Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th May 2017 at 1:10 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Exporting height maps in caw failure
Hey guys, so I was reading the tutorial on terrain painting using photoshop/gimp and the very first step is to export a height map from the base paint you used in your world. I have no opened up other worlds to see if it was just my custom one and it isn't. When I try to export the height map with no other painting on it, it's completely white. The map is not flat, so there is height data, but it's white. I check on my custom world, on sunset valley light and it's the same. if I add another paint layer and paint some, I can successfully export that height map but I really need the base height map before other paint is there. Any idea why this is happening? I did post for help on the tutorial's page but nobody has posted in there for like a year, so I doubt I'll get any help. Thanks!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 24th May 2017 at 6:10 AM
So maybe I'm not understanding correctly what you are doing but it looks to me that you are exporting the first paint layer, the one that covers your whole world when you begin. If that's the case, it's normal that it is all white.

What you want to do however is export your world height map from there:

If I misunderstood and you were already doing that, then my deepest apologies, but hopefully that is the issue and not a bug in CAW that I honestly wouldn't know how to solve.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th May 2017 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
So maybe I'm not understanding correctly what you are doing but it looks to me that you are exporting the first paint layer, the one that covers your whole world when you begin. If that's the case, it's normal that it is all white.

What you want to do however is export your world height map from there:

If I misunderstood and you were already doing that, then my deepest apologies, but hopefully that is the issue and not a bug in CAW that I honestly wouldn't know how to solve.

omg...thank you! i can't believe i was making such a simple error, I just misunderstood the directions in the original tutorial. thank you so much for responding to such an obvious mistake on my part!