Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 11:43 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Windows 10/new computer...How to set up mods/CC...is it different from previous OS?
Hello! I just got a new computer, it's an ASUS ROG G752VL, running Windows 10. Here is my exact model + system stats: http://store.asus.com/us/item/201509AM220002986

My previous setup was a Dell desktop running Windows XP. All of my knowledge pertaining to TS3 and how to install custom content/mods/etc. comes from doing so on an XP operating system.

NOTE: any and all advice I mention having gotten has come from responses on THIS THREAD. Please do feel free to correct me if I have a wrong understanding or if said advice is faulty. I have definitely been out of the Sims 3 loop for a good 2 or so years, so I'm not currently up-to-date or in the loop in any way. (though I definitely knew what I was doing when I was playing on an everyday basis / a frequent user of CC and mods, back on the aforementioned XP setup, so I'm not completely clueless - just very out of the loop and trying to regain my knowledge + get an understanding of how things differ now that I'm on Windows 10.)

Basically, I'm coming from a computer that was running Windows XP, and I'm not sure how I should go about transferring over all of my custom content (both .pckg files and downloads) and mods to this new computer. I'm not sure if the whole thing about having your folders located in MyDocuments is still relevant, or or things are completely different on the Windows 10 OS, or what.

I have installed all of my Sims 3 games (BG + WA + AMB + GEN + LN + PETS + SHT + UNI + IP) as well as Origin. I have not yet patched, as I'm hearing bad things about the latest patch (1.69) and am preparing to download SuperPatch 1.67.

I have yet to run my game, as I've also been told that I need to get TS3 to recognize my GTX965M graphic. Again, I'm so completely out of the loop, I have no idea if this is a very true, vital piece of advice, or complete BS.

So in conclusion, I'm really just looking for some help, someone who can really help walk me through, step-by-step, exactly what I need to do to get my game up and running, and how to set up the folders for mods/CC/etc. and how to transfer over all of my CC and mods (I have everything saved on thumb drives, separated out - one thumb drive for mods, one for package files, one for downloads, etc.). Thank you so much in advance, I greatly appreciate the time taken to read this, and will so much appreciate any help or advice I can get.

Thank you!
Cass
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
If you haven't noticed there are only a handful of people who actually replies in the help forum. However, if you doubt anything we're telling you, simply flip through the forum help section back a few pages and you will see a boatload of the same issues you are going through and the same people saying the same thing to help them. I wrote that tutorial for a reason, because I was tired of repeating the same thing again and again. If I have a dime each time someone with a new GPU who couldn't get it recognized and causing glitches and lags in their game, I could quit my day job.

Yes, you have been out of the loop. The good news is, your situation is not unique, is already quite common.

I do apologize for being so out of the loop, and also for insinuating that I doubted any of the information given in the previous thread I'd posted. I know I was being given advice/help by several people, so I just wasn't sure if it might be possible that any of the advice was conflicting, since it wasn't all coming from a single person, or anything like that. Alslo, there were quite a few topics covered, and it was all a bit overwhelming. I'm just trying to start with first things first, though I will admit I'm not even sure what I should be doing very first. I know I need to get TS3 to recognize my graphic, but I don't know if that should be done before or after I set up things to install custom content. I'm also not sure when to patch my game, if it needs to be done now or later, or...It's just a lot to handle, and I think a lot of the stress I'm feeling is coming from not knowing what is most important to address first.

My main reason for posting here: I'm just extremely, extremely overwhelmed, because I have spent the better part of two days trying to figure this all out, trying to find just a simple step-by-step guide when it comes to installing mods/custom content for Windows 10, but haven't been able to find anything, really, that seems clear and doesn't come across as someone just guessing as to how it might be done. For example, I'd always used this guide whenever I needed a refresher on how to deal with CC (after taking an extended break from TS3) / when I was first setting it all up on my old computer with XP. But now, it seems that the guide is outdated, in that the latest OS it mentions is Win 7. Again, I'm running Win 10, and the OS is different enough from 7 that the instructions don't quite apply, and I definitely question if it would even work correctly.

I apologize again, I hate that I'm coming across as this clueless, helpless doof. I am just so overwhelmed by all of this, and I am about ready to smack my head into my keyboard, because I feel like I'm completely missing it - out there, there has to be some easy, SIMPLE, step-by-step guide or walkthrough or something, that simply and to-the-point tells you how you need to set up your TS3 folders, where to put them, what folders to make, etc., and what the process is for installing CC downloads, packages, or mods.

Please, I'm about ready to break down and beg. I am in fear that I'm going to thoroughly screw something up, put a wrong file or folder somewhere, do something, and I'm going to have to completely start over. I greatly admire your patience and desire to help others, and I do realize that the sheer number of repeat questions/issues/posts is probably beyond unbelievable. That said, your help would be so, so much appreciated. I just don't know who to listen to, who actually knows what they're talking about, and since I haven't been able to find any official-like step-by-step guides or how-to's, I feel like I'm just blindly wandering around trying to find someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about to tell me what to do.

Both my apologies, for this disarray of this post and my many, many questions and concerns, as well as my thanks, for you taking the time to even read this, not to even mention offer your help. If I could pay someone to help walk me through this, basically give me all instructions in an easy, step-by-step fashion, I'd honestly do it without even needing to think about it. Yeah...I'm feeling pretty clueless and definitely overwhelmed at this point.
Thank you again.
Cass
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 3:52 AM Last edited by caccigirl : 8th Jul 2016 at 4:02 AM.
You don't have to be so apologetic. I was simply amused b/c the issues are not new and we've all gone through it so many times I guess we've kinda taken it for granted.

My personal advice is don't mess around with CC or mods until you have actually play the clean game to know your installation and everything is in order. When things seem overwhelming, take a step back and prioritize step by step. You want to get your game running first, before adding custom things.

So here's a couple of 1st steps:

1) Don't patch to 1.69. Superpatch it to 1.67.
2) GPU setup IS important, I say that, and others will tell you the same thing, b/c TS3 CAN actually damage your GPU, especially newer and faster CPUs.
- Get the GPU recognized in TS3, make sure the VRAM is working. If not, the workaround is in the tutorial. I believe Papaemy also know another way to get the actual VRAM to work, require a lot of updating drivers.
- Get Nvidia Inspector and limit the FPS to 60. If not, you risk damaging the GPU.
- Either in Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel - Force Vsync ON and turn on Triple Buffering.

Once you have these 2 steps done, you should "test" the game make sure it is running, smoothly, to your liking. Only after you are satisfied with the performance should you then consider CCs and mods.

Thank you for being so understanding, and also so helpful. Just seeing things in a list format in your response was helpful, it felt a lot less stressful. So, before anything else, thank you for that.

I am now in the process of downloading SuperPatch 1.67.

Follow-up question: Is getting TS3 to recognize my GPU the same as getting it to recognize my graphic? I'm assuming so? While I believe you provided me with a link to a guide on how to get that taken care of, I can't seem to find it. Might you be able to link me again? Also, could you clarify what you mean by making sure the VRAM is working? Also, getting Nvidia Inspector and limiting my FPS to 60 part of getting my GPU recognized by TS3? I just really want to make sure I don't miss any steps or do anything wrong.

Note that at this point, all I have done is install my TS3 games/expansions. I'm not sure if I mentioned that previously. I haven't launched the game, for fear of doing that before getting TS3 to recognize my graphic would mess something up. I haven't even been able to remember how to pull up the game launcher/download manager, or if that's something I need to download separately...

Sorry and thank you, again.
Cass

EDIT:
also, i'm currently downloading superpatch 1.67. chrome download bar says i have about 30min left before the download is complete, but I have a quick question: once it downloads, is it going to need me to put anything in any files or folders, or should it just run and patch the game and that will be that, or...? thank you again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 5:06 AM
update: I have patched to 1.67. I'm now trying to figure out how to do the rest of the steps you recommended. Help? My apologies, again.
Thank you,
Cass
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 7:06 AM
You are in excellent hands here, but mind if I jump in anyway and add a few things I didn't see mentioned yet?

-- VerticalSync and I believe the frame rate (fps) limits only work in Full Screen Mode (so don't play in Windowed Mode).
-- To see what your frame rates actually are in-game and confirm that they are being limited, once you have these Nvidia settings in place, use ctrl + shift + C to bring up the cheats console, then fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the value displayed should never wander very far above 60. To make the displayed value go away, cheats console again, then fps off (enter).

-- Later on, when you are ready to add in the Framework and package based content like mods, please be assured that the link you used before is still valid and the required file locations have not changed. Things may look a little different around the edges on Win 10 (as it does on Win 8 and for players on the Mac version), but everything still goes in exactly the same places for all of these operating systems.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 7:09 AM
Hopefully I can help a bit, though I am not as knowledgeable as nitromon clearly is!

I got a new laptop last fall with Windows 10 and a slightly newer graphics card than yours (GTX 970M), and transferred/reinstalled all my Sims 3 stuff at that time. I only found out a few days ago that I could make Sims 3 recognize my graphics card (using the same process that you were linked to), and I can tell you that when Sims 3 couldn't recognize my GPU, the game actually reverted to the LOWEST possible graphics settings each time I opened the launcher, so I had to sit through the first loading screen, raise the settings, and restart the game. Very annoying, but at least it safe-guarded by GPU. Things have been much less frustrating since then

I can't remember if I ever ran TS3 on an XP machine, but my last laptop was running Windows 7 and the process of installing CC and mods has been exactly the same on Windows 10, as follows:
  • Sims3Packs get installed through the launcher, or by double-clicking.
  • Package files go in: "This PC\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages"
  • Resource.cfg file goes in: "This PC\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods"
  • Overrides, if you have any, go in: "This PC\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Overrides"

"This PC" is what literally shows in the address bar of my folders because the Documents folder in Windows 10 is sort of...virtual, I guess? You can tell Windows to store its contents wherever you want. I have mine in my D drive, so the complete address for my mods would be "D:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods". Yours will be similar, but you may have other directories where I have simply my D drive.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 7:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndreaJEP
Hopefully I can help a bit, though I am not as knowledgeable as nitromon clearly is!

I got a new laptop last fall with Windows 10 and a slightly newer graphics card than yours (GTX 970M), and transferred/reinstalled all my Sims 3 stuff at that time. I only found out a few days ago that I could make Sims 3 recognize my graphics card (using the same process that you were linked to), and I can tell you that when Sims 3 couldn't recognize my GPU, the game actually reverted to the LOWEST possible graphics settings each time I opened the launcher, so I had to sit through the first loading screen, raise the settings, and restart the game. Very annoying, but at least it safe-guarded by GPU. Things have been much less frustrating since then

I can't remember if I ever ran TS3 on an XP machine, but my last laptop was running Windows 7 and the process of installing CC and mods has been exactly the same on Windows 10, as follows:
  • Sims3Packs get installed through the launcher, or by double-clicking.
  • Package files go in: "This PC\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages"
  • Resource.cfg file goes in: "This PC\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods"
  • Overrides, if you have any, go in: "This PC\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Overrides"

"This PC" is what literally shows in the address bar of my folders because the Documents folder in Windows 10 is sort of...virtual, I guess? You can tell Windows to store its contents wherever you want. I have mine in my D drive, so the complete address for my mods would be "D:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods". Yours will be similar, but you may have other directories where I have simply my D drive.

I suppose one of the things I'm confused on is the location of my TS3 files. I know when you're setting things up to download CC/mods, you eventually get everything into MyDpxuments. My TS3 folders and files are all listed in my...I want to say C drive? I've can double-check for you tomorrow, but I know for sure they're not under My Documents. So I'm trying to figure out if they need to be moved, or stay where they are, or what exactly I'm supposed to do.

I greatly appreciate your help, thank you!
Cass
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 7:57 AM Last edited by caccigirl : 8th Jul 2016 at 8:14 AM.
If anyone else is reading, please feel free to jump in. My eyes are having a lot of problems lately, so it is difficult for me to read and concentrate especially if there is a lot of reading. My vision gets blurry looking at the screen, maybe I need more vit E.

- Yes, the GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit. The game won't mess up something if you don't do the recognition per say, it may produce lags and choppiness when you play. In some instances such as Intel or AMD, it may have graphical glitches. So far for Nvidia, it is mainly a performance issue. However, limit the FPS to 60 is important b/c newer cards are faster and TS3 doesn't seem to limit the FPS like a good program should do, so you end up with runaway FPS that could potentially burn out your GPU.

After you run the game once, it will create a log file in your Sims 3 folder called deviceconfig. It is a text file you can open up with notepad. In it, you can see if the "texture memory" is broken or not. It will say 32MB override if it is broken.

Link to Fixing TS3 Graphics Recognition.

You can google Nvidia Inspector and download it. It comes with 2 programs (they use to be combined). One of them is the profile editor, which you can edit the profile setting for TS3 to set the FPS limit.

Cool. After you've done the GPU changes above. Play the game for a little bit. Make sure everything is running fine, performance is fine, etc... then from here we can move on to other topics:

1) Mods/CC
2) Performance enhancesments - NRAAS Mods, Ramdisk, Unpark CPU cores, etc...

So, just to clarify, now that I've patched to 1.67, all I need to do is follow the tutorial you linked above for getting ts3 to recognize my GPU/follow the instructions in this post if you're, and that will take care of everything on the to-do list you gave me in your second response?

List I'm referencing:

So here's a couple of 1st steps:

1) Don't patch to 1.69. Superpatch it to 1.67.
2) GPU setup IS important, I say that, and others will tell you the same thing, b/c TS3 CAN actually damage your GPU, especially newer and faster GPUs.
- Get the GPU recognized in TS3, make sure the VRAM is working. If not, the workaround is in the tutorial. I believe Papaemy also know another way to get the actual VRAM to work, require a lot of updating drivers.
- Get Nvidia Inspector and limit the FPS to 60. If not, you risk damaging the GPU.
- Either in Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel - Force Vsync ON and turn on Triple Buffering.

Once you have these 2 steps done, you should "test" the game make sure it is running, smoothly, to your liking. Only after you are satisfied with the performance should you then consider CCs and mods.

Thank you!
Cass

EDIT:
If it would be possible, could you provide me with another list, in the most simple, dumbed-down way possible, of what I need to do and how (tutorial/step-by-step links etc.) and in what order?
For example,
1. Do A (tutorial link here)
2. Do B (tutorial link here)
3. Run game for X minutes to make sure everything runs smooth
4. Do C (tutorial link here)
5. If all above have been completed you should be completely done and ready to play, etc.

As stated earlier, I am so easily overwhelmed, and feel pretty paralyzed with fear of screwing something up because I honestly don't feel like I know what I'm doing, and am not sure what pieces of instructions/advice are linked/have to do with each other/taken care of by the same tutorials, etc, and am not even 100% on which linked tutorials go to which advice/steps on the previously provided list.
Thank you again so much for your help and patience. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 8:55 AM Last edited by AndreaJEP : 8th Jul 2016 at 8:56 AM. Reason: clarified
Quote: Originally posted by caccigirl
I suppose one of the things I'm confused on is the location of my TS3 files. I know when you're setting things up to download CC/mods, you eventually get everything into MyDpxuments. My TS3 folders and files are all listed in my...I want to say C drive? I've can double-check for you tomorrow, but I know for sure they're not under My Documents. So I'm trying to figure out if they need to be moved, or stay where they are, or what exactly I'm supposed to do.

I greatly appreciate your help, thank you!
Cass

The game itself is in a different location than your mods, saved sims, save games, etc. You shouldn't have to move anything. The installation would have created the Electronic Arts folder for you in My Documents (Start button => This PC => Documents). Check when you can, and ask again if you can't find it

Here is the tutorial I personally used to get TS3 to recognize my card, just in case you find it clearer than the other one. The steps are the same, though: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game
Site Helper
#14 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 5:36 PM
If you can't find an Electronic Arts folder in Documents under Windows 10, look in the One Drive folder.
If it's there, it belongs in Documents. This thread was discussing that issue.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 8:16 PM Last edited by caccigirl : 8th Jul 2016 at 8:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
If you can't find an Electronic Arts folder in Documents under Windows 10, look in the One Drive folder.
If it's there, it belongs in Documents. This thread was discussing that issue.

It seems that my EA folder is only listed under Program Files, it's not in OneDrive or MyDocuments. Thoughts on what the deal is/what I should do? :/

edit:
Note that I'm running Windows 10. Should my EA folders have installed/been placed in My Documents by default?

edit 2:
I've done a good deal of searching, and my Electronic Arts folder is located: This PC>OS (C>Program Files(86x) . Within the Electronic Arts folder, there are folders for my base game as well as all installed expansions.

Going into This PC>Documents , the only folder listed is for a program, Sonic Studio, which came pre-installed with the computer.

And then, looking into One Drive, there is Documents, which is empty, Email Attachments, which has a few photos that were attached in emails received by the email I have synced with One Drive, then there's Pictures, which has one folder titled Screenshots, which is also empty, and lastly, Getting Started With One Drive, which is a PDF on the basics of how to use One Drive. No EA folder to be found anywhere.
Instructor
#16 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 8:51 PM
It seems that my EA folder is only listed under Program Files, it's not in OneDrive or MyDocuments. Thoughts on what the deal is/what I should do? :/

edit:
Note that I'm running Windows 10. Should my EA folders have installed/been placed in My Documents by default?

that means you haven't run TS3 even once after you completed your installation, once you run it just to go as far as the TS3 main menu and exit, TS3 will create your TS3 Docs folder, it will be located in your C:\Users\YourName\Documents\ElectronicArts\TheSims3\...

Note; if you confused about when to get recognized your gpu by TS3, every time you patch or re-patch your TS3 with SuperPatch 1.67, your GraphicCard.sgr file will be replaced with a new one from the latest patch, therefore only get your gpu recognized by TS3 when you're done patching.., if you do them before patching, it will be replaced with default GraphicCard.sgr file from patch 1.67
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 9:01 PM Last edited by caccigirl : 8th Jul 2016 at 9:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
that means you haven't run TS3 even once after you completed your installation, once you run it just to go as far as the TS3 main menu and exit, TS3 will create your TS3 Docs folder, it will be located in your C:\Users\YourName\Documents\ElectronicArts\TheSims3\...

Note; if you confused about when to get recognized your gpu by TS3, every time you patch or re-patch your TS3 with SuperPatch 1.67, your GraphicCard.sgr file will be replaced with a new one from the latest patch, therefore only get your gpu recognized by TS3 when you're done patching.., if you do them before patching, it will be replaced with default GraphicCard.sgr file from patch 1.67

I just finished searching through all of my files and folders (see the edit I added to my last response), and you're telling me...all I had to do was one the game once? Then it should show up under My Documents?

Please excuse me while I ram my head into a brick wall and call myself a moron. Also, everyone in this thread deserves some sort of award for having the patience to deal with me and my cluelessness.

Well, I guess I'll be right back. Going to run TS3 and then hope things start showing up where they should be. /hopeful

EDIT:
AAAAND THERE IT IS.
I now have my EA folder under My Documents. Again, I am a moron. It somehow has taken me 3 days to get to this point.

I will now begin the process of getting TS3 to recognize my GPU, as I believe that's the next step...? (correct me if I'm wrong). I will post if I get stuck...because knowing me, I will.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 9:32 PM
I'm only going to help with the GPU b/c I think other people are much more knowledgeable on other areas, such as setting up your mod folder.

Task 1:
1) Run the game once. It is ok. Once it goes to the game menu, just quit and don't play the game.
2) In the Sims 3 user folder, open the file "deviceconfig" with a notepad. It will show you the GPU is not recognized and whether or not the texture memory is working or not. If it says "32MB override," it is not working.

3) Follow the tutorial to fix the GPU issues: Link
4) Confirm by looking at the deviceconfig file, see it is fixed.

--- This fixes GPU recognition and/or texture memory issues

Task 2:
1) In your Nvidia Control Panel, Look for the Sims 3 profile (TS3W.EXE)
2) Force "vsync on" and turn on "triple buffering"
3) Save and close Nvidia Control Panel
4) Google and download "Nvidia Inspector"
5) Nvidia Inspector will have 2 programs. One is called "Profile Editor" Open it and find the Sims 3 profile. Look for FPS limiter and set it to 60 FPS like this screenshot:

6) Save and close Nvidia Inspector

--- This fixes GPU FPS/Vsync controls

Now the game is ready for a test run. Run the game. Pick a world. Choose a household. Play around and have fun. Make sure there are no crashes, no problems. Take note at any lags or pulses etc... Play for 30 mins... an hr, etc... Use ctrl+shift+c and type "fps on" then you can see the fps on the corner. Make sure it is 60 and under.

When you are satisfied with the test run, you are now ready to move on to other things. When you get to this point, then post back and report it and we'll help you with the other steps. I don't want to list them yet and overwhelm you. For now, just focus on the two tasks above.

I just want to verify that I'm following the correct directions. Following the tutorial from this link: (http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post4782510, should I be starting at the very beginning of the tutorial with step 1, or should I start under where it says Only For People With Texture Memory Override Error?

I started with step 1, and then when I got to the part about replacing '0x0fd1' with '0x13c2', I saw the part about 13c2 only being for that specific graphics card used as an example. So I opened deviceconfig according to directions under step 8, and if I'm doing this correctly, the device # I should be using instead of 13c2 is 1619.

So I suppose my question is, do I go ahead and replace 0x0ffd1 with 0x1619, since that is the device # for my graphics card? And also, after that, do I continue with step 5, titled 'Only For People With Texture Memory Override Error'?

Thank you in advance. I send you all of my appreciation.

edit:
also, is there a download link for Nvidia Inspector you could provide me with, for when it's time to move on to the second part of your post? Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 9:45 PM Last edited by AndreaJEP : 8th Jul 2016 at 9:53 PM. Reason: added link
Start from the beginning.

Quote:
So I suppose my question is, do I go ahead and replace 0x0ffd1 with 0x1619, since that is the device # for my graphics card?

That is correct.

If you are not getting the texture memory override error, then skip those steps.

Edit: download link: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details...r-download.html

Even though this wasn't my thread, I want to thank everyon who recommended this program. While I tend to play huge worlds and, as a result, don't get super high framerates, I'm going to go ahead and get this program set up anyway. I didn't know the game could fry my GPU!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 9:53 PM
Start from the beginning.

That is correct.

If you are not getting the texture memory override error, then skip those steps.

How would I know if I got the texture memory override error? I ran the game just once, just to the main screen, to get the EA folders to appear in My Documents. I know for sure there was a popup letting me know my graphics card wasn't recognized and that my settings were being set to the highest settings because of that, but I can't recall if it said anything about texture memory.

edit:
waaaiiit, hold up. I'm re-reading through Nitromon's post, and according to it, if I have a line that reads 'Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>' in deviceconfig, it indicates that the texture memory is not working. So, since I DO have said line, I'm going to assume I should continue with step 5 and on?
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 9:54 PM
How would I know if I got the texture memory override error? I ran the game just once, just to the main screen, to get the EA folders to appear in My Documents. I know for sure there was a popup letting me know my graphics card wasn't recognized and that my settings were being set to the highest settings because of that, but I can't recall if it said anything about texture memory.

Just want to direct you back to my previous post. I added a download link for Nvidia Inspector

It would tell you if you got that error, I would think. Don't worry about that part yet. You can always follow those steps later if they become necessary.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 9:59 PM
Just want to direct you back to my previous post. I added a download link for Nvidia Inspector

It would tell you if you got that error, I would think. Don't worry about that part yet. You can always follow those steps later if they become necessary.

If you wouldn't mind re-reading through the edit I added to my previous response, could you tell me if my thinking seems correct? I'd certainly appreciate a second pair of eyes/someone to verify that I'm making sense of this correctly.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:07 PM
Yes, I agree you are reading the instructions correctly if you are seeing that in your deviceconfig, so you will need to fix the texture memory part as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:10 PM
Also, another quick question, this time ref: step 4 from this tutorial (http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post4782510) on getting TS3 to recognize my GPU...

I have opened graphicscards.sgr in Notepad, replaced the specific part that needed to be replaced to fix the issue, gone through steps 1-3, etc etc etc. Here's where i'm stuck: Step 4 says to Save and close Notepad. There is no simple Save option for me...when I select Save, it wants to know where I want to save it. Should I be saving it over/replacing the original graphicscards.sgr file, or...?
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:17 PM
You can save it to your desktop and then move it into the correct folder, but ultimately, yes, you want to replace the original one. You may want to save a copy of the original someplace just in case, though.
Page 1 of 4