Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 10:21 PM
Default Window slot
I'm trying to create a resized window from the "let there be light" window. I'm doing this in Sims 4 studio and I have made all the required meshes and it looks good in studio, however when I go to place the window, it thinks the window is still full sized and gives me a full wall height window hole. This leaves a hole in the wall above and below the window and I need to resize the hole. I was trying to find a windows tutorial and there doesn't seem to be one. Does anyone know what I have to do to change the hole in the wall? Note: I hate drywall, drywall guck, putty knives and sanding dry drywall guck after taping.

Once the can is open - The worms are free!
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 10:55 PM
Last I heard S4S doesn't do wall masks. You'll need to use TSRW for this.

Here is the basic intro post on how to use it: http://forums.thesimsresource.com/i...t-instructions/ -- the rest of it would be blender (which I assume you already know/have done), and you may or may not need Milkshape to convert/import your object (there was a user recently who confirmed that direct import and export (not via Milkshape) is working for them; for me it did not but I don't know why).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 11:14 PM
Okies, Thank you. Will give it a go and see if it plays with blender. I have other items that are still in process that work with the sims so hopefully no problems.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 11:23 PM
This is the thread which has the obj import thing mentioned: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=558046 -- obj export definitely does work, I do that all the time.

I never tried very hard to get the import to work myself, since I already have Milkshape (I do all meshing in blender, then export to obj and import that in Milkshape and back out as a wso (the proprietary format that TSRW is using)) .. so I dunno what makes it work/not work. Maybe check to make sure you have the correct blender version if you run into hiccups, I believe the obj export is for one specific version.

And the wallmask is in one of the last two tabs, you'd need to export / adjust / import like with other textures. Be aware that Maxis apparently have changed something about their wallmask thing recently -- I'd not clone from an EP door/window, use one of the base game ones. See this post http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=560248 for pointers (at the bottom).

Also, in TSRW you'll often see warning prompts (even when you do bog standard things like exporting a mesh to wso) -- I never do anything else but "yes proceed anyway" and tick the "yes proceed" box when there is one (that one's a bit hard to see since it's in the middle of some text).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 12:05 AM
This will take some doing apparently. They mention plugins for milkshape and blender but no actual links. I will keep trying.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 12:34 AM
The plugins are included with the download.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 12:52 AM
Ah ok. What I wanted to do will have to wait then as I cannot import my meshes directly in and will have to redo them in the export that I did with TSRW. We'll play with this tomorrow.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 12:57 AM
Hm, if you made your existing meshed in blender you should be able to .. whatsitcalled, not Import .. Merge? Add? Append? that .blend to any other .blend. So if you made a new export now and have that open in blender, you shouldn't need to re-do all your work.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 2:08 AM
The problem is that stuff I exported as a blend is coordinated as Z being the height where stuff exported as an obj is coordinated as y being height. By the time I do all the merging and deleting and whatnot its quicker just to redo the vertices and yes I was thinking of rotating but if you ever seen the result of my rotate, it's quicker just to redo. I wrote down all the vertice changes so its not as horrible as it sounds. I only have to do 14 changes on 6 objects so it will go quick. I just did one of the meshes and other than the fact that I hit save instead of export, things should go well. I just have to remember, import, save as blend do the changes, save as blend and then export.

Edit, one Q tho, is windows 1 the same as windows 2? they appear to be so maybe I only have to do 1?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 2:24 AM
OK I just did one mesh, in between posts so as you can see its not a long process.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ethyrdude
one Q tho, is windows 1 the same as windows 2? they appear to be so maybe I only have to do 1?

"windows 1" in what context now? (Are the groups named like that? Or the fies? Or something else entirely?)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 2:55 AM
Sorry I was giving you what my mind interpreted, I meant to say there are Model 1 - HighDetail, Model 1 -MediumDetail, etc and then it repeats as Model 2 - HighDetail... So I was just wondering if I could use all of Model 1 for 2?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 2:57 AM
And I just finished all of model 1 so I am ready for two.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 3:06 AM
Apparently I am not going to be successful with TSRW either, I got an error stating that index was outside the bounds of the array.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 3:15 AM Last edited by ethyrdude : 24th Jul 2015 at 6:38 AM. Reason: More info
Oh wait, I have to install a new blender, maybe that will help.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object reference, then I tried it again and it seemed to work but then when I continued, the program crashed. Sorry to be such a bother and thank you for all your help. It seems I only have problems with windows and doors and I have an idea as a work around for the window problem any ways and go from there.

Edit once more: I used the casement window to get the hole I needed and that works but now I just have to tweak the window frame down a little to match up with the existing hole, I'm almost there but the vision grows weary and I will finish it tomorrow. I couldn't get TSRW to play nicely, for some reason the exports are missing one of the objects which is why the errors but at least I was able to get studio to work. I will put together a brief explanation of how I got it to work for anyone who wishes to try and create a window the way I did it, tho I am sure there are more elegant ways. Night all and see yah later!

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 2:56 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 24th Jul 2015 at 3:31 PM.
"Index outside bounds of array" is what you'd see when your groups don't match the original.

And I've just seen your edit above about the LODs -- they are meant to be different for different levels of rendering detail; I guess since windows tend to be rather boxy the diffference won't be very big or obvious. But different LODs do not necessarily have the same number or order of groups (the low detail one is usually very different) so if you C+Pd between them instead of dealing with them separately, that may have messed up your groups?

Things missing from the export is something I don't know about .. you seem to have exported a .blend, did I get that right? I always export to .obj and never had issues with missing stuff.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 9:00 PM
In TSRW I exported obj only, there was no option for blends, I made my changes and then I tried to import the modified objs back in. It kept trying but kept throwing errors so in the end I just gave up, cloned a casement window in Sims 4 Studio and imported my meshes back in. This gave me the right sized hole but the window was out of alignment with it so I just moved all the objects in each mesh down a certain amount and kept trying it in game until the window lined up with the hole. I also made a new clone of the window this morning and gave the mesh two panes instead of one. I am having a bit of an issue with the texture right now though, so I am working on getting that fixed.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#18 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 9:43 PM
I made my changes and then I tried to import the modified objs back in

Ah, that might have been your problem then -- if I understood that user in the thread I linked earlier correctly, they were exporting/importing wso back into TSRW, not obj. Not sure about the current version of TSRW, but the older ones all have an obj import option that is for TS3 and not 4. This is not obvious if you don't know it, I tripped on that too when I first used it.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Jul 2015 at 3:21 AM
Been playing with blender some more, as for TSRW, as there is no wso plugin for blender, I won't be using that. I can't see the value of buying milkshape for the odd time that I may use it as I am only doing this for fun and perhaps learn something new. I will continue to experiment with blender and S4S, today I was learning how to do some image mapping. I managed to mess up my first attempt pretty good, as the tutorial was for an older version and so I was making up things as I went along because the procedure was no longer the same, but I did manage to figure out where things were mapped to and how to change them.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#20 Old 26th Jul 2015 at 3:26 AM
Been playing with blender some more, as for TSRW, as there is no wso plugin for blender

There is, see this post: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...377&postcount=7 -- that's why I linked that thread.

It actually does work for me too, I just checked -- I don't know what problem I was having when I tried first. It only swapped the Y/Z axis but I'm pretty sure one can configure that in blender somewhere.