Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2017 at 2:35 AM
How do I unstretch walls resulted from ConstrainFloorElevation?
Here's the scenario I'm having a problem with... A lot of houses that I download that look quite nice (mostly small castles), for some reason the authors have decided that the houses must be on top of a mountain. I don't want that since my intention was a sort of nectar making plantation sort of dealio going on behind the castle. So I set constrainfloorelevation to false and then flatten the lot. Now I have the problem that the walls of the first floor are stretched to the equivalent of about 5 stories high. That's no good.

I saw in some video that if that happens to the foundation you can place a new bit of foundation next to it and level the terrain and it'll fix it. But the same doesn't appear to be true for walls.

Here's some visuals of what I'm talking about...
Before flattening... http://i.imgur.com/4O0tg3J.jpg
After flattening... http://i.imgur.com/flTSKHo.jpg

What I'm going for is essentially how the house is in the before image, but flat on the ground.

Is there some way to do what I'm trying to do?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 12th May 2017 at 9:44 AM
You just make a pillar with walls and foundation accordingly and drag the terrain tool from it and strait across. Just make sure you are on the right floor.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th May 2017 at 12:22 PM
Uh...where'd you download that house?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th May 2017 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
You just make a pillar with walls and foundation accordingly and drag the terrain tool from it and strait across. Just make sure you are on the right floor.

Could you explain a bit more thoroughly, like you're talking to someone that barely has any idea what they're doing? xD

So I build a pillar... inside the house? Or... outside the house? And it has to be on a foundation? The house itself doesn't have a foundation, I don't think. What's the deal with walls? How does one make a pillar with walls? You mean build like a little square wall around the pillar?

Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Uh...where'd you download that house?

That one? Uhh... I think it's called Montshade Manor. So here, I think: https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...nor/id/1200859/

I removed all the stairs and a lot of the surrounding stuff before trying to flatten it. I wasn't sure what the stairs would do but I was fairly certain it wasn't anything good.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 12th May 2017 at 6:26 PM Last edited by Vincent T. : 12th May 2017 at 6:40 PM.
Flatten a spot somewhere to the height level you wish it to have. Then put a wall, doesn't need to be long. Place floor tiles on top. Add another storey, place floor tiles on top, add another until you have all five storeys we can have.

Now you can use cfe to lower each floor of the castle to the floor height it would have on the flattened ground (as set by your "pillar" of wall pieces). Hope this makes it more clear.

Alternatively you can try the SetImportedTerrainOffset cheat. It doesn't always work though, depending on how the lot was build. With testingcheatsenabled true, enter the cheat with a high negative number (subject to trial and error): SetImportedTerrainOffset -20
Now try to place the castle lot from the bin on an empty lot. You will see if it is placed "too deep", i.e. with a gap. This is how it looks with a flat lot at -20:

Now you will need to find the value to enter with the cheat that lowers the castle as good as possible to the height of the surrounding terrain. Place the lot, don't forget to disable the cheat again (SetImportedTerrainOffset 0). Now you can edit the lot in build mode and try to smooth the terrain to fill the gap. It helps if you place the castle on a slightly bigger empty lot so that you have even terrain to work with.

If placement of the castle looks the same with no cheat and -20, then I'm sorry, it won't work with this lot.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#6 Old 12th May 2017 at 8:38 PM
You just need the walls and foundation as a measure for the height they should be. A walls is 16 clicks height, you just need to get your castles walls to that Level. The foundation level is just if you have a foundation. If you don't then skip it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th May 2017 at 12:36 AM Last edited by Tiffy : 13th May 2017 at 12:49 AM.
Well, that first method mostly fixed it, with some caveats. The last level was still super stretched up to the roof, but I was able to delete then undo on the roof pieces to fix that. Literally everything in the house, windows and doors included, were floating. I had to either delete and undo or grab and esc everything to get it to pop back into place. The remaining 3 problems though, I can't figure out how to deal with...

There are two floating staircases, which I can't seem to delete (cursor doesn't even change when hovering over them). There are a lot of little floating grey triangles and I'm not sure how to get rid of those, either. Some of the ground that was painted with some sort of stone also appears uneraseable. Not sure what to do about that.

Here's an image to show what I mean.

edit: Well, saving the house to library then plopping it back seems to have fixed the staircases and floating grey triangles. Not sure about that rock textured ground though. I can't even paint a different texture over it, it persists.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 14th May 2017 at 4:50 AM
Those texture remnants are a result of changing the terrain elevation. I am not sure if they can be removed. You may have to do some clever blending of terrain paints and placement of landscaping to camouflage them. This is the correct forum for build questions, but your final question, about the rock remnants, might get answered by posing it in the TS3 general forum, where more eyes will see it. Good luck!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo