Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 2:13 PM
Default New hair mesh only appears for elders
I've spent two days trying to figure this out and no luck. I made a custom mesh and texture and was following this tutorial to make it a functional hairstyle. I followed all the instructions exactly, but when I preview it in Body Shop, only Elder Sims use the correct mesh--adults use the original from the hairstyle I cloned.

I have gone through the whole tutorial three times, thinking that maybe I missed a step, forgot to commit changes somewhere, something like that. And I can't see anything that I haven't done exactly the way it describes. Elders have used the correct (new) mesh on every single try--but adult Sims always use the old mesh, even though I'm using the exact same files and performing the exact same actions for both age groups. Completely at a loss. I've tried Googling every phrasing of this problem I can think of but haven't turned up anything.

Here's a screenshot of what I get in Body Shop.
If someone wants to pick apart the files themselves, they're here.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Dec 2016 at 12:08 AM
Looks like a mesh linking problem to me. Are you sure you linked the adult meshes to the correct adult age groups? Sometimes it's tricky to figure out which age group is which in SimPE.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2016 at 3:18 AM
Looking at the 3IDR's, all but one of them list a specific age group, eg. Age=YoungAdult or Age=Toddler. Assuming that's what you're referring to when you say age groups. I am pretty sure... was paying very close attention on the second and third tries since I thought something in there might be responsible.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Dec 2016 at 7:18 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. I always have trouble with those, especially finding the correct 3IDR (sometimes the instance numbers don't match up like they should, and things can get confusing). But if it's not that... I'm not sure what it could be. Hopefully someone else has some ideas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 3:02 PM
Okay, I just realized the version of SimPE I'm using (0.72.1.33855) is an alpha version. I suspect that may be the cause for at least part of my problem here... because I tried cloning a new object and that didn't work right either, even though (again) I followed all the steps I was told.

I'm going to try to find a slightly older and (hopefully) more stable version of the program, and see if that helps any.

[edit] Welp, I was wrong. The reason the object wasn't working was because I forgot I needed to give it a separate GUID. To my knowledge, hair and other Body Shop type stuffs don't need GUIDs? So I guess that can't be the problem here. Dang. :\
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Feb 2017 at 3:34 PM
I know this is an old thread, so you may have solved the problem already, but -

I think you've made the crucial mistake of believing EA when they tell you what something is .

The 3IDR for the adult version of your hair is pointing to the wrong CRES and SHPE. I think this happened because you thought the adult 3IDR was actually for teens, so you didn't edit it. It's an easy mistake to make, since the Category line in the adult 3IDR says "Age=teen" - you should always ignore that line as it's usually wrong. Here's how to figure out which age a 3IDR is for:
  • First, look at the instance number of the 3IDR.
  • Find the GZPS with the same instance number.
  • If the GZPS has p, c or t in the name, you can safely assume that the matching 3IDR is for that age.
  • If the GZPS has a in the name, then it could be for adult, elder or young adult. Open the GZPS and look at the age flag. The flags mean the following things:
Infant (B): 0x00000020
Toddler (P): 0x00000001
Child (C): 0x00000002
Teen (T): 0x00000004
Young Adult (YA): 0x00000040
Adult (A): 0x00000008
Elder (E): 0x00000010
(Taken from Almighty Hat's tiptorial)
  • Whichever age is indicated by the flag in the GZPS, that's the age that the 3IDR is for.

So in the case of your helmet, you've got 6 relevant 3IDRs:
1 is for toddlers
2 is for children
3 is for teens
4 is for adults
5 is for elders
6 is for young adults

Here's a version of your male recolour, working for AM and EM. It's not enabled for YM, I dunno if that's intentional or not.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Ghostfishe_MandoHelm_M.7z (81.1 KB, 16 downloads) - View custom content

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 1:15 AM
Thank you so much! Until I saw this post, I had basically given up on being able to make this work. I had not managed to figure it out for myself yet so this is extremely helpful. I was definitely guilty of using the Category line since it seemed so appealingly straightforward. Thank you, EA, for being so weird.

I did notice something seemed a little "funny" with the YM version, but it being disabled wasn't intentional. Maybe it has something to do with the hair I used as a base?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 7:50 PM
Might be, yeah - enabling it for YM should(?) be as simple as following the instructions to disable an age in reverse.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.