Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 5:23 AM
Default Good Bugs
Generally bugs in a game are thought of as a bad thing. They can pretty much always be seen as a game not working in the way the developers intended, and usually, that does mean they're bad... but not always. Sometimes a bug might make the game not work the way it was intended to, but it brings in its own interesting gameplay or design quirks. So what are some "bugs" that you either like, or have found interesting ways of actually incorporating into your stories?

For instance, I have no interest whatsoever in 'fixing' the "make me beautiful" glitch, because I've found that leaving the glitch as-is works perfectly to make celebrity Sims actually have an obsessive and adoring public, or to make vampire or elfin seductresses actually irresistible to the mortal masses...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 6:57 AM
Yes, I have this family, that may soon have their lives destroyed due to the bugs. Jack and Coral Beam are such wonderful and unique beach people, who are very much in love and are waiting on their first child. Problem is, they keep getting eaten by the sand with only their head showing.

I think it's to do with the way the beach terrain is laid out and their pathing. But a flat beach lot isn't much fun.

I'm not gonna tell them that there are two clones created and ready to take their place. They will be transported via the intelligence community to a security facility, never to be seen again. Their contaminated beach lot will be bulldozed and their child fostered out to scientist for study. The intelligence community think all strange stuff are signs of alien activity and they hate aliens as much as they fear them. Poor Breams.
Alchemist
#3 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 8:25 AM Last edited by Phantomknight : 7th May 2020 at 5:42 AM.
For the longest time I avoiding fixing the barista glitch--you could queue up "Be barista" and the game would process the commands, but instead of giving you a normal salary, you got an extra salary for each 'Be barista' command. It was really convenient for my legacy founder and sims who I wanted to earn money, but kinda cheat a little. It was like they were getting a quadruple bonus or something.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Instructor
#4 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 9:12 AM
The Physiology bug has always been my favourite LOL used it especially when I need to get high skills for their career or for teens to get an extra scholarship.

Never heard of this "make me beautiful glitch", does it have to do with the cologne from NL?
Theorist
#5 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 12:08 PM
It's the "Give Me Beauty" genie wish from Free Time. There are two fixes, one by Marhis on MTS which prevents sims visiting at night (because they would immediately leave anyway), and one from Cyjon. But Cyjon's description makes the wish "bug" be that more funny and more Maxis-like:
Quote: Originally posted by Cyjon
No more vacation locals traveling thousands of miles just to hang out by your mailbox and peek through your windows.
Quote: Originally posted by Cyjon
Visitors will not include:
  • (...)
  • Vampires during daylight hours
Your sim has vampires dying to meet them! How cool is that!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 12:16 PM
The 'drama professors fall in love with everybody' one is one I'm never fixing. They're drama professors after all, plus it's hilarious.
Alchemist
#7 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
The 'drama professors fall in love with everybody' one is one I'm never fixing. They're drama professors after all, plus it's hilarious.

This one actually isn't a bug. Maxis made them like that on purpose.

I haven't done it in awhile, but the novel copying bug was useful.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=449341
Forum Resident
#8 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 2:19 PM
I think the smart milk's effect being stuck on toddlers is a glitch, but I kinda like that. Child prodigy but artificial.
"If you can't develop an incredible ability to learn at the speed of light naturally, store bought is fine."
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 4:17 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Apr 2020 at 7:26 PM.
The smartmilk bug (the one that continues the smartmilk effect even when the actual effect wears off) was quite neat whenever I was trying to have two adults do the whole skill dance with twins, triplets or quads.

I also like the funny bugs, the ones that makes you laugh because they are quirky or happen just at the right moment, and you just happen to pause the game in the right moment to get a picture.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 5:35 PM
The ones where the sims face get pretty funny especially when they get stuck the shocked face. Even funnier when it happens in cutscenes.
Alchemist
#11 Old 2nd May 2020 at 4:27 AM
You know, if it didn't wreck the game, I'd let my npc vampires bite Mrs. Crumplebottom. That old bat deserves what she gets, tbh, and I wouldn't mind seeing her have to run away during the daylight.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#12 Old 2nd May 2020 at 4:37 AM
When you take pictures in game with a camera (either the art career camera or the BV camera) and there's a mirror in the shot, the reflection is all wonky.

It's annoying when you want a normal picture, but I have a sim with a photography gallery who specializes in these abstract pictures because I think the result looks really cool.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd May 2020 at 5:23 AM
I enjoyed today when my sim was stuck in running, Lot is pretty large and he did everything so fast.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 3rd May 2020 at 1:24 AM
Oh, Annaminna, you just reminded me of that bug where children who are canceled out of playing cops 'n robbers often continue to dash around at top speed until they grow up. That's useful with kids who have few active points, especially on big lots. Was your sim a child sim or an older sim? I wouldn't mind knowing what bug makes older sims dash around too.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd May 2020 at 5:45 AM
The smartmilk bug is the biggest one that I know for a fact I will never fix ever. I really like that it gives kids a one-up on skilling compared to adults because kids have more plastic minds made for learning, and I like that I sometimes end up with a sim kid who doesn't get the effect and ends up a bit slower than their peers because people don't learn at the same rate in life.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th May 2020 at 9:22 PM
I got one last night where the nanny shows up the opposite of the schedule she is supposed to track: comes at ten pm instead of ten am. Which, since the family has a butler, is amazing.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
#17 Old 5th May 2020 at 4:01 PM
Just experienced the one last night with the toddler Smart Milk... Definitely using it to my advantage for story purposes. Forrest Parker is an only child, his father Kaibab is a stay at home dad and taught him his toddler skills very quickly, and his mother Shenandoah is a school teacher. Makes sense their kiddo will be super smart with all of the attention he gets and having a teacher as a mom.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th May 2020 at 2:31 PM
I use the smart milk bug as a stand-in for being born into a family that can give you more advantages in life. For example, Cassandra Goth's kids, being the children of a doctor and a scientist, will get smart milk. Brandi Broke's kids won't.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 19th May 2020 at 3:16 PM
Not really a bug, more of a mod conflict, so I don't know whether that counts. I have some conflict that prevents my animals from aging and dying naturally. I can force them to do so, but otherwise, they just live forever.

I will never try to fix this conflict.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/