Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 5:54 AM
Default If I remove all my package files from my game, will this stop it from crashing?
Hi there!

In the sims 3 I like to make a lot of horses with heavy CC and I noticed my game is crashing a lot, so I removed most of my CC but it still crashes!

If I remove all my package files, mods and installed content/downloads, will this stop it from crashing?

Thanks
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 8:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
if you have script mods, delete the scriptcache too

scriptCache.package?

That was already there when I downloaded the game.
Will it work if I just move it out?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zazzyzooo
scriptCache.package?

That was already there when I downloaded the game.
Will it work if I just move it out?

I moved it out but my game still crashes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Have you tried the 50/50 method to find the problematic CC? Outdated mods can also cause crashing.

no... whats that?
Site Helper
#7 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 4:44 PM
Also regarding the 50/50 method: I test any "must have" things first. (And remember that some mods require the presence of others, so they must always be kept together while testing.)
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Custom_Content shows an explanation in detail on how to work the 50/50 method. (Also called a binary search.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Theorist
#8 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 5:07 PM
Could also be the RAM or the size of the town youre using.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:35 PM
Get it while it's hot... not going to be there much longer
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/General%20Issues%20FAQ
Hey, NRAAS guys! Where are you moving to?

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Hey, NRAAS guys! Where are you moving to?

If I gave you the new site's address before it was ready to be used, there would be complaints about that too. The impending shutdown does not affect us until October (for the hundredth time or so). Could we kindly stop with the incessant nagging on unrelated threads about the impending NRaas move? Just like with the mods, it will be ready when it's ready. Thanks.

The OP on this thread is playing the Mac version of the game on a system with unknown specs because they won't tell us what they are even though they have been asked to do so multiple times. I suspect something or some combination of things they are throwing at their game is now overloading the 2 GB RAM limit and they possibly are not purging (resetting) RAM on a regular basis as is practically required on TS3 for Mac even under more typical circumstances. We have no idea which exact model Mac they have nor if they have a dedicated GPU.

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-pl...sims-3-on-a-mac
https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 8:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Could also be the RAM or the size of the town youre using.

I was using sunset valley
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 8:50 AM
I removed all my cc, all my package files, all my mods, EVERYTHING. But my game still crashes. And as igazor said I have been asked multiple times about my computer model, I have also answered multiple times with the same answer, I use a early 2015 MacBook air, I am using macOS Sierra.
The processor is a 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 and the graphics are Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 10:42 AM
You may indeed have posted that info somewhere here, but it wasn't on a thread I have ever read or tried to assist with. Guess I got lost somewhere in between your switching over from a MacBook Pro running Mavericks (with specs unknown to us) to a MacBook Air running Sierra a while back.

But if I had been participating on such a thread, I would have been very quick to point out that MacBook Airs are not meant for gaming and TS3 in particular does not like them. The graphics chip is not compatible, the cooling system is inadequate, this kind of program is just not what Airs are made for and pushing it too hard on them presents the risk of damaging the device beyond repair. I would have to say you have been fortunate to run TS3 on that one and take it as far as you have, but it can never really be expected to perform well with TS3 and anything more than perhaps the base game and maybe one or two of the earliest EPs (even those are iffy) on all lowest settings in Game Options. Even with that, most players who try on Airs find that the game just will not run for them or not for more than some very short sessions at a time.

Earlier models will not run the game at all for anyone as their processors were too weak, you have one that is known to run the base game but only just barely and not consistently for everyone. Sorry that I don't have a more encouraging answer than that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
You may indeed have posted that info somewhere here, but it wasn't on a thread I have ever read or tried to assist with. Guess I got lost somewhere in between your switching over from a MacBook Pro running Mavericks (with specs unknown to us) to a MacBook Air running Sierra a while back.

But if I had been participating on such a thread, I would have been very quick to point out that MacBook Airs are not meant for gaming and TS3 in particular does not like them. The graphics chip is not compatible, the cooling system is inadequate, this kind of program is just not what Airs are made for and pushing it too hard on them presents the risk of damaging the device beyond repair. I would have to say you have been fortunate to run TS3 on that one and take it as far as you have, but it can never really be expected to perform well with TS3 and anything more than perhaps the base game and maybe one or two of the earliest EPs (even those are iffy) on all lowest settings in Game Options. Even with that, most players who try on Airs find that the game just will not run for them or not for more than some very short sessions at a time.

Earlier models will not run the game at all for anyone as their processors were too weak, you have one that is known to run the base game but only just barely and not consistently for everyone. Sorry that I don't have a more encouraging answer than that.

Thanks that was actually really helpful. The MacBook Pro is actually a friends, and she wants to use it more for work, so I don't use it much anymore. The Air is mine.

Thank you for telling me that TS3 can be harmful to Airs. But how is TS4? Is it also harmful to Airs?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zazzyzooo
Thanks that was actually really helpful. The MacBook Pro is actually a friends, and she wants to use it more for work, so I don't use it much anymore. The Air is mine.

Thank you for telling me that TS3 can be harmful to Airs. But how is TS4? Is it also harmful to Airs?

That's a good question. TS4 is more processor than graphics card intensive although some of its EPs can take a pretty heavy toll as well, but the processor you have on that Air is stronger than most in the series. And TS4 for Mac is a MUCH better made and more stable program than TS3 for Mac ever was (whether the game is enough fun to play is of course a different matter and up to individual tastes). I think this might be a case by case basis kind of thing. Would still be concerned about cooling though and would expect the fans to ramp up to super high gear on a pretty regular basis. Certainly attempt to keep the device elevated while playing if possible, in a well ventilated room; on a cooling pad meant for laptops would be even better.

But those on the TS4 section here or the TS4 Mac board on the EA forums might be able to provide a better informed answer, certainly many have tried to play TS4 on that model by now.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 2:16 PM
If I gave you the new site's address before it was ready to be used, there would be complaints about that too. The impending shutdown does not affect us until October (for the hundredth time or so). Could we kindly stop with the incessant nagging on unrelated threads about the impending NRaas move? Just like with the mods, it will be ready when it's ready. Thanks.

If everyone asks, it's because there's a banner across the page that says "you're dead".
Okay, got it: that's not an banner put up by NRAAS but by the site owner and it's wrong.
How about putting up something on the NRAAS website saying "I'm getting better! I feel fine!"
Not really nagging, more like alarm and panic.

Sims are better than us.
Site Helper
#17 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 4:51 PM
There is that big red notation on the sidebar that you see on every page. Do they need to make it even bigger?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 5:51 PM
We're having severe server-side issues with the new site that the rest of you cannot see yet and may need to find a new data host. Fortunately we have plenty of time to figure out what to do and devise a Plan B if needed. The entire existing Wikispaces wiki fell apart on us overnight (member services and logins, not the mods or the documentation pages), this is mostly fixed now thankfully and hopefully most of our users didn't experience any pain, but there's a message board post up about that too. When we say, "It's business as usual at NRaas," it's because we would rather players concentrate on their games and come to us with their mod issues and questions. Not worry about the infrastructure.

And again, none of this is on-topic for this thread.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 4:43 AM
That's a good question. TS4 is more processor than graphics card intensive although some of its EPs can take a pretty heavy toll as well, but the processor you have on that Air is stronger than most in the series. And TS4 for Mac is a MUCH better made and more stable program than TS3 for Mac ever was (whether the game is enough fun to play is of course a different matter and up to individual tastes). I think this might be a case by case basis kind of thing. Would still be concerned about cooling though and would expect the fans to ramp up to super high gear on a pretty regular basis. Certainly attempt to keep the device elevated while playing if possible, in a well ventilated room; on a cooling pad meant for laptops would be even better.

But those on the TS4 section here or the TS4 Mac board on the EA forums might be able to provide a better informed answer, certainly many have tried to play TS4 on that model by now.

Thank you very much. I was considering uninstalling TS3 anyways, I got a pretty good play out of it and I started playing TS4 more often. I will ask on the TS4 section here.

Thanks again.