Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 20th May 2019 at 5:37 PM
Just wondering, because it didn't seem to do anything for my game, and I'm unsure if I've set it up properly.

I did use a different variation, a program named "Memory Improve Master", on my stationary. I think it does some of the same, but it's a separate program, and much easier to use (just install, and open before starting the game). It possibly did relieve some of the pink-flashing and memory-related issues I used to have on that computer. It's very old, so I'm not sure if it still works for Win10 since I haven't tried it.

Do you have the game running as admin? Wondering if that can make a difference (and if it too interferes with the 4GB fix, like comp mode does).
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 21st May 2019 at 12:18 AM
I believe the memory allocation is just for the issue of sudden crashes due to memory being used up, I don't think it is connected to the pink flashing situation. I wasn't sure either, so I redid it again recently.

I just click my desktop icon, I don't have to right click and run as admin. I have set the priority as high. I'll have to ask Gina where/how we did that as its one of the things I did with her that are all a blur to me. Short term memory issues.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#28 Old 21st May 2019 at 2:06 AM
The "run as admin" is a tick box under all the comp-mode tickbox/dopdowns in properties for the shortcut. You can right.click too, of course. Just wondered if you had it set as such in the properties.

I think I'll need to test this out. I have it set as such on my old laptop but not the new one. I thought at first it may interfere with the 4GB fix, but I don't know.

If you figure out how to set the priority, please let me know (is it a memory core thing? or CPU thing? I know multi-cores used to be an issue, but can't remember if it was either one or both)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 29th May 2019 at 5:18 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th May 2019 at 8:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I have set the priority as high.

Where does it need to be set as high?

Also, do you run the game as admin (tick box below the compatiblilty tickboxes)?

The memory allocation fix wasn't set up correctly, but it should be now, so I'll probably do more testing later today (we're having some bad weather, possibly including thunder/lightning since I heard some earlier, so I'm on battery power).

My main issue is the pink flashing right now. The game no longer crashes (haven't tried with more CC, though), but on one of the lots everything flashes pink upon entering (it looked normal the first time I opened the lot). Pic below of not having played more than a minute, and being greeted by the pink horror (which on my stationary would maybe show after 2-3 days of continous playing if I was really unlucky).

EDIT: For some reason had the pink on all sims in the UI when I restarted the game after editing the memory allocation fix (it wasn't set right, and I kinda knew that), but the sims on the lot looked normal, so I saved, exited the lot and went back in, and everything seems normal. No idea if it will stay normal, but one may hope... Gonna do some more testing, and perhaps put some finishing touches on my reconfigured Downloads folder, and we'll see. Atm I only have my absolute bare minimum of CC (roughly 500MB + a few replacements in the install folders, and that would have run without issues even on my fossile laptop (they're called New, Old, Stationary and Fossile now - gotta distinguish them somehow… ). I did delete the Thumbnail files before going ingame (a couple were 50+k) so it's possible this helped reset the pink issue, and I'm still not sure if it will last.

I did try running the game as admin, but it didn't even want to start (just got a couple prompts and then nothing).

Also found my old camera hacks, and boy, does this game have details! That's the neighborhood UFO, and it looks absolutely great, considering this is NBhood deco (so hopefully I'm over the pink issue, because other than that the game is running great with everything on high, and the camera is so smooth I don't think it's ever been any better).
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 29th May 2019 at 11:07 PM
I checking here the other day as I knew you had posted but could not see your post then promptly forgot.

It can be set temporarily in task manager as a test, but I know it can be set on permanently. (short term memory issues, I will have to ask Gina because I can't remember how now since I only did it once, maybe it was in graphic rules)

Task manager>prosses>right click the program>set priority. Also make sure to get out of programs that don't need to be running. For me Steam and Discord where hogs.

It's really odd though how much pink flashing you are getting.

Another thing I improved back on the Sticky thread was I got a better Power Supply as well. 800W

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#31 Old 30th May 2019 at 12:00 AM
Well... it is a bit weird. It's a new laptop spesifically built for gaming, by a company who mostly builds laptops for gaming and heavy tasks (most of the laptops on their site are for gaming, with specs in the top line for the price range I chose, except I went for the 1000 line instead of 2000 for the Nvidia card), so I'd think they'd know what they're doing. In theory it should be more than good enough to run the game (after a bit of tinkering, because 2004 game + 2018-ish graphic card isn't always a good match), so I'm fairly sure the pink-flashing is caused by the Win10 issues with memory handling. The pink issue also went away when I cranked up the virtual memory (I turned it back down just to see if I could find another solution, because SSD).

I haven't yet checked if it reacts badly to my full CC folder or old neighborhoods - right now I'm playing the vanilla game with some CC for the initial testing.

I'm only running TS2 and Origin (because UC) as programs, though I'd really like to find a way to not have to run Origin in the background (that thing hogs resources like crazy). There's also other stuff running, but I have yet to tinker with program settings to turn off programs I don't need/use all the time. Nothing else that should cause issues, though. Still learning how to navigate Win10 (I really don't like the new app style of the settings..)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 30th May 2019 at 12:23 AM
Origin is a hog. Maybe it can be turned off once the game is loaded?

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#33 Old 30th May 2019 at 9:06 AM
I have had awful pink-flashing in my game. I have a desk-top with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 32 GB RAM, 2 SSD-drives (C:, D: ), 1 M.2-SSD (G: ) and Nvidia GTX 970. I have UC via Origin and the latest updates for both Windows and Origin. After several weeks of flashing I found out that you had to have the game installed on the drive where you have windows installed to get the 4 Gb-fix to work. After reinstalling the game on C: and applying the 4 GB-fix and the memory allocation fix I now have my game running smoothly without pink flashing with Origin running offline. I could even use the GraphicRules.sgr and Video Cards.sgr generated by GraphicRulesMaker.exe with out changes. No need to run as Administrator. Today I have 8847 files of CC in 127 folders (2.8 GB) in contrast to 24217 files in 303 folders (6.6 GB) before flashing started. I’m gradually increasing the amount of CC to see if it inteferes to flashing.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#34 Old 30th May 2019 at 2:57 PM
I already have the entire game installed on the main drive, so that can't be the problem. I'll do some CC testing when I get back to it, because at hthe moment the memory allocation fix seems to have at least fixed my game temporarily.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 12:27 AM
Update:
My game keeps acting strange. It seems the Memory Allocation Fix isn't properly working - it does empty the memory according to the Resource surveilance, but my game keeps alternating between looking fine, complete pink-flashing and crashing (a couple times when loading a lot, and once when saving - but the lot did seemingly work the next time).

I've tried deleting the Thumbnail files, and I delete the cache files each time, but with no changes.

Are there any other things I need to do for this thing to work? I have the same settings as in the video, I think.

I still only have minimal CC (roughly 650 MB, which to me is pretty much nothing).

There are no issues with lag or anything, so I think it's still a memory issue.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 11:22 PM
All I can think of is it's a hardware issue because you have done everything and the issue is still just as bad. Have you run a temperature program? One that checks all the areas.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#37 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 11:58 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Jun 2019 at 12:08 AM.
Pretty sure it's not a temperature issue, either. I've done a few checks under load with the inbulit temp check, and it usually keeps a decent temperature. I can play TS4 for hours without any issues or crashes, and then one corner of the laptop goes a little warm, but it cools back down in like 5 minutes if I quit playing. TS2 doesn't even run long enough to heat up that corner before everything is flashing pink, or barely runs fine for half an hour.

The only issue I can think of is hardware compability, but Reading around on forums there are people with the exact card I have (Nvidia 1070) and similar setups (including Win10) that do have pink-flashing issues to start with, but manage to get trid of the pink with the fixes I've already tried.

Could be some issue in the Graphic Rules I haven't thought of, but I'm not any good with coding so if there is a mistake in there I don't think I can find it. Added the one I used when the pink-flashing appeared again (kindaworks), and one I did a couple fixes to that might help (NewEdited), but I'm not sure if they fix anything.

Starting to regret the Win10 choice...
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  GR-kindaworks.7z (7.2 KB, 1 downloads) - View custom content
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 1:43 AM
What is your power source? I know when my new pc first arrived I was told by some other on here that my power source was underpowered for the rest of the components. I think my first was 700 or 750 and I went up to 750 or 800 I can't remember which one, but I went up.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#39 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 2:41 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Jun 2019 at 2:57 AM.
No idea, but it's a laptop built to handle gaming, and I think that particularly company uses good components. Pretty sure it's even way overpowered to run TS2 (which, combined with or perhaps even entirely due to Win10, may be its biggest flaw).

Could it possibly be a multi-core CPU issue? One fix for random crashes used to be to set the game to run on one core, but I'm not sure if that's still a valid fix (and I'm not sure how to do it).

The thing is, the game runs fine, no lag, and then suddenly things start turning pink. Or the neighborhood flashes pink when entering. Or neighborhood is fine, but upon loading the lot everything flashes pink. Or the game crashes on any of these points or while saving. It's completely random. It's not my usual "too much CC" either, because so far I've only used a Maxis-made lot, and around or much less than 600 MB of CC (my old Desktop needed 30+ GB to get any pink-flashing, and then only with weather, on heavy lots, or with 2-3 days of continous gameplay, despite only having 4 GB of RAM to work with - I knew those were memory issues, no doubt). I've even had one or two play sessions with no pink. But it's not lagging or showing any other signs of struggling while the pink-flashing is going on. It's almost like the game has used up the texture memory while loading the game, hood or lot, but is otherwise working. It's really strange.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#40 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 2:56 AM
Maybe make a restore point before trying to lower the cores. It might be worth pursuing since nothing else has helped. You are on Windows 10?
This is helpful although the guy talks too fast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJBDEDDS5o just as well for pause.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#41 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 3:14 PM
I have dual graphics card and I also have flashing purple glitch sometimes, kind of far too often for my like. One solution is to delete high poly furniture, it fixed it when I had even worse flashing purple (whole lots + sims + surroundings). Recently, it was just an outfit, two hairstyles, a deco item and two whole sims.
Alchemist
#42 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
No idea, but it's a laptop built to handle gaming, and I think that particularly company uses good components. Pretty sure it's even way overpowered to run TS2 (which, combined with or perhaps even entirely due to Win10, may be its biggest flaw).

Could it possibly be a multi-core CPU issue? One fix for random crashes used to be to set the game to run on one core, but I'm not sure if that's still a valid fix (and I'm not sure how to do it).

https://web.archive.org/web/2018060...=36103#pid36103 - here are instructions to change the CPU count.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#43 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 4:58 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Sep 2019 at 5:11 PM.
(so a lot of things happened this summer and I haven't gotten much TS2 related done on the new laptop)

Anyway,

Last time I played, using the newly generated gamefiles, my game seemed to work relatively fine. So today I decided to do a bit of testing. There was some updating I had to do first and all that (haven't turned the computer on in a few weeks) and I decided to just test if my old story game (meaning the Documents files were from my CD version of the game) would work (it's always been a bit of trial and failure).

The game loads to where the first splash screen pops up in colors, and then I get a message saying something like "Direct3D reports an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL! Program will be terminated"
I haven't gotten this message before, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what might be going on.

The newly generated files don't have the same problem, and that game loads to the neighborhood selection screen without any issues, so it has to be something in the old files. The game did crash ("program has crashed" message) when I tried to load the last neighborhood I used, though - but not sure if that problem is related to the first one.

If the new game kinda works but the old game doesn't work at all, I might just have to start over from scratch (which I wouldn't mind too much, and I was kind of planning to do it anyway because that old neighborhood and the one or two extra 'hoods I have are a big mess - it's just a lot of work, though).
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 2nd Oct 2019 at 6:53 AM
If you want to give my guide a try, it would be asking for a second opinion from another implementation of Direct3D. If it doesn't work or has no effect, uninstallation is easy but please attach the Sims2EP9_d3d.log here before so. It didn't seem to work for @child_of_air with the heavy shader mods but it did work for people with quite powerful gaming computers (See Trophy Case). I don't know, maybe give it a shot on the old and new neighborhoods?

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=633003
Page 2 of 2