Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 11:03 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Time stops in one household
Hi,

this is a really weird one. The household plays normally until I speed the game up and set the speed back to normal. After that, it will sometimes, but not always, continue normally for a few ingame minutes, then freeze. The sims stop moving, the clock stops ticking. I can still change to Buy Mode, switch speeds (not that it does anything) and I could even save my game if I felt like it. So it's not crashed or anything, time just stops moving.

It's only one household I think, so obviously I could just move the family out and bulldoze the lot. Even if it affects any other lot, I have several recent backups for this neighborhood. I'd like to keep the lot though, and moving a family mid-rotation is something I'd like to avoid, so if anybody has an idea how to fix the lot, I'd be very grateful.

The game is saved at 5:58 AM, nobody is at work, using the phone, etc. There's a hobby popup coming a few ingame minutes after I load the lot (the ones you get when you gain access to the secret lot), in case that does anything. Aside from that, nothing unusual happened the last time I played the family.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 8:07 PM
might follow this process::
1. package lot to file.
2. exit game.
3. open the packaged file with Clean Installer.
4. uncheck all characters then install.
5. run game and load neighborhood.
6. place the newly installed lot.
7. transfer the household to the new lot.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 9:56 PM
Is it enough to remove the characters from a packaged lot to avoid corruption? I've never packaged a played lot before, but going by what I've read here, removing sim references involves a lot more work and the general consensus seems to be to just not do it at all.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 10:20 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 31st Dec 2018 at 11:16 PM.
Could be some kind of mod conflict that only affects certain lots. My guess would be some kind of mod that affects spells (the time spell in particular), or some bug related to custom careers or mods that change community lot time.

The package lot method can leave behind traces of the sims, and won't be properly cleaned out as long as sims have lived on the lot and the furniture is still there. I think there are methods to properly cleaning out sim references with SimPE (but I haven't tried them).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 10:34 PM
Back up your game and do a 50/50. It's almost certainly a mod conflict or a bad piece of CC, and that's the surest method to find out which.
Once you've isolated and removed the culprit, restore your backup and you can play from that point without dealing with all the incidental cosmetic changes that occurred during testing.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
Is it enough to remove the characters from a packaged lot to avoid corruption? I've never packaged a played lot before, but going by what I've read here, removing sim references involves a lot more work and the general consensus seems to be to just not do it at all.

Who is this general consensus?

Removing the sim references is easy.
Just go to my tutorial http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=609188
Download the Lot Adjuster add on by Chris Hatch (Files to be placed in your SimPE folder)
Run the lot adjuster and tick the box on what you want to be removed- the Lot Adjuster does all the work.
Now you have a clean lot.

PS. Do this on an empty lot, not an occupied one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 8:59 AM Last edited by Ovenhole : 1st Jan 2019 at 1:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Could be some kind of mod conflict that only affects certain lots. My guess would be some kind of mod that affects spells (the time spell in particular), or some bug related to custom careers or mods that change community lot time.

Hmm, I recently installed Pandorasims' custom spells, I guess I just didn't suspect them because I've played three households since then without a problem and there aren't even any witches in this one.

I guess I'll try removing them first and if that doesn't work it's 50/50 time.

edit: 50/50 didn't help, I wasn't able to reproduce the bug even with the full Downloads folder. I guess the soft reset fixed it? Unfortunately when I restored my backup, the lot still froze. I guess I could cause a soft reset on purpose?

another edit: I caused a soft reset and it didn't fix the problem, even though that's exactly what worked earlier. I'm out of ideas again.
Scholar
#8 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 4:17 PM
Does the lot freeze up at the same 'game time' each time or is it random?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 5:36 PM
It's random. It actually runs fine until I speed it up, after that it will run for a bit longer and then freeze.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 8:10 PM
Try turning off debug mode and then using the lot debugger to "Force errors.../On all".
Alchemist
#11 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Try turning off debug mode and then using the lot debugger to "Force errors.../On all".
game would likely crash or freeze then.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 9:39 PM
Why would you say that? I've done it before, nothing crashes. And it fixed the problem where everyone was frozen (although the clock was moving forward).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 4:01 PM
That seems to have done the trick, thank you! No crashes and no freezes.