Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 8:34 PM
Default Too Ugly to Live In.
One good thing about living in an ugly house is that you don't have to look at it
except maybe when you're mowing the lawn or coming up the drive.

Anyway, I was googling buildings yesterday and came across some awful places,
and it occurred to me that we've all come across buildings like that while googling, or even walking in our neighborhoods.

So I thought I'd start a thread for ugly structures. Surely, ugly is in the eye of the beholder,
but I'm guessing over half of our contributions will sit uncontested.

Here's my first contribution:

Is it just me, or is that house butt ugly?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 9:27 PM
It's adorable! In a tacky, 1950's kinda way.
But this is an awesome idea for a thread, so long as it doesn't get rude/offensive. I'll have a look and see what I can bring to the metaphorical table.
Scholar
#3 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 9:38 PM
I've got one(ish):
The average American 'McMansion'
I don't mean to offend anyone, but you very rarely see a 'McMansion' that has genuine architectural beauty/integrity. Some are nice, but then they look like every other house in their subdivision...
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 9:47 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 16th Jun 2014 at 1:33 AM. Reason: deleted some. i was too loud.
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind

I don't mean to offend anyone, but you very rarely see a 'McMansion' that has genuine architectural beauty/integrity.
Some are nice, but then they look like every other house in their subdivision...

I sooooo agree. I find them most of them graceless and overbearing. We have a section in one of our hills where all the houses are like that.
It's like the architects took a little from everything that was good, and put it all in one place...but more of it, and....bigger, heavier.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 4:58 AM Last edited by r_deNoube : 16th Jun 2014 at 6:16 AM. Reason: Illustrate.
Oooh! I have to find photos of modern houses built after the Oakland Hills Fire. A whole huge neighborhood with terrific views (i.e. high property values) had to be rebuilt, some of the homeowners had excellent insurance that would finance it, and it is said there was not nearly enough good taste to go around. I have seen a house there with stacks like a steamship. There must be photos! I will try to find some.

EDIT: Success! I took Google Street View around the fire zone and found a few houses that were reasonably heinous, but then -- jackpot! The Ship Stack House itself. For sheer barrel-chested arrogance, you just can't beat it.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
EDIT: Success! I took Google Street View around the fire zone and found a few houses that were reasonably heinous, but then -- jackpot! The Ship Stack House itself. For sheer barrel-chested arrogance, you just can't beat it.

omg. That's awful. Somebody should make that for the Altos.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 1:22 PM
Ooooo. I found another one!

I think my distaste for this house might have more to do with colour and trim choices than with its proportions.
I OMG-ed quite loudly when I first saw it, but for some reason, it no longer strikes me as horrifically ugly.
Screenshots
Scholar
#8 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 7:45 PM
I can't say I have any strong feelings either way for it. But I will say that I stumbled across a very similar home in one of the community threads a while ago, I knew I'd seen it somewhere before, and it was here. I suppose it just goes to show how different people's tastes are.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 8:10 PM
I can't say I have any strong feelings either way for it. But I will say that I stumbled across a very similar home in one of the community threads a while ago, I knew I'd seen it somewhere before, and it was here. I suppose it just goes to show how different people's tastes are.

I have a tendency to feel strongly about things initially. But then as I ponder them or become accustomed to them, my opinion usually mellows.
For this reason, I don't think there's any music, colour, or fashion out there that I can claim to hate.
I'm actually starting to see possibilities in this house, for instance.

But that's me; I'll say I hate something,
but I end up liking it, so I really should stop using the word.

Well, except for evil stuff and people who bully, assault, or otherwise harm or hurt people and animals.
(heh. sounds like a disclaimer, don't it.)

I guess I mean that I'll never learn to tolerate mean people, which is way off the subject, so

nevermind.
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#10 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 1:32 PM
I guess finding a building ugly is as subjective as finding a painting or a sculpture ugly, but it also has the plus that it was made for a purpose and maybe that horrible part that you hate has a meaning and it wasn't possible to do it any other way. There's also these architects that go just for the form (I guess they didn't hear that of 'form follows function') and those are architects that people just LOVE or HATE (e.g. Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid...).

I personally hate Calatrava's work, I find it all the same, either looking like fishbones or like Darth Vader's helmet. But then there's people who would pay a fortune to have 'a Calatrava' in their town.

I guess when they start building my designs many people will hate them too, but that's the amazing thing about people, we are all different and have different opinions

Here I leave you a building by Calatrava... or is it the brood of Predator and a whale?

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Instructor
#11 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 12:02 PM
The funny thing about terribly ugly homes is that they are still kinda fun to build.

Still hafta do the bedrooms and the bathrooms. Though I'm pretty sure it's not share-able in the current form, as the roof piece above the front door maybe unsupported and will probably shift somewhere weird when I try to move it.
Scholar
#12 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:21 PM
Let us know how it turns out with the roof. It'd be a shame if it wasn't uploaded.
Theorist
#13 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
Ooooo. I found another one!

I think my distaste for this house might have more to do with colour and trim choices than with its proportions.
I OMG-ed quite loudly when I first saw it, but for some reason, it no longer strikes me as horrifically ugly.

OMFG, someone IRL forgot to turn CFE off.
The sad part about this, is that it resembles a large number of MTS uploads.
As well as uploads pretty much everywhere else, to be fair.

(Why isn't the pic inside the quotes showing?)
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
OMFG, someone IRL forgot to turn CFE off.

Whatchoo got against cfe?

I luvs me some cfe. I would have sex with cfe if it let me.
Theorist
#15 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:30 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Aug 2014 at 9:09 AM.
Whatchoo got against cfe?

I luvs me some cfe. I would have sex with cfe if it let me.

I love CFE as well, and would smoke it if it let me.
I Googled that house image and luckily it appears to not be real. It's just a picture on one of those sites that sell home plans - an "artist's conception", if you will. I knew it looked photoshopped.
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#16 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 2:56 AM
@tsyokawe: Don't ask me why, but for some reason i read your comment with a Scottish accent lol
@ScaryRob: I for example don't have the same taste for Sims houses and RL houses, so I find the house tsyokawe pointed kind of appealing for the game, but not for real life. Maybe it's because it's a render and not an actual photo that makes me see it for TS

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I Googled that house image and luckily it appears to not be real. It's just a picture on one of those sites that sell home plans - an "artist's conception", if you will. I knew it looked photoshopped.

Yeah, the first image I put up isn't a photograph, either.

Quote: Originally posted by Vampire_aninyosaloh
Don't ask me why, but for some reason i read your comment with a Scottish accent lol

Oooh, probably my favorite accent in the whole world. :lovestruc
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:57 PM
Default geeZUS
Screenshots
Scholar
#19 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 1:36 PM
I'm trying to see the best in that house. It has some nice features... But.. It... Just... Uhmm... Doesn't work in its current format.
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 6:32 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 30th Aug 2014 at 1:53 AM.
I thought I loved CFE as much as the next person; clearly this isn't the case.

I'm laughing so hard, I've started to honk.
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 8:58 PM
Actually, I think this house is attractive...it's what they've done to it that just grosses me out.

It's like some skin disease or something...
Screenshots
Scholar
#22 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 3:41 PM
It's like some skin disease or something...

Looks to me like they're trying to conjure Satan...
Banned
#23 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vampire_aninyosaloh
I guess finding a building ugly is as subjective as finding a painting or a sculpture ugly, but it also has the plus that it was made for a purpose and maybe that horrible part that you hate has a meaning and it wasn't possible to do it any other way. There's also these architects that go just for the form (I guess they didn't hear that of 'form follows function') and those are architects that people just LOVE or HATE (e.g. Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid...).

I personally hate Calatrava's work, I find it all the same, either looking like fishbones or like Darth Vader's helmet. But then there's people who would pay a fortune to have 'a Calatrava' in their town.

I guess when they start building my designs many people will hate them too, but that's the amazing thing about people, we are all different and have different opinions

Here I leave you a building by Calatrava... or is it the brood of Predator and a whale?

5 million disagrees. THAT piece of architecture is the new design for the WTC PATH station. To call that ugly is like someone punching your sainted mother. (nerdcubed quote)
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 10:05 PM
ooooooo. I think we should have a purple house contest.

Page 1 of 5