Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 12:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Default replacement skins and untouchable NPCs
I've been trying to puzzle out this issue for a while, and thought it wouldn't hurt to make a thread on it rather than posting it in the random thoughts thread.

After installing a default replacement skin, occasionally Sims still retain the original skin on their heads, creating what looks a bit like a tanline. The usual procedure to fix this is to either use the Batbox's Fix Tans or Burns, or change their appearance through a mirror or some number of mods. However, neither of these procedures would work with untouchable NPCs (Crumplebottom, Charlatan, Hot Dog Chef) at least without breaking things.

At some point, Mrs. Crumplebottom got fixed, but I'm not sure how it happened. Other NPCs still have the tanline, though, and it's starting to bother me a little bit.

Here's the break dancer:

Has anyone figured out a procedure for updating the skins on the universals?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I've been trying to puzzle out this issue for a while, and thought it wouldn't hurt to make a thread on it rather than posting it in the random thoughts thread.

After installing a default replacement skin, occasionally Sims still retain the original skin on their heads, creating what looks a bit like a tanline. The usual procedure to fix this is to either use the Batbox's Fix Tans or Burns, or change their appearance through a mirror or some number of mods. However, neither of these procedures would work with untouchable NPCs (Crumplebottom, Charlatan, Hot Dog Chef) at least without breaking things.

At some point, Mrs. Crumplebottom got fixed, but I'm not sure how it happened. Other NPCs still have the tanline, though, and it's starting to bother me a little bit.

Here's the break dancer:

Has anyone figured out a procedure for updating the skins on the universals?

Are you sure you don't have a 2nd set of defaults in your downloads folder?

You may have a badly made skin set.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 1:27 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 6th Dec 2018 at 3:13 PM.
No, only one set, SleepyTabby's Imperfection.

It's a known issue for pretty much any default replacement skin.

It properly updates itself on regular Sims when I either use the Batbox option or Change Appearance, but I can't do either of those on the untouchables.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 4:33 PM
Strange. I've got default replacements in my game, and they've always worked fine for all sims, including the 'untouchables'.
Have you tried deleting the cache files and maybe also the CAS thumbs?

Also, have you tried removing the default replacement skins to see if the problem sims go back to using the original maxis skins (and delete the cache files before going ingame)? If they don't, you may have some kind of bad skin (not neccessarily a default replacement).
Instructor
#5 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 4:33 PM
Have you tried using SimPE's Sim Surgery to reset their skin tones? Or would that break your hood?

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 5:20 PM
@simmer22 - I delete the caches pretty much every time I play. I haven't tried the CAS thumbs, though. I'll try that.

@monjit1 - I'm a little leery of touching them even with SimPE. I can never remember which ones actually have character files (even partial) and which are embedded in objects.package.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 5:39 PM
No, only one set, SleepyTabby's Imperfection.

It's a known issue for pretty much any default replacement skin.

It properly updates itself on regular Sims when I either use the Batbox option or Change Appearance, but I can't do either of those on the untouchables.

How about trying the defaults I use and then see if it does the same thing. You Are What You Eat http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...hp?topic=9469.0

I have never had any problems with these at all.

Give them a try and if you still have the problem then you have something in your downloads folder that is effecting the faces of sims.

I just went and looked at that set of defaults you use and I can see that on some of the shots you can see the head is a different color than the body but its backwards to your problem, lighter body darker head where as yours is darker body lighter head.
You can really see it on this toddler shot.

That leads me back to poorly made set of skins.
Screenshots

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
#8 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 5:53 PM
@simmer22 - I delete the caches pretty much every time I play. I haven't tried the CAS thumbs, though. I'll try that.

@monjit1 - I'm a little leery of touching them even with SimPE. I can never remember which ones actually have character files (even partial) and which are embedded in objects.package.

Now that I think about it, all the NPCs you listed might be universal NPCs. That still doesn't mean that they can't use default skins. Try removing the skins for your CC folder, deleting your cache, open the game, then reinstalling the default skins. Maybe that will reset something.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 6:34 PM
I'll give that a try later–I'd do it now, but I'm starting to get a headache. I wonder if it was one of my prior 50/50s that caused Crumplebottom to update.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 6:39 PM
Properly made default skins should show up on all sims including universal NPCs.

Like I said above, improperly made non-default CAS content can sometimes have settings that makes them show up on all sims. I've had this happen with hairs, where the scalp of one hair suddenly shows up for most males, and there's been clothes that do the same. Wouldn't be surprised if you have a bad skintone somewhere in your CC that causes this issue. This kind of faulty skin would most likely override a default override, and show up on a large number of sims, possibly of one particular skintone (S4 for instance).

Try taking out your default skins, and see if the faulty sims go back to the regular maxis skin (this is safe, shouldn't affect your game in any way, because most default skins are just texture overrides unless tinkered with otherwise).
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 7:45 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 7th Dec 2018 at 9:31 AM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
I just went and looked at that set of defaults you use and I can see that on some of the shots you can see the head is a different color than the body but its backwards to your problem, lighter body darker head where as yours is darker body lighter head.
You can really see it on this toddler shot.

This is a completely different issue. I use the same set of skins and have the same problem - I just don't let it bother me. The problem is not a "mis-match" between Sleepytabby's face skin and body skin at the neck seam as shown in Marka93's picture. The problem is that the face skin does not show up AT ALL on some sims until after using "change appearance" or Christianlov's skintone changer. The affected sims show up with Sleepytabby's skin on their bodies and the original Maxis skins on their faces. Newly spawned sims do not have this problem in my game - only sims that were already in the neighborhood before I started using these skins. In my game, I only see this problem on toddlers, adult males, and elder males.

Changing to a different set of skins is not an option for me. I use Sleepytabby's complete set of all 20 geneticized "Imperfections" skins and pulling all of them out would wreck the genetics in several of my neighborhoods. Besides, I LIKE the way these skins look. I can put up with a few wonky looking NPCs if I have to. It's annoying, but not so much so that it makes the game intolerable for me. I would love to have a fix for this glitch, but if no fix is possible I'll just live with it.
Alchemist
#12 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 8:04 PM
at least insimenator can change appearance of any on-lot character without selecting the character. I think the interaction is "Fix Appearance".
Sim Manipulator and/or Sim Blender might have an equivalent option.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 8:10 PM
Sheesh, I didn't realize that I was that bad at explaining the issue.

@mdsb759 - these are on untouchable NPCs, which I really don't want to mess around with.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 8:22 PM
You could use the townie gun to spawn a few extras of some of the untouchable but not universal NPCs from later EPs (charlatan, fire dancer, food judge, etc.). That way they might get used in rotation or randomly picked by the game, so you might see "good" NPCs more often than "bad" NPCs.
Alchemist
#15 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 8:30 PM
SimPE's Sim Surgery might be another safe method for the Non-Social NPCs.
and/or this site's Download section has a hack that can clone any character. http://www.modthesims.info/d/284572...e-selector.html

edit:: copying the neighborhoods to AnyGameStarter might be safe for the main game.
when you are done with whatever method/methods in AGS, copy the character files to equivalent main game locations.