Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 3:23 AM
Default Force 24 hour Clock
Can someone explain how to get around this new clock requirement?
I put the game on 24 hour clock as before B.V. (I believe) (in settings) but when the 12:a.m. comes anticipated changes don't occur like they used to.
And what does this new clock have to do with the game? Pros and cons.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 12:05 PM
What anticipated changes?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 2:49 PM
24 hour clock is very nice for those who don't use am/pm in their daily life. Such as me, for instance. The only changes that clock does is to give you a 24 hour clock instead of a 12 hour clock that operates with pm/am. It does nothing what so ever to gameplay.

Pros: I can use a 24 hour clock, like I mostly do in my daily life (except for clocks with 12 hour clock faces)
Cons: ...none?
Instructor
#4 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 9:30 PM
I personally hate the 24 hour clock. I don't use it in my everyday life and use am/pm, and it's too much effort for me to convert in my head every time my sim got a promotion and his work hours would change. Instead, I force the 12 hour clock. If you have BV, for some reason it will always be on 24 hour clock when you open the game and you have to manually change it every time. If you want to always have the 12 hour clock, you can write "boolProp force12HrTime true" in your userStartup.cheat file in the Config folder.

Pros: None for me, since I don't use a 24 hour clock IRL.
Cons: If you don't use the 24 hour clock IRL, then the carpool times can get confusing when your sims get promotions.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 10:59 PM
I find it easy to use the setHour cheat with a 24 hr clock, since that's the numbers you type for the cheat, which is why my clock is in 24 hr clock.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ttowntallyho
I personally hate the 24 hour clock. I don't use it in my everyday life and use am/pm, and it's too much effort for me to convert in my head every time my sim got a promotion and his work hours would change. Instead, I force the 12 hour clock. If you have BV, for some reason it will always be on 24 hour clock when you open the game and you have to manually change it every time. If you want to always have the 12 hour clock, you can write "boolProp force12HrTime true" in your userStartup.cheat file in the Config folder.

Pros: None for me, since I don't use a 24 hour clock IRL.
Cons: If you don't use the 24 hour clock IRL, then the carpool times can get confusing when your sims get promotions.

I don't know how this got in the game - i.e., what EP it came from, or when, since after downloading B.V. I did the patch.
Since I have a Windows 8 computer, things are a little askew. The Maxis 'Settings' thing just won't work. It kind of shrugs and goes on about it's business, never changing anything. So thank you so much for the boolProp force thing. I am really trying to get interested in Bon Voyage but am certainly not there yet!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
What anticipated changes?

Hi Nysha - when the Sim clock strikes 12:01 any objects you have on the lot you're playing will raise in value if they can. I have a lot filled with such objects as well as all the 'rewards'-many of each of them. I like to place my new-right-out-of-the-shoot Sims there.
They leave wealthy and well disposed!
When I first started playing (Sims 1) all my peeps did was work all day, come home and study and call friends to keep their social up. It was taxing and slow. Eventually you learn in Sims 2 how to avoid the grind one way or the other. I prefer the other.
So a newly minted Sims (created expressly as a sitter for vacationing Sims) was placed in this lot, but when 12:a.m. hit nothing changed. I went to 'settings' (the Maxis setting that won't set,iows) and noticed the clock setting for the first time.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 1:28 AM
I frankly doubt that has anything to do with the clock. That's a different factor at work. The clock settings only change what's displayed to the player.

Personally, I can use both 24-hour and 12-hour clocks fluently, but for the sake of the setHour cheat, I use 24-hr time.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
I frankly doubt that has anything to do with the clock. That's a different factor at work. The clock settings only change what's displayed to the player.

Personally, I can use both 24-hour and 12-hour clocks fluently, but for the sake of the setHour cheat, I use 24-hr time.

Agree. As with many Simmers, once B.V. was successfully downloaded, I then had/have to deal with all the glitches, this being one of them, but the clock doesn't seem to affect it one way or the other.
After B.V., I don't think I will bother with the last two remaining E.Ps. I like to build, so Apartments would have been a natural, but reading all the steps required to build, no thanks.
Let's all hope Sims 4 will be a total stunner and without so ,many glitches right out of the shoot. And if they make it impossible to create or use custom content, well, you know the rest...
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 1:05 AM
Can I just interject and say that apartments are really not at all complicated to build? All you do is:

1. Build your building on a residential lot (two rules: use a certain outside door and make sure it's the only entrance/exit).
2. Type "changelotzoning apartmentbase" into the cheat console.

Done. I have seen tutorials that do make it appear complicated, but that's because they're covering many little variations on the rules for completeness' sake.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avis
Can I just interject and say that apartments are really not at all complicated to build? All you do is:

1. Build your building on a residential lot (two rules: use a certain outside door and make sure it's the only entrance/exit).
2. Type "changelotzoning apartmentbase" into the cheat console.

Done. I have seen tutorials that do make it appear complicated, but that's because they're covering many little variations on the rules for completeness' sake.

Thanks Avis -Your advice is something to consider. Just wondering, when building an apartment, does Maxis explain, which I assume they do, that in order to build an apartment you need to use the cheat?
You're right - I had images of typing something into the console, going back in, finding I missed a letter or two, wrote something incorrectly, going back in, going back out,etc.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sarah's jones
(...) Just wondering, when building an apartment, does Maxis explain, which I assume they do, that in order to build an apartment you need to use the cheat?
(...)

It seems to me that Maxis never thought that players wanted to build their own apartments. Because why else would they made it "so complicate" to create apartments? A simple option like the residental/community lot choice, you see when you put a empty lot on the neighborhood, would have made it easier. Some people aren't so crafty to know the cheat. And the option screen isn't too big to include it anyway.
And that's just one point I don't like about the interface design of Sims 2. *sigh and imaging to be able to change some core coding*
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 7:13 PM
The code is in the Read Me file. I guess if players are unable to enter a cheat code, maybe they're also better off using the pre-existing apartment lots, there is quite a few of them and most are nice and quite playable. Several families can live on a lot, plus townies, it's not as easy as building a house or a community lot, it's not just about the zoning. I also guess that having in mind maybe younger players, it was not expected that every player would feel the need to build their own apartments.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 12:52 AM
Yeah, I think Maxis assumed nobody would want to build their own apartments (why? who knows?). I hate anything Maxis built, myself, and would never use one of their apartment buildings.

To my knowledge, they never pointed out that you'll need that cheat code to build your own apartments. Luckily there is a community of players who know how to figure these things out for the rest of us!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avis
Yeah, I think Maxis assumed nobody would want to build their own apartments (why? who knows?). I hate anything Maxis built, myself, and would never use one of their apartment buildings.

To my knowledge, they never pointed out that you'll need that cheat code to build your own apartments. Luckily there is a community of players who know how to figure these things out for the rest of us!

"I hate anything Maxis built, myself, and would never use one of their apartment buildings."
Totally agree. Getting BV, the first thing i noticed was how dark and dismal all their lot motels,lodges, etc. are. You'd think by the time B.V. began genning up, someone in the Maxis chain would have pointed out that all their prior lots were too dark. Dark walls, floors, and nothing matches. My cat could do better at simple designing. And most of their lots in any game are unusable, imo. At first (in earlier E.P.s I thought it was on purpose, to encourage us to build. But by the time BV, came out, (after all they're supposed to be 'fun' vacations,) now I doubt even that premise.
I went to one lot yesterday- it was such an eyesore I left the lot immediately!

I may be wrong, but I think the core audience for any of the Sims is adults. Yet they seem to ignore this audience in favor of teens almost exclusively. That is the only reason I can imagine that they wouldn't think Simmers wouldn't want to build their own apartments.

"Luckily there is a community of players who know how to figure these things out for the rest of us!"
Agree, and where indeed would sales of Maxis's E.P.s be if those kind Simmers weren't there for the rest of us.
If they name their first Sims 4 "Vanilla All The Way", I'm not buying it.