Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 1:41 AM
Default What do you do? (Career/job/etc)
It has occurred to me that not all of us within the Simming community are students. I'm currently a full-time student in college and cannot fathom working at the same time. I'd love to hear what your career paths, jobs, or otherwise means for living are. If you're in uni like me, what's your major/degree?

/totally not hoping to get some career ideas that allow for optimum Simming hours from this thread

EDIT: Forgot to post my own path. My dream is something in entomology but alas, I am just studying for my associates in Science at the moment.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 2:00 AM
I've studied quite a bit of things, like art, 3D design/animation and photography - but weirdly enough ended up with a bachelor degree in nursing, so yeah... I slowly realized that while I like all the creative stuff, it would be hard making it into a career.

I've always been a medical geek, all the way from age 4-5 or so (my poor teddy bears and that MacGyvered doctor bag I had - and my lego hospital even had a very well equipped ICU, far beyond what most kids that age would've thought of. I also loved watching medical shows even before I was 10, so I guess that final career path isn't so weird after all), but the artist in me does get quite a lot of my spare time, even though the nurse in me pokes her head out while writing stories.
#3 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 3:07 AM
Right now, I'm studying Automotive Technology (basically how to be a mechanic), which I'm hoping to later transfer to Aerospace Engineering at another college. Career-wise, I want to be an astronaut, hence the engineering-heavy stuff, but right now I'm just looking for a job to build up experience while I study.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 10:15 AM
Currently have nothing beyond 3 years experience in an office training setting and half a semester of working in Publications for the Mukilteo school district. I was supposed to be working at the Payne Field Boeing plant, but when the economy tanked around 2008... Let's just say I was the last person out to turn off the lights before I could start. (In reference to an ad campaign. I never did get that job on the assembly line.)

Right now I want to focus on getting a degree somewhere where they don't poo-poo the anime and manga art style for being too "commercial". When they say such things, I am like "What the hell are you saying? Are you trying to set them up for success in a job or set them up for McDonald's because you are too busy to see the fact that such art styles are popular? Do I want to be your star pupil or some kind of snobby intellect?" (Very much aware just how underappreciated the arts are in America. I was a victim of such a system. I am also aware to some degree that fine art is just a tax scam at its most base.)

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Field Researcher
#5 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 12:29 PM
I can't find a job at McDonalds and don't even have a high school diploma, so I'm trying to get into freelance work. It's proving to be difficult when you're talentless lol.

Between you and me I wish I had taken my friend up on that offer to start stripping last month.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 12:59 PM
Can't find a job to save my life. Haven't worked 1 day since 9/2013.

Rob Riemensnyder is the biggest coward who ever lived. Stay away from him.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 9:56 PM
If my old college try fails, I still have my voice, I have a gimmick and a number of songs to work on. I always wanted to be a cover singer (cause the shit of music lessons cost extra and then was phased out, so I can't write original material.) And my only problem is I need a man who can sing the male vocals.

Either way, I have a backup...NODON'TBACKUP!

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 10:55 PM
Cook - see post http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=622744 for details.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 3:08 PM
I graduated with a Masters in Clinical Neuropsychology a few months ago. I currently work as a support worker for people with disabilities, and have done for almost 3 years now. It's good "experience" because it includes working with people with traumatic brain injuries, which is needed for me to apply for a PhD... but mostly because that's one of the only jobs for 20-something year olds in North Wales.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 3:56 PM
English Professor, Egyptologist, Audio Engineer.

Contrary to what some might think, I don't work all three at the same time. I'm currently on a hiatus from work after a stint in Egypt working and doing studies as the former two.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Alchemist
#11 Old 22nd Jan 2019 at 3:05 PM
Professional self-loathing. I don't get paid and it completely sucks, I'm trying to leave and get a proper job.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#12 Old 22nd Jan 2019 at 4:51 PM
I was an engineer for Megacorp. I did a number of things like audio, video, warning systems, testing and making Power Point presentations explaining exactly how previous designs were bad, why the certification of those designs were lies to the government, and telling customers how Megacorp products didn't work, they were falsely certified, and how they shouldn't be using them. I also pointed out how our operations committed actual felonies. It was shortly after the felony argument (I won, btw) that Megacorp convinced me to retire early.
I'd say more, but my retirement check still stays "Megacorp" on it.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jan 2019 at 7:42 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 25th Jan 2019 at 9:50 PM.
Prior to my office training...in junior year high school, I was a dishwasher. Worst part was when I couldn't keep up with the heavy flow of dirty dishes to the 3 compartment sink, the industrial dishwasher or the storage area. It was a game of Dirty Dish Jenga.

I got back at them by singing music from the Dr. Demento standards on the radio. My best song was "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" (oddly enough, a town in Washington State prohibits the poisoning of pigeons via noxious substances.)

Moral: Don't piss off the dishwasher. Dishwashers are the extremely most important member of the kitchen staff. Without a stream of clean dishes, you have no way of serving food.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 5:00 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 31st Jan 2019 at 5:30 AM.
Come to think of it, I want to do something arts-related as far as a career goes. But the only arts-related thing I have done in office training was contribute to the mural.

It started with me cartooning a Chain Chomp from the Super Mario series going after an accordion and Weird Al watching in horror. That was how I got roped into the mural, however, they asked me to tone down the details and make the art design like a simple drawing. Fair enough. Although I finished in time, I was sent a letter my office was closed due to lack of state funding. What a waste of energy when the resources couldn't support my efforts.

Currently, my only means of earning money is actually more of an allowance for the mere fact I exist. I get Social Supplementary Income and SNAP Food Benefits, but the latter was shut off due to the 5 week partial government shut down. Talk about whanging the government apart to get your way.

Lately, I am currently trying to get my appointments met for the annual Q1 appointments like for my eyes, organs and teeth but it's been put on hold for a couple more months. Once I get my appointments cleared, I'm restarting my job training. They can either give me a job upon passing the training or if I fail, I go out and get a job on my own volition to prove I actually learned something. The failure option is just our state's way of saying "Fuck it! I'll go my own way!"

Mad Poster
#15 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 9:33 PM Last edited by grammapat : 1st Feb 2019 at 2:57 AM.
I taught Dr.Ruth everything she knows. Seriously, is ANYONE answering seriously? I was a damn good mommy. And foster mom. Do have a degree. Was a social worker for 21 years. I now do I Ching readings and Reiki. I have trained the squirrels in my yard to sit up and beg for peanuts. GO ME!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Test Subject
#16 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 2:50 PM
I never know how to accuratly describe my job in English. Let me try... I'm an office clerk working for the nature conservation authority of a county's administration. *phew* My team does a lot of different things like governing landscape and nature reserves, making sure compensations for construction projects (from houses to wind turbines) are being claimed, supporting endangered species by adapting their habitat to their likings, prosecuting illegal activities where parts of nature were destroyed or affected... and so on.
I've been doing that for about 3 1/2 years now. I had no idea what the department was about when I joined the county administration. I've been an office clerk for about 8-9 years now including a 2 1/2 year long training. I started out in a very different field (legal department of a specialty chemical company) which I left when moving halfway across the country to be with my love. :lovestruc
It's common here to either study at a college or do a job training. I actually wanted to become a florist when I was back in school but the job is hard and the pay is bad. Being an office clerk is not my dream job but I'm really good at what I'm doing so I try to be creative in my free time. This includes creating my own little world in the Sims. :D
Alchemist
#17 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 3:09 PM
I now work at an Organ builder

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#18 Old 5th Feb 2019 at 4:46 AM
I was a medical transcriptionist until I blew out my wrists typing Doctorese into English. I was one of the best (was told by doctors I was - I was always trying to better myself at the trade), and it sucks sometimes that it's mostly EMR now, which has killed the industry.

Now I'm retired, and I spend most of my time cooking, taking care of my kiddo, the pets and crafting, when I'm not simming or lurking on MTS.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Mad Poster
#19 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 8:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I have trained the squirrels in my yard to sit up and beg for peanuts. GO ME!

Hey that's a pretty good feat. One step closer to being a ringmaster.

I wonder what being a ringmaster would be like. If I were ringmaster It would be of something like Twisted Metal. Not really the type of circus that involves peanuts at all. Ah... but that's a mere dream job.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#20 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickenMadam
I was a medical transcriptionist until I blew out my wrists typing Doctorese into English.

Probably would help if doctors were able to write in plain languge rather than Doctorese. I've read a lot of doctors' notes and release forms and whatnots, and sometimes you start wondering if they're no longer able to write in their original language, often using a lot of words and phrases that I with my nursing education haven't even heard of.

As an example, I had some of my nursing practice at a neurology unit, and I think the doctors used at least 5-6 different phrases for a stroke (most of them being the same version of a stroke) outside of the phrases we'd learned at school. Quite confusing in the beginning.

Some doctors are quite good around patients, using plain language and explaining things so the patient and everyone else can understand - while others sound and write like they swallowed the entire set of study books and never saw a single patient eye-to-eye.
Test Subject
#21 Old 12th Feb 2019 at 2:01 AM
I am a designer and some online tutorials are being prepared.
I have more than a dozen students in different regions.

Pic@ PINCLIPART

Field Researcher
#22 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Probably would help if doctors were able to write in plain languge rather than Doctorese. I've read a lot of doctors' notes and release forms and whatnots, and sometimes you start wondering if they're no longer able to write in their original language, often using a lot of words and phrases that I with my nursing education haven't even heard of.

As an example, I had some of my nursing practice at a neurology unit, and I think the doctors used at least 5-6 different phrases for a stroke (most of them being the same version of a stroke) outside of the phrases we'd learned at school. Quite confusing in the beginning.

Some doctors are quite good around patients, using plain language and explaining things so the patient and everyone else can understand - while others sound and write like they swallowed the entire set of study books and never saw a single patient eye-to-eye.

More like "stop dictating into their armpit during a party, stop dictating SOAP notes in a whisper, or dictating a colonoscopy's findings while eating lunch." XD
I once had a doc dictate an entire eye surgery in French; now eye stuff is hard enough in English. That rat bastard wasn't awake when he dictated it. He got charged twice - once for the French and once for the translated document. In his defense, he was a really nice guy who sent a sweet care package to me thanking me for my translation.

I've been around cardiologists since I was 3, due to family heart issues, and my mom was a phlebotomist, so I spent a lot of time reading her college texts as a preschooler. I actually did short order cook/McDonald's before I had a short "vacation" where I was taking care of my mental health and decided to take a few courses at a local trade school - the person teaching was also hiring. Medical stuff just came natural to me, so after the courses, I ended up working for them; left them after 3 years and went to work for straight cardiology practice (we worked on a lot of other disciplines at my first job, but cardiac care was my special interest), and then worked for a transcription company that did everything from DOD government stuff to Workers' Comp depositions to any and all forms of medical. I even typed up JAMA documents. It was a fun thing to do, and I do miss it.

I always used to joke that if you can understand Bob Dylan's singing or CCR's lyrics, you should work as a transcriptionist. It's something you have to have the ears for, first - the medical can always be taught.

I never did find out what "dist-a-fuh" meant, though. .. We had a doc that would use that as an "ummmm" we think. Never did ask him directly. XD (and it wasn't distal, or any other medical term. He was from the Middle East, so we thought it was some sort of word in his native language.)

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Mad Poster
#23 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 12:00 AM
I also worked as a teacher's aide in the special education classroom during junior year high school. I was paired to care for a small boy who could barely talk and when he talked, it was in Spanish. I essentially had to be both a translator and babysitter because he had a habit of wandering off.

We suffered from being on different points in the autism spectrum, but I felt this "blind leading the blind" nearly killed me. I almost had a bad panic attack along the lines of "The head teacher of the special education classroom is going to kill me!" But at least I have some other skills beyond what I told before.

Scholar
#24 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 7:15 PM
I'm a professional loser. I haven't worked since around 2001, and probably couldn't even get a job at a fast food place either since I dropped out of high school and have no real experience at anything. I also have no friends outside of the internet, have never had a girlfriend, and still live with my parents. So if anyone is looking for a professional loser, I have a lot of experience in that.
Space Pony
#25 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 10:33 AM
2nd grade instructor

Dag-Dag