Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Canning Station Overhaul [UPDATE: Aug 2 2016]

by Butterbot Posted 28th Jul 2016 at 10:34 AM - Updated 28th Apr 2018 at 5:06 AM by Butterbot : Content

207 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 109 Feedback Posts, 97 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 9
Top Secret Researcher
#101 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 12:03 AM Last edited by MiniMimi : 12th Aug 2016 at 12:23 AM.
I don't use the produce stand, I use Ani's savvy seller. I put down a special stand, Ani's cash register and put the jars and candles directly on the stand, the jars / candles are swiped out when bought and a small price tag remains. Here's a pic:
You can see my bee family sim selling her husband wares. The thing is that I only sold 3 kind of items: finished candles, candles in a jar and jars of honey. So imagine my surprise when I discovered a family with jars of jams in their inventory. The candles and candles in a jar are fine though, they even had retained their (bad) quality.
Edit: err I'm unable to attach second pic of the jars changed in basic jam, will retry later lol
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#102 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 12:46 AM
@MiniMimi

Sorry for the misunderstanding; you wrote "thanks to the ani's stands" so I assumed the Ani's Produce Stand was at issue.

Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
[...]thanks to the ani's stands the canned jars are slowly taking over the city. One thing I noticed though is that any jar bought becomes a basic jam jar when I play a family that bought one, even if it was honey etc... Dunno if anyone reported that. (no, they were not restocked or anything)

Savvier Seller doesn't fully support canning station jars at this time, even the unmodded EA ones. It is not a bug with the Canning Station Overhaul itself.

Also, it might be useful to double-check that restock is indeed disabled for the table in your screenshot. The "small price tag" is a placeholder object used for restocking, and usually doesn't appear if restock is disabled, if I recall correctly from playing with Savvier Seller several months ago.
Top Secret Researcher
#103 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 1:01 AM Last edited by MiniMimi : 12th Aug 2016 at 2:55 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Butterbot
@MiniMimi
Sorry for the misunderstanding; you wrote "thanks to the ani's stands" so I assumed the Ani's Produce Stand was at issue.
Savvier Seller doesn't fully support canning station jars at this time, even the unmodded EA ones. It is not a bug with the Canning Station Overhaul itself.
Also, it might be useful to double-check that restock is indeed disabled for the table in your screenshot. The "small price tag" is a placeholder object used for restocking, and usually doesn't appear if restock is disabled, if I recall correctly from playing with Savvier Seller several months ago.

yes restock is disabled, those price tags are still generated; hmm I remember the settings are a bit misleading, will try the other settings for the restock.
I was just in my game and sent one of my actual rotation family sim to a home with those bought jars and 'stole' one; back at home the jar color is the basic red jam - yet the hover text says 'honey' and when spread it's the red jelly!
Ah okay, it's odd that the produce stand manages to retain those informations but not the savvy seller. I love my stands as they are and love seeing them being emptied in a couple of hours, the produce stand have no visuals Maybe if I have a real farmer sim I'll have enough stock for spares to decorate the produce stand then I'll use them.
Thank you for the explanation though <3
Edit: FYI I just sent a sim sell a couple of knick-knacks on the savvy stand and both settings generate the price tags, whatever..
Field Researcher
#104 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 6:50 PM
MiniMimi: Thank you for letting me know. I will have to wait until I get and install the rest of the expansion and stuff packs (I have the base game, World Adventures, and High-End Loft Stuff) to see if I need to reinstall the Bohemian Garden Set and the other two sets or not. If I need to, I will uninstall and reinstall them. I also like what you do with the cookie jars in the game.

Butterbot: I agree: gardening in real life can be long and hard (my yard is really big, and it takes three hours to mow and weedeat it). But gardening in The Sims 3 is fun. I also like having my sims go to the beach or to museums (my game has art, history, science, natural history, and gem museums, so they have plenty of museums to choose from when they want to go to the museum). I like having them do other stuff, too, like go on vacation.
Instructor
Original Poster
#105 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 12:31 AM
@MiniMimi

yes restock is disabled, those price tags are still generated; hmm I remember the settings are a bit misleading, will try the other settings for the restock.

Or maybe I didn't remember correctly--Savvier Seller's settings can be really confusing sometimes...

I was just in my game and sent one of my actual rotation family sim to a home with those bought jars and 'stole' one; back at home the jar color is the basic red jam - yet the hover text says 'honey' and when spread it's the red jelly!

It looks like the canning station jar correctly kept its "honey" attribute, but somehow the incorrect textures are associated with the jar and the resulting toast after going through Savvier Seller. Can you try clearing the game's caches to force the game to regenerate them and replace potentially outdated textures? If you can report back the results (whether the purchased jars now show the correct textures--note that you might have to buy some new jars of honey to see the change), that would be really helpful. Here's how to delete the caches (assuming you're on Windows):

If you're playing in Sunset Valley:
1. Go to "\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3" folder.
2. Delete compositorCache.
3. Close the folder and start the game.

If you're playing in a world other than Sunset Valley:
1. Go to "\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\WorldCaches" folder.
2. Delete "Name of the world you're playing".objectcache.
3. Close the folder and start the game.

Not sure this will work, but it's simple to do and worth a try.

Also, three questions:
1. Which version of the Savvier Seller is running in your game?
2. Were the problematic honey jars purchased autonomously by NPCs or by active sims you were controlling?
3. Is the game running in a non-standard environment, such as a virtual machine?

Thanks!
Top Secret Researcher
#106 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 2:37 AM
I’m playing in Sunset valley, deleted its world caches; needed to refresh a bit anyway.
1. It’s the V5, grabbed it at Nrass. Doesn’t seem to have an update.
2. The problematic jars were bought autonomously by inactive sims while I was selling them with Bessie Clavell using a savvy stand. I don’t know how to set it up otherwise yet, I’m still trying out the different mods
3. Plain Windows 7 64 bits. My game is heavily modded: Awesomemod since dawn of time, maintenance mods from Nrass like overwatch, Master controller, Error trap. A gazillion of small fixes and a truckload of mods and CC. No Story progression mod since I rotate.
Back from testing after deleting the caches. Just to be sure I went in and stole another of those bought jars, it turned into normal jam even though the jar hover text clearly stated it’s honey of perfect quality. Then I changed to the Clavell family, made a fresh batch of jars of honey and sold them using the savvy stand in town. Wrote down the name of those of bought them and changed to them when the sales was over. Those who hadn't eaten it yet had a yellow jar in their inventory stating it honey of perfect quality but all transformed to normal red jam when using it.
It’s sad but I may have to use the ani’s produce stand to sell any canned jars and keep the savvy stands to sell the rest. Next step in test will be for next generation sims: a farmer with the store dairy coral set selling bottles of milk (thanks to cinderelli’s mod) and jars of condensed milk. And another sim who will make jams of various fruits and veg he'll grow in his garden! :P
Instructor
Original Poster
#107 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 6:47 PM
@MiniMimi

Thanks for the detailed reply and for trying out the cache deletion.

This is rather interesting as my setup is broadly similar to yours, aside from the smaller CC/mods, with one significant difference: I don't have Awesomemod.

In my game, when the active sim buys a jam jar via Savvier Seller, the jam functions normally, as expected. When an NPC autonomously purchases a jar via Savvier Seller, the seller household gets credited the price of the jar, but the NPC doesn't actually get it in their inventory. I suspect this is due to the lack of support for canning station jars in Savvier Seller. So I'm very intrigued that the NPCs in your game actually have the purchased jars in their inventories, albeit in an altered form; I wonder if Awesomemod has got something to do with this, seeing that it's a core mod and works in mysterious ways...

Well, at least the Produce Stand seems to sell jam jars properly, so there is a way for everyone to enjoy toasts + scones in town.

Given the retail mods available at this time, there seems to be two approaches:

a) If you primarily want to sell canning station jars for income, enjoy the more realistic shopping experience in Savvier Seller, and don't mind that the NPCs wouldn't have proper jam jars: use Savvier Seller.
b) If you prefer the canning station jars to be owned and potentially used by NPCs after purchase, and don't mind foregoing the shopping experience offered by Savvier Seller: use Produce Stand.

These are only suggestions, of course, as I do not claim to support third-party mods.

Hope this helps!
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#108 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 7:19 PM
Ha! Yes maybe it's Awesomemod's doing: one of its features is to protect the NPCs' inventories (& the household fridges) which are constantly destroyed in a vanilla game (and filled with random crap!).
Yup, for any canning stations jars I'll be using the produce mod and I'll keep using the savvy stands for the rest; it's indeed the best way to do it Your special recipes are so neat it would be a shame to have them revert to that boring red jam! <3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#109 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 5:23 AM
Thank you! I want to use the canning station so badly, but it's so glitchy that it's basically useless once the jam is made. Hopefully now my Sims can enjoy jam!
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator THANKS POST
#110 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 5:26 PM
Fantastic work!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#111 Old 8th Sep 2016 at 11:33 PM
This is great - thank you! I've never really used the canning station and now I will!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#112 Old 11th Sep 2016 at 8:03 PM
Hiya. Really fantastic mod, thank you! I scrolled through the comments and dont think anyone asked this, where did you get the white shelves? Are they from an expansion or CC? I'd love them for my sims cellar
Instructor
Original Poster
#113 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whispersftly79
I scrolled through the comments and dont think anyone asked this, where did you get the white shelves?

Thanks for the kind words!

The white shelves are by Lisen801: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=478549

For use in these screenshots, I've modded them to have more slots (so that they can hold more than 3 objects) and to be moveable up the wall at a greater height (the original version cannot be shifted more than about 3/4th of the the way up). I did not seek permission from Lisen801 prior to making these customizations as they were intended strictly for my own use, so I cannot share the modified shelves at present.

That said, the original version of these shelves is still very useful, not to mention good-looking, and would likely be a great fit for your cellar as well.
Mad Poster
#114 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 6:41 AM
I've had my sims make food preserves in my Deery Meadows legacy and they had preserves of meals for the winter though it wasn't used until spring when their ingredients ran out and their leftovers got eaten.This Mod saved my sims from starving to death and will help save lives in Storybrook County where I'm playing a 100 baby challenge set in the 16th century.Winter is about to arrive there and they need food preserves to keep the from starving in the spring.
Test Subject
#115 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 4:59 PM
Default Candy Bars!
So I placed some cocoa in to the canning station, selected "Make Preserves" and then went to the jars in my sim's inventory and saw they were labeled "Chocolate" I decided to open them expecting to just get cocoa but instead I got a candy bar! Yes, an actual edible candy bar. I'm not sure if this is a feature of the mod or the original canning station itself but I saw nothing about it in any of the descriptions. I thought it was pretty cool and had to share in case others didn't know you could do this.
Instructor
Original Poster
#116 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 11:03 PM
@whispersftly79

Quote: Originally posted by whispersftly79
So I placed some cocoa in to the canning station, selected "Make Preserves" and then went to the jars in my sim's inventory and saw they were labeled "Chocolate" I decided to open them expecting to just get cocoa but instead I got a candy bar! [...] I'm not sure if this is a feature of the mod or the original canning station itself [...]

Good find! This is a feature of the original canning station.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#117 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 7:22 AM
This is beyond amazing. Thank you so much. This makes the Canning Station way better and is perfect for the kinds of Sims I like to play!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#118 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 2:12 AM
Love love LOVE this!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#119 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 10:31 PM
This is so cool! Perfect for "old-fashioned" worlds and gameplay. I can't wait to make a million candles because I love those little things.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#120 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 5:35 AM
ty so very much :) has been tested and works :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#121 Old 1st Nov 2016 at 7:57 PM
nice additional feature
Test Subject
#122 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 4:17 PM
@butterbot

Apologies if you have answered this before. Do you have a tutorial or reference you could point to for adding to this mod. I am marginally familiar with xml mods having done a small amount for another game. I only recently purchased S3, and have not yet tried creating mods. I have all the current CCLoader custom food mods installed and would love to be able to make use of some the food ingredients therein with this mod. Here are some examples of what I am thinking:

Strawberry - Obviously Jam
Bell Pepper - Rename Preserved Bell Pepper to Pickled Pepper
Chick Pea - Hummus
Colossal Olive - Tapenade
Corn - Cream Corn
Corn - Preserved
Black Beans - Refried Beans
Asparagus - Either Preserved or Pickled, probably pickled
Instructor
Original Poster
#123 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 8:29 PM
@edwardgr

Scripting changes would be required to add ingredients; editing the XML alone is not sufficient. There's no tutorial specific to adding ingredients to this mod, as EA's design does not make this possible without decompiling the .dll and editing the canning station's code. There are a number of scripting tutorials on MTS that cover that topic better than I can, if you're so inclined.

Also, by default, the canning station can make strawberry jam if Bohemian Fruit and Nuts from the Store is installed. The canning station itself came with harvestable corn and cucumbers, so preserved corn should already be available as well.

Hope this helps.
Lab Assistant
#124 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 5:54 PM
Thanks for the amazing mod, I'm going to try it as soon as I get a quick help with something you mentioned about the Storefix: I'm a total noob with S3PE, so how do I change de OBJD for it to work with your mod? A step-by-step or link to a tuto would be really nice!
Instructor
Original Poster
#125 Old 10th Nov 2016 at 1:05 AM
@Akin_

Take a look at these two earlier comments: here and here.

Hope this helps!
Page 5 of 9