Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 4:00 PM
Americans are always confused when British people are talking and vice versa, I wouldn't worry about that.

Is that all the pictures? Because I wouldn't download anything without a floor plan shot.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 4:05 PM
I personally don't see the big deal about referring to the floors as you normally would. I know we Mericans like to mess English up, but it's not hard to see what you mean by "ground floor" and "first floor". After all, your spelling is UK and there's no need to clarify that or spell like an American.

But if you're worried about it, then maxon's suggestion seems pretty diplomatic.

--ninja'd by Peni, who is more succinct.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#53 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 4:44 PM
That's a good write up Andrew. I would leave out the paragraph referring to levels/first floor etc. And I would give the house a nice title rather than 'Starter lot no CC'! You can put No CC, BG in the title if you want to, but I don't think it's entirely necessary but I would put it in your first paragraph
And please don't use ingame camera images - they are far too small

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#54 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 6:14 PM
Maxon, Thanks for the suggestion. I've changed all the mentions of "1st" in the captions to "Upper", and removed that paragraph. "Ground floor" and "Upper floor" should be clear enough to everyone. (I had already done that before I saw the new posts from Peni, SleepyTabby and KarenLorraine.)

I love your new avatar. :lovestruc It looks like a 1950s railway poster for holidays in Cornwall. I wonder where you change for Polgannon.

Jo, the proposed title for the download is: Bijou Family Living: 3 Bedroom 2 Storey Base Game House on a 1x2 lot

I'm trying to combine a catchy title with enough information to tell people what they're getting. It's a bit wordy already, but could I change it to "Bijou Family Living: 3 Bedroom 2 Storey Base Game Starter Family House on a 1x2 lot - CC free"? Or is that too long?

My summary text is "2 storey house on 1x2 lot. 3BR, 2BA, nursery and balcony. Furnished. Base Game compatible and CC-free. Under §20K", which says about everything, but I think the only place it shows up is if you click on the More Info button in the download category results in Bootstrap mode.

The search tags I'm proposing are #contemporary, #modern, #tiny, #small, #bijou, #base game, #no custom content, #starter, #cheap, #low price, #sub §20K, #family house

All told I'm rather pleased with how much we've managed to get into this houses at the price, on such a small lot, needing only base game and without CC. My Sims seen happy enough living in it, and to me it feels surprisingly spacious inside. (You tried it Jo; I wonder how you found it.) I think I'll mention that in my first paragraph, as to me the house doesn't feel at all claustrophobic. (I cannot imagine why some Sims think they need a 5x5 lot to live on! . . .Unless they're running a farm or some huge home business!)

There are a lot more pictures Peni, 21 in all. All the pictures included on my posts #30 and #32 will be uploaded. All the main pictures are taken with FRAPS in my main game at 1024 x 768 resolution, my maximum screenwidth. I've only used in-game pictures, taken at 600 x 450 resolution in my AGS base game, for additional interior views of the rooms (with walls up), to let people see the house as their Sims would see it. I hope in-game pictures will be OK for them. Even using FRAPS, 800 x 600 would be the best I could do with them as that's the resolution my AGS game runs at.

At this stage I'm no longer making changes to the house, but only tweaking the upload text. So, all being well, I think I'll upload it to the queue later tonight.

Once again, many thanks for all your helpful comments.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#55 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 11:11 PM
I think the house is quite spacious Andrew. It's all to do with lay out and flow which is something I always aim for. I feel quite the expert at having 4person sim family live in 1 by 1 houses so anything larger is easy for me. That said I have also downloaded some larger lots which don't feel spacious at all. Awkward angles, too wide hallways, too narrow balconies. On one of those I had to make the 1 tile wide balcony 2 tiles wide just to find a place for a chess set.

The one thing I would immediately change if I were using the house would be to grab that downstairs bathroom door and move it around the corner so it's facing the kitchen and move over the table and chair to be near the stairs. But people can certainly do that for themselves, I just don't like seeing a diner area out in the middle.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#56 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 11:23 PM
I think the title is too long, see how much of a title shows on the download page. Once downloaders have opened up your download they can read the description. I would just stick to 'Bijou Family Living'.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#57 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 1:52 AM
I've finally submitted it to the queue! I settled on "Bijou Family Living (BG - No CC)" for the title. I reckon that should all show on the download page. Now just to wait and see what happens.

And, once again, thanks everybody for your help!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#58 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 2:03 AM
Hope to see your name in orange really soon Andrew.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#59 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:24 PM
Looking forward
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#60 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Hope to see your name in orange really soon Andrew.
Ta Da!

It's been accepted - Thanks KarenLorraine!

And thank you everyone for your help! I couldn't have done it without you!

Now I suppose I ought to delete this thread, but there's some very helpful advice in it that I don't want to lose. I'll leave it up for a few days yet while I think what to do. I must leave it up for long enough for you all to read this post anyway.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Page 3 of 3