Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 2:54 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Change cc folder?
so the custom content folder is usually c:/users/nyanchan/documents/etc. Is there any way for me to make it so i can keep my custom content on my F: drive?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 3:07 AM
It has to be on the same drive that has your sims 2 folder. Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2. It's probably possible to have a documents folder on another drive. My game is installed to D drive but my Sims 2 folder and content are on C drive, so I know that works.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#3 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 8:46 AM
Your custom contents-folder has to be in the system folder Documents which is by default c/users/<your name>/documents in Windows english versions. However you can change the location for the (whole) Documents system folder everywhere you want to.
If you have Windows 10 follow this tutorial:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-10-a.html

Windows 7:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windo...y_documents.htm

Btw I have my programs on my G: -disc and my custom content on my D:-disc and Windows on C:
Instructor
#4 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It has to be on the same drive that has your sims 2 folder.

Edit: Misread the OP slightly, for the Downloads folder, but you can relocate the entire "The Sims 2" folder the same way

Not strictly true. While it has to be a sub-folder under "The Sims 2" folder (or the UC equivalent), with the magic of symbolic links, that no longer (since at least Windows 7) has to be on the same physical drive.

1. Create a new folder, eg D:\Sims2Downloads
  2. Move all of C:\Users\{username}\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads to it
  3. Delete the original (now empty) "Downloads" sub-directory
  4. Type "command" into the "Ask me anything" area (or find the MS-DOS Command Prompt item from the Start menus)
  5. Right-click "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator"
  6. In the Command Prompt window,
    • cd "C:\Users\{username}\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2"
    • mklink /D Downloads D:\Sims2Downloads

Your "The Sims 2" folder will now have a Downloads entry with an icon of an upwards right curving arrow on it. Navigating into it will take you into whatever folder you created in step 1, as if it was a direct sub-folder. The game will know no different.

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 11:10 AM
I have tried using symlinks for this to no avail, the game didn't pick up anything behind the symlink.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 11:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It has to be on the same drive that has your sims 2 folder. Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2. It's probably possible to have a documents folder on another drive. My game is installed to D drive but my Sims 2 folder and content are on C drive, so I know that works.

well i have my game installed on my F: drive in F:\EA GAMES. i don't have a lot of space on my c: so is there a way to make it so that it checks in the f: for the folder?
Instructor
#7 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 12:01 PM Last edited by whoward69 : 18th Mar 2017 at 12:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I have tried using symlinks for this to no avail, the game didn't pick up anything behind the symlink.

YMMV then, as it works perfectly for me.

Edit: Are you using sym links (via the mklink command) or shortcuts (via the copy / paste as shortcut combo) - I've had issues with the latter.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 2:11 PM
I was using mklink - I wouldn't expect shortcuts to work. I still had the unremovable, non-working symlink on my laptop until I did a fresh Windows 10 install about a year ago. >.>

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Mar 2017 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
Edit: Misread the OP slightly, for the Downloads folder, but you can relocate the entire "The Sims 2" folder the same way

Not strictly true. While it has to be a sub-folder under "The Sims 2" folder (or the UC equivalent), with the magic of symbolic links, that no longer (since at least Windows 7) has to be on the same physical drive.

1. Create a new folder, eg D:\Sims2Downloads
  2. Move all of C:\Users\{username}\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads to it
  3. Delete the original (now empty) "Downloads" sub-directory
  4. Type "command" into the "Ask me anything" area (or find the MS-DOS Command Prompt item from the Start menus)
  5. Right-click "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator"
  6. In the Command Prompt window,
    • cd "C:\Users\{username}\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2"
    • mklink /D Downloads D:\Sims2Downloads

Your "The Sims 2" folder will now have a Downloads entry with an icon of an upwards right curving arrow on it. Navigating into it will take you into whatever folder you created in step 1, as if it was a direct sub-folder. The game will know no different.

[Window Title]
Location is not available

[Content]
C:\Users\Emilin\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you’re connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can’t be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

[OK]
whenever i try to click on the downloads link in the folder. what do i do now?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 3:23 AM
Depends on the exact command you entered to create the sym link in the first place.

Start a command prompt, cd into "C:\Users\Emilin\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2", give the "dir" command and take a screen shot, eg as attached

like this?
Screenshots
Instructor
#11 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 7:51 AM
Did F:\EA_GAMES\Downloads exist before you used the mklink command?
And what is F: ? A physical hard-disk or a SSD?

Regardless, you can remove the symlink by starting an admin command prompt, cd'ing into "The Sims 2" directory, and giving the command "rmdir Downloads" - which will remove the symlink only

As an aside, where's the "Config", "Cameras" et al sub-directories?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 2:55 AM
Did F:\EA_GAMES\Downloads exist before you used the mklink command?
And what is F: ? A physical hard-disk or a SSD?

Regardless, you can remove the symlink by starting an admin command prompt, cd'ing into "The Sims 2" directory, and giving the command "rmdir Downloads" - which will remove the symlink only

As an aside, where's the "Config", "Cameras" et al sub-directories?

well it existed as 'F:\EA GAMES\Downloads' but it wouldn't work for that one. its a partition of a physical hard drive, because for some reason most of my space was on a different drive from my c:

the other subdirectories are located at "F:\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res"

EDIT oh hey i added the "_" to the name and it fixed!