Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 3:47 AM
Default Who else has character-based games?
I run a house that's all the team bosses from Pokémon and it's hilarious. I had to start over due to a game breaking bug stranding us in France so I worked that in saying that Cyrus achieved his goal of restarting the universe and is still stuck with these dipsticks. Guzma is a slob, Ghetsis is slowly making enemies of everyone else, Archie and Maxie are dating because of course they are, and Lusamine is going to have a tank full of perfect jellyfish.

I'm also about to start a save for some of the Final Fantasy 6 characters. It's a shame Relm can't meet a lifetime goal since she maxes out her painting skill pretty quickly. Her dog is there too and I'll probably add Mog as a cat. I've run a few saves with them in the past and I usually switch out who's in the house, and I don't think I've run one without Celes before so this will be new (I have Setzer, Relm, Gau, Terra, Locke, and Sabin, plus Interceptor).

And sometimes I have one based on Valkyria Chronicles 2 since I love my Lanseal babies. I have them on a farm since Avan is a farmboy, and that takes spoiled Nahum a long time to get used to. He's engaged to Alexis, and Rene and Magari are dating. Pretty much everyone has max skill in gardening since they all work on the farm.

So how about you guys?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 4:01 AM
Always. The term "Sim" doesn't do my characters justice, because they have a vivid personality and unique behavioural quirks. There's also very few of them, relatively speaking, so none of them are particularly similar.

Amber/Annabel is the big douchey lesbian with too much money to spend, and she exists in a perpetual quantum state of being the classiest most independent person you've ever known, and being an immature, clingy, profane goofball pothead.
Holly seems innocent and cute, but she's neither. She's incredibly intelligent, as well as highly skilled at manipulating people, but as long as you don't get in her way she's an absolute angel.
Jeremy may seem like the shallow jock type but he's a lot brighter than he realizes. He's easy to like, and he always means well. He can achieve most things he sets his mind to, but since he generally doesn't bother he's mostly the drooling idiot he's known for being.
Isabella has ancestors from all over and likes to think she's picked up a bit of the best of each. She's lenient but consequent, she loves children, she's faithful despite a considerable sexual appetite, she's a damn good cook and she's not afraid to speak her mind.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 4:45 AM
That's awesome! I was initially thinking of "characters" as meaning from other series, but that's great how you expanded so much like that. Is there a reason that your first one has two names? Like, is she in different saves of yours?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 5:05 AM
Everyone calls her Amber, her wife included, but it's not her real name. I thought I should mention that it's Annabel. Amber's parents are somewhat snobbish and at the time thought Amber to be too "common" for a name. So 9 years after Andrea and Michael Parker had Diana, they had Annabel. And little Annabel eventually became Amber. And Amber is the one who made a name for herself, not Annabel, so it's The Late Tonight Show With Amber Parker, not Annabel Parker.

And yeah I guess they're all in different saves. Amber exists in the future, Holly exists as countless variations in different places and time periods. Isabella is her own mother, in a way of speaking. The same goes for Lorelei Gallagher who I did not mention, who exists in the past as her own mother. The difference being, Lorelei was born in 1987 and Laura Gallagher is child-free a year later. Then again, little Annabel's parents are childfree and living in Bridgeport so clearly this must be some alternate universe or some shit like that.

Now, finally, why my female Sims all have the same last names as their mothers? It's a Simanian custom for the husband to take the wife's name in marriage, not the other way around. Laura Gallagher never married, however, while Michael Sutherland became Michael Parker when he married Andrea. Holly occasionally goes by Parker-Bridges but generally prefers to omit her wife's last name. She has a name of her own, and she's written some novels under a pseudonym, so she doesn't really need the attention. Now in the future, say 250 years from now, the custom of taking another name in marriage has died out completely.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 7:33 AM
I have kept the family name down now 34 generations in my family. Males who marry into the family get the name whether they like it or not! LOL
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 7:42 AM
Oh, fun fact I just found out: both the names Holly and Amber peaked in popularity during the 1980s, which is when both characters were born. I did not put any effort into naming either of them, at the time, but ultimately they seem to have been good choices. I did eventually rename Amber though, to Annabel, which peaked in popularity in 2014. When did I decide to rename her? 2016. So clearly I have an uncanny ability to devise current names, despite being utterly clueless about trends in newborn culture. All I know is that my 6-year old niece is called Lauren, and that it's a classy name that has probably lost lots of popularity in favour of Kaelynn, Quenda, Khaleesi and Destiny.

Edit: Lauren peaked in 1989. Makes sense, considering her mother's age. I too shall one day give my kids proper 90s names. I just wish I didn't have one myself....

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 7:46 AM
My mom considered Holly for me, but I did not get that and am glad I did not. As born in July it would not make much sense, but moreso as the 2 Holly folks I knew in High School were PIAs. (!)

Apologies to all the Holly folks here who are probably as nice as can be.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 2:29 AM
I usually do character based sims. For instance in my Medieval worlds, I've literally remade the whole Game of Thrones noble houses, with other "important" characters to the plot. I've also tried to do Eragon. However it's hard with the little dragons that came with Dragon Valley, but I'm using CC to represent fully grown Saphira. I've also created the characters from the series Gotham and redid Midnight Hollow to represent my version of what Gotham should look like. Since Gotham is a city and Midnight Hollow is a town or suburb, I added dilapidated buildings and high rises to give it that grungy city feel to it. And with Roaring Heights, I took and made all the real life gangsters and movie stars from the 1920's/30's era, like Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, and Frank White from Harlem. I also made a Josephine Baker sim and a Groucho Marx sim as well. Right now I'm working on my version of Anne Rice's the Witching Hour in the beautiful custom world of Derielle. It has the perfect New Orleans/ Bayou feel to it, and has EVERYTHING... I'm actually on my second generation of that character based save of Charlotte, (the cunning beautiful daughter of Deborah) who just had a ghost child with the spirit Lasher named Petyr. (Although if you read the books you would know who the real father is, but alas I couldn't bring myself to play that way, to creepy.... Although I love the story.....
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 5:31 AM
in my current game I'm playing hiccup and astrid sims. astrid is trying to become a secret agent while writing sports books in her spare time and hiccup is an inventor who keeps setting himself on fire. they have two kids so far, runa who just reached the child stage and stoick who is about halfway through the baby stage. I'm planning a third for them but not until stoick is well into the toddler stage because I need a break from babies. they're also deep in debt right now because astrid ended up pregnant with stoick while they were still living in their tiny starter home so I had them take out a big high risk loan so they could buy what is probably my favorite house in riverview, the five bedroom right across from the school. ugly as hell but that's what remodeling is for. undecided though as to whether I'm gonna keep the third bedroom for their third kid or use it as like a sort of workshop area for hiccup and have two of the kids share. I made a rule where hiccup has to create a sketch before he can invent something new, like he's sketching out his new idea. also, depending on the complexity of the invention, he sometimes has to create a mod using arsil's programming skill and write a manual before he can sell the invention. right now he's just got a sketch book but I want to get him a drafting table. my other options are convert the office that's already there or build him a shed out back. first they should really pay back their debt though.

in the past, I often played merlin and arthur sims based on the characters from the bbc series. before I switched to my hiccstrid sims I was playing businessman arthur and doctor merlin, living in that same five bedroom in riverview lmao (I really am kind of obsessed with that house I think it's very well located for a family and if you disregard the horrific colors and decor it's a nice house).

I also once made what is, in my opinion, a very convincing sim replica of chell from portal.

way waaaay back when I first started playing I made naruto sims. usually itachi and shisui, sometimes sasuke, once naruto.

occasionally I just make a sim up on the spot, but I find the saves I'm most invested in are usually ones where the sims are based on my favorite characters.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 4:48 PM
I am a fairly avid player of pen and paper RPGs. Many of my sims are characters that I've either played in games, wanted to play but never gotten a chance to, or had as non-player characters in a game I've ran.
Theorist
#11 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 7:48 PM
I try to put different nationalities in my worlds. So the characters I use often have ethnic names and I guess I make them somewhat look "typical" of these stereotypes. It just helps me to form personalities and make the town a little more multicultural and realistic. You can only have so many Smiths and Joneses. Again, I'm from NY, so we have many different nationalities or descendants of nationalities. It's never done in a negative or prejudiced way. In fact, if I catch myself doing that, I will often specifically make sure I make so and so's life wish to be mayor not a criminal.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 7:53 PM
Yeah, I do the same. Bridgeport is somewhat of an NY analog, it's and it's the easternmost major city of North America and though it's less than half the size of NYC, it's still attracted a large and diverse migrant population. My main characters are an Englishwoman's daughter, a German's granddaughter, a French Jew, a black man, and then a couple of regular North Americans whose direct ancestors lived there themselves.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#13 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 9:16 PM
Completely character-based in my game. i'm a big fan of Supernatural, so the boys are in the game; love mysteries and vampires and what not, so they're in there too. I'm always up for historical replays of people, so I chuck them in as well. With the mods, it's easy to get their personalities right; to the point where sometimes it's a bit uncanny valley when they do stuff that's canon to their IRL counterparts.

I'm currently in Twinbrook's world in my game for the main part of my story i'm working on. I've always been fascinated with Louisiana and what not (I blame Anne Rice for that) and being someone from the northern wilds of very upstate NY, a place without 30 feet of snow in a season is neat. (though in reality, the heat down there would melt me!). I love a diverse population so there's a lot of different people in my game of all sorts and kinds. I wish there was more LGBT/drag things available for the game, though - it would be nice to see that part of my family represented a bit more in the game.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 10:34 PM
I sometimes play with the premades and my own original characters, but I usually go for the fandom stuff. I've had a save for romance game heroines, another for Mega Man X (my X sim is probably my oldest), and now I'm playing with two versions of Castlevania characters - one canon, one modernized.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 2:18 AM
Sometimes, if I find a piece of CC that really reminds me of a character, I'll search for more cc, make and play them.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 4:52 AM
I've made Sims of characters from other video games. The Fateless One and Grim Onwig from Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Daud, Billie Lurk, and Thomas the Whaler from Dishonored have made multiple Appearances as CAS Sims.
Test Subject
#17 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 5:08 PM
Currently playing two different saves the feature some of my friend and I's characters.

One couple has had 7 kids by now and are immortal. They have to stay alive for the entire legacy or if they die they have to be brought back somehow. So far no close calls. I only wanted them to have three kids dangit.

Second save is three magical dorks trying to live their dreams and explore the world. Needless to say, college didn't go well. They quit because of traffic jams.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:56 AM
Yeah, sometimes I make historical figure sims. I usually make them and then set them loose in the town, I rarely play them. I once made an Aleister Crowley sim, but he's sitting untouched in my sim bin because I didn't think even Midnight Hollow could handle him, if the sim acted anything like the guy he's supposed to be used to act in his time. Not to mention, I don't really want a piece of occult history running around in a game where witches turn people into toads and wear pointy hats, werewolves, vampires, fairies, zombies, and ghosts exist, and pretty much everything supernatural is a big cartoonish joke.(Even the A.C. references in Supernatural are too much for me some days.)

98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't copy & paste this in your siggy.
May the Goddess walk with you.

Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the law, love under will.
93 93/93