Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 11:03 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How to move EA files to Drive D
Hello, I'm Luce. I need your help today, I was having a hard time with memory space with my computer so I downloaded sims to to my drive D; yet the EA files automatically installs themselves to documents drive c, how can I move them on drive d and will work properly? Thank you for the help..
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 11:09 PM
Moved to help.

Yes, in order to do this, you have to move the entirety of My Documents. There are instructions on the web about how to do it - just Google. It's fairly straightforward (though can't tell you for sure about Win10 or 8 so check you have the right instructions for your system).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 2:04 AM
Not necessarily! I used a directory junction.

Easiest way to do it, I've found, is with the Link Shell Extension. You'll want to backup the game folder first just to be on the safe side - I once screwed up the process and ended up with some vanished files. After installing LSE and rebooting, right-click on the newly-moved folder, and select Pick Link Source. Then go to the EA Games folder and Drop As > Junction. I do this for a number of other games as well, and it's never failed to work.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 2:18 AM
Do you need to move the Sims 2 folder to D drive? I also installed to D drive to save space but I found I had enough room on C for the Sims 2 folder. It will work split like that if you have the room.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 4:50 AM
I moved my whole game to D drive. The game itself I just picked custom install and put my own filepath in.

The one that goes in My Documents you just have to use the move feature to move the whole of your documents to the D drive. Right click on My Documents, then go to Properties, Location and enter your new location for the folder. You can do it with things like My Music as well. But make sure that you have a folder created to move it into or it will just pile the whole lot in D drive without a folder and then won't let you create one. Had to move the damn thing back and forth three times because I messed that up.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Not necessarily! I used a directory junction.

Easiest way to do it, I've found, is with the Link Shell Extension. You'll want to backup the game folder first just to be on the safe side - I once screwed up the process and ended up with some vanished files. After installing LSE and rebooting, right-click on the newly-moved folder, and select Pick Link Source. Then go to the EA Games folder and Drop As > Junction. I do this for a number of other games as well, and it's never failed to work.

oooo interesting - I never had that when I did it but it was a long time ago now.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 11:59 AM
NTFS filesystems are really quite something.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 7:46 PM
I could never get a directory junction to work for TS2 on Win8, but I haven't tried on 7 or 10.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.