Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 12:20 AM
Default Custom thumbnail not overwriting game created one?
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
I created a custom thumbnail because the game created one isn't "turned" enough to make the object look good. I finally managed to get the right one to show up in the catalogue, but the one the sim uses in their cue is still the game created one.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 1:34 AM
Did you make sure to delete localthumbscache? If you don't do that, the old version may still be stuck in there.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 1:48 AM
Yup, did that, didn't help
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st May 2016 at 6:57 PM
Did you ever fix your issue?
What tool are/were you using to create your object? If you use S4Studio then it should generate all of the sizes of thumbnail the game will need. If you're using a different tool then I'm not sure. Perhaps you have only overridden the large size thumbnails?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Did you ever fix your issue?
What tool are/were you using to create your object? If you use S4Studio then it should generate all of the sizes of thumbnail the game will need. If you're using a different tool then I'm not sure. Perhaps you have only overridden the large size thumbnails?

Hi Menaceman, I asked over at Sims4Studio and Orangemittens wrote up a tutorial for people having this issue. It works on the object itself now, but since I want the toys made at the woodwork table...the toy the sim makes doesn't work, thumbnails are wrong again Thanks for asking, I'll have to see if I can figure it out.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 9:30 PM
Just a thought, could you pull the game generated one from the thumbnailcache, import it into your package, and then override it there?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Just a thought, could you pull the game generated one from the thumbnailcache, import it into your package, and then override it there?

Nice idea, unfortunately it's the game generated one that doesn't look good. Been trying to override it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 10:27 AM
How about this then? I've been messing with thumbnails myself recently.
Open up the localthumbcache with s4studio and see if you can find the thumbnail that needs fixing in there. If it is in there then delete everything else from the cache and save the package under a new name. Now replace the thumb in that package with the one you want to use.
Drop this new package that just contains a single thumbnail in your mods folder and delete your localthumbcache so that the game is forced to create a new one.
Get a Sims to play with one of your newly crafted toys and see which thumbnail shows up.
If the correct one is now showing then you can merge your object package and the thumbnail package together into one.
This way around the thumbnail image retains the Type, Group, and Instance data needed to override the one the game would try to create.
I hope I explained that well enough.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 4:34 PM
Hmm...I didn't even know you could do that with S4Studio, I'll give it a try.

Thanks Menaceman, I'd gotten so frustrated with this project that I stopped working on it, it's great to have some help
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by K9DB
Hmm...I didn't even know you could do that with S4Studio, I'll give it a try.

Thanks Menaceman, I'd gotten so frustrated with this project that I stopped working on it, it's great to have some help

Sorry it took so long, having trouble getting my game started, it seems to happen when I'm working on a project...very convenient huh?
Well, the thumbnail works when the kid plays with the toy now, YAYYYY!!! Thank Menaceman!!
But...the catalogue thumbnail is wrong now...
The toy became invisible too, but that could be because it was the same one I'd used before, not a newly made one...I hope...
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 3:57 PM
Well I'm glad to see that things are sort of moving in the right direction for you.