Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#101 Old 13th May 2020 at 7:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Then what is this thread about? The discussion was about modding iirc and If we're not going to encourage people to partake in modding so they can get better and become an "advanced modder", then this thread is basically a wishlist.

I see this thread as what we would wish for if Sims 2 came out now.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#102 Old 13th May 2020 at 10:48 AM
I agree, Jo, the title says it all. Basically, what would TS2 be if it was made with the technological advancements that have been made since 2004? Of course it's a little bit wish-listy, but that's what you get when you take an old game in a franchise that has evolved over time.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#103 Old 13th May 2020 at 11:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I see this thread as what we would wish for if Sims 2 came out now.

What I'm thinking, too - it's quite literally in the heading (which says nothing about modding with current tools available).
Alchemist
#104 Old 13th May 2020 at 2:56 PM
The conversation has moved on, but I still wanted to say this. I don't want anyone to get discouraged from trying to mod because the simple stuff has been done. You don't have to burst onto the modding scene with a complex mod. Every modder started out making simple things as they learned how to edit BHAVs. Just like people who started modding TS2 years ago, your first projects will probably be too simple to be released, which is fine, because you're building a skill set that you can use to tackle more advanced projects later. There's also a wealth of tutorials and old modding threads that can help you.
Theorist
#105 Old 13th May 2020 at 9:42 PM Last edited by Orphalesion : 13th May 2020 at 10:25 PM.
No thanks.

As an option sure but I like sliders. I can't use those push and pull things at all. Anytime I have tried I either grab nothing or grab too far and can't see what I am doing. I really dislike it. I mostly just pick a face template and try and tweak it a bit and give up.

And I was never really able to get much done with the sliders. With the CAS in Sims 4 I was able to create qwuite different and unique faces, but with the sliders not so much.

But both might really be a good idea. Just like combining the Traits and Personality Points.

Also I want to make it clear that my other message wasn't supposed to disencourage modders. Modders are the lifeblood of the game and make amazing things every day and simple mods can often help a lot.
There's just some things that can't be done through modding.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#106 Old 13th May 2020 at 10:24 PM
No thanks.

As an option sure but I like sliders. I can't use those push and pull things at all. Anytime I have tried I either grab nothing or grab too far and can't see what I am doing. I really dislike it. I mostly just pick a face template and try and tweak it a bit and give up.

The push/pull is really difficult and you have to know where all the controls are to be able to use them. I do prefer more of a slider method. I like that it's also possible to extend the sliders in Bodyshop by saving the sim and reopening, which resets the sliders (one of the positives of face morphs, I guess), and blend them more. Another positive thing is that because it's morphs, custom sliders don't matter to the finished result, so downloading a sim doesn't require you to download a ton of sliders for the sim to show up properly. TS3 and TS4 never quite manages this without CC.

Morphs have a lot of issues (difficulty of custom animation being one of them), but they do have some advantages as well.

Push/pull work better for the body, though. That's where I use it the most in TS4, if I can bother (fixing all the strange bodies CAS throws out, like aliens with very different body doubles or some such).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#107 Old 15th May 2020 at 8:12 AM
Glad I am not the only one who finds sims 4 creation difficult! I keep hearing how much better it is, but give me sliders that I can simply click once at a time.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#108 Old 16th May 2020 at 8:33 PM
Yeah i never liked the Sims 4 cas i much prefer sims 2. Also dont like building houses in sims 4 they always look ugly, i find sims 2 so much easier.
Mad Poster
#109 Old 16th May 2020 at 9:43 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th May 2020 at 10:05 PM.
I tend to have problems with the TS4 room system. It creates a lot of strange issues, especially with premade houses (some of the older houses are really borked). I tried to add a second floor to one of the older houses a while back, and the roof threw a tantrum, the walls didn't want to add up to rooms or didn't want to properly delete, and the wallcoverings went all sorts of ways instead of just inside a room. Building from scratch is a bit easier than refurbishing old houses, but I tend to have issues with the roof and rooms (the grab-points are extremely grabbable, so instead of picking up a piece of furniture I'm more likely to pick up an entire room or modify the roof ). TS4 does have some things I like in regards to building (the foundation system is neat, and when the room system works it is nice to know I can move a room instead of moving walls/furniture separately, and shiftable windows is nice. Probably a few other things. But there are things I much prefer in TS2).

I'm also still trying to get the hang of the cheats. I do like that the alt option (snapobjects for us TS2-users) stick wall items to walls. I don't like not having my moveobject alias, because I can never remember the name of the cheat in TS4.

I do absolutely hate the wall shadows in TS4. They're super-ugly (not sure if they're any better on ultra-high, though). But the game doesn't look particularly good without shadows elsewhere, and adjustments to graphics usually means going out and back into the game (that's really annoying ), so turning them off is a chore (TS2 looks fine without shadows - I've managed without for ages due to reducing the load on my first laptop, and then I had the black sim shadow issue without a fix - and I'm so used to it now I tend to keep it off due to CC items rarely having proper shadows anyway).

But I think if people start out with TS4 they'd have just as many issues trying to build/play with TS2. The workflow has changed quite a bit. TS3 is sort of a midway thing, but has more in common with TS2 in the workflow, CASt excluded. I think I had fewer issues adjusting to it than I did to TS4.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#110 Old 17th May 2020 at 12:07 AM
I'm the same with the shadows and keep it off in sims 2 because I have a number of CC items with ugly wrong shadows, so they look better without any. I had not noticed this shadow issue in sims 4 I will have to try and take notice.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#111 Old 18th May 2020 at 4:53 AM
For me TS4 is what i wanted TS2 to be, i think i just like the Building and the Social aspect of the game all the Community Lots and i love Cafés, Shops, Restaurants but they're in 3 different packs... yeh right... lol, and i like a Homey aspect too i'm loving the Tiny Houses so Seasons is my fave expansion but i don't know if i'll be getting it or not i'm feeling like i won't... but Will it be the same without the weather? and i really liked fishing and planting too, i just want them to stop at TS4 and put everything left under their sleeve into it because it really is perfect now.

I hate the Business side too and i'm definitely leaving that out it just doesn't work too well, makes making money too easy when you can make 45k in 3 sim weeks just by stealing stuff lol but Open For Business was broken more or less and only medium/high price items earned you any profit while sold at Expensive but i found the game does eventually cap at 2k or a bit less on each item and the game decides you're being too greedy lol and then charges you what the NPC bought it for, it's too repetitive too and there's a reason people only have a business temporarily but the game just needs to be more challenging, i want to keep my Sims at a certain career level too and only certain sims will be at level 10 because you start earning over 10k a week soo... that's what i'm gonna do but... i think the Careers in TS4 are more balanced with their Pay and Skills and id love to make a lot of my Sims save up for stuff, but i want ALL of the best Functionality they can put into it because i love the Social side of it, they limit our game play without it.
Forum Resident
#112 Old 18th May 2020 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pygsmyemm
For me TS4 is what i wanted TS2 to be ..... i just want them to stop at TS4 and put everything left under their sleeve into it because it really is perfect now.

Intresting, after 16 years of constant playing I never noticed Sims 2 OFB was broken. I did notice James Turner (Sims Supply) had many problems with restaurants and retail in Get to Work, nearly made the game unplayable. But different folks, different strokes.

You say you believe the Sims 4 is better than Sims 2 and absolutely perfect for you now (even though you lack some expansions) You want the sims team to stop making any more packs for Sims 4 and to stop making anything for Sims in future and supposedly end the series.

Going back to the topic at hand. How does what you feel improve Sims 2 future? Should everyone be encouraged to go out and buy sims 4 and not buy too many packs (so as not to spoil it's perfection)
Instructor
#113 Old 18th May 2020 at 5:41 AM
TS4 is better than TS2 because it has in it what TS2 should have had at the start so technology has already improved it and i honestly feel as best as the game can get it really especially with the nice improved graphics and they could get it even better but didn't, i love TS2 but the lack of functionality with the sims, objects, limit building quality with a few problems there we clearly can't get as much as we'd like out of it, now they've given all of it to us in TS4 and better plus better graphics and being able to fit things in smaller spaces it's like finally... lol but again they should have done it in TS2 they know that the sims not interacting the way they should it affects everything in the game especially Community Lots i had to buy the TS4 Base Game to get that, but beyond it i don't see what else they could do with it, never said nobody has to buy TS5 if they make it but i'm saying instead they should focus on upgrading TS4 instead and doing SO much more with it and for once different things instead of recycling the same Packs, they can do that it's the perfect template.

Businesses are definitely broken and just very limited the algorithms and functionality it's just not very good and basic at best, i watch James Turner too and all he does is he opens a business with walls, some windows, the shop desk, makes what he needs then sells it LOL because honestly you don't want it to be permanent it gets boring fast but you make money too quick too just for such basic interaction with it, it's super unbalanced and it's no fun if you make every sim rich, if they do TS5 they should keep that out and try something else if they do have other ideas to make it more interesting and different, i think they have the technology to do that too.
Forum Resident
#114 Old 18th May 2020 at 6:11 AM
So Sims 2 is lacking and Sims 4 is perfection and the best. Interesting..
I noticed that there are many complaints from players that in Sims 4, sims find it difficult to stay sitting to eat. They also seem to find it impossible to dance together, and romantic slow dances don't exist. I also noticed pages and pages of complaints on the official pages about the bugs in Dine Out and Get to work as regards the eating and shopping experience. Does it still take Sims hours to get their food?

What advice do you have regarding Sims 4 babies and Sims 4 Teens, Many Sims 2 players like to play families and might be disappointed with Sims 4 lack of options. Or is it a case of buy it (for $5 or get it free from EA) and realise it's perfections make Sims 2 a waste of time?

My modded Sims 2 is an exquisite game, I have very big expectations that Sims 4 would have to meet. Already not being able to cook in my own family restaurant is a big turn off. You do know many of us are running with Hatch's Community Time and may be nothing like what you've experienced in a Sims 2 game. The limitations you mention, I don't really understand and maybe that's a reflection of your skills with this game. What interactions on community lots have given you problems? I make money in OFB, don't understand why you can't.

Things like small lots and buildings we've had modded in for probably about 15 years, same goes for candle making. The OFB mechanic has allowed us to mod everything from playable hospitals, to prisons that Sims can visit anytime, and actually lock up your neighbours.. Everything in my Sims 2 modded world is playable. What mechanic does Sims 4 use for playing situations like private beaches, private museum exhibitions and fee-paying concerts, and realistic cinema's that cot a fee to go in? Options like this would be necessary if I would switch to the Sims 4 game.
Instructor
#115 Old 18th May 2020 at 9:04 AM
I just feel TS4 is more functional they did indeed break restaurants though sadly with Dine Out, TS4 is defo also more of a cash grab but the Community Lots are great and honestly more fun than in TS2 i love it but as i said i love the Community Lots, i can see why they took out clothes and grocery stores though cos the NPC algorithms were just broke they just ignore everything they didn't browse much then kept socializing and i feel like they can't get it any better or won't fix it so instead you buy food from the fridge, it's definitely the last mall or shops i'll build for TS2 as well i can't get it any better i tried all stores on the ground too but the same thing happens every time they hang out in 1 room mainly where the jewelry is lol then walk away and walk around socializing, Hello?! i want you to browse with my sim too lol but maybe they can't do it.

Going soley Business Owner though is a mistake, restaurants worked nicely as Community Lots in TS2 but they obviously don't want people to have it in the game which is why it's just not worth getting Get To Work or most the expansions or stuff packs, i think they sell them off too fast now before they can fix anything wrong with it but the functionality from OFB for Businesses they shouldn't have resold it and went with something different. I don't think anything is fun without music even in the TS3 game though and you're still better building things not too big or too small. I just don't mod anything though i never have and i'm fine with that and i LOVE the realism of TS4. As for babies they need to be bigger they look tiny and it's crying is too robotic sounding it needs to be changed for sure other than that the crib is pretty cute.
Forum Resident
#116 Old 18th May 2020 at 9:12 AM
@Pygsmyemm, it's been interesting hearing your views. I forgot that Sims 4 doesn't have proper clothes shops or grocers shops, and NPC and non-playables don't just use autonomy and go buy things. I would miss that, it's what I love about OFB, I also don't understand your problem with community lots as my sims browse and shop. No matter, it's always interesting hearing how other simmers play and what they like about the game.
Instructor
#117 Old 18th May 2020 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
@Pygsmyemm, it's been interesting hearing your views. I forgot that Sims 4 doesn't have proper clothes shops or grocers shops, and NPC and non-playables don't just use autonomy and go buy things. I would miss that, it's what I love about OFB, I also don't understand your problem with community lots as my sims browse and shop. No matter, it's always interesting hearing how other simmers play and what they like about the game.

It's probably a function in one of your mods but even when playing TS2 on discs it was always the same they didn't browse stuff they just ignored it all, i've had it on Origin for a while but the same. It's too much autonomy they have when buying stuff in Business's i just don't like it's just grab, buy, repeat then leave lol and realistically that's what people do in real life but more goes on too but in a game i dunno it's just not as fun to play i like my sims doing stuff and more interaction and i always keep Free Will on in TS2 i let them choose stuff they want to do too if i need a break from ordering them around lol.

Yeh TS4 doesn't have a big clothes selection just like their content but you just download CC it's what i'm doing although in TS2 i didn't even use half the clothes or makeup and like when they get to the next Life Stage you don't need the clothes they had no more didn't see the point having too many but i'm just such a minimalist too lol why i love the Tiny Builds in TS4 they're so classy, i'm definitely going to make a sim of me then build one for her and the CAS mode so great how flexible it is on customizing your sim. If TS2 had that in there plus fitting stuff in small spaces i'd be happy but i need the fun interactions.
#118 Old 18th May 2020 at 3:19 PM
Unrelated to what's currently being discussed...

If the Sims 2 was created with modern technology then our Sims would have modern technology. I just saw a new download here for an iPhone default cell phone. It's a great item (not criticizing the creator in any way), but personally I love that my Sims are stuck in the 2000's. I sound just like my mom when I say "those were the good old days" lol. I am not against modern technology, but I'm glad I was a child myself then. In the Sims 2 kids bring home friends from school and play with them, just like I did. When I babysit children now, they beg me to watch TV or fight over an iPad while I am all for playing Hide & Seek or tag with them. Some of the modern advancements I saw in the Sims 4 were cool, but I also never even realized Sims 2 was missing them until I played the Sims 4. I wouldn't be against a modern Sims 2, but I do really enjoy the fact that the Sims themselves are not in modern times anymore.
Forum Resident
#119 Old 19th May 2020 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pygsmyemm
It's probably a function in one of your mods but even when playing TS2 on discs it was always the same they didn't browse stuff they just ignored it all, i've had it on Origin for a while but the same. It's too much autonomy they have when buying stuff in Business's i just don't like it's just grab, buy, repeat then leave lol and realistically that's what people do in real life but more goes on too but in a game i dunno it's just not as fun to play i like my sims doing stuff and more interaction and i always keep Free Will on in TS2 i let them choose stuff they want to do too if i need a break from ordering them around lol.

Playable sims don't autonomously browse/purchase at stores on community lots, but other visiting sims do. That's vanilla behavior. Sometimes, you'll enter a household and get a pop-up that the sim purchased a pet.
Mad Poster
#120 Old 19th May 2020 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
Playable sims don't autonomously browse/purchase at stores on community lots, but other visiting sims do. That's vanilla behavior. Sometimes, you'll enter a household and get a pop-up that the sim purchased a pet.

I was wondering about that-I've not had any pet stores in my game because I'm afraid some of those pixels (uncontrolled) would do exactly that! "Look, Ma, I've got a hamster now!" "Sure, dear, as long as you feed and keep it clean!"

As to the original question, it is moot, because with today's modern technology it would play (and does) on an IPhone. Which would have skipped all of the previous work not done by EA.

They would have learned nothing..but then again I think they haven't learned anything yet-"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#121 Old 19th May 2020 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I was wondering about that-I've not had any pet stores in my game because I'm afraid some of those pixels (uncontrolled) would do exactly that! "Look, Ma, I've got a hamster now!" "Sure, dear, as long as you feed and keep it clean!"

I use Pescado's "no autonomous pet buying" to prevent uncontrolled sims from buying pets.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,6028.0.html

I seem to remember that other modders also addressed this problem, but I don't remember which ones now. (Squinge? BoilingOil?)
#122 Old 19th May 2020 at 4:09 PM
@FranH having a pet store won't stop your Sims from buying caged animals (like a bird cage without the bird), but if your Sim purchases a dog or cat the next time you play that household you will be given the option of whether you want your Sim to keep that pet. Not sure if you knew that
Mad Poster
#123 Old 19th May 2020 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8
@FranH having a pet store won't stop your Sims from buying caged animals (like a bird cage without the bird), but if your Sim purchases a dog or cat the next time you play that household you will be given the option of whether you want your Sim to keep that pet. Not sure if you knew that

Thanks for the info! I did not know that, because I haven't had any pet stores for the reason stated, but this will help alot!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Page 5 of 5