Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 3:22 AM
Default "Cold Feet" with my neighborhoods
Every time I play my neighborhoods I cannot stay on them for long. I always reset them. It is like a bad habit. Do you have any suggestions to help me stay in my neighborhoods? (Sorry if this belongs in help)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 3:35 AM
It's not a technical problem so no, it doesn't.

The thing to ask yourself is, why is this a problem? If the way you enjoy playing is resetting them all the time, go for it. Some kids like to knock down their block houses as much as they like building them up, and there's nothing wrong with that. If the problem is that you feel like there's something wrong with the way you enjoy playing - I promise, it's not. You have permission from the universe to enjoy this game any way you enjoy it.

If you don't enjoy it, ask youself why, then, you keep resetting them. Do you feel like there's some ideal state you're "supposed" to achieve and that there's something "wrong" with the way you're currently playing? There isn't, see above. Do the characters not engage you? Do you get impatient because things look wrong? Do you keep having Better Ideas? Are you the sort of person who moves restlessly from project to project in other endeavors?

You can't help yourself till you define your problem.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 3:47 AM
Sometimes, setting a goal can be helpful. If you set your mind to do something (say, get at least 300 Sims in your hood without any townies, starting with only 8 CAS Sims)(*hint hint wink wink*) you'll be motivated to go in a direction that has the shining light on it. Basically, a "Polaris" - a fixed point that you can head towards. This can help players that don't really play well with the sandbox nature of The Sims but still like being in control.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 3:56 AM
I found out why I always reset. I forgot that I am in control and I can do whatever I want to do!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 6:03 AM
There are many things you can do with your neighborhoods. The game leaves it open ended up to you.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 6:36 AM
In my neighborhoods I only have two or three main families (excluding relatives) that I maintain. The rest of the nameless townies just float around until they serve some kind of purpose. I usually start killing them off when my great great great grandson is friends with the guy my original sim used to go drinking with
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 9:56 AM
Maybe if you feel the neighbourhoods that came with the game are too 'controlling' (i.e. you feel you have to follow the set stories rather than make your own), maybe it's time to make your own custom neighbourhood.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 12:27 PM
I truly understand. This has been long-standing problem with me, I cannot focus on one neighbourhood for a long time. I have figured that creating some interesting stories and following them through helps me a lot. I tend to pick up an interesting storyline from some Tv show or a book and try to centre the plot around it. It really helps when you have a set of goals and stories in mind.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Maybe if you feel the neighbourhoods that came with the game are too 'controlling' (i.e. you feel you have to follow the set stories rather than make your own), maybe it's time to make your own custom neighbourhood.

I always wanted to do that! But I never did it for some reason. I even have a backup of what I started.
Scholar
#10 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 4:19 PM
When I find myself wanting to start yet another 'hood, I remind myself that I have many legacy heirs that I can do whatever I want to with. Whether it is getting abducted by aliens, marrying Bigfoot, starting up a new business, etc. Also, adding a new subhood can be genius.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 5:35 PM
I did it AGAIN. I remember when I had fun playing this game. But now its like I cant get a one day rotation done. Its been a year since I had a baby born,a sim married,ect. And I love this game.
Theorist
#12 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 5:48 PM
You know for a fact that you love the game. What do you love about it? Do that, and lots of it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with primarily using the game for building and city planning, If that's what you enjoy. If you like to build a hood and flesh it out with buildings and such, and then play a few sims just long enough to be sure it works, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

What makes you feel bored? Why do you feel that you have to play a certain way? There are no rules to this game -- if you don't like rotations, don't play rotations. If you don't like legacies (I can't stand playing 'em), then don't play them. If you don't like having to decide what your sims do every second of the day, turn free will on. If you don't like that your sims do things you don't want them to, turn free will off. If you don't like "the marriage plot," don't play that way. If you don't like a certain lifestage, use a hack to skip through it. If you like a certain lifestage a lot, use a hack to extend it. If you need to have a goal to play towards, find a challenge and follow the ruleset for that. If you don't like any of the challenges you find, make up your own.

Remember that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time is the definition of insanity. If you keep restarting and you're not sure why, experiment! Try something different each time you restart, and make notes about why you wanted to restart, what was fun, and what wasn't. You are the only person who can figure out what you like and don't like. You are the only person who can figure out what playstyle works for you. All that I (or anyone else) can really tell you is: It's a game/ It's supposed to be fun. If what you're doing is not fun for you, then change what you're doing until it is.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 6:08 PM
And just because you love this game, doesn't mean you have to play it all the time. It's okay to walk away for awhile. Play Dragon Age or Mass Effect or Skyrim. Find a gaming group and play a tabletop RPG. Go for a walk and take along a field guide to birds. Go to the library. Take a bus to a part of town you've never been to. Learn to draw. Learn a language. Make up a language. Fill notebooks full of lists of all the things you love in the world. Binge-watch cartoons. Play again when you feel like playing again; when you have a building you want build or a character you want to play.

Sometimes you just need to sit still and let the well refill.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 10:51 PM
I thought about it and here is a reason I always reset. Rotation. the only think I like about it is aging sync. Is there a way to age neighbors without rotations and opening them?
Theorist
#15 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 10:56 PM
That's quite easy to fix! You can open the houses of other playables and age them up using the Sim Blender, SimManipulator, or other hack of your choice. You'd only have to be in the household for maybe two minutes, tops.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#16 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 10:58 PM
You can open up the houses just long enough to age them with a cheat; or I believe some editors like SimManipulator and SimBlender will allow you to age them while they're on somebody else's lot.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 11:04 PM Last edited by Redtwoface : 8th Jun 2015 at 11:53 PM.
Hmm,Never thought of that! Rotation is not that bad, but its time consuming and im impatient.
Edit: I am going to use Ags Mini game hood and build from that!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 8:43 AM
It's interesting to hear how so many people keep resetting their neighbourhoods. Personally I've never reset a neighbourhood -- I just go on playing them. I get far too attached to my Sims for that. In fact I'm still playing the Sims I created on my first day, and they've become my favourites. If I start to get bored with a family I play a different one. It's possible to have lots of different families with different concerns and aims in the same 'hood. And sometimes I just change to playing another neighbourhood. But after a few days, I come back to Veronaville, because that's where my favourite Sims live.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#20 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 3:20 PM
I don't do rotation. That takes too long for my patience too. I just let them age however they do. If grandma is a childhood friend with the townie girl, doesn't bother me whatsoever.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/