fix it...but how do you get them to play on it?
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 2:02 PM
I guess they can't play because there is a pool under it? Have you checked whether they can use the object when you place it on solid ground?

"Non default" would mean you give that footprint you edited a custom ID (hashed from something that includes your user name), copy the OBJD and COBJ of the original, renumber them too, and paste the ID of your custom footprint in the Footprint field in OBJD.

You may also want to give them a custom name so you can easier tell them apart in game (create a new STBL, add one entry with a hash from something like "K9DB_monkeybar-name" as key and your name in the Value field, then put that key in the Name Hash field in COBJ). More info on STBL edits see http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=570244 .

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 2:54 PM
Thanks for the non-default info, I'll have to check at out.
Yup, it works on the ground. Any idea how to make them ignore the pool?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 3:12 PM
No, I would assume that is a general routing thing. Maybe check the XML for "pool" to see if there's anything tunable .. but I rather think messing with that would lead to sims walking on water everywhere =P

I dunno, maybe you can find the pool stuff and make different sorts of pools; I haven't looked at that.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 3:27 PM
No, I would assume that is a general routing thing. Maybe check the XML for "pool" to see if there's anything tunable .. but I rather think messing with that would lead to sims walking on water everywhere =P

I dunno, maybe you can find the pool stuff and make different sorts of pools; I haven't looked at that.

Hmm...that sounds like it might be impossible, or at least not without creating more problems. Thanks for the help though, I'll try a few things and see.
It's weird though, I managed to get it to work a few times, even with the original monkey bars, at least until I left the lot...or they "remembered" the pool underneath.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by K9DB
Thanks for the non-default info, I'll have to check at out.
Yup, it works on the ground. Any idea how to make them ignore the pool?

It is possible if you build the pool a floor lower. See my example in lot "Jungle Adventure". That climber is not modified. But you see, it is possible to remove the middle part of floor. That don't break the play action.

I'm searching for every new idea to deal with the Sims! To me this game's just like a tool. One can change and create everything he/she wants!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by artrui
It is possible if you build the pool a floor lower. See my example in lot "Jungle Adventure". That climber is not modified. But you see, it is possible to remove the middle part of floor. That don't break the play action.

Thanks Artrui! I'll try something like that and see if I can find a way...maybe it'll work with foundations...hmmm...
I love your creations by the way, I like building the way you do too, so thanks for sharing
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 6:29 PM
Using foundations might be a good idea! If you make them super low, they can look like a sort of .. little plaza with a curb, I think -- quite appropriate actually for a play area in a garden =)

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 9:50 PM
Using foundations might be a good idea! If you make them super low, they can look like a sort of .. little plaza with a curb, I think -- quite appropriate actually for a play area in a garden =)

Yeah, that sounds like it might look pretty natural, going to try now, let you know how it turns out!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 12:48 AM
It's very fiddly, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...then I got it working and changed the floor of the platform...and then it stopped working again! Argh! Will try again tomorrow...need sleep...brain fried. Maybe I'll look at some pool objects and see how they work, maybe if the monkey bars could float or something?...