Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 7:54 PM
Default Problems with female to male hair conversions
Hi. This is my first post on here so I'm a little nervous. Aside from that, I have a problem. I did some female to male hair conversions following thepathofnevermore/astraeanevermore's tutorial and everything showed fine in my game but when I went to send it into tsr and they tested it in their game there were some issues. (pictures below)

This is what they told me: The hair and the skin around the hair was showing some shading from the original male versions that were cloned.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 8:18 PM
I'm gonna join the thread and say that I had the very same problem with one of the hair meshes I converted when exporting the female lods and replacing male ones (+ textures) in the package. The hair would look very similar to the way it looks in the pictures posted above, and it would keep the same weird shadows in game as well For me, it was the a-line female hairstyle, which I was trying to convert to males.

One thing that I was just reminded of, though, brownieswife: did you also try to follow this guide here for gender conversions? I haven't tried that myself for my own buggy hair conversion, but I was now wondering if just changing the gender flags on the package instead of exporting and re-importing everything would fix the shadow issue!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 8:30 PM Last edited by brownieswife : 2nd Nov 2014 at 8:42 PM.
I'm looking at one of the CASP files in my long straight male hair and cannot find the AgeGender line at all.

Edit: or are you talking about doing the gender conversion swap on the original female hair and applying it to males? And would I have to do that for all hair colors? Then combine them as dbc? Sorry for all the questions.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by brownieswife
I'm looking at one of the CASP files in my long straight male hair and cannot find the AgeGender line at all

Can you post a screenshot of the Grid view of that? For those hairs where the scalp shape is the same for male and female, all you need to do is change that flag to unisex (i.e. a CASP override). I don't know whether that is the case with the hair shown in the screenshots though.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:09 PM
Sure.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:27 PM
What version of s4pe do you have there? o.O

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:44 PM
Well the folder containing s4pe says s4pe.0.1d

Based on your response I'm going to assume I have an older version..

Edit: just went to the s4pe website. Mine is super old. Downloading the new version now.

Another edit: checked the grid, agegender shows up this time. It's correct though, shows for male, t-e. What do i do if that's not the problem?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:56 PM
Yeah 0.1d is historical.

What shows the male flag value, your cloned hair? Well if you want to try Astraea Nevermore's suggestion, you would extract the CASP of the *original* (female) hair and edit the flag there, not clone the whole thing.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:00 PM
lol, thought as much. Yeah it's my cloned hair. I'll try Astraea Nevermore's suggestion. Doing that does mean that I have to do it for all 18 hair colors if I want them in my game though right?

And thanks so much for your help, same to you Astraea!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:03 PM
I'd try one colour first, to see whether or not that method works for this hair at all. If the scalp is different, you'd need to go back to cloning (you can still reference the textures though, the only thing that would need editing is the mesh (and probably not all of the LODs either).

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:09 PM
Tried the method. Hair didn't show up.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:15 PM
What exactly have you done, can you elaborate? Changing one flag should not make a hair disappear .. (In doubt try with the black hair, that one is for all archetypes)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:20 PM
I opened up colormagic, cloned the long straight black female hair, then opened it in s4pe, clicked on the casp file, clicked on grid, clicked on agegender and switched 2078 to 1078 then hit commit. I then ran Sims 4 and checked the male hair only to find it wasn't there. Maybe I should put 3 instead of 1?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:43 PM
Yes, 3 is unisex.

Also, are you cloning this as default override? (And remove everything but the CASP when youre done? You could also just extract the CASP from the game files directly .. but yeah, ColorMagic does the searching for you, so that might be convenient)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:46 PM Last edited by brownieswife : 2nd Nov 2014 at 11:17 PM.
Okay, I'll try 3 then. No I'm not cloning it as default, should I be? I feel so slow, lol. Like I'm missing something.

Edit: cloned as default, accidentally put 1 instead of 3 but it showed up with all colors. Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated. :D
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by brownieswife
accidentally put 1 instead of 3 but it showed up with all colors

But that would mean you have a male-only override now. Is that what you wanted? It needs to be 3 for the hair to be available for *both* genders.

Also, be aware that some colours have flags for archetypes and townierandomness set. If all you override is the black, then you'd lose these settings.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 12:28 AM
Oh no, I forgot to mention that I went in and changed it to 3. Sorry about that. So I do have to override each color, to avoid losing those settings?