Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 10:11 AM
Default Sims 4 Paintings
I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to create stand alone custom paintings. Thank you ^^
Advertisement
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#2 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 11:58 AM
You can find some at TSR ( http://www.thesimsresource.com ), they have a tool to make such things, but it is still in Beta, and not available to the general public yet, as it is still experimental and buggy. Other than that, no, it hasn't been fully figured out yet. It'll happen though, will just take some time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 6:47 PM
Thank you for replying
Test Subject
#4 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 4:37 PM
Some creators from TSR allow recoloring their objects (you can read it in their creations), but if you want to recolor a painting and upload it in other site, things change. I explain my experience. I saw different sites where people are uploading their paintings recolored (some crediting the original creator, some don't), so I ask the creators (to avoid future problems) if I can recolor and upload some paintings. At this moment so far, one answer me yes and another one told me yes only if I do it at TSR

I don't know why some people get permission to recolor and upload and others don't...if only they explain their criteria...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 5:12 PM
That is something I was also wondering about (see also this thread at EA: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...e-frames#latest -- maybe someone will reply there) .. the only comment so far was along the lines of "they don't want people to recolour because the meshes are included" but somehow I fail to see how that would make sense (to use a recolour of a custom thing, you'd have to get the mesh either way, so if you want to maliciously mess with it in some way .. you can always do that .. ).

Dunno, now that @HugeLunatic has a custom mesh finished and posted, maybe she would know more about that? Are there any technical problems with recolouring custom objects at this point?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 2:34 PM
Far as I can tell, the only way to recolor cc objects is by importing into TSRW as a new package. But this creates a new clone, and includes the meshes. TSR does not allow their meshes off site.

Someone at here has managed to make recolors for objects by fiddling with hex editors. So if you can do that, you can recolor those paintings without including the meshes.

As to permission, it's generally up to the creator. As to why you see recolors elsewhere, those people are possible not following the creators TOU.
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 7:52 PM
Hi HugeLunatic, I don't know if I understand correctly, so using S4sape with a cc object to recolor it also clone the mesh?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Far as I can tell, the only way to recolor cc objects is by importing into TSRW as a new package. But this creates a new clone, and includes the meshes. TSR does not allow their meshes off site.

Someone at here has managed to make recolors for objects by fiddling with hex editors. So if you can do that, you can recolor those paintings without including the meshes.

You mean jeangraff's trash can? Far as I can see, that does include everything (i.e. is a full clone). Or does it not? Maybe you can tell better, seeing as you're the object creator here

(This is not to say that all of this is actually necessary. At least with FTPT I know for certain that it works fine to just reference any old ftpt, no need to include that. Same goes for LITE and _RIG probably. The MLODs have a MaterialNameHash, is that something to do with the custom diffuse? )
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#9 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 12:10 PM
whatsims on Tumblr made a tutorial on how to recolor objects using S4PE. I just thought that some of you might find it useful (I know I do!). Click HERE.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 12:43 PM
Thank you, but just to clarify: that is a tutorial on replacing a texture, not on recolouring as in making more colour options. (It is of course useful in those cases where you actually want to replace it and get rid of the old texture that way)

Test Subject
#11 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 12:49 PM
Ah, thanks for clarifying! Haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Test Subject
#12 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 10:53 PM
has anybody figured this out yet. I have recolored some paintings I downloaded from TSR, I will not upload them because I have not asked for permission, but I figured what I do to objects that will appear in my game, and my game only won't bother anyone (at least I hope not, and I was using it more as a tutorial for myself than anything). I was hoping to figure out how to do more than just replace the existing textures, and instead also be able to add more to it. Right now there are 2 color choices in game, but I was hoping to get to give the entire rainbow + a black white image. If anybody finds a tutorial of how to do this, please link it.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 9:46 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 22nd Nov 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Please stop posting requests for tutorials/tools here or I will start nuking them like all other requests.

Also, one doesn't need to make "me too" posts in order to subscribe to a thread -- there is a handy "Subscribe" button at the top of all threads for that exact purpose.

Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 2:43 PM
Okay, this tutorial for tumblr is made for retexture meshes created by the community. But there's a way to export and recognize meshes from the game?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 2:50 PM
Maybe read the second post in this thread?

Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 5:38 PM
I tried to retexture TSR mesh and the results are nice. But I was searching for a way to extract EA meshes and retexture the. I don't care if a new object is created, 'cause my subjects are very different from the original ones.
PS: I'm not intentioned to upload my creations, so I won't get involved in copyright issues even if I work EA meshes
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chris_leo
I tried to retexture TSR mesh and the results are nice. But I was searching for a way to extract EA meshes and retexture the. I don't care if a new object is created, 'cause my subjects are very different from the original ones.
PS: I'm not intentioned to upload my creations, so I won't get involved in copyright issues even if I work EA meshes

The painting I retextured looks really nice, I used a random painting I liked on the internet. The main picture was red and grey-scale, so by messing with the hue I can make the red portion change to any other color, which would make a wonderful array of recolors along with a solid grey-scale piece. I just want the TSR workshop released, or for any other workshop really (it just seems like the TSR one is the closest with the whole object creation aspects).
Test Subject
#18 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 10:14 PM
@atiggerx33
I'm glad for you but I would ask you if you worked with custom meshes or the EA ones. I may be monomaniacal, but I wanna know if, with S4PE is possible to extract objects from the game and retexture them.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#19 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 10:36 PM
chris_leo, could you be clearer about what exactly you want to do? "Extracting objects" doesn't really tell us much, because the important thing is what you want to do with whatever you've extracted.

Replacing textures for custom objects is possible, with the tutorial above. It's also possible to replace textures for EA objects, if that's what you're interested in doing, I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you how. Unfortunately the only way to make new textures for any object is with the TSR tool, so you can't do that yet.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.