Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:38 AM Last edited by hatabear : 29th Jun 2014 at 6:08 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Lags on HD 7970, sims 3 plays fine.
Hello, I recently upgraded to a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 3gb. While Sims 3 plays flawlessly, Sims 2 is lagging a lot. I downloaded the Graphics Rules fix from a thread on LeeFish,
I am playing at 1440x900.
Here are the rest of my specs:
4GB Ram
Intel Xeon x5550 @2.67 GHZ (I think I have two of these)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
-While this played fine without downloading the fix on a MSI GTX 660, why does it lag here?
In CAS it plays 60fps. But in-game it is about 20-30 fps ish.. On speed 3 it is around 10-25 fps.
Buy Mode and Build Mode are 30-40 fps. When idle on the game it's 60, but when I right click and move around, it drops 20~35 fps.
(Move the thread if necessary. Was confused where to put this.)
I only have Deluxe and University installed at the moment.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 1:32 PM
I don't know why your Sims 2 lags, but I can explain why Sims 3 runs better. Sims 3 was created after Sims 2, when windows 7 existed, and different hardware. It's made to cooperate with newer products, whereas sims 2 isn't.

Sims 2 is known to be fussy and having good speccs does not ensure it will run well. It might dislike your graphics card, or it might dislike some other piece.

So, performance of Sims 2 and Sims 3 can't be compared, and aren't really relevant to one another, because they were made in different times and have different requirements.

Also, it seems to me your list lacks information. When you made the post in this forum, it tells you what system speccs are required and what they are. Did you include everything it asked for?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 7:06 PM
Oh yeah, sorry. I have Catalyst driver 14.4 with, as I said, my Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB, OC edition. Anyway, thank you for the information.
Scholar
#4 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:47 PM
I'm bumping this thread instead of creating a new thread because I'm in a very similar situation.

My rig:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
8 GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon R7 260X OC 2 GB (Not sure about Catalyst version, I'm at work right now)
I have a dual boot. TS2 is on XP 32-bit, TS3 is on 8.1 64-bit.

At home or in a community lot without a pool, I get glorious 60 frames per second. On a community lot with a pool, my frame rate drops to the 20s.

Or is it because I have all the EPs and SPs and have everything maxed?

In before "TS4 doesn't have pools, so you won't have this problem".

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:57 PM
Do either of you have switchable graphics? You will have to manually set Catalyst to use your beefier graphics card for TS2 if so.

Are you using any water effect mods? Does the same thing happen with clean userfiles? Which EPs are you playing with - specifically, any post-Seasons (when the water was upgraded)?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#6 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Do either of you have switchable graphics? You will have to manually set Catalyst to use your beefier graphics card for TS2 if so.

Are you using any water effect mods? Does the same thing happen with clean userfiles? Which EPs are you playing with - specifically, any post-Seasons (when the water was upgraded)?

Mine is the only graphics card, I've got all EPs and SPs so that includes AL and M&G, which have higher system requirements, and I do not have any water effect mods.

3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 7:53 PM
I only have one graphics card. I noticed that in Brainania (Mootilda's University she made here on MTS), has flashing red birds. I removed CC but I wasn't able to get CEP extra objects out.
Game plays only a little bit better, and birds are still flashing red. My card is too powerful for TS2, yet flashing red is a sign of a struggling graphics card. Also, when I look in my PC's device config log, it says:
Name (database): AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
Scholar
#8 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 12:14 AM
Update: I added my card in the Video Cards.sgr and changed the maximum resolution to enable 1080p. I don't get the line saying my card isn't in the database any more.

Switching from 1080p to 720p doesn't make a difference, pools still cause frame rate drop.

My version of Catalyst is 2013.0906.1035.17096, the Direct3D version is 6.14.10.0963.

Instructor
#9 Old 14th Jul 2014 at 2:39 PM
hatabear, it sounds like you'll need to manually go through the steps outlined at Leefish, because the fix may not have contained your graphics card. Maybe trying the steps in kiri's old thread will help. I believe she mentions the changes she made to the logs in posts 1 and 6.

I remember doing it manually myself when I was setting up my graphics card (for no particular reason other than I wanted to know how), and I'm pretty sure I just did what she did in those two posts. If I remember anything else, I'll let you know. Hope it works out for you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jul 2014 at 5:38 PM
Thanks Sourpussy, but my problem was already fixed in Kiri's thread at Leefish (see here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthre...id=5446&page=34 )
Instructor
#11 Old 14th Jul 2014 at 7:02 PM
Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Scholar
#12 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:28 PM
So anything I can do short of switching to poop-looking lower settings, or is 60fps impossible in TS2?