Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 3:09 PM
Default Bump map issue on new mesh
Hi,

I've created a new mesh clothing with TSR Workshop based on a swimsuit. The problem is that it still uses the swimsuit's bump map...

I know in TSR3 the bump maps are linked to the mesh, but how can I change the bump map for this mesh?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Mother Function
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:08 PM Last edited by daluved1 : 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:19 PM. Reason: Typos...
I don't know if it was here or on the modding discusion thread, but I saw someone (I think RoguePilot?) had made an entirely new non-default bump map. He wrote steps on how to do it, so might you want to thumb through the forums until you find it.

If you don't mind replacing the bumpmap completely, then simply change the existing bumpmap to all grey. Use Sim3PE or Postal and search through fullbuild2 until you find the bumpmap of the mesh you want to use.

Also this thread might help:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=355784

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:12 PM
It was actually Shep who figured out the non default bump-map, and it kind of involves creating a non-default mesh in the process. Shep just didn't spot what he had done.

As I produce a new Mesh now, I tie it to a flat bumpmap so that anyone can re-texture without the hassle.

But in the meantime I have been using default flat bumpmaps for all of my creations. The detail in the texture more than makes up for the lack computer generated shading.

Bumpmapping is a very fine balance between art and science and if you dabble in it you usually end up making things look worse, not better.

Something, something, something, Darkside
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:43 PM
Thanks. I haven't used these programs yet, but I'll give it a try.
Alchemist
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:23 PM
The TGI (hex numbers) for the bumpmap texture is in a table at the end of the GEOM. If you create a new bumpmap texture and change the reference in the GEOM to the new values, you can use a new bumpmap.

I know how to do this with MilkShape and with a hex editor, but you'll have to ask TSR if they can do it with their workshop tool.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#6 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info Wes, i'll have a look at it!