Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 12:17 AM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 11th Feb 2010 at 3:04 AM. Reason: added wiki link

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Sims 3 Patch Issues - read before asking for help!
This thread has been wikified: Game_Help:TS3_Patchingwiki

------------
We have found a large number of people are posting in this thread without bothering to try the advice listed here first. Please actually read and follow all of the advice listed in this thread before asking for help. Please, also, include the phrase "marbles ate my llama!" somewhere in your post, so we can be assured you have actually read this guide.

Before installing the patch:

Due to many reports of problems relating to the 1.3 and 1.4 patch, we recommend you at least skim this thread to get an idea of the possible issues associated with it – and consider waiting for a patch with less problems to come out.

Remove your mods. Some users have reported issues with installing the patch when their mods are still in.

To do this, go to your Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder. Note that is in PROGRAM FILES - not in My Documents.

Select the Mods folder there. Right-click and choose Cut.

Go to your computer's Desktop. Right-click and choose Paste. It may take a few moments as the files cut and paste from one location to the other.

Remove any custom camera hacks. If you have downloaded any custom cameras or custom lighting files (that go in \GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini) then you need to restore the original versions first.

OS X users should back up their entire game (not only the user files – everything) before upgrading to 1.3 or 1.4. Version 1.3 introduces changes to the graphics that apparently don't work for everyone, and a full backup is the only way to roll back to 1.2.7 seeing as the 1.2.7 patches for OS X aren't available anymore.

To install patch 1.4.6:

Run the launcher. You should be able to update in it just fine.

Alternately, if your computer playing Sims 3 does not have internet access, choose one of the following based on what version you have:

Windows:
OS X:

There is no way that we know of to patch OS X from 1.0 with a downloadable patch. This means if you're running 1.0 under OS X, you have to patch with the launcher. Again: back up your entire game before installing! If it turns out 1.4 doesn't work for you, the only alternative for OS X users is version 1.0 if you don't have a backup of a working version.

To install patch 1.3.4:

Run the launcher. You should be able to update in it just fine.

Alternately, if your computer playing Sims 3 does not have internet access, choose one of the following based on what version you have:

All of these are for Windows – the OS X versions are not online anymore. Look further down this thread for alternative sources, people may be re-hosting them at their own discretion. Note, also, that in order to apply 1.2.7 you must have the very first OS X patch installed, which is only possible via the launcher – OS X users without internet access on their gaming machines are SOL, in other words.

I get "Invalid File" when installing the patch!

This is most likely caused by one of the "core" game files (like ini files, custom music, etc) being overwritten by a mod or yourself.

To see exactly which file is invalid, you may try using the following program:

Sims_3_Patch_Log_Viewer (.NET 2.0)
Sims_3_Patch_Log_Viewer (.NET 3.5)

Program written by Delphy with testing by QBUILDERZ. This program should find your patch log and tell you at the bottom if you have any errors (they will be in red). Any files in red you need to restore from your backups or from the original CD.

Actually, don't post "marbles ate my llama!". Please include "crayons ate my llama!" instead.

Once the Patch is installed:

Replace Mod Files:

Go to your computer's Desktop. Select the Mods folder you cut and paste there before. Right-click on it and choose Cut.

Go to your Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder. Note that is in PROGRAM FILES - not in My Documents.

Right-click on an empty space in the folder and choose Paste. Wait a moment while the files are moved.

Removing Likely Problem Files:

Large script mods and hacks such as the Awesomemod, Rick and Delphy's Slider hack, and possibly some other similar mods may no longer work with the patched version without being updated. For best results, remove these files temporarily and check back with their creators in a few days to see if they have been updated. Please be patient - modders need sleep too!

Delete Cache Files:

Go to your My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder. Note that we are now talking about MY DOCUMENTS, and not Program Files anymore.

Delete the following files:
  • CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package

Optional, Windows only - do NOT do this on a Mac:
Also delete the contents of the My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\WorldCaches\ folder. If you do not have a WorldCaches folder or if that folder is empty, don't worry - that's fine. OS X users, please read this post on why this is a bad thing.

Run the Game:

Go ahead and try loading up TS3, and see what happens. With any luck, your game should run fine with no issues.

If you have problems:

1. Remove ALL your mods temporarily. Delete your cache files again. Try loading the game mod-free. If that works...

2. Put back in only "safe" mods - that is, texture replacers like skintones, eyes, no sleep Zzs, etc., and try loading the game again. If that works...

3. Put back in more "custom" files such as patterns, new tee shirt designs, default replacement meshes, etc... If that works...

4. Put back in everything else.

That should at least help you narrow down at what point your game starts crashing, to figure out what the problem might be.

Please note that just because your game crashes on a particular file does not mean that file is corrupted or incompatible with the patch. Try putting in just that one file, deleting your cache files again, and running the game again.

Actually, forget all about marbles, crayons and llamas. Just include "Don't forget the cheesecake!" with your post.

If you still have problems:

If you have deleted all your cache files, removed all your mods, and your game still won't work with the patch, try renaming your My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder to something else - like "The Sims 3 Backup" - remember, that's the folder in MY DOCUMENTS, not in Program Files.

After renaming it, try to run the game. If it works, it means the problem is somewhere in your user files.

And if you're STILL having problems:

Please post on this thread detailing -exactly- what you did to try to fix it, whether you have the EA Downloaded version of the game or a hard copy, your system specs, and any other information that may be relevant, and we will try to help you.

Do NOT post "I tried all that and it didn't work, HELP!" or MTS staff will come to your house and drink all your beer and do lewd things to the arm of your couch.

Last, please also include your game version number with your post. If you don't know your game version, please post "I don't know my version".
Advertisement
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 2:16 AM
Thanks HP! Especially for the download! My home computer is off the net for the time being! :0)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 2:29 AM Last edited by Emimori : 26th Jun 2009 at 2:44 AM.
I'm happy to report that I still have the slider hack in my game after installing the patch with with your instructions. I found my problem was something to do with either your shine mods or the new putty face mods but I haven't narrowed it down any further.

Edit: I take it back lol. It was the facial slider hack that was the problem. It's only allowing me the body slider hack.

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 2:47 AM
Note to people, i'm not sure if this is just me but my game crashes as long as i have Rick and Delphy's Facial Hack package. When i take it out it runs smoothly.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:07 AM Last edited by Flaygor : 26th Jun 2009 at 3:13 AM. Reason: Missing specs
For what it's worth. My game ran smoothly until I put in the patch. Now it crashes the whole system within two minutes! I guess I will now have to reinstall, bummer.
I have never used any mods or hacks (only TCE) and I'm running a bought DVD on Vista 64, Athlon X2 5600, 4GB RAM, GeForce 7600GT, SATA 500GB.
Thankyou EA for a lousy fix, and a reminder to all...back up frequently! I do two seperate ones to be sure.
Oh, and HP? You're welcome to come round for a beer but leave my couch alone!

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥ Now playing Sims 4 but not as EA intended.....
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:33 AM
What does TCE stand for. Have you tried removing that first before you reinstal?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:34 AM
The whole system? Can you be more specific?
A patch shouldn't cause a full system crash.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:42 AM Last edited by Flaygor : 26th Jun 2009 at 4:15 AM. Reason: testing in progress
Kolipoki:TCE = TestingCheatsEnabled. Sorry bout that, just the ingame cheat, worked before. I haven't added any 3rd party mods.
whiterider: Screen froze, no mouse, no task manager response, nothing. Never happened before with anything!
I'm working on checking it out now, just wanted to warn people to think before they download patch as it may not be worth it.
Wait for more feedback I guess.

Been running for a while now with no more hiccups. Could be just an install problem and a reboot sorted it.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥ Now playing Sims 4 but not as EA intended.....
Test Subject
#9 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emimori
I'm happy to report that I still have the slider hack in my game after installing the patch with with your instructions. I found my problem was something to do with either your shine mods or the new putty face mods but I haven't narrowed it down any further.

Edit: I take it back lol. It was the facial slider hack that was the problem. It's only allowing me the body slider hack.

Just want to second this, that's the only file I had leave out of my mod folder to allow the game to load properly. All other mods I had, including the body slider, no mosiac, skill modifers, hidden personality trait hack and HP's first set of improved skintones as well just about every pattern on MTS work fine.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:58 AM
where do I save the file to?
O_o
#11 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:12 AM
i didnt move any of my mods and it works fine... its just the speed isnt fixed and i have the nomosaic mod and i wasnt sure if i took that off if it would work better. what do you all think?
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#12 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:17 AM
The speed may not be 'fixed' for you if you have low system specs. Removing a mod won't speed up your CPU or GPU.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
O_o
#13 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:23 AM
oh! okayy well i can deal with that haha. I have the sims 3 and im happy and i have a late 2008 macbook unibody
Instructor
#14 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:57 AM
I downloaded the English-US version and it started to patch then said that some of the files were bad and stopped. I did try using the worldwide and that one is definitely not the right one. Even though the computer which has TS3 installed on it has an internet connection, I can't download the patch via the launcher because EADM will not work on my computer, no matter what I try.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#15 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sookielee
I downloaded the English-US version and it started to patch then said that some of the files were bad and stopped. I did try using the worldwide and that one is definitely not the right one. Even though the computer which has TS3 installed on it has an internet connection, I can't download the patch via the launcher because EADM will not work on my computer, no matter what I try.

What 'exactly' was the message? Did it start to install and then aborted, or did it not download correctly?

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Instructor
#16 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 6:43 AM
Installing this patch will make TS3 crash????

It also make some mods didn't work properly like before????

I will wait and see until someone confirm it 100% work fine.
Test Subject
#17 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 7:31 AM
Uhhhh... I have a question, I downloaded a sims 3 hair default replacement on peggyzone.com (im not sure if its the problem) Im wondering if this type of download will crash my game?

People R right though! I took away Rick & Delphy's Facial Hack and it helped!
Test Subject
#18 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 7:46 AM
I was dumb and downloaded the patch before removing my mod files. My game now crashes arbitrarily... it fully loads up, will work perfectly well, all mods are go, but then while I'm playing it will shut down the game without any warning prompts or error messages. The mods I'm using are awesomemod, aikea guinea's eye mod, HP's "custard" skin texture replacer, and the peggysims hair replacement mesh. I've tried deleting the caches, but that didn't seem to help.
I figure the crashing is either a result of the hair mesh or the patch, which I installed on the same day, so I can't eliminate the hair mesh as the cause.
Here's my question: is there any way to remove the patch without uninstalling the entire game and then reinstalling it?
Test Subject
#19 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 7:50 AM
well i just wanted to confirm that i have over 15 mods and nothing crashes and everything seems to work fine and the speed fix is really worth it instead of waiting forever for your sim to sleep it is waaaaay faster the sims go like 50x faster and even with the hacks
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 1:58 PM Last edited by SubSonix : 26th Jun 2009 at 2:23 PM.
Hi, i just registered in hope i can get some help:D

I'm trying to install patch 1.2.7 and its getting stuck on 21%
File: Help_updates.html
Located in: \The Sims 3\Game\Bin\HelpPages\CZE_CZ\

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thankyou

*EDIT* managed to bypass that file and now its coming up with the next one... might be this whole folder. brb

yup... but managed to bypass them all if someone could give me a copy of all of their- Help_updates.html -files from all the languages in the- \The Sims 3\Game\Bin\HelpPages\ -folder, i would be grateful:D
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:10 PM
Sweet instructions. Thank you! Could this thread get sticky-ed (stuck?)
Test Subject
#22 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by riruchan
I was dumb and downloaded the patch before removing my mod files. My game now crashes arbitrarily... it fully loads up, will work perfectly well, all mods are go, but then while I'm playing it will shut down the game without any warning prompts or error messages. The mods I'm using are awesomemod, aikea guinea's eye mod, HP's "custard" skin texture replacer, and the peggysims hair replacement mesh. I've tried deleting the caches, but that didn't seem to help.
I figure the crashing is either a result of the hair mesh or the patch, which I installed on the same day, so I can't eliminate the hair mesh as the cause.
Here's my question: is there any way to remove the patch without uninstalling the entire game and then reinstalling it?

The better idea is to do as HP suggests up top and remove the mods folder from your game. See if that allows you to play without errors. Then add each mod in, delete the cache, one by one, until you discover which one is causing the problem? Otherwise, yes, you'll probably have to do a clean install and I'd think that would be even more hassle?
Test Subject
#23 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:04 PM
I threw away the files, but with shift+del, so now they're gone >_<
Where can I download these files again?
Space Pony
#24 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:09 PM
I did the same thing that riruchan has done. I've taken the mods out and so far have added the 'no mosaic' mod back and it's okay. Only thing though, when I went into a house, most of the items there where all white. Then the color and patterns loaded.

I can't figure out why a company such as Electronic Arts can't have the ability to come out with a patch that won't cause so much strife: making us take the mods out each time. They know--and hope--there will be those mods because usually they add those things that others have created, to their future expansions.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:15 PM
sierradane - Things being white temporarily is normal as the game regenerates the textures, if you've removed your cache files.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 25