Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 3:21 PM
Default Help with Window
I'm trying to convert a window from ts2 to ts4. I've managed to uv map it in Blender and I've exported a .wso from Blender and imported it into TSRW. The problem is the window appears in the ground rather than in the wall. I'm sure the export process is probably to blame.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to get a file from blender into TSRW?

Do I need to get milkshape? Is there a way around it?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 3:43 PM
How did you export a .wso from blender, is there a plugin for that?

I always export obj, import that in Milkshape, assign the joints there and export the wso from that. To make sure I have the correct joint names in MS, I normally import a wso first (of the same kind of thing exported from TSRW) and delete it again.

When you have stuff open in Milkshape, also check that the groups are in the correct order with the correct names -- I normally have all six versions of a mesh in the same .blend and since blender seems to rename them automatically, I find this easier to manage with only one LOD at a time.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
How did you export a .wso from blender, is there a plugin for that?

I always export obj, import that in Milkshape, assign the joints there and export the wso from that. To make sure I have the correct joint names in MS, I normally import a wso first (of the same kind of thing exported from TSRW) and delete it again.

When you have stuff open in Milkshape, also check that the groups are in the correct order with the correct names -- I normally have all six versions of a mesh in the same .blend and since blender seems to rename them automatically, I find this easier to manage with only one LOD at a time.

Yes there is a plugin for that. It's in the same place as the plugin for milkshape in the TSRW program files, but I'm not sure it is handling joints.

How do I assign joints? Is there a tutorial I could look at?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 4:38 PM
Are you sure that .wso plugin is for TS4 items? I seem to recall they were working on one for TS3 at some point (a long time ago, I don't remember any details) but I've never seen any mention of a TS4 one.

I don't know about any Milkshape tutorials .. assigning joints is pretty straightforward -- select the vertices you want, select the joint, click "Assign".

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 4:50 PM
Are you sure that .wso plugin is for TS4 items? I seem to recall they were working on one for TS3 at some point (a long time ago, I don't remember any details) but I've never seen any mention of a TS4 one.

I don't know about any Milkshape tutorials .. assigning joints is pretty straightforward -- select the vertices you want, select the joint, click "Assign".

Yes there is a .wso import/export script. I've uploaded the scripts to dropbox

I managed to import the window using it. The mesh displayed, but in the wrong location.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 5:06 PM
Where is that plugin officially hosted? Was that new with the May update, perhaps? (I'm still using the version from April)

Just curious since it would certainly be cool to be able to interface with blender directly -- windows are more complex than most other objects, so even if there's issues with that, maybe regular objects work fine.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 5:18 PM
Where is that plugin officially hosted? Was that new with the May update, perhaps? (I'm still using the version from April)

Just curious since it would certainly be cool to be able to interface with blender directly -- windows are more complex than most other objects, so even if there's issues with that, maybe regular objects work fine.

It was in the program folder C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims Resource\TSR Workshop\Extras\Blender 2.74

Probably included with the latest release. I just downloaded it so I have the most up to date version.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xsuddenxdelugex
It was in the program folder C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims Resource\TSR Workshop\Extras\Blender 2.74

Probably included with the latest release. I just downloaded it so I have the most up to date version.

Okay. So I've got the .obj that I made in blender imported to milkshape, but the grouping is all wrong. How do I change which parts of the mesh are assigned to the various groups.Can I create new groups? Milkshape is only showing four, but the window I'm cloning has seven. In blender I had seven parts, but they've merged when I imported them to milkshape.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 5:40 PM
If the groups are correct in blender, sounds like there's something wrong in your export options. I can check what mine are later (off the top of my head I don't remember exactly); in the meantime try turning on/off the "objects as object groups" option and that other one directly above or below it.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 5:54 PM
If the groups are correct in blender, sounds like there's something wrong in your export options. I can check what mine are later (off the top of my head I don't remember exactly); in the meantime try turning on/off the "objects as object groups" option and that other one directly above or below it.

Yay! I now have the groups set up correctly.

So to get TSRW to read the mesh, the groups need to have corresponding names and order to those in the window I'm cloning? Is that correct?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xsuddenxdelugex
Yay! I now have the groups set up correctly.

So to get TSRW to read the mesh, the groups need to have corresponding names and order to those in the window I'm cloning? Is that correct?

That's all I had to do! I've imported that new mesh into TSRW and it sits correctly in the wall! Thanks so much for your help!

Now if I can just sort out the UV map and redo the textures I'll have a window :D
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 6:57 PM
Cool. Thanks for getting back =). I'll make sure to check out the new version too with the blender import/export, thanks for the info on that!

And yes, it does matter very much that your groups have the right names and are in the right order. The material definitions all go "please use this texture and shader etc for group number X" so it matters a lot which one is which -- when you'd swap e.g. a dropshadow group with a window frame group, the result would be a solid rectangular frame with a shadowy black-ish .. cloud .. thing .. in front .. not really what you want I suppose =P.