Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2019 at 2:47 AM
Default Which Nvidia Graphics Settings do you use?
What settings do you use in the Nvidia control panel?

Here I mean:

Is it reluctant to have edge smoothing enabled in the game if I have antialiasing turned on in the Nvidia control panel?

These are vanilla and unedited using the above settings (no graphical mods, no Reshade). I'd like to have it as best as it can before I start fiddling with Reshade etc.

Bridgeport
Little bit blurry looking buildings
Even more blurry looking buildings with a Better Call Saul reference?

But why do the shells look so blurry though?

Btw, I prefer graphics above all, so performance hit won't bother me.

I like to see pics from your game as well so feel free to attach as many as you like.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2019 at 7:30 AM
Okay, I tried with anisotropic filtering off, with 16x, and reflection set only to mirror:

Anisotropic Filtering Off
Anisotropic Filtering 16x
Mirror only reflection

The only difference I can see is that with 16x Anisotropic Filtering the colours get darker somehow. I don't mind if the reflections on water are not accurate, mirror only reflection looks odd to me now since I'm so used to having super water reflections on.

What does your water look like?

Alright, I guess I'll download Nvidia Inspector as well!
Inventor
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2019 at 8:03 AM Last edited by Naus Allien : 23rd Jan 2019 at 8:18 AM.
You shouldn't be FORCING any settings other than Anisotropic Filtering and Ambient Occlusion (though AO has some serious glitches, especially related to pets' fur). The rest leave it as "Global Setting" or "Application Controlled."
I have setting maxed out, shadows 4K, bloom disabled and AF 16x forced on.

This is what my game looks like:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Jan 2019 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
You shouldn't be FORCING any settings other than Anisotropic Filtering and Ambient Occlusion.
[/spoiler]

Why is that?

My game seems fine and the screenshots on my first post are my current settings. And most of them only give ON or OFF option. Only a few can be chosen to be 'Application Controlled'.

@nitromon

Ah, I see. I will keep this water issue back in my mind if I ever happen to start paying attention to it.

Haven't had a chance to get Inspector yet, but on the regular Nvidia Control Panel, I have an option for LOD bias which is on Allow. Very curious to see what Inspector has to offer, been reading Forcing AO on thread and then pretty much every single thread that was linked to it etc. and I ended up tweaking GraphicsRules.SGR a ton and finally I made my frames to drop. Unfortunately, I couldn't spot any graphical improvements, just occasional drop to 40 frames per second so guess I'm removing most of my tweaks.

Now I am confused, Do people run Nvidia Inspector and Reshade at the same time?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Jan 2019 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Yes. I saw it in your screenshot. I'm surprised there isn't a LOD bias option in the CP b/c what you just mentioned is allowing "negative" LOD bias, which is what you do need because it is "-1.5" not positive. If it lets you allow it, it should have a place where you can enter the number.

That's what is confusing me but I got Inspector now. I have a hard time seeing any difference though (aside from colours) and I don't think I got AO to work. My sims don't cast shadows on walls. I'm going to leave these settings on as I didn't detect any performance drop. OFF vs ON

In your other post you recommend:
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Nvidia Quality Upscaling
With quality 5 or below, you can only turn this on. Basically, it keeps the scale at 1 for rendering instead of shrinking it. If you have a better card, you can set this factor to 2x, 3x, 4x, or higher. I forgot what it was called.

(Go down to Other)
* Nvidia Quality Upscaling = 0x00000001

Where could I set the upscaling factor?
https://i.imgur.com/kHCr2QI.png
https://i.imgur.com/dBzOJD0.png
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 8:54 AM
Thanks heaps for all this info.

Oh, I thought sims were supposed to cast soft shadows as per the 1st post of the AO thread. Guess I'm good then. I suppose after reading these threads there was an update that made the AO effect weaker so maybe that's why I'm not getting the same effect.

My card is 1080, and it is not supported for Dynamic Resolution. Shame. I was curious to see the differences.

There is this one very annoying water issue that I can't fix any other way than putting reflection quality to mirror.
You can see the issue with the bridge in the bottom left corner.
This pic was taken with default settings. No tinkering with Nvidia CP nor Inspector.
Looks worse with a weather mod.
Looks the worst during rainy weather.

I do remember always having this problem, no matter what pc I was using.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 9:02 AM
Does it do it even if the reflection quality has been changed to mirror only?

Hold on, let me take a shot with mirror only settings.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 9:09 AM
The bridge looks okay with mirror only: https://i.imgur.com/e9O9n0U.jpg

Guess I need to zoom in closer.

Edit: Yes, dammit. Hhmm, seems like the glitch tolerates straight shapes better than organic.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 9:32 AM
Ahh, so it's a 'feature' and not a bug. We don't have those with TS3, naturally.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 10:34 AM
It did fix the issue but everything started to look, well, flat. So weird water it is.