Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 2:21 PM Last edited by coraldey : 23rd Mar 2017 at 2:17 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Directx error (software issue?)
I've just completely crashed my computer and am starting over. I'm trying to install my games and I keep getting an error saying, "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter in this system..." I've checked and my computer does have the latest DirectX; it's not specifically 9.0c, it's 11, but it's my understanding that it should still work since it's the latest. I did a Microsoft update to ensure it is the latest. I've read over the graphic card help section, but I didn't see anything that pertained to my specific situation. There was something about needing to uninstall DirectX and reinstalling it, but I don't know how to do that, and I'm not certain that's the correct action. How do I make my game recognize my DirectX? Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 12:30 AM
DirectX 9.0c is a special case, no version of DirectX is backwards compatible with 9.0c. You'll need to download DirectX 9.0c specifically and install it. But you can still keep DirectX 11 running alongside 9.0c.

Once you have DirectX 9.0c installed, the game should run correctly.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 12:39 AM
I love Filehippo, pretty safe
http://filehippo.com/download_directx/

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 9:30 AM
I tried to install DirectX 9.0c, but it won't install. Error message reads, "Internal system error..." I checked the error log and it says that it cannot create a file that already exists. I assuming it means the DirectX 11. If I need to change the file name, I don't know how; it doesn't have that option. Or if I need to uninstall DirectX 11, I don't know how to do that either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Scholar
#5 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 9:46 PM
In that case, you'll probably have to tell us details about your computer's operating system. This thread probably belongs to the Computer & Software Help section now.

I was going to recommend uninstalling DX11 first, then install DX9.0c, then reinstall DX11, and if it prompts to in some way get rid of DX9.0c, say no, and see if it installs anyway. But since we don't know anything about your computer operating system, we can't provide more directions on what to do.

See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Mar 2017 at 9:45 AM Last edited by coraldey : 19th Mar 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Sure, I can give you any info you need. Please let me know what you need. I'll see if I can find something on how to uninstall the DirectX 11 because I've been unable to find the program folder on my computer so far.
Thank you so much for the continued assistance.

Update: Okay I found how to delete DirectX 11. It come standard on Windows 7 so I had to delete from the registry. I also turned off the system protections so that it wouldn't automatically reinstall when rebooted. Installed DirectX 9.0c and it finally installed correctly. I tried to start my game and it got any error that the program stopped working, issue unknown. So I uninstalled Sims and reinstalled now that I have the correct DirectX. When I tried to start the game, I got the same exact error as before about finding no DirectX adaptors on my system.

I am completely boggled. I verified that the DirectX11 is no longer in the registry, but when I do a dxdiag, it still says DirectX 11. ?!?! The whole reason I crashed my computer was that I could have the Sims 2 work well and be the only game and now it won't work. I have to admit I'm a little teary. Anyone have any suggestions?

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Main driver: VGA version 6.1.7600.16385

It says I have a standard VGA graphics adaptor, which is weird because I put in a Radeon about 5 years ago.
Scholar
#7 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 3:15 AM
Perhaps now it's because the game doesn't recognize the Radeon video card? Did you adjust the "Video Cards.sgr" file in your "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\Config\" folder to include the video card in question? Maybe that's the reason for the unknown error, the game can't find the video card because it's not on the list.

What is the video card your have?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 11:05 AM
I've never had to adjust the "video cards.sgr" before. How do you do that? It's been so long I don't remember the exact kind of video card I have. I know I picked one that was on the compatibility list here on the site to improve my game play. I still have the box, but all it says is, "MSI graphics card ATI Radeon premium graphics". Any suggestions on how to find out? I really appreciate your help. It means a lot. Thanks again.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 8:38 PM
graphicrules.sgr?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#10 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 12:28 AM
"Video Cards.sgr" lists the variety of video cards available for the game to use, based on its device ID number (at least in the year 2007).

You can find out the exact video card you have by doing the following. Note that I don't have Windows 7, so I don't know if you'll be able to follow the instructions exactly as listed. Perhaps someone else who has Windows 7 can assist?

1. Start -> Control Panel -> System
2. Choose to "Hardware" tab -> choose "Device Manager"
3. Find the "Display Adapters" -> right-click the video card listed -> "Properties"
4. Choose the "Details" tab -> from the Property list, choose "Matching Device Id"

In the "Value" results, you'll find something to the effect of this text string:
pci\ven_10de&dev_1201

This says that 'in your PCI slot of your motherboard, you have a {insert Video Card vendor's name} {insert video card model name}'

In my case:
Vendor 0x10de = nVidia
Device 0x1201 = GeForce GTX 560

Do a Google search for your your device number, and find out what the name of your video card is.

After you find out, you'll need to add it to the "Video Cards.sgr" file (make a back-up first).

I placed my video card at the end of the list of nVidia, and looks like this (at the end of the list):

#############################################################################

vendor "NVIDIA" 0x10b4 0x12d2 0x10de
card 0x0008 "NV 1"
card 0x0009 "NV 1"
card 0x0010 "NV 2"
card 0x1201 "GeForce GTX 560"
end
#############################################################################

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 10:36 AM
Thank you much for all the detailed information!
How do you add to the video cards.sgr file? It won't let me open it. Is there another way? Thanks!!!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 1:36 PM
I opened mine with Notepad.
BTW, Instruction works perfectly/the same, on Win 7

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#13 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coraldey
Thank you much for all the detailed information!
How do you add to the video cards.sgr file? It won't let me open it. Is there another way? Thanks!!!
So do as Rosebine mentioned, open that file in Notepad. Then add the relevant information to it, then save it with the same extension (".sgr"). Let us know what happens.

Incidentally, I hope you're looking around the Sims 2 forums to find information about Windows 7 and graphics card issues, and not just relying on this thread for assistance. I'm guessing there's a big time zone difference, which explains this slow moving resolution process.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 2:16 PM
It's just not going to recognize my graphics card. Perhaps it's died. I'm going to try to buy a new one. Thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it! xoxo