Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#101 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 4:41 PM
I didn't even finish the tutorial on this game. I got maybe half way through it and quit, it was so incredibly boring. About the only nice thing on the game is the graphics - minus the landscape.
Advertisement
Fresh fruit from the bigot tree
#102 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 7:19 PM
I got the game three days ago. I uninstalled it today at morning, right after being told sims 3 unleashed is coming. I can wait.
I liked the face shaping of these sims. But no sims game is worth anything if children are stuck in their age.
EA games screwed things again. I would rather use that disk space for zombie movies and nice music while waiting seven months for that horse I was wishing all my life.
Test Subject
#103 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 8:00 PM
Y'know, I was ecstatic about this game, I truly was. I had a calendar reminder in BIG BOLD LETTERS and I shopped for all the junk food and everything the day before so there would be NO interuptions... I started playing, got through all that stuff, and when I got to the second ambition and it made me start the game over again, like--redoing all the kingdom and whatnot. I was all "what?" I thought it was stupid, and redoing the quests ALL over again just made it worse. I've not played it except once since the first time I bought it (I beat the first ambition in a few hours after that), and now I'm back to the Sims 3. I like the potential the Sims Medieval has, but, ugh... :/
::sigh::
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 9:01 PM
This game is simply a story. Where's the challenge? No difficulty, pointless click-and-wait-quests, not much of a medieval-feeling during the play (only the intro which was very good and got me excited), wait a little more, poor customisation and finally a mediocre story. Oh there goes the story too, so there is pretty much nothing left.

And the game forces me to make my noble and respectful king to throw a tomato on the rioter. I'LL THROW A TOMATO ON YOU GAME. After that it goes straight to the bin.
Field Researcher
#105 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 9:23 PM
For the most part, I'm glad I bought the game - which is surprising for me, because I was really having my doubts(when the cashier asked me if my computer was updated enough for it, although I was sure it was, I almost said "never mind" and put it back). The mission-style playing made me remember of the console versions of The Sims(Bustin' Out, Urbz, etc) that I played years ago. Definitely a major improvement from the disappointment of Sims 3.
My main complaints were the camera, and the fact that my love for the game wasn't mutual. After playing most of the night last night, my game has begun to freeze up - making the screen go black, then back to the game, then black again several times before I faced the blue screen of death. It happened once again this morning. Hopefully it's an issue that the patch will fix...
Giblets for hire
#106 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 9:34 PM
BSODs are most certainly issues with your computer and not the game, especially if you're running Vista or Windows 7.
Lab Assistant
#107 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 6:23 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the game. I was expecting a humorous, small-scale, customizable, linear questing type game in a vaguely medieval setting. And that's exactly what I got.

Anyone expecting more was purposely setting themselves up for disappointment as none of the advertisements promised more than this.
Test Subject
#108 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 3:34 PM
I've had the game for about two weeks and I must say I'm quite disappointed.

When I first got it I did like it, I liked getting to know it and the funny little stories and the nice looking characters just like any other new game...but it's just become...boring.
The quests are fun and all but I spend half the time in fast forward, just completing the next part each time. I feel like the interactive and openworld of sims hasn't really been incorporated in the game. When I stop completing quests and start focusing on my character they get into a negative mood, forcing me to continue with the quests which really is the opposite of what simming is about. And it's not even like I choose how the quests unfold. Except for the occasional 'follow this path or that path' it's a linear beginning to end story with no room for individual gameplay. Another annoying thing is the lack of space...a bedroom and a communal room!? What sort of house is that? How can you furnish that?

But the most annoying things about the game is AGING. Aaargh it drives me nuts! Since when (except sims 1) did children not grow up?! My sims have babies and I can't choose their hairstyle, their clothes, their personalities...how is that at all in line with the succesion story that has been sims 2 and 3? And if you hate killing your sims like me it produces this stagnant, static world where nothing moves on and your stuck with the same characters forever. Which is really just annoying. And the lack of moods from the sims leave little to fill in anyway ie there is nothing to do but the quests.

But I don't want to be completely negative, it's not like when I play the game I'm completely bored, it's more that I have no desire to actually to play the game at all. I'm never going to 'just end up playing it' because I really just don't want to. It hasn't left me wanting more. I admit that I haven't seen all the uniqueness of the game, but I've got a pretty good picture. Once you've completed a couple of quests is there really anything that different about it?

Though I really like the religious aspect, I think they did that very well. It's funny and helpful and adds to the overall 'world' of sims. And to be fair I have plenty of games that I don't play that often, and this is just going to be added to that list.

I think it's just because it's Sims, and sims is supposed to be different to all my other games. I'm supposed to want to play it. I'm supposed to sit and play the sims for 30 minutes and look at the clock and it's actually been 3 hours, and literally only get up to pee and eat. But I just can't do that with medieval and that's what makes it disappointing.

Rant over.
Test Subject
#109 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 5:18 PM Last edited by skyedarkmoon : 11th Apr 2011 at 7:24 PM.
Default Yes, I did my homework
I went to the site, I did the research. I read the reviews. I watched the trailers. I spent my 50 bucks and also bought the book. I played for hours. I love the humor. I love the pit beast. I love being able to toss an egg or two at someone in the stocks.
(For the person who thinks that peasants roamed in and out of castles at will, oh so wrong. Peasants could present petitions to their monarch at specific times during specific occasions. At all other times there were no free ranging peasantry in the monarch's bedroom playing with his stuff etc. All castles had an entire garrison of guards to keep that from happening. Let's have doors that lock.)
I love the questing and the daily responsibilities. I love the look of the Medieval Sims. I could do without the freckles, but hey, there are worse things. I love the new churches and the watcher concept to get around competing world religions.
But..... A Monarch without either a horse or a horse drawn coach is like eating soup with a fork. I wasn't aware that I would have one knight, one merchant, one wizard, etc... Ummm, what kingdom has just one knight or just one merchant? (A knight by his very definition is Mounted. A knight without a horse is a fancy dress foot soldier toting around a lot of extra weight.)
Nothing in my research said that there would be such bad visual angles. I really hate that. Nothing in my prebuy research said anything about most of the game being one huge rabbit hole. Rabbit holes suck.
I do remember that my prebuy research did include reading quite a bit about how this would appeal to the folks that enjoyed the story aspect. There was nothing about how it was EA's story and that was the only story.
There was nothing about starting from zero with each ambition every time with the same kingdom, and the same buildings in the same locations, and the same rabbit holes, and the same characters and basically, the same quests with a few variations depending on the characters doing the quests. There was almost nothing said about the limited amount of Quest points and no way to renew them. I knew the Hero's were explained in prerelease material (and they looked really cool), but didn't know they were The Only playable characters. There was nothing said about being able to accomplish nothing at all during post quest sandbox mode.
I knew there was no build mode but I did expect a little more choice in the buildings offered (not same building, same location, forever). And, because it was touted as a Sims game, I was expecting to be able to customize the ones that were offered quite a bit more than is allowed. So the same buildings over and over and over does not impress me no matter how I can change the inside, which is very little by the way.
Quite a few things were left out of the prerelease material. Whether it was a deliberate omission by the company or not, isn't my call; and I will not speculate about it, nor will I complain about it.
Do not harp that I didn't do my research, I did.
Yes, there are quite a few things that I appreciate. But there are a number of things that I do not enjoy. They outnumber the things I do like about the game so far.
There is a great deal of potential here. More than Sims 1,2, or 3. So I will not stomp around and make faces and demand a refund. But I bought it on release date and am already bored with it. I will wait to see what they can do with patches and updates. I will wait and see what they do with EPs and SPs to see if they can fix some of its shortcomings before I abandon it entirely.
This isn't the first time around the cup for EA and I did expect better of them because of the prerelease material that, by the way, I did read, I did search out. The game was far overpriced for the gameplay available. Sims Stories were about 20 bucks each and that's what this should have been. I will wait and see what they do with it.
But hey, EA, are you listening, once burned twice shy. I shouldn't have to depend on modders, great as they are, to make this game a continuing fascination for me. Don't make me wait a year to fix some of the glaring short comings, don't gouge us on the price, and develop some of the potential that quite a few of us see in this game!
Instructor
#110 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 5:32 PM
I love the graphics, specially the face skin tones, I like the outfits (sort of), the hair, the facial hair is really nice. The buildings and furniture are also quite nice, though the lack of build mode is a bit frustrating. I really like the medieval setting, the interactions, the humor, the way religion is treated, the professions. It's realistic in a way but also quirky, which is... cute?

Gameplay is fun in the beginning but gets a bit repetitive and limited, and some features I really find to be missing, like aging. Now I'm enjoying it because it's modded and I'm absolutely not playing it as EA intended: I'm porting my Kingdoms from one Ambition to another, I'm growing up my kids, I'm going in and out of Free Time all the time... maybe it's cheating, but at least it's fun and it's me controlling the game and not the other way around.

Ultimately what I like less in TSM is the lack of liberty for playing: if you play following their rules your constantly guided to do what they want, not what you want. It's not a fail, it's a nice game, but it's far from perfect.

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Page 5 of 5