Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 12:55 PM
Default Odd Normal Map behaviour
Hello

It's not often I ask for help, I normally manage to research and work things out for myself...however, this one has me beat.

I am creating a new set of kitchen units using the Alpha Phong set. After some issues with getting a cloned package to work, I started on the mesh and textures.

This is where things go awry. My mesh seems to work fine. Texture renders ok on it. Specular appears to be ok...but the normal map isn't behaving itself. I've spent about a week or so on this and I cannot figure out if it is an issue with my normal map (not an issue I've ever had before) or an issue with my mesh, or both.

I tried eliminating my normal map, which I think I was able to by applying it to an EA mesh that hadn't been touched, and it seems to work ok. I tried an EA normal map on MY mesh, and it seemed to work ok. When I applied my normal map to my mesh, it doesn't display properly.

I tried to eliminate an issue with my mesh, by making a very simple cube in Blender, and then roughy mapping that out to my textures etc, and as the screenshot below shows, they do very different things; on the right, my simple cube with my texture/normal/speculars applied. On the left, my mesh, with the same textures applied. They are even in the same package:

Clearly it seems the bulk of the issue lays in the mesh, it is getting broken somewhere and I don't know enough about using Blender to be able to fix it. I've made it the same way I've made everything else I've ever made and never had problems until now...

I've attached the package. I know my specular is bright...I am in testing mode at the moment. I've only added the first mesh so far, the straight section of the units.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...even if it is just confirmation of what is actually causing the problem...thank in advance...
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  fifthace2007-PegasusKitchens-Counters.rar (339.2 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 2:01 PM
This isn't going to be too helpful at the moment - I'm posting mainly to remind myself to look around: I swear I've seen this before but I can't remember if it was a help thread, an upload in the queue or a post somewhere outside of MTS. (I just remember the mesh in question having the same type of problem.) I don't have the time to look around at the moment and will be busy for a few days. I'll check back here and/or do a search when I have the time. Hopefully someone else will come along with an answer (or you'll solve the problem another way) soon.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 2:16 PM
Thank you.

Was it recent? I have posted about this over on the S4S forums as well...

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 2:40 PM
I want to say that it was while plasticbox was around, so it's been 2/3 months at least. (I'll be leaving my house soon but I'll try to remember to look around some when I can.)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 1:34 AM
@FifthAce2007
I'm terribly sorry, but I haven't been able to find the post/thread/topic I was thinking of. It's really frustrating to me because I distinctly remember some of the meshes in whatever it was .. looking like your counter. The only thing I can remember for sure is that it was here - at this point I'm thinking that it was a download in the queue and it was rejected. (Which would explain why I can't find any posts/threads/topics about it.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 6:40 PM
Just to clarify, as I would like to try and help, what is the issue I am looking at? Are you wanting the unit on the left to be as reflective as the one on the right? Are you trying to remove the lines in the front of the unit? Something else? I've read your first post many times but I'm not actually sure what the result is that you are aiming for in order to try and give you the right type of help, if I can.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu