Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 3:42 AM Last edited by NewSimmer : 4th Nov 2014 at 3:43 AM. Reason: the thing lists which games i have but that list is no longer accurate - i have UC

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can't open University Households with Ultimate Collections
I downloaded and installed the Ultimate Collection, and everything seems to be working great EXCEPT my Uni lots. I can get into the Uni hood and select a household to play, but it will not move past the loading screen. For some households, all the columns will light up, but it won't actually open the lot, and for others, it will stop in the middle. (Usually the same household will get to the same place even through multiple trials.) I have only had the game actually crash once; all the other times I had to close the window manually or even do a hard reboot on my computer! I have waited for it to move into the lot for upwards of half an hour several times, with no luck. I have deleted my groups.cache and accessories.cache files, taken out suspected custom content, and taken out my entire downloads folder (and turned off whatever custom content was NOT in that folder!?? Why would anything be anywhere else!?), and nothing has solved the problem. Does anyone have any more ideas?

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 3:57 AM
Do you have any custom content? If you do make a back up and a test hood, remove your content and see if the uni there works as it should.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you have any custom content? If you do make a back up and a test hood, remove your content and see if the uni there works as it should.

I cut out my entire downloads folder and it still didn't work.

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 5:20 AM
Content can also be hiding in saved sims if you have downloaded any sims with custom content.

Did you test in a test hood with a fresh uni and new sims?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 5:28 AM
Content can also be hiding in saved sims if you have downloaded any sims with custom content.

Did you test in a test hood with a fresh uni and new sims?

I'm not even totally sure what all those words mean. Do I need to create a custom hood - like, on the Veronaville/Strangetown/etc. level?

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 6:00 AM
Click make a hood, (blank custom hood) click make a uni then make a student and try and move them in. Make a few of them and place in different dorms and houses. You can also try moving your real uni students back to the bin and try another lot. If you have already pulled your cc and tested with lots still crashing then it isn't your cc. I only say use a test hood because if you do it with your real hood you will lose the sims skin, eyes etc.

It could be you have corrupted sims or lots, have you done any of the VBT? Like delete sims, move occupied lots into the bin, moved sims between main hoods, deleted graves, used delete all characters, put in custom content that makes NPC's and removed it?

~Call me Jo~
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 10:59 AM
Before you try to load a uni lot, open the cheat console and type in boolprop TestingCheatsEnabled true - do any errors come up during loading? What happens if you click reset on the error (if it appears)? Could you go into the Logs folder in your My Docs/The Sims 2 folder and attach the latest file in there to this thread?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 8:24 AM
I created a new lot and a new university, and then I created some new students. I was able to move them in and follow them into the lot. (I only did this once in the test lot.) I found that this was true in my real Unis as well - if I create a new student and move them into an empty dorm, I follow them in as usual and everything is fine. However, I am still unable to open existing lots. I have to go to bed, so I can't do more testing right now, but I can attach the latest file(s) from my Log.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  latest files.zip (17.5 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Description: These are the latest 2 files in my Log.

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 8:31 AM Last edited by NewSimmer : 5th Nov 2014 at 8:42 AM.
It could be you have corrupted sims or lots, have you done any of the VBT? Like delete sims, move occupied lots into the bin, moved sims between main hoods, deleted graves, used delete all characters, put in custom content that makes NPC's and removed it?

Does VBT mean Very Bad Things? (I'm trying to tell if you're asking me if I caused the problem by doing these things, or if you're asking if I have considered fixing it by doing them.)

I have never deleted sims, used delete all characters, or put in any custom content that creates NPCs.

I think I have moved sims between main hoods and deleted a grave one time each, but it was YEARS ago and I think I got away without any major consequences. (And none of the sims involved in those incidents were connected to the current problem in any way I can think of.)

I have moved occupied lots to the bin once or twice, but that was also quite a while ago and not connected in any discernible way. (I didn't really start learning about the technical do's and don't's until recently!)

Now that I think about it though, I wonder if this is the issue. I have one* lot that I'm pretty sure is corrupted; although I'm not 100% sure what's wrong with it or how it got that way. This is the very first lot I created when I started playing 8 years ago, and it has been passed down through one family for several generations. I don't recall deleting a gravestone from this lot, but I'm definitely missing one, so I may have. It's a glitchy lot - whenever the family walks through/towards the front door, they freak out like they're seeing a ghost, except there's no ghost there (and it's the middle of the day), and the icon that appears in their queue is of a sprinkler. They also often have "misplaced movements" - e.g., sometimes when the kids are getting on the bus, they actually perform those movements in their living room, and then disappear when the bus pulls away. During these misplaced movements, they usually have their arms outstretched and overextended behind them - like if they were down at their sides, but then 15 degrees backwards. Although I can't get in to any Uni lot, I first noticed the problem when I tried to open the dorm containing a sim who recently moved to university from this glitchy lot. I moved her to college in my last sims binge, during which I also successfully opened and played some Uni lots, and I can't remember the timeline well enough to say for sure whether Uni stopped working before or after moving her in, but it's possible.

Of course, the most important thing that happened between when I know Uni last worked and now is that I uninstalled all my disc-based games and installed the Ultimate Collection that I downloaded when it was free. Everything else seems to be working after the installment.

Thank you both so much for your help! I really appreciate you bearing with me as I try to figure out all this technical stuff.

*Actually I have 2 buggy-as-heck lots, but only one with a connection(?) to the current problem. If anyone has any suggestions on how to debug though, I'd love to hear them.

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 11:50 AM
Not that log, sorry - I need the most recent ObjectError_Nxxx_xxxxxxx.txt.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Not that log, sorry - I need the most recent ObjectError_Nxxx_xxxxxxx.txt.

Oh dear. This is embarrassing. I do hope neither of you are under 18.

I actually remember the last time I used this object though, and it was not in a Uni lot or in the buggy lot that character came from.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  latest object error log.zip (25.5 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Before you try to load a uni lot, open the cheat console and type in boolprop TestingCheatsEnabled true - do any errors come up during loading? What happens if you click reset on the error (if it appears)? Could you go into the Logs folder in your My Docs/The Sims 2 folder and attach the latest file in there to this thread?

I tried the boolprop thing and stuff got REAL WEIRD. I did get an error during loading, and I tried pressing reset. It was only half an hour ago, but honestly, unfortunately, I don't remember if that worked or if it just came back over and over again until I pressed Cancel. Either way, I DID eventually get into the lot!!! Everything was ok for like a minute and a half, and then I started getting ALL KINDS OF ERROR MESSAGES. THINGS I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE. I took pictures of most of them. At first they were about cars(??? - there were two unique error messages referencing cars, which I don't have anywhere in my Uni hood), but then they were character errors. I only took one picture of a character error, but I got them for almost every sim on the lot (except, ironically, for the sim from the buggy lot that I thought might have caused the problem). I tried clicking reset on these character errors, but they were persistent, so I started clicking cancel. This stopped the same error from popping up again and again and again, but they did cycle through all the characters multiple times. But the WORST thing was the horror-movie/demonic possession stuff that went down on their faces!!! After each character error popped up, and I clicked to clear it, THEIR FACE WOULD DISAPPEAR FROM THEIR ICON ON THE LEFT. Their clothes and hair were still there, but their faces were gone (you can see this in one of the pictures).

I have attached one zip with the pictures, and the other has the last 15 or so error logs. Please tell me you know what this is. I'm scared.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  After I got into the lot logs.zip (4.33 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Description: These are the files from my Log that correspond to when my game was going all Exorcist on me.
File Type: zip  errors.zip (5.71 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Here are some pictures of some of the errors I got. These are not all of them, but I think they're representative.

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Theorist
#13 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 11:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NewSimmer
Does VBT mean Very Bad Things? (I'm trying to tell if you're asking me if I caused the problem by doing these things, or if you're asking if I have considered fixing it by doing them.)

I have never deleted sims, used delete all characters, or put in any custom content that creates NPCs.

I think I have moved sims between main hoods and deleted a grave one time each, but it was YEARS ago and I think I got away without any major consequences. (And none of the sims involved in those incidents were connected to the current problem in any way I can think of.)

I have moved occupied lots to the bin once or twice, but that was also quite a while ago and not connected in any discernible way. (I didn't really start learning about the technical do's and don't's until recently!)

The VBTs would be Very Bad Things which might have caused corruption. Doing any of the VBTs will not fix anything. Are you still playing the hood in which you moved sims between hoods, deleted a grave and/or moved occupied lots to the bin? Or are you playing a completely new hood in which you did none of those things? If you do any of the VBTs, the corruption can take a while to show up, and is often not obviously related to what you did.

Were you trying to have anyone travel anywhere during your last test, maybe via taxi? Did you have a remote-controlled anything on the lot?

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
The VBTs would be Very Bad Things which might have caused corruption. Doing any of the VBTs will not fix anything. Are you still playing the hood in which you moved sims between hoods, deleted a grave and/or moved occupied lots to the bin? Or are you playing a completely new hood in which you did none of those things? If you do any of the VBTs, the corruption can take a while to show up, and is often not obviously related to what you did.

Were you trying to have anyone travel anywhere during your last test, maybe via taxi? Did you have a remote-controlled anything on the lot?

I am still playing that hood, but it would have happened in the main hood, not the Uni hood. And again, it would have been VERY long ago - like 6 or 7 years ago, and for the most part, it works great. I have the two buggy lots, but even on them the problems are small enough that I can ignore them.

I didn't do anything during my last test. The errors/demonic possession happened so quickly that I couldn't do anything - I space-barred through a couple of characters and then it all started freaking out. So no, no one was traveling anywhere. I don't think I have a remote-controlled anything (you mean, like the remote controlled cars under play things, right? I don't think I have any on that lot, but it would explain the error messages I got!)

OH! Is it a VBT to spawn adult/elder characters on a Uni lot? It wasn't the lot of my last test, but I did that during my last Uni binge (I then moved them out of that lot and they are currently in the sims bin of my Uni hood).

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Theorist
#15 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 12:13 PM
The Uni hood is part of the main hood, not separate, so anything you did in the main hood would also affect the Uni hood. And it can take a while for the effects to show up -- some people lose everything within days, some people get years out of a corrupted hood before problems show up.

I do mean like the remote controlled cars that are under toys or electronics (I forget which), but you weren't using one. Hmmm... Do you have any cc items that move under their own power at all? Some examples I've seen are animals, balloons, boats, and bicycles. (And other things that don't start with B of course.) Anything that moves under its own power might have been cloned from the remote control car.

Adults and Elders are not supposed to be available in the sim bin of any Uni hood -- only YAs and (under very specific circumstances) Teens about to become YAs. So that might not be a good thing, but I'm not sure if it's a VBT. How did you spawn them?

Do you have a backup(s) of this hood? When is it/are they from?

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Nov 2014 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
The Uni hood is part of the main hood, not separate, so anything you did in the main hood would also affect the Uni hood. And it can take a while for the effects to show up -- some people lose everything within days, some people get years out of a corrupted hood before problems show up.

I do mean like the remote controlled cars that are under toys or electronics (I forget which), but you weren't using one. Hmmm... Do you have any cc items that move under their own power at all? Some examples I've seen are animals, balloons, boats, and bicycles. (And other things that don't start with B of course.) Anything that moves under its own power might have been cloned from the remote control car.

Adults and Elders are not supposed to be available in the sim bin of any Uni hood -- only YAs and (under very specific circumstances) Teens about to become YAs. So that might not be a good thing, but I'm not sure if it's a VBT. How did you spawn them?

Do you have a backup(s) of this hood? When is it/are they from?

To be clear, none of the sims on the lot were directed to use a remote control car and I don't recall that any of them were [I}when I selected them[/I]. However, there were a lot of sims on the lot, and it was going all haywire at the time, so it's not outside the realm of possibilities that someone, somewhere, on that lot, was indeed using a remote controlled car. I can try to get back in to double check if there is one there. I don't think I put one on that lot (that's not one of the things I typically equip my college students with in their dorms), but if it came with the lot or if I gave them one to alleviate a plummeting Fun drive, it is possible. I doubt it seriously, but it is possible.

I do have custom balloons and animals, but I doubt even more seriously that there were any of those on the lot. In fact, I don't think my custom animals have even made it back into my downloads folder since my second-to-last reinstall (I had to upgrade my computer that spring and reinstall my games, so I'm using the opportunity to weed out glitchy CC). I had several custom cars (but not on a Uni lot, obviously), but they were throwing errors so I think I took most if not all of them out of my game entirely. I can't think of anything else that I have/had anywhere in my game that would move autonomously, and certainly not anything that would appear on a Uni lot. My standard setup for a dorm room includes a bed and a desk (often from the grand trianon collection: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=76172&c=1), a dresser (Maxis places one in some rooms and I duplicate the same piece for every room), a night table (usually Maxis), an alarm clock (I can't for the life of me find the link but it's one where I can just set the time I want them to wake up instead of setting it for "morning" or "class"), a table (Maxis), a computer (Maxis), two chairs (Maxis or grand trianon), a bookcase (Maxis or an empty one, e.g., http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=386642, but I have several empty book case options), a desk locator (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=312004), and an easel (Maxis). I also often use an invisible table that I cannot for the life of me find so that I can put the desk locator "on" a one tile desk.

I spawned the adults and elders through the tomb of life and death. I used only Maxis-designed cheats to get them (boolprop --> spawn/Tombstone --> New [sim]). What I would like to do is move them into the main hood, but if that's impossible/inadvisable, I can just delete them from the sims bin. Do you think that would solve the problem?

I do have backups of this hood, but I'm not sure how much help they'll be. The latest one was after the last functional Uni binge (so it probably contains whatever the problem is), and the one before it may have been well before that binge (so reverting to this one would require a huge loss of storyline progress, so it's kind of a nuclear option). If it does come to restoring to a backup, is there a way to restore the Uni hood only, or would it have to be all the hoods? And it would have to be all of Veronaville, right, not just the Uni?

Thank you!!

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."