Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 12:19 AM Last edited by gazania : 31st Jan 2014 at 9:52 AM.
Default Oh ____. The witch doctor is on my daughter's residential lot.
Her Sims have never even visited Twikkii Island. She doesn't even have a Twikkii Island as a vacation spot. From what I read, this is not supposed to happen.

Unfortunately, she saved the game before she realized what was going on. When she returned to the lot, the witch doctor was still there. Her solution was to move the Sim out and bulldoze the lot. (So much for listening to your Mom and holding off on doing anything, dear daughter.)

I'm starting to wonder if the Tabula Rasa spell DOES cause corruption. Honestly, I can't think of any other cause. We have done absolutely nothing else wrong that we know of. None of the deletion from Sim Bins, etc. We know the rules by heart.

I have read of someone who had the same problem, but of no solution. No, we don't even have the Ron Humble mod mentioned. We have both BV and AL as well. Is there a mod to prevent anything weird like this from happening again? My daughter is fearing she corrupted the neighborhood, but plans to play it until it implodes, clone her favorite Sims, etc.

Re the thread where someone else had this situation:

http://modthesims.info/t/448128 (Not sure if I was supposed to necro it.)

Fortunately, the witch doctor didn't talk to anyone. (I just found out ... I thought he did.) So hopefully, no harm done. (Unfortunately, I found out from some that may not be the case.)

No, there is no indication to summon the witch doctor on the Sim Blender, BTW. And my daughter assured me she would not be so stupid as to do that. There MIGHT be such an option on the Christianlov phone ... good heavens, you can sure call other NPCs you're not supposed to call with it ... I'll have to check. But if that was the situation, one would think there would be dozens of complaints about that. The thread is the only one I can find that even mentions this happening.

I suppose this could be a case of crap happening. I once had a food judge visit a community lot in an old and entirely different neighborhood months ago. Luckily, I made my Sim get out of there before the food judge talked to anyone, and banned that specific character from the lot right before my user-made left..

My daughter took things one step further. She's banning ALL NPCs from residential lots. Don't blame her one bit after that stunt.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 6:57 AM
No, it's not the spell. I had this happen in a neighborhood with no playable witches, only the NPC witches: without having the vacation hoods attached the game still generated Witch Doctor and dumped him in the wrong family. He was in with the regular townies. Double check on your summoner--in families he doesn't belong in. If no one interacted with him, you can probably move him to the correct family in SimPE and be just fine. My Witch Doctor was absolutely convinced he was a townie and made himself a nuisance--first showed up at an open owned business lot.

I probably should've mentioned it at the time on here, but it just seemed like one of those 'Argh! This game!' things. Since then I've just always made sure to attach the vacation hoods first thing so old Witch can get in his right family where he belongs, and I haven't seen him where he doesn't belong since.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 10:11 AM Last edited by gazania : 31st Jan 2014 at 11:05 AM.
I guess it's a lesson to actually PUT those vacation hoods in there ... or at least Twikkii ... whether you vacation or not. That is potential food for a wiki! In most of these cases so far, it appears that it happened when the player did NOT put Twikkii in the game. I'm trying to find SOME sort of common denominator because honestly, my daughter and I are scratching our heads trying to figure out what on earth she did wrong. (This is her neighborhood.) Doesn't enitrely explain what happened to ICad, though, back then. Well, hopefully, sticking Twikkii in there will give him a home and keep him out of the main hood from now on.

Strange that this has happened to a few people, including some I know are not prone to doing VBTs, using dodgy mods, etc. My daughter and I are getting the impression that unlike other potential corrupters, this might actually be a stupid game glitch that happens to a few select people out of the blue ... and lucky us got it.

Insim has a summoner, and the Blender seems to have one as well. And it occurred to me I didn't get a chance to run the Hood Checker. That might give a clue. I can do that right now. I can also probably give the Witch Doctor a look-see in Sim PE.

I wish she didn't save the game. That might be a problem. I need to talk to my darling child about NEVER saving if she knows there's a visitor on the lot, though admittedly, sometimes the little darlings sneak onto the lot just as you're saving (I've had that happen a few times.) And use the Blender or the Controller to remove and, if possible, ban any unwanted visitors off the lot immediately. Lesson learned the hard way.

EDIT ... Wow, Sunbee. According to Sim PE, he's related to the landlords. Don't know if that's normal or not. Wonder if that's how ICad got him without BV? AL might indeed have something screwy about that. But how on earth does one fix this? Or SHOULD one fix this? This sounds like something that if you mess up, your GAME will go poof; not just your neighborhood.

HoodChecker doesn't show any sign of the Witch Doctor, though that is no guarantee that everything is peachy. Sim PE shows no memory of his meeting my daughter's Sims. That IS good news.

Checked the objects.package file. No date change. BIG "whew" on that one. My files are already read-only.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 10:39 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 31st Jan 2014 at 1:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I need to talk to my darling child about NEVER saving if she knows there's a visitor on the lot...

How do you manage that? My Sims visit each other so much that there are almost always visitors on the lot. Sleepovers are frequent and I often have to quit in the middle of the day when all sorts of things are going on. I just try to avoid quitting when they're on the phone or playing with the toy car.

Is it really a Bad Thing to save when ordinary (invited) guests are on the lot?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 10:47 AM Last edited by gazania : 31st Jan 2014 at 11:03 AM.
I thought I read that one should try not to save with visitors on a lot, though I admit to occasionally having the same problems you do. Sometimes, they just sneak on there, even when you take every measure to clear everyone off the lot before saving (whether via Batbox, Visitor Controller, or just plain eyeballing ...). We must have really popular Sims!

Mad Poster
#6 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 11:58 AM
I never heard that saving with visitors was bad. Just saving while on the phone and saving while quitting.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 12:49 PM
Saving with ordinary visitors on the lot is fine (Don Lothario is saved on the Goth family lot). Saving with off-world loiterers (Sims on the phone) is bad, saving while quitting (using the "Quit to Neighborhood" or "Quit Game" options without manually saving the game first) is bad. Saving with the toy car in use is bad, unless you have the University patch and made your objects.package file read-only (don't save just in case).

Seriously though, the thread you linked say the problem "May" be averted if you have BV and AL. I have both and haven't seen the Witch Doctor in the wrong place. I think I'll create a custom neighborhood with my game files read-only (I've already done that) and play without Twikkii island.

I still wonder whether the Tabula Rasa actually causes corruption. Doesn't bother me though - if I need to get rid of memories, I'll just go into SimPE and delete the ones that are safe (they are coloured black and blue in SimPE. Any other colour means it shouldn't be deleted).

This is yet another total fail on EAxis's part. I was actually hoping NOT to install the vacation subhoods, since I wanted to save on character files. But it looks like EAxis has given me no choice. Just damn you, EAxis! Damn you!
Scholar
#8 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 1:43 PM
My Apocalypse hood doesn't have any vac hoods attached, I'm six generations in & other than that daffy pop up when the hood opens ("you got blah blah blah not assigned to the neighborhood" I've been lucky & not had any problems.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 3:01 PM
I thought saving with sims on the phone was only bad when installing an EP/SP. Am I missing something here?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 3:31 PM Last edited by gazania : 31st Jan 2014 at 3:50 PM.
Well, that's good to know that saving while the Witch Doctor on the lot probably didn't make things worse.

This really does seem like a rare and random glitch; particularly since we've found so very little about it on the Net, and the last thread here that addressed it was posted back in 2011. It may be extremely hard to replicate, which would also mean that if there is an outside chance all of us who got this used a common mod that caused this (or used one that did a similar function), that would also be very difficult to pinpoint. I do hope Mr. Witch Doctor stays safely ensconced on Twikkii now in all our hoods and never, ever graces a main hood with his presence. My daughter doesn't even want her Sims near Twikkii Island, just in case her Sims bring back an Island curse. Whatever did she do to you, you mean witch doctor?

In short, I don't know for sure if one HAS to put the vacation hoods (particularly Twikkii) in the game. Four or five people out of ... how many here ... had this problem since 2007/2008? Doesn't sound like something that's so much of a concern. But if the glitch does happen, it does create an "Oh, friggin' crap" moment. Just sayin'. We know THAT from experience now!

Just another rare but potentially-harmful Maxis mistake that could bork stuff. No problem.

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 4:28 PM
The Witch Doctor is an object and he's created when the hood is (he is visible in SimPE anyway), whether you attach vacation subhoods or not. And he shouldn't appear anywhere else than on his hidden lot anyway. I don't see how playing the Bon Voyage aspect or not, or adding vacation subhoods, explains his visiting a residential lot

The thing is, the only real safety measure is to back up the game all the time. Does your daughter really not have any back up at all? It's her game, but I know I would not continue with that save, I'd revert to my latest back up, even if it meant losing some progress.
Good luck!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 5:00 PM
Six am is my usual save time, unless I have someone getting off a car-pool then. Or there's a skunk in the yard.

I think you're probably going to have to move Witch Doctor to the correct family, else he will keep thinking he's a landlord. I didn't do anything with mine because that was stand-alone Widespot and Peni came out with Widespot RFD and I slapped that in my uberhood and never looked back. Just back-up first, and then if you do it wrong, you're back where she started from, right?
If he lands in the default family, I'd think that'd be just fine, because that's where all the ghosts and stuff reside, and they don't get called to show up as customers or townies or what-have-you. I expect that's where he's supposed to be, in fact, and probably where those of you who haven't seen him would find him.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 10:50 PM Last edited by gazania : 1st Feb 2014 at 12:19 AM.
Um .... I haven't the foggiest idea how to move this guy. It might be time for a "moving the witch doctor for idiots" suggestion. What is the correct family? I suppose there isn't a link for the clueless?

I think I'm approaching the glassy-eyed and confused stage.

And I'm ashamed to say we don't save daily. I do back up, but probably not as much as I should, and the last backup was a while ago, before we installed certain EPs and SPs (got them over the holiday season and installed them after that) so I don't know if that's a good idea. Yes, perhaps we should do that now .... or at least back up more often.

But the situation is giving me pause now. In all but one situation, it seems to be a one or two-off glitch. This isn't the case in ALL instances, but in most.

If this is a one-off oops, perhaps I'm overreacting. Yes, the neighborhood might be corrupted. I myself have a knack of finding new ways to corrupt them. Perhaps my daughter has inherited my talents.

But even in corrupted neighborhoods ... well .... we've been through this here. There are different rates of corruption. Some neighborhoods may run OK for a long time. I seriously corrupted a neighborhood that worked pretty darn well for a few years afterward, and I DID so many VBTs that I now hang in head in shame at my folly and ignorance. ("Well, Maxis lets you do it!" indeed.). Some may go wonky in a really short time. My daughter and I had two instances of that as well. What concerns us, though, is that in the past, we knew what we did wrong, owned up to it, and sinned no more. This is the very first instance where neither of us has the faintest clue what happened. We've been through this over and over again here, and simply can't come up with a reason. We've pored through the wiki. We've examined the new ways I found how to corrupt neighborhoods outside of what is in the wiki. (Apparently, for instance, if you do a 50/50 Download hunt for a piece of bad content, do NOT remove the PT folder while doing this, even if you don't save the game. Keep that folder in at all times. Trust me on this one.) We're both extremely careful.

Some choose to play until it's unfeasible; some reset. Personally. I play for a little while, then reset. I now reset neighborhoods frequently.

Right now, I'm looking through all my neighborhoods, both on this and on the test machine. If anyone is curious, I invite them to take a peek in their Sim PE as well. What is the info about this guy in Sim PE? Is he also related to your landlords? Is this where EA normally put him?

I admit to being ignorant about most aspects of Sim PE. Oh, I can do basic fixes; change skintones, etc. But I am a little nervous playing around with basic game files.

I think one prudent idea might be not to panic. Find out a little more about him specifically as well. Did Maxis screw up and made him related to ALL the landlords in all neighborhoods? If this is a deliberate thing, should an inexperienced Sim Pe user like I be messing around with the files?

Stuff like that. It's a start.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 11:29 PM
If you have Windows 7, you almost certainly have "Previous Versions", which function as on-the-fly backups.

Go to My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods and select your neighbourhood (N001 or whatever). Right click on it and select Properties. You should get a tab marked "Previous Versions". Select one from before the trouble appeared and click on Copy.... You will now have a copy of the 'hood as it was at the time that Windows created the restore point. An alternative is to click on Restore..., but that overwrites your current version immediately, so, if you do it that way, make sure you back up your current version first. I think I have heard that some older Windows versions only have the Restore option.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 11:49 PM Last edited by gazania : 1st Feb 2014 at 12:16 AM.
System Restore ,,,, didn't think of that. Thanks!

Looking through the neighborhoods, our witch doctor seems to be all over the place. In the unplayed ones, he's just ..... there. Not related to anyone.

In my test neighborhood (on the main machine. I have two test hoods, actually; one on each machine), he's related to a whole BUNCH of other NPCs, not just the landlords. A couple of hobby leaders, for instance. In my daughter's hood, as I wrote, he's related to just the landlords. I have Twikkii in my test hood. She does not. All relationships, by the way, are "not defined or unknown". Yup. That's pretty accurate. In my Pleasantview, which I have not played since installing the newer EPs and SPs, but have not placed any apartments, he is again related to a whole bunch of people, but NO landlords.I have to check the test hood on the other machine. Right now, someone is on that one.

It makes me wonder that if I installed an apartment in Pleasantview, would the landlords be immediately related? Good question. I do have Twikii in that one, too, though. (Answer: Yup. Instant relations.)

So his relationships can be pretty random. Hmmm ....

Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 12:06 AM
Every time this thread gets bumped I get this song stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4glZPIaGH4
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 12:12 AM Last edited by gazania : 1st Feb 2014 at 1:30 AM.
Me, too. But I admit I'll never quite think of the song quite the same way again!

Hopefully, my daughter's neighborhood doesn't go walla walla bing bang.

EDIT .... Doing a little more Googling, I found a few more instances of the Witch Doctor appearing where he oughtn't. One person didn't even have AL OR BV ... only Free Time. A couple people, though, WERE doing VBTs, so that's a little more understandable.

This is the query by the person without BV or AL:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...16001029AAbVqfe

Below is a query on the Wikia. This one is of some concern, since I know my daughter seems to like killing off certain of her user-made Sims. I'll ask my daughter if there were graves or urns on her lot, and if so, did she "properly" kill her Sims and properly handle the urn or tombstone? (Note ... yes, she had several tombstones. I don't believe she did anything amiss with them, though. We've been through the Sim ghost/grave/urn talk already, and she's already learned what happens when you don't handle these things with care. Great. This wasn't quite the sort of "talk" I envisioned having with my kids.)

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Ch..._help_on_Sims_2

And good grief! This person doesn't have BV or AL either!

So things get even weirder. I'm still trying to figure out if she did a VBT when I wasn't in the room with her, and that's what could have caused this. I'd like to rule that out before messing with files. If this turned out that SHE found another way to corrupt a neighborhood (sometimes, I think we should have our own section re corruption in the Wikia), then that's how we'll handle it.

And ... oh, dear .... why in the name of plumbbobs would anyone want this?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...29103235AAlsoiv

Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 12:59 AM
Never use Yahoo! Answers. If teachers say that Wikipedia is unreliable (which isn't true, by the way), Yahoo! Answers is thirty times less reliable. One time, I was looking for help about how to completely delete files from a computer, and someone wrote "Once u delete it in trash it will b gon from ur computer forever <3".

I can see why FT and AL would have this problem. The objects.package file for later EPs actually contain much of the objects and code from previous EPs - however it still won't work without the actual EP. As according to this page - http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Witch_Doctor , he can be summoned without BV using hacked objects, but he won't have the correct clothing and accessories and yield blank faces. If you have BV he will appear normally.

EDIT: Updated the page with a warning for readers. Need to confirm whether the Witch Doctor is a universal NPC or not (the NPC that appears in-game, NOT the template it is cloned from).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 1:05 AM
No, I wasn't using Yahoo as a definitive source for answers. HEAVENS, no. Absolutely not! Reading those responses on how to marry the witch doctor and bring him to your Sim's house ... well, I feel sorry for the owners of those probably-imploded neighborhoods. Just a walk-by in the wrong place can be of concern, never mind doing much else with this dude. I was just seeing if other people had this problem, and trying to find something in common with the responses .... a bad hack, doing a VBT, having vacation hoods or not, etc. If we unknowingly did a VBT, we don't want to do it again, for instance (obviously). It would be a fixable situation. It's not knowing how this happened that's frustrating.

Readers ... never, never, never blindly follow Sims 2 responses on Yahoo. Egads!

Mad Poster
#20 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 1:12 AM
In my uberhood, where he's never appeared where he oughtn't, Witch is in the Default Household. So is Wise Old Man. The Default family instance number is 0x0000

I'm not sure how you move him. Maybe you just paste the correct family instance in and hit commit. Someone who knows how to do stuff better in SimPE will surely be along shortly, but hey, you have a back-up, right? What could possibly go wrong that you can't fix back to where you started from?

Though if you take my advice, remember that I have to reinstall my operating system at least annually, because, well, what could possibly go wrong that can't be fixed as long as I have all my installation disks for every program I run and up to date backups of my important stuff? In other words, I have a high risk tolerance due to regular backing-up. (Ask my kids: my motto is plan for everything that can go wrong and then don't worry about it because you'll be okay no matter what. This also makes me the go-to person for multi-tool and bandaids.)

Edit: K6ka, the 'love' is because you're updating the wikia.

Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
In my uberhood, where he's never appeared where he oughtn't, Witch is in the Default Household. So is Wise Old Man. The Default family instance number is 0x0000

I'm not sure how you move him. Maybe you just paste the correct family instance in and hit commit. Someone who knows how to do stuff better in SimPE will surely be along shortly, but hey, you have a back-up, right? What could possibly go wrong that you can't fix back to where you started from?

Though if you take my advice, remember that I have to reinstall my operating system at least annually, because, well, what could possibly go wrong that can't be fixed as long as I have all my installation disks for every program I run and up to date backups of my important stuff? In other words, I have a high risk tolerance due to regular backing-up. (Ask my kids: my motto is plan for everything that can go wrong and then don't worry about it because you'll be okay no matter what. This also makes me the go-to person for multi-tool and bandaids.)

Edit: K6ka, the 'love' is because you're updating the wikia.

According to this page, Sims with a family instance of 0x0000 are Sims that are not part of a family, such as universal Sims, dangerous NPCs, and dead Sims. The Witch Doctor is clearly unsafe. Not that this is anything new!

I'm not sure about trying to move such a fragile NPC around. It's like trying to balance a porcelain coffin that's standing upright on a silver tray. And even if it was somehow successful, the Sim clearly has an incomplete character file. Corruption occurs both ways. Corruption above us, corruption below us. If the game files are read-only, then game corruption isn't in our list of worries. However, the neighborhood is always a goner.

I left a note on the talk page of the Witch Doctor article. You're welcome to leave your comments and notes there, just sign your posts with ~~~~. It's important that the wiki is up-to-date on these issues as it is read by millions of people daily.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 1:54 AM Last edited by gazania : 1st Feb 2014 at 8:55 PM.
Well, I'm such a Sim PE noob that I wouldn't risk it. This is the person who gingerly traipses through height changes and skintone changes. No. I am NOT the person for the job.

Right now, this seems to be some sort of rare game burp with no definite reason how it happens. Of those who were affected by this and who posted aftermaths, putting Twikkii Island in the game might help (emphasis on the word "might" because this is not even vaguely definite), and most could play their neighborhoods for some time after that. But yes, Twikkii could be an utter coincidence, and we all know that corrupted neighborhoods have varying lifespans. I don't know if others had graves on their properties or did an inadvertent VBT we don't even know about yet. (Who knows what? Maybe we all named a Sim baby Benedict Cumberbatch.) There is no proof that the situation happened because of known VBTs. Or did we all have a mod that did something wonky, and those who haven't experienced this again simply got rid of the mod during a clean-out and forgot which one it was? (Edited to emphasize that Twikii is only a really vague hypothesis. This is not an indication for people to rush out, get BV and add Twikkii.)

This can happen even without AL or BV, and even without summoning via cheats. The Witch Doctor might have some link with landlords, though not always. He might be related to other Sims, including butlers and hobby leaders, in some neighborhoods. But not always.

OK. We have a lot to work on, don't we? Gotta love Maxis.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 2:13 AM
So yeah, that's exactly where Witch ought to be. "Default" is the name for that family on the teleporter. Bigfoot Bigfoot, the dead, that's where they all are.

I bet one of the experienced modders who can use SimPE in their sleep will look in soon and have better advice than the rest of us can on how to fix him.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 2:35 AM Last edited by gazania : 2nd Feb 2014 at 2:26 AM.
The only thing outside of a Sim PE fix that I can think of is some sort of specific extension to the Visitor Controller that has a menu item allowing you to ban the Witch Doctor, Food Judges etc as some sort of preventative measure. It already allows you to ban Mrs. C and the Charlatan. But I realize that a universal unplayable NPC-banning mod may be unwise.

@Sunbee ... found your original thread about your experience. It reminds me of what I did to the Food Judge, only the business in question was a bordello, and I had an ACR-related mod on the lot. That was ALL I needed my Food Judge to do.

Thread link with Sunbee's post (it's in the middle):

http://www1.modthesims.info/t/print...&page=441&pp=25

And I found another instance of someone who had the same problem. Is this a little less rare than I thought?

http://www1.modthesims.info/showthr...r#startcomments (The person didn't have BV as well. Interesting. Not FT, either. But behold! The infamous AL is on there.) And my daughter insists she didn't do any of the VBTs in post 211. The poster did admit to doing some of them. (This post was edited because boy, was I long-winded here! Sorry.)