Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 2:23 PM Last edited by SimsMatthew : 31st Jul 2015 at 1:43 PM.
Seven Sisters - Inspired by Real-life Counterpart
Hello everyone, so this is my first time making worlds, and I hope to look for some feedback / keep progress of what I'm doing for this project. In case anyone doesn't know where / what Seven Sisters is, here is the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sisters,_Sussex

After my trip to Brighton I've found Seven Sisters a really breathtaking place, and hence my inspirations. Note that my project is only loosely based on it, ie it doesn't include all seven cliffs, it's merely a representation of the British white chalk cliffs, with the name "borrowed" only.

I used World Machine for the first time, and afterwards went some tweaks through hand-sculpting, which was the most painful part. Right now it is not painted, but you get the idea. Aside from the terrain, nothing much is being done yet. it is a 1024 x 1024 world, as I wanted one that has enough space to work on (after all there's not much I want to do, the landscape is what matters most), while keeping the memory usage down to avoid lags. It is also intended to be a vacation world for use with NRaas Traveller, rather than a live-in world.

The feedback I'm looking for goes below:
1. [del]Link / source to some good ruins (it can be CC or you can suggest some pieces from EPs to work with), as I plan to integrate several elements of Brighton into the world (not the city part, I want to put a Lewes Priory Park-esque lot into the world, and a (ruined) castle.[/del]

2. INI for water and sky colour (I don't plan to and have no skills to make my own)

3. Since I want to put in some tombs (so as to make visiting the world actually purposeful but not just allow me to see the scenery ), what do you think are good stories / scenario for the tombs? Just a simple backstory, no frills. And since I can do some scripting, I'm thinking of doing a unique tomb object for this world so that I can increase the uniqueness of the world. Right now I'm thinking of doing, like, a "Rock of the Seven Sisters" collectible stuff. What do you think, guys?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 1:43 AM
Now I think of Eric Johnson's White cliffs of Dover.

Anywhore, to me, it appears good in a structural way. I'm just wondering, are there going to be Sims living here?
(Sorry for any Grammatical errors, I tend to be write-y when I'm tired.)

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 3:00 AM
The detailed landscape is really World Machine's effort, but the problem is with too-creased hilltop. I need to smoothen it quite a bit, and I need to handsculpt the ups and downs of Seven Sisters cliff. Tends to turn out that it is often too steep.

Yes there will be Sims but not prepopulated, actually this should work as a simple world (think of Amberville / Wonderland, or Fharhond Glacier) But the population should be sparse as it's countryside. BTW Can you suggest some DT to recolour or are there custom DT makers out there?
Alchemist
#4 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 2:48 PM
I don't know anything about DT or recolouring, nor about routing, so I'm completely useless there. But I'm sure a simple hillside DT will do.

I think @Nilxis and @jje1000 can help.

#5 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 10:33 AM Last edited by SimsMatthew : 1st Aug 2015 at 11:00 AM.
I guess no ones pays attention to this if I don't post "proper" photos of my work, right? And people aren't very interested in Seven Sisters are they? Never mind, I'll still post just in case. Here are the updates:
- Finished Terrain Sculpting and hand painting finished, was quite effort-requiring but still worthy (and surprisingly easy and fun). Using the Lazy Terrain Painting Tutorial here doesn't quite work, probably due to the fact that I'm using GIMP but not Photoshop.
- Lot placement done.
- Road layout to be done.
- DT placed. Kudos to the work here offered generously (http://createaworldblog.tumblr.com/page/13), very useful. I recoloured it and also some terrain paints.
- Routing data now works as I do the work, I think you need lots placed and more parts of the world done for the data to generate properly.

There is one question though: should I put non-routable paint on roads that lead into the distant? And the sea? I do have IP.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsMatthew
I guess no ones pays attention to this if I don't post "proper" photos of my work, right? And people aren't very interested in Seven Sisters are they? Never mind, I'll still post just in case. Here are the updates:
- Finished Terrain Sculpting and hand painting finished, was quite effort-requiring but still worthy (and surprisingly easy and fun). Using the Lazy Terrain Painting Tutorial here doesn't quite work, probably due to the fact that I'm using GIMP but not Photoshop.
- Lot placement done.
- Road layout to be done.
- DT placed. Kudos to the work here offered generously (http://createaworldblog.tumblr.com/page/13), very useful. I recoloured it and also some terrain paints.
- Routing data now works as I do the work, I think you need lots placed and more parts of the world done for the data to generate properly.

There is one question though: should I put non-routable paint on roads that lead into the distant? And the sea? I do have IP.

Well, it's the summer holidays for many, so forums on the internet are usually very slow during that time But it looks nice, I enjoy all the rural worlds that are coming out, especially rural England.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 10:59 AM
@baskerwil Thanks I just tend to go mad when I feel like my things are ignored. Please bear with me. I know I'm immature
Field Researcher
#8 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 11:24 AM Last edited by Nilxis : 1st Aug 2015 at 11:35 AM.
Hi, I really like how this is turning out! Looks like a very original project and it looks great already

If you're looking for ruins I suggest to use some of the objects from WA, the ones from Egypt and China in particular. Also, you can simulate ruined walls modifying their height and shape with cfe

About INI files, I have some in my blog here, but maybe they're too sunny for an English world. You can also check out Brntwaffles' lightning mods or import the INIs from EA worlds, get them here

About routing data, as you place more things it will get more detailed. You don't have to put non-routable paint in the sea, but I think you should add it along the area where the DT meets the terrain, and also on the cliffs. (will you add a path going down them?)

Good luck with this world, I can't wait to see more!

Find all my creations here:
My blog: Nilxis Designs // My Tumblr page: http://nilxis.tumblr.com
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 1:39 PM
As for roads, I'd suggest plain asphalt without markings, and an invisible sidewalk to get a real rural feeling.

#10 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 2:01 PM
I have used the road from Wales, also on the same website as Ocean View. Only the sidewalk is not done. There will only be a road leading uphill to Castle and sidewalks to different distant lots.

I am thinking of scripting a "Jump off cliff" interaction which can be used to suicide, but more importantly, to jump down to a cliffside lot (and the interaction has check for certain conditions to make successful chance higher)

EDIT: IT SOUNDS STUPID I KNOW

Or should I do a path like Nilxis suggested? (Though there is a problem: in RL the cliffbottom beach is reached by going down the cliffs at a path by the side of the cliff as the cliff descends into flat ground, but not straight down the cliff exactly. However the terrain for the project is probably set, due to the size being too small for sculpting the RL slope and the DT)
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Aug 2015 at 3:07 PM
Hi guys Quick update:
- Finished road placement (Question: when I zoom out a very small section seem to partly disappear, even after deleting and rebuilding, and road grading. And grading does cause the terrain along road to become "cliff-ish". Fixed with smoothing terrain but I don't know if it affects road. )
- Lot placement done.
- INI missing, and landscaping to be done very soon.

I suppose this small-to-medium sized project will be ended soon. What is left is building.
As for the INI, when I review the photos I've taken, the sky there is actually very blue and clear, so I bet Nilxis's INIs could do well. I don't know if there's a nighttime sky that looks like this: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5209/...71d4f2bb2_b.jpg (not with the shooting stars, I refer to the sky colour palette, and the overcast could potentially look like this: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...560_964x544.jpg

I would honestly need you to think, if you have seen similar INIs, and where I can find them. It doesn't have to be a perfect match, just similar results

Until then, bye
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 6:45 AM
Ooops forgot the photos
Screenshots
Alchemist
#13 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 4:48 PM
Looks good so far. Is that snow paint?

#14 Old 5th Aug 2015 at 4:08 AM
No that is the paint from Dragon Valley, I think users don't need to have it installed, will that violate the no-free-store-stuff policy? 'Cause I think it's freely available here as CAW resource.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 3:06 PM
Hi guys, nothing much specific for this world, but do you guys think it is a good idea to build an elevator (locked behind a door with switches needed to be fixed so as to "fix the old elevator") to get to the bottom of the cliff?
Field Researcher
#16 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 10:42 PM
I like how this is turning out
I would add another texture for the cliffs though, a light grey one to highlight the details of the terrain, especially in the lower parts.

And about the elevator idea, It sounds good but I don't know if that would create problems with NPCs... Are the lots down the cliff public? If you block the routing all along the cliffs so this is the only way to go to the bottom it might work

Find all my creations here:
My blog: Nilxis Designs // My Tumblr page: http://nilxis.tumblr.com
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 3:40 AM
Yeah I guess I will make a lot containing both the clifftop and cliffbottom areas which will be No Visitors Allowed, and then build the elevator on it.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the highlighting of the cliff