Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Apr 2018 at 10:58 PM Last edited by TurtleShroom : 13th Apr 2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: E-Mail notification enabled

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Fatal Error In CW: Saved World File Cannot Open
Good evening.

I am outraged at my abject failures in using the "Create a World" Tool. This has happened to me every time I have used CW for any extended period of time, except once, in which I had no custom content enabled. Now, after having lost almost five hours of heavy editing and attention to a World, and desiring to punch out my wall, I am coming here in a last ditch effort to seek help.

[align=center][/align]

I have seen this before, and it has caused similar problems.

Before anyone asks:
  1. Yes, I have read the default CW link.
  2. Yes, my CW matches my version.
  3. Yes, CW loads correctly.
  4. Yes, Edit-In-Game works correctly.
  5. Yes, I am using custom content, but no, I HAVE NOT put any of it in the World yet.
  6. No, I have no idea what those numbers are.
  7. No, they are not Hexadecimal entries like in the default CW help post.

I am editing my all-time favorite World to expand its terrain and add new Lots, Spawners, and so on, and I cannot do that with this outrageous issue haunting me. I NEED custom content to be enabled in order to add it during the Edit-In-Game phase!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Warm regards,
-TURTLESHROOM

-------

Jesus loves you and died for you!

Your resident prude! A pox on all who remove the "censor blurs" on showering (etc.) Sims!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 12:42 AM
UPDATE:

I ran CW without any custom content and got the same issue. Does the fact that I use the Sim Logical "WorldBuilderCS.exe" (the "Grand CW") instead of the usual "CAW.exe" mean anything?

-------

Your resident prude! A pox on all who remove the "censor blurs" on showering (etc.) Sims!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 9:32 PM
I notice that you have your documents folder on a drive mapped as I:\

Is that an internal drive, or a removable drive?

Do you still get the error if you close all other programs before saving?

Is the I:\ drive excluded from on-access scanning in your antivirus settings?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 1:07 AM
1. The I-drive is a real IDE hard drive, but it's not connected directly to the motherboard. Rather, it is on an USB converter. The computer counts it as an internal hard drive (as in, it sits next to the C-drive on the list instead of the external drives list).

2. Which programs? Does the Steam Console count? No other non-background program except CW was open when I saved the files.

3. No, but AVG scans files when they are READ (opened), not when they are WRITTEN (saved). AVG scans nightly, too.

-------

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 11:39 AM
Well I was just looking at your screenshot which shows that you have a PDF reader, media player, browser etc. open, all which take up RAM.

It may be that the USB converter is not fast enough- is it possible to test this by saving to the OS drive?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 5:46 PM
Okay. I will attempt to use the same junction systems to place CW files onto my C-drive, and will inform you on the results when I get them.

As for the programs I have running:

1.The PDF Reader (Foxit) is loading a single file talking about CW.

2. The Media Player is the original Windows Media Player that comes with all Windows computers dating back to the early nineties.

3. The browser is the Firefox, and I opened it to post onto this forum. (It takes up a LOT of RAM.)

-------

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 7:01 PM
Okay, I tried again using the Junction and closed programs, etc., and failed, ending up with this:

I am using the Grand Create a World tool ("WorldBuilderCS.exe"). Does that mean anything? It's finals week for me, and I'll be taking the test at 2:00 PM. When that is finished, I will try again with the normal CW. My hunch is that the glitch is coming from setting my world as a City (like Bridgeport) in the GCW "Edit Title and Description" page. I will be trying and seeing what happens with that as well.

-------

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 7:34 PM
How much RAM do you have?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 10:44 PM
I have had four gigabytes of RAM since last Christmas, and I use a sixty-four bit OS. My PC's motherboard is only capable of holding four gigabytes of RAM. From 2009 AD to the end of 2017 AD, I ran on three gigabytes of RAM. "Sims III" never crashes due to memory issues unless I set the Priority to High or In Realtime. I have can only remember getting an Error Twelve once in my entire S3 career.

One big reason I can run S3 inspite of those limitations is because I have a separate, dedicated graphics card with its own fan, VGA port, and so on and so forth. This card allows me to run higher and smoother graphics, making "Sims III" run easily (as long as routing is in order, the usual) and making games like "Minecraft" experience zero lag.

-------

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 9:22 PM
When you say 'separate, dedicated graphics card'- is that external as your hard drive is?

Quote: Originally posted by TurtleShroom
No, I have no idea what those numbers are.
No, they are not Hexadecimal entries like in the default CW help post.

Those numbers are objects or lots that fail upon saving. This is what it should look like:

The most likely cause for this based upon the information you've given me is that the program is failing to package the assets in your world into files due to lack of computer resources. Possibly the processor is not fast enough, or there is not enough RAM- this would explain why you usually have this issue after you have been building for a while, and when you have CC in your userdata. Remember that when you boot CAW (or SuperCAW), it loads all of the gamedata and your userdata into memory. So if you have 2GB of CC, that's less memory your PC has to work with- whether you have those objects in your current world or not.

The only things I can really recommend are as follows:
-Delete caches and virtual store before loading CAW (see this thread )
-Remove unused CC (for example, CAS CC) when using CAW
-Make sure CAW/ SuperCAW is Large Adress Aware
-Create smaller, simpler worlds
-Buy a better computer

I built the first version of my world Jericho on a low spec machine which had 4GB RAM, and I remember having to jump through hoops to make it work.

Sorry to not be more help.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
When you say 'separate, dedicated graphics card'- is that external as your hard drive is?

My dedicated graphics card is in the PCI expansion bays and directly connected to the motherboard. It is an AMD Radeon HD 6540 Graphics Card and Display Adapter.

^ See?

The only difference between my version and the picture is that my version has a VGA port instead of the port you see in the picture.

-------

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 7:36 PM
@TurtleShroom

I'm out of ideas... take a look at the CAW logs and see if there are any clues. Your first post indicates that the computer is not powerful enough (or that the world is too large- remember that this is a 32bit game).
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 8:22 PM
I'm sorry to ask, but have you tried the Standard Version of CAW? Does the same error occur then?

Also, if you are using custom content, is your CAW framework set up correctly? Is all CC you need for that world in there? Store stuff, too?