Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:54 AM
Default NPC Default Replacement files - advice
As I've been making Polgannon, I decided that I wanted Constable Warne

to go to work in his lovely outfit (it's an adaptation of a skin from here:
http://disemporium.dreamwidth.org/9716.html)

So I tried making a default replacement for the cop uniform (and it works!!) using this tutorial here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...5#startcomments

That's all fine but what I wanted to ask is, is that the most finessed version of making NPC/work uniforms that we have? The issue is that the files I have produced are rather large and I have a thing about keeping downloaded cc as small as possible. The files are large - or at least the texture file is large - because of all the textures in it. I've compressorised those but it's still well over a MB (files attached if anyone wants to have a look).

I had thought that you could just do a default replacement by using references to the relevant cc files and thus the actual default replacement file should be small. Looking at the defaults I have from others, their files are much smaller. Looking inside with SimPE, the lifo resources are missing and there's no mesh at all in some (though this is where the default is the texture only, using the in game mesh, so that's expected).

The mesh comes out at 200kb or so (though it is only the adult male mesh atm - and therefore not really usable in game) but the texture file is 1300kb which I feel is too large. Does anyone know if I can do this in a better way and strip out some of those size-boosting textures?

Also, can I lump all the elements into one package file - the mesh and textures together or do I need to have a separate mesh file and a separate texture file?

Thanks for any advice.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  max_PoliceUniformDEFAULT.zip (377.1 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Also, can I lump all the elements into one package file

Yes, you can. Replacing the LIFOs is unnecessary, just the txtr/s will work fine.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 1:58 PM Last edited by maxon : 24th Jul 2014 at 4:20 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Slig
Yes, you can. Replacing the LIFOs is unnecessary, just the txtr/s will work fine.

Right well, that corresponds with the files I have from elsewhere so I'll try deleting them and test out the results. Thanks.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc