Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 10:14 PM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 8th May 2020 at 8:43 PM.
Default What do you think Sims 2 would be if it was created today with modern technology?
Like being able to adjust your sims' weight and bust size without learning to mesh them yourself in a 3d program and being limited to one lot. No story progression,open world and modern conveniences that the later games has. I find that I have the most fun and the most enjoyable time playing Sims 2 despite the lack of modern features but I can't help but think how it would turn out if it was created with modern technology. What do you guys think?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 10:49 PM Last edited by Anhaeyn : 19th Mar 2020 at 11:33 PM.
Well, as for weight and bust size - I just ignore this. I'm fine with what game gives.
For lack of story progression - I'm playing whole 'hood, so I'm doing my own story progression.
No open world - I kinda hidden this fact by using lots of hood deco and mods, also by using camera mod which ignores lot borders and lets you travel with camera all around the neighborhood, it gives a lot in open world feeling.
@edit
adding some pics (made in lot view) showing examples of my way to get open world feeling.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 11:36 PM
I have camera mods too and they give me great open world feeling. Open world has it's minuses too, that's why I abandoned TS3.. When my sim wanted to flirt with another sim, he either left the town or married a neighbor and had 6 kids with her overnight. So no story progression, thank you! I am making my own story in TS2 and I love it. And TS2 can be as modern as we do it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 11:51 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Mar 2020 at 2:08 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Like for example not being to adjust your sims' weight and bust size without learning to mesh them yourself in a 3d program and being limited to one lot. No story progression,open world and modern conveniences that the later games has.

1: I don't play with bodyshapes in TS2 (except for very spesific storytelling purposes), so for me it's not a problem. There's a lot of clothing sets for those who do use these bodyshapes, though. Personally, I have more than enough clothes in the game already, and don't need ten additional sets of clothes I use once in a blue moon (I prefer the standard bodyshapes). Bodyshapes are fun to play around with in TS3/TS4, but it's a whole lot easier when they're part of the game. Honestly, I hardly even care to use them in TS3/4 except to tone down the extremes I usually get when I don't want them...

2: I don't mind being limited to one lot, because the lots are saved separately, which is the way I prefer it (I HATE how lots end up in a great big huge mess in TS4 if you play another lot for a few days, and the saves in vanilla TS3 break down faster than a neighborhood in TS2 ever would if you'd obliterated the Object.package file - so far I don't think I've had a single save file or series of save files that lasted more than 10-15 times. In TS2 I've had lots I'm still able to play ten years after making them).

3: Open world would've been nice solely for having a nice background for pictures, but when I'm not doing storytelling I can manage, and when I am doing storytelling, I tend to use neighborhood deco or "inbetween" lots that serve a similar purpose as an open lot would, so I've always found ways around it. A lot of the open world in TS3 and TS4 tends to revolve around either gathering stuff for collections (which isn't an issue in TS2) or very boring travelling (TS3) or very boring travelling to rabbit holes (also TS3). There are of course other things you can do too, but I guess that's what community lots are for in TS2 (I tend to only use residentials for storytelling, though). Plus, the open hood as handled by TS3 is a huge resource hog. The semi-open hoods in TS4 are perhaps handled a tad better, and I think I'd rather see something of a mix between TS2 and TS4 for a possible TS5 game (the neighborhood lot saving and navigating from TS2, but some kind of semi-openness from TS4 that loads up a lot area but not the entire neighborhood).

4: I find several of the "modern conveniences" in TS3/4 rather annoying... For instance, in TS4 toddlers learn a whole lot quicker the "old" way with toys than with the digital bunny pad, and if there is a computer in the house it's rarely left alone because EVERYONE is hogging it except the ones I want to use it (to the point where I have to lock the computer for the other sims to stay away, since directing them away from the computer only lasts for about 5 ingame minutes). The fact that they get around by "teleporting" (and not by cars or other vehicles save for bikes if you have Uni) is also annoying. True, TS2 is a bit dated when considering the looks of things, but it's not bad. CC always helps (more modern clothes, laptops, phone shells, etc).

5: I HATE story progression. The vanilla version is a huge fireball waiting to happen, and I don't like when the game decides what's going to happen with sims I'm not currently playing, so for me that option is turned off at all times, along with auto aging for other households (unless I load up a new neighborhood and forget to turn them off - which has happened at least two or three times now, and I absolutely hate they're on by default, because by the time I realize, a week has gone by, and suddenly there's already a huge fireball in the horizon and all the original families have crashed and burned into oblivion, leaving behind some very strange remains... And before anyoe asks, I don't want modded story progression, either ).

6: I like the look of TS2. Can't help it, but for me it beats TS3 and TS4 any day. The two other games can be fun to play, but I find it too much hassle to use them for storytelling and pictures (which is what I mostly do in TS2 because I find it really fun), but TS3 needs a lot of CC to make the sims look halfway decent (In TS2 I just use a few texture replacements that work for all sims, playable or NPC alike), and TS4 has that extra cartoony edge I just can't get over (there's something slightly off with the textures and ost of the meshes). There's probably CC fixes for a lot of the issues I have with TS3/4 - but they also lack a lot of personality and "inbetween" animations, which TS2 has in plentiful, making it very useful for storytelling.

7: A technical limitation in TS3/4 I don't like (especially in TS4, it's not as bad in TS3) is how limited genetics are. Genetics for pets and sims is something that actually works in TS2, and it makes the game much more interesting.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 12:13 AM
Like for example not being to adjust your sims' weight and bust size without learning to mesh them yourself in a 3d program and being limited to one lot. No story progression,open world and modern conveniences that the later games has. I find that I have the most fun and the most enjoyable time playing Sims 2 despite the lack of modern features. For one thing it doesn't lag as much or take as long to load as Sims 3 especially with cc and it's the most feature packed one of them all and has the best sims in the series and despite the game having been out for nearly 16 years I still continue to play it.

Most of us who play sims 2 don't care about altering bust shape because the gameplay itself is so good, that small details like that are of much less importance.

We like no story progression. I think most of us long term players somewhat control freaks-we like to be in charge. Coming back and finding something happened that we did not orchestrate-not cool.

Open world is why the sims 3 has rabbit hole community lots, pausing and blockage. Sure open world is nice but not at the expense of active playable community lots.

What modern conveniences? If you mean mobile (cell) phones, we have those. You will have to elaborate on what those are.

You do realize there are tons of mods that you can add for added gameplay? Tons of texture mods to improve the graphics?

Apart from lot imposters in hood view-which we all agree are ugly and having to load lots (which sims 4 players do too) I can't think of a single technical limitation.

I am pretty happy with the look of my game (when it isn't pink flashing)
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 2:00 AM
How do you cope with the technical limitations that Sims 2 has?

Imagination!!

I know that Veronaville is really an open world, because I've scrambled down the bank with Julian when we cut through the woods between Canal Walk and Chorus Court to get to Andrew's house quicker, and save ourselves the long walk round by the road.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Most of us who play sims 2 don't care about altering bust shape because the gameplay itself is so good, that small details like that are of much less importance.

We like no story progression. I think most of us long term players somewhat control freaks-we like to be in charge. Coming back and finding something happened that we did not orchestrate-not cool.

Open world is why the sims 3 has rabbit hole community lots, pausing and blockage. Sure open world is nice but not at the expense of active playable community lots.

What modern conveniences? If you mean mobile (cell) phones, we have those. You will have to elaborate on what those are.

You do realize there are tons of mods that you can add for added gameplay? Tons of texture mods to improve the graphics?

Apart from lot imposters in hood view-which we all agree are ugly and having to load lots (which sims 4 players do too) I can't think of a single technical limitation.

I am pretty happy with the look of my game (when it isn't pink flashing)

Those are all great points and I agree with every one of them and I love the beautiful pictures you uploaded. When I typed modern convences I should've typed modern features instead like the pull and grab CAS feature from Sims 4,the bust,weight and muscle sliders,multi-tasking and all of that. I have mods to get rid of the annoying stuff that bug me and some mods to enhance the gameplay and make the game better and default replacements to replace the ugly and out of date Maxis outfits,hair,eyebrows and eyes. I like how it play nicely on my laptop and I definitely prefer the gameplay over 3 and 4. I can't seem to get into 3 as much as I used to because it's slow and the sims are kind of bland in that game and lack personality.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 3:01 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Mar 2020 at 3:32 AM.
^ I'd much rather have some kind of sliders than the "pull and grab" system, because at times it's so difficult to judge the limits of the "pull & grab" and which parts it's adjusting.

Unmodded, TS4 sims have about as much personality as a single piece of white-bread un-toaosted toast. It basically boils down to "happy", "something happens", "throws emotional tantrum", "happy again". TS3 wasn't that much better, but at least there were more traits to pick from. Both are probably better modded, though. The traits are still more of an all-or-nothing thing, which kind of is a bummer. In TS2 sims actually have variable personalities.

As for multi-tasking, that system is cursed in TS4. They're playing musical chairs all over the house, and last time I played a toddler was running around with two sippy cups because one was apparently not enough. Sims keep sitting down to talk to sims I want to concentrate on tasks, which makes the tasks go so much slower, and 9 out of 10 times I want to punch the person who decided all sims who are standing and chatting together should do so in a group, because this slows down their friendship progress to a crawl (when I want them to befirend a spesific sim), and getting them to leave the group is difficult because either the sim stops everyone from talking or the sim I want them to talk with don't follow. And for the love of sanity, eat at a table! I have sims eating their dinner from toddler beds, computer chairs, regular beds, etc. but no one at the dinner table or the kitchen island. I've had four sims sitting on two beds eating their dinner when the kitchen table was empty. WHY???
At least TS2 sims tend to have the decency to eat at a table, and they are most of the time able to find the kitchen island, or a couch at the very least. They don't eat in their beds or in their toddler's beds. And TS2 sims usually have control on how to use a highchair. I've stopped using those in TS4 because they are extremely flawed (toddlers can eat from a group meal and are happy to sit down in a couch or their bed to eat, so I see no point in the highchairs).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 3:09 AM
Those are all great points and I agree with every one of them and I love the beautiful pictures you uploaded. When I typed modern convences I should've typed modern features instead like the pull and grab CAS feature from Sims 4,the bust,weight and muscle sliders,multi-tasking and all of that. I have mods to get rid of the annoying stuff that bug me and some mods to enhance the gameplay and make the game better and default replacements to replace the ugly and out of date Maxis outfits,hair,eyebrows and eyes. I like how it play nicely on my laptop and I definitely prefer the gameplay over 3 and 4. I can't seem to get into 3 as much as I used to because it's slow and the sims are kind of bland in that game and lack personality.

Ah okay, I get what you mean by modern features now. You know there is a clean UI mod that looks more like sims 4 out now? It's white and green. I havn't switched to it as its too much white for me but you might like it. Attaching a couple of picture of it.

I do have Sims 4 and play it occasionally. Maybe its because I'm a sims 2 player and so use to clicking sliders, but I find the sims 4 CAS really hard to use. I go to grab it and somehow don't or I grab and pull it too much or I try and grab generally and find I have gone into lips or some other place.

Body sliders would be nice to have, if someone ever mods them into sims 2 I would be grabbing them. We have custom face sliders now so you never know.
Sims 2 do have their own multitasking. It's limited and far more subtle than sims 4 but at least they don't play musical chairs at dinner.

You will deff want defaults, CC clothes, texture mods etc, but for a game that came out in 2004 its holding up pretty well. Just needs a nip and a tuck.
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#10 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 5:46 AM
Like for example not being to adjust your sims' weight and bust size without learning to mesh them yourself in a 3d program and being limited to one lot. No story progression,open world and modern conveniences that the later games has. I find that I have the most fun and the most enjoyable time playing Sims 2 despite the lack of modern features. For one thing it doesn't lag as much or take as long to load as Sims 3 especially with cc and it's the most feature packed one of them all and has the best sims in the series and despite the game having been out for nearly 16 years I still continue to play it.

I suspect that I'm in the vast minority here as I have more than 50 different adult male and female bodyshapes (plus many of their teen equivalent shapes) in my game, although I mainly play with about 20 different adult ones which run the gamut of weights, sizes and musculatures. And I don't even know how to mesh! I don't play any TS2 default sized Sims - I just ignore all of the Maxis Sims and don't let my "shapely" Sims interact with them. Yes, that means a lot more clothing CC and I've probably converted thousands of clothing items for personal use to those different bodyshapes in my game. But my game style is to have varied-looking Sims to play with rather than fancy neighborhood deco. I actually have ZERO neighborhood deco custom content. I could care less how the hood looks from 10,000 Sim feet compared to how my houses and Sims look when I'm in the lots playing. But that's just my preference.

TS3 crashed so often - three times alone while making my very first TS3 Sim the first time I ever tried playing it - and didn't improve during the months I played that I abandoned it very quickly. So I can make no comparisons between it and the other games. I did spend a lot of time in TS4 but eventually returned to TS2 so my comparisons will be between those two games.

I loved the extremely fast loading times of TS4 and didn't mind its less than a minute loading screens at all as it takes 45 minutes for my TS2 game to get playable because of the 20+ GB of mostly Sim-oriented CC (skintones, clothing, hair, makeup, jewelry, etc) I play with to make my Sims so unique from one another. I wouldn't mind if TS2 had taken the path that TS4 did and only loaded the content for each lot as that lot was loaded. We already had a loading screen when entering each lot so it COULD have been done... Instead, TS2 pretty much loads all CC at start-up since it doesn't know which lot(s) you may be playing. With tons of CC, that is at best slow and at worst crashes (or pink flashes) if you don't have the hardware & OS that can handle it.

Story progression - I didn't like how TS4 handled it. I disliked that when I left a lot to play another lot, the first lot Sims didn't continue doing what I left them to do. I had my own stories in mind. In TS2 I do my own story progression with short (1 season or 5 day) rotational plays through all the families. It's not perfect but at least I don't have to worry about my Sims doing stupid things while I'm off playing other lots. In the TS2 hood I'm playing now, I currently have 47 different lots I rotate through and I'm currently in my 19th rotation meaning I'm completing Sim days 91-95 for those 47 families with some 4th generation Sims just now becoming adults and all of the original Sims I created for that hood now deceased. My stories remain mine and I greatly prefer that.

Open World - I don't really miss the TS4 Open World, possibly because it seemed so linked with Story Progression or obtaining TS4's quickly repetitive collections. It was interesting at first to travel around the town and see what was going on and admire the beautiful graphics but because the Open World was so small, I became very familiar with it and its events very quickly and hence it lost some of it's luster.

Modern Conveniences - Some of TS4's building options - stretching rooms, copying rooms including furnishings,, etc - those are quite great. I'd love to have some things like that in TS2. And the number of mismatched or incomplete decorating sets in TS2 astounds me. Why aren't there any chairs that go with that sofa? Why isn't there a matching loveseat? Where's a carpet/floor to match that wallpaper? With TS4 it was so much easier to match the Sims' houses' décor. Something's not there? You can make it easily and quickly to match. I do miss the greater variety possible and relative ease of making it in TS4.

I like that TS4 allows multiple different outfits that your Sims can easily change into. Sometimes you don't want your Sim dressed the same way every single day. You can have multiple outfits in Sims2, but it's just not quite as convenient to swap between them and after a while the "dressers" you can choose from in TS2 get a bit cluttered with ALL of the Sims' clothing in there - even for the now deceased Sims. It isn't stored by Sim as it is in TS4 so it can become a bit unruly.

TS2 is definitely dated to how the world has evolved. Mailboxes with paper bills, landlines, newspapers, limited cell phone actions - those were around and important in 2004 when the game was released. They aren't as mandatory so much now. But as has been stated, there are mods to circumvent a lot of that to bring it more up-to-date.

I think what I like the most about TS2 is all of the little nuances that are coded into it. How Sims look when someone new enters a room. How out of the blue their thought bubbles indicate they're thinking of something that happened long ago such as their wedding or first woohoo. Or their different attitudes when instructed to do things they either love or would prefer not to do. Overall, it seems to be a deeper and much more thought out game.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 2:14 PM
I don't have to cope with anything. I'm playing Sims 2, not a different game. If I'm playing chess it's not coping to limit myself to certain moves for certain pieces, it's playing the game. If I'm playing checkers, it's not coping to only have one kind of piece that all move the same way, because I'm not playing chess, but checkers. I'm not coping with being limited to two players in either of those games, and if I have more than one other person to play with I play a different game, Chinese checkers perhaps.

As it happens, I choose to play Sims 2 instead of other versions of Sims because the game allows me to do complex characterization, play Drama, and observe everything of importance to me that happens in a hood by playing in rotation. Since 90% of the game occurs in my head, I don't have a problem with body shapes - I can "see" a lot more heights and types when I'm playing than are actually there! It's sometimes a shock, looking at still photos outside the context of the game, to see that a particular character is not in fact five foot nothing and built like a dumpling standing next to her boyfriend, who is not in fact almost seven feet tall and built like a brick wall! Sims 1 allows and encourages rotation play (much easier to maintain those all-important friendships), but with its limited AI and life stages, and functionally immortal sims, it has fewer opportunities for spontaneous Drama and play is more strategy-focused than character focused. Which can be fun, too; and doesn't keep me from projecting motivations onto them and playing more scripted drama. Sims 3's open world switches the AI from running the characters to running the town and ensures that I can't see all the Drama that happens, which would disrupt my grasp of the characters and frustrate me, so I don't play it and don't miss whatever other fun features it may have. If I did play it, it would have to be with a completely different emphasis, or I would be coping instead of having fun, and what's the point of that?

Just play the game you're playing and you don't have to cope with a thing.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
I suspect that I'm in the vast minority here as I have more than 50 different adult male and female bodyshapes (plus many of their teen equivalent shapes) in my game, although I mainly play with about 20 different adult ones which run the gamut of weights, sizes and musculatures. And I don't even know how to mesh! I don't play any TS2 default sized Sims - I just ignore all of the Maxis Sims and don't let my "shapely" Sims interact with them. Yes, that means a lot more clothing CC and I've probably converted thousands of clothing items for personal use to those different bodyshapes in my game. But my game style is to have varied-looking Sims to play with rather than fancy neighborhood deco. I actually have ZERO neighborhood deco custom content. I could care less how the hood looks from 10,000 Sim feet compared to how my houses and Sims look when I'm in the lots playing. But that's just my preference.

TS3 crashed so often - three times alone while making my very first TS3 Sim the first time I ever tried playing it - and didn't improve during the months I played that I abandoned it very quickly. So I can make no comparisons between it and the other games. I did spend a lot of time in TS4 but eventually returned to TS2 so my comparisons will be between those two games.

I loved the extremely fast loading times of TS4 and didn't mind its less than a minute loading screens at all as it takes 45 minutes for my TS2 game to get playable because of the 20+ GB of mostly Sim-oriented CC (skintones, clothing, hair, makeup, jewelry, etc) I play with to make my Sims so unique from one another. I wouldn't mind if TS2 had taken the path that TS4 did and only loaded the content for each lot as that lot was loaded. We already had a loading screen when entering each lot so it COULD have been done... Instead, TS2 pretty much loads all CC at start-up since it doesn't know which lot(s) you may be playing. With tons of CC, that is at best slow and at worst crashes (or pink flashes) if you don't have the hardware & OS that can handle it.

Story progression - I didn't like how TS4 handled it. I disliked that when I left a lot to play another lot, the first lot Sims didn't continue doing what I left them to do. I had my own stories in mind. In TS2 I do my own story progression with short (1 season or 5 day) rotational plays through all the families. It's not perfect but at least I don't have to worry about my Sims doing stupid things while I'm off playing other lots. In the TS2 hood I'm playing now, I currently have 47 different lots I rotate through and I'm currently in my 19th rotation meaning I'm completing Sim days 91-95 for those 47 families with some 4th generation Sims just now becoming adults and all of the original Sims I created for that hood now deceased. My stories remain mine and I greatly prefer that.

Open World - I don't really miss the TS4 Open World, possibly because it seemed so linked with Story Progression or obtaining TS4's quickly repetitive collections. It was interesting at first to travel around the town and see what was going on and admire the beautiful graphics but because the Open World was so small, I became very familiar with it and its events very quickly and hence it lost some of it's luster.

Modern Conveniences - Some of TS4's building options - stretching rooms, copying rooms including furnishings,, etc - those are quite great. I'd love to have some things like that in TS2. And the number of mismatched or incomplete decorating sets in TS2 astounds me. Why aren't there any chairs that go with that sofa? Why isn't there a matching loveseat? Where's a carpet/floor to match that wallpaper? With TS4 it was so much easier to match the Sims' houses' décor. Something's not there? You can make it easily and quickly to match. I do miss the greater variety possible and relative ease of making it in TS4.

I like that TS4 allows multiple different outfits that your Sims can easily change into. Sometimes you don't want your Sim dressed the same way every single day. You can have multiple outfits in Sims2, but it's just not quite as convenient to swap between them and after a while the "dressers" you can choose from in TS2 get a bit cluttered with ALL of the Sims' clothing in there - even for the now deceased Sims. It isn't stored by Sim as it is in TS4 so it can become a bit unruly.

TS2 is definitely dated to how the world has evolved. Mailboxes with paper bills, landlines, newspapers, limited cell phone actions - those were around and important in 2004 when the game was released. They aren't as mandatory so much now. But as has been stated, there are mods to circumvent a lot of that to bring it more up-to-date.

I think what I like the most about TS2 is all of the little nuances that are coded into it. How Sims look when someone new enters a room. How out of the blue their thought bubbles indicate they're thinking of something that happened long ago such as their wedding or first woohoo. Or their different attitudes when instructed to do things they either love or would prefer not to do. Overall, it seems to be a deeper and much more thought out game.

Sims 3 constant crashing and lag is a couple of the main reasons that I had stopped playing. Sure it has more advanced features but to me it's not worth switching from Sims 2 which has much more detailed and realistic gameplay and sims while at the same time doesn't try to take itself very seriously like Sims 3 just for a few great features. Sims 2 may be dated in some aspects like some of the outfits and hair. Paper bills,landlines,newspaper are still around but they were weren't as common place as they were back in 2004 because technology had gotten a lot better since then. I hate how Sims 3 and especially 4 pop culture and modern trends down your throat and takes creative freedom away from you one example is how hard they had made it to create your own world and they had never fixed that buggy and complicated Create a world and updated it to make more user friendly,on Sims 4 that's not even possible even 5 and nearly 6 years later and they had made it so you can't make an accurate portrayal of a historical time period because of the fake backgrounds of a modern suburban neighborhood and an urban city getting in the way. On Sims 2 with the right amount of cc and default replacements you could easily make a historical without fake inaccessible scenery backdrops getting in the way which is really just there to make the Sims 4 worlds larger then what it really is.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 10:53 PM
Those things have never really been a problem for me to be honest. As it is, I don't really get enough time to even have my Sims go to a community lot, so open world is pretty much lost on me. Yeah I admit I would like fatter Sims, because Sims 2 "fat" is about my body shape and I wouldn't really call myself fat. It's never really taken from the game though, and as for story progression I turn it off in Sims 3. I play on a 1 day rotation, I don't like missing out on parts of my Sims life

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Forum Resident
#14 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 12:47 AM
For me it's all about bodyshapes. I like how unique sims can look with them. I don't like how maxis made the fat sims pear shaped because it makes them look middle aged instead of overweight.
As open world goes, You can make it open world like by just turning the fade distance off.
The loading screens I don't mind as much. Maybe I'm used to it.
Story progression, I'm glad there was none made in sims 2 because I don't want my sims to have relationship changes don in the background where it could potentially make enemies out of entire families or a family member dies without you know. I am a rotational player who likes to check in on everybody. So the only relationship change I see will be at home or on community lots. Yes sims 2 does have it's limits but the game itself the way it's made can let your imagination run wild when making custom hoods or unique builds. and all the little details that sims have as characteristics is something that is overwhelmingly prominent in sims 2 and which sims 3 and 4 show little to non existent.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 3:54 PM
I love how story progression works in TS2 because I'm having to DIY it myself and can control what's happening in my entire town which was only possible in a very heavily Modded TS3 with my setting heavily tuned and configured for story progression to be in manual mode.The only shortcoming in TS2 is that I have to play each family for each of the days which wasn't the case in TS3 where time passes for the town.I've had to MOD TS2 heavily to stop some issues from ruining the game on me in both games and I also use CC in TS2 so I can have buildings in many differenet states of repair which looks more realistic for my towns.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 4:39 PM
I play Sims 3. Easy.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 4:53 PM
Seriously though, every time I miss TS3 features like Story Progression, I just go and play it. I know people complain a lot about "how bad the sims look, it's the worst sims game AHHH!" But I for one actually like Sims 3's Barbie Dollhouse Aesthetic. And even when the default skin and eyes are pretty ugly, I download some Maxis Match Skins and TS2 MM Eye Conversions that immediately improve it and give them their own familiar, but unique look. I played Sims 3 for four hours last night and it was so fun, I could go to the park and see all the Sunset Valley Sims hanging out, doing their thing. Yeah Vanilla Story Progression isn't the best, but AwesomeMod / NRaas Story Progression (whichever one you like) fixes that and is enough for me.

Yeah, downloading camera mods and hood deco does give the feel of an open world, but it still won't change the fact that my two sims can go to the park, then visit the theatre when there's a movie, and go back to his/her house, all without a loading screen.
Some people are enough with a faux-open world, and when I play TS2 I'm okay with it too, but it's still a super cool feature that I'd like to see redone in Sims 5.

Also, why are people complaining so much about how bad TS3 lags? It doesn't always lag for everybody, including me. I run it on my 2013 midrange i5 build, with an RX 570 and it works wonderfully! I feel like people are so quick to bash on it, ignoring the factory corrupt Sims 2 default hoods and TS4's awful Simulation Lag and Multitasking.

I love both games, even with all their flaws, and I really wish people would stop comparing TS2 vs TS3 because at it's core you can see that a lot of passion really went into both games. Also, I don't think "It runs well that's why it's good" is a good excuse to say that TS4 is better / the best. Just my two cents x
Scholar
#18 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 7:28 PM
I wouldn't say cope is the right word. Things that I dearly miss from other games are more just extras for me. I can live without CASt, it just takes more digging for recolors and maybe I have to end up making them myself. It lets me be more creative with outfit choices when I know I can't just CASt the same 3 outfits into a color scheme that fits the character. I don't really like having a fully open world (although I like TS4's chunks of open areas,) I like rotational play so story progression kills me inside, and TS2's feel is just more comfortable to me.

I do like TS3, though, I wouldn't have 400 hours logged on Origin if I didn't!
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by redandvidya
Seriously though, every time I miss TS3 features like Story Progression, I just go and play it. I know people complain a lot about "how bad the sims look, it's the worst sims game AHHH!" But I for one actually like Sims 3's Barbie Dollhouse Aesthetic. And even when the default skin and eyes are pretty ugly, I download some Maxis Match Skins and TS2 MM Eye Conversions that immediately improve it and give them their own familiar, but unique look. I played Sims 3 for four hours last night and it was so fun, I could go to the park and see all the Sunset Valley Sims hanging out, doing their thing. Yeah Vanilla Story Progression isn't the best, but AwesomeMod / NRaas Story Progression (whichever one you like) fixes that and is enough for me.

Yeah, downloading camera mods and hood deco does give the feel of an open world, but it still won't change the fact that my two sims can go to the park, then visit the theatre when there's a movie, and go back to his/her house, all without a loading screen.
Some people are enough with a faux-open world, and when I play TS2 I'm okay with it too, but it's still a super cool feature that I'd like to see redone in Sims 5.

Also, why are people complaining so much about how bad TS3 lags? It doesn't always lag for everybody, including me. I run it on my 2013 midrange i5 build, with an RX 570 and it works wonderfully! I feel like people are so quick to bash on it, ignoring the factory corrupt Sims 2 default hoods and TS4's awful Simulation Lag and Multitasking.

I love both games, even with all their flaws, and I really wish people would stop comparing TS2 vs TS3 because at it's core you can see that a lot of passion really went into both games. Also, I don't think "It runs well that's why it's good" is a good excuse to say that TS4 is better / the best. Just my two cents x

I understand and I really respect your opinion. I think the reason people are saying that might be that is because Sims 3 is just so poorly optimized and is slow even on high end hardware and would rather just move on to the next shiny thing then deal with the performance problems of Sims 3 so they say that to justify their decisions. I think you're one of the lucky ones with a computer good enough to handle it and mods to optimize the game performance. I just can't afford that luxury right now so I have to just stick with what I got for now. Besides whenever I play Sims 3 after a while even with its technical advances like an open world,CAST,and body customization I would start to miss the cute stuff of Sims 2 like the children running to show off their report cards and running to hug their parents after work and they have more interactions to choose from then the ones on Sims 3 and that goes for the teens and adults as well. The romance on Sims 2 is more intimate while Sims 3 is a lot more toned down for lack of a better word. Since I don't know what else to say so I'll end it by saying this. I'm not saying that no passion was put into Sims 3 but it's very clear to me that a lot more effort was put into the gameplay and sims on Sims 2 while Sims 3 seemed to focus too much on everything else than the actual gameplay and the sims themselves and I'll continue playing it until something better comes along in the future.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 11:57 PM

We're glad it runs well for you and that you love the game. This isn't everyone's experience and we are all talking about our own experiences here. I could never run more than 3 EP's at a time as the more I added the worst not only the lag became but the textures became muddy and blurred.
There is nothing that mods can fix for me I liked the activities but I disliked sims 3 sims, how they interact, the popups, the moodlets,not just how they look.
I had the same issue with CC, I put on a couple of mods a few patterns and the game said 'enough'. Even a lipstick showed up all blurred and muddy so I could not even fix how they looked with CC, but looks was the smallest area of dislike not the major factor. The main thing I liked about Sims 3 was the scenery but as I said many times over the years I don't buy a game to play the scenery. As much as I do love good scenery its the sims themselves that are number one.

Also some of us can't take the whole movement through an open-world thing either. It triggers motion sickness for some of us, or certainly, it does me so most the time I had to shut my eyes while the car moved around. May as well have had a loading screen. I can't play most modern games because of this. I tried Esso on demo, just as well as I can't play behind the eyes of a character with a completely free moving camera either. I'm not sure what you call it but luckily Skyrim has another position that I can tolerate but even then I have to take a break down long dungeons and caves.

This is no reflection on you and your enjoyment of sims 3. The same way I hate olives, it simply is what it is. I get that sims 3 players probably want to defend their game, and if someone's dislike has been fixed by a mod, great stuff, let them know. But for me it's the nuts and bolts of the game itself and it is nothing that can be fixed.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
We're glad it runs well for you and that you love the game. This isn't everyone's experience and we are all talking about our own experiences here. I could never run more than 3 EP's at a time as the more I added the worst not only the lag became but the textures became muddy and blurred.
There is nothing that mods can fix for me I liked the activities but I disliked sims 3 sims, how they interact, the popups, the moodlets,not just how they look.
I had the same issue with CC, I put on a couple of mods a few patterns and the game said 'enough'. Even a lipstick showed up all blurred and muddy so I could not even fix how they looked with CC, but looks was the smallest area of dislike not the major factor. The main thing I liked about Sims 3 was the scenery but as I said many times over the years I don't buy a game to play the scenery. As much as I do love good scenery its the sims themselves that are number one.

Also some of us can't take the whole movement through an open-world thing either. It triggers motion sickness for some of us, or certainly, it does me so most the time I had to shut my eyes while the car moved around. May as well have had a loading screen. I can't play most modern games because of this. I tried Esso on demo, just as well as I can't play behind the eyes of a character with a completely free moving camera either. I'm not sure what you call it but luckily Skyrim has another position that I can tolerate but even then I have to take a break down long dungeons and caves.

This is no reflection on you and your enjoyment of sims 3. The same way I hate olives, it simply is what it is. I get that sims 3 players probably want to defend their game, and if someone's dislike has been fixed by a mod, great stuff, let them know. But for me it's the nuts and bolts of the game itself and it is nothing that can be fixed.

I'm sorry but if you don't mind me asking what exactly don't you like about Sims 3 and its sims?
Field Researcher
#22 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 1:35 AM
I'm not saying that no passion was put into Sims 3 but it's very clear to me that a lot more effort was put into the gameplay and sims on Sims 2 while Sims 3 seemed to focus too much on everything else than the actual gameplay and the sims themselves and I'll continue playing it until something better comes along in the future.

I respect your opinion, but I gotta disagree; Sims in TS3, to me, were much more advanced than TS2 thanks to the trait system. Personally, as a player, the point system limited how my imagination really went with my sims; I feel like I'm "handing out" personalities and it feels like at times you have to give "higher priority" to some traits if you really want that specific behavior of your sim to shine. Otherwise, I don't feel any difference as a player between my sim being Neat - 4 or Neat 7. This is one of the more unpopular opinions about the imperfections of TS2. The trait system feels much better in this regard, I feel much more closer to my original sims than if I were to make them in TS2.

I know people are really hung up on small details, but again, at least TS3 traded it for the really big features like open world and CASt. And TS3 sims to me still have a lot of personality, like the sound effects when Sims kiss or get married, or that they feel closer every time they end a date, similar to TS2. Also, the romance interactions aren't fair considering the release date, a time where there was a huge stigma against video games by angry moms or something like that, and anything "racy" could get the game off sales.

And TS3 isn't really POORLY poorly optimized; again, not everyone has issues with the game, and it's so annoying how it's treated like it always is having isssues. And compared to other games at the time which were released in that era, which were also known for their buggy-ness (GTA 4 is a good example of this) it makes sense that games from this era, which were made for 32-bit dual cores with 2gb of ram, would struggle adapting to newer technology. (And TS2 isn't exempt from this BTW, Pink Flashing is a really stupid thing that happens and IDK why.)

I'm not trying to come off as "A Sims 3 simmer brigading Sims 2 forums," because I really do love TS2, and I post about it a lot on my simblr, and I make CC for it, etc. But I'm just saying, that TS3 (however unoptimized for some people it may be,) is an underrated game in the series, constantly put down by "iT dOeSnt WorK oN mY 2007 comPuTeR lIke sImS 4 do0Es"
Instructor
#23 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 2:10 AM
I get the really bad motion sickness as well playing sims 3, especially when i had a sim running around looking for gems or seeds. I havent played sims 3 for about 5 years i think now ever since it fried my last computer's video card. I really am a rotational player and like to control what my sims do so that really made sims 3 hard for me. Also the basic story progression i got the bug that kept killing all my babies and toddlers which if it wasnt for NRASS i probably would have thrown the towel in ages ago.

As for the sims 4 CAS i'm probably the only one but i cant stand it! I much prefer the sims 2 and im really not into fat or muscly sims anyways.
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 2:42 AM
I respect your opinion, but I gotta disagree; Sims in TS3, to me, were much more advanced than TS2 thanks to the trait system. Personally, as a player, the point system limited how my imagination really went with my sims; I feel like I'm "handing out" personalities and it feels like at times you have to give "higher priority" to some traits if you really want that specific behavior of your sim to shine. Otherwise, I don't feel any difference as a player between my sim being Neat - 4 or Neat 7. This is one of the more unpopular opinions about the imperfections of TS2. The trait system feels much better in this regard, I feel much more closer to my original sims than if I were to make them in TS2.

I know people are really hung up on small details, but again, at least TS3 traded it for the really big features like open world and CASt. And TS3 sims to me still have a lot of personality, like the sound effects when Sims kiss or get married, or that they feel closer every time they end a date, similar to TS2. Also, the romance interactions aren't fair considering the release date, a time where there was a huge stigma against video games by angry moms or something like that, and anything "racy" could get the game off sales.

And TS3 isn't really POORLY poorly optimized; again, not everyone has issues with the game, and it's so annoying how it's treated like it always is having isssues. And compared to other games at the time which were released in that era, which were also known for their buggy-ness (GTA 4 is a good example of this) it makes sense that games from this era, which were made for 32-bit dual cores with 2gb of ram, would struggle adapting to newer technology. (And TS2 isn't exempt from this BTW, Pink Flashing is a really stupid thing that happens and IDK why.)

I'm not trying to come off as "A Sims 3 simmer brigading Sims 2 forums," because I really do love TS2, and I post about it a lot on my simblr, and I make CC for it, etc. But I'm just saying, that TS3 (however unoptimized for some people it may be,) is an underrated game in the series, constantly put down by "iT dOeSnt WorK oN mY 2007 comPuTeR lIke sImS 4 do0Es"

I can't seem to figure much fun things for my sims to do out in the town because of the lack of interactions and options to do but it may just be me because I just can't enjoy playing Sims 3 as much as I used to because i'm used to all of the stuff that my sims can do on it and just can't give it up for a few great features and I have a more personal attachment to it since I used to play on an old computer back in the mid 2000's when I was a child.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 5:56 AM
I'm sorry but if you don't mind me asking what exactly don't you like about Sims 3 and its sims?

Pretty much everything about them. Looks, idles, moodlets, interactions and the pop-ups. I liked casT but not the genetics. The toddlers and kids all look like ugly puddings the babies are wrapped lava that can't even be bathed without a shop item and I have heard things about that item as well. I am a huge baby-toddler-kids family/genetic player. Everything that Sims 3 really falls flat on. As you can imagine I was HUGELY disappointed in sims 4 when it came out too. I didn't buy that until toddlers were patched in (more ugly blob babies) and it was half price. I only ever buy packs for that at half price because its all it is worth.
Back with Sims 3, I don't want to be told how someone is feeling I want to see it and I want to decide for myself as well because maybe in my story they are not feeling that way. I just don't connect to them, they feel soulless to me. The last time I really played I had a family up to where the eldest child had just grown up and moved in with her husband. I had mum go over to give her a housewarming present and got a popup saying she didn't know this person well enough, I basically rage quit. After spending all that family time for that to happen so easily, nope.
When I played it I enjoyed it more for what could be done rather than the sims. So I liked the dive spots and the tombs and the scenery and the collecting but not the sims. The time before that I had tried to play through all the vacation things and that decided to bug our halfway and nobody had any answers to help with it. The time before that I played through the resorts but again the game made me play a resort to how it wanted not to how I wanted. I think a large percentage of us sims 2 players are control freaks -we want to control how things go not the game.

This is me and how I play. Other's love sims 3 and that is fine by me. I know it has its good points but so far sims 2 is the only game that lets me play how I want. There are some areas it lacks but these are specialised areas like no diving, no skiing, no proper sports. Disappointing but not effecting the entire game. Apart from these, I can use mods to pretty much do anything the way I want them.

Quote: Originally posted by @Fearless Butterfly
I get the really bad motion sickness as well playing sims 3, especially when i had a sim running around looking for gems or seeds. I havent played sims 3 for about 5 years i think now ever since it fried my last computer's video card. I really am a rotational player and like to control what my sims do so that really made sims 3 hard for me. Also the basic story progression i got the bug that kept killing all my babies and toddlers which if it wasnt for NRASS i probably would have thrown the towel in ages ago.

As for the sims 4 CAS i'm probably the only one but i cant stand it! I much prefer the sims 2 and im really not into fat or muscly sims anyways.

I'm glad I am not the only one. I have to be careful as I have epilepsy which is probably why I do get motion sickness so easily. Seems like everything new does this now.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 5