Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:56 AM
Default Bump maps TS4
Hello guys,

I did some bodysuit retextures but the old bump maps are still showing up. And no these arent the spec files :0 Anyone already found out how to extract bump maps/to replace them or to deactive them? Thank you guys, this bump map issues are destroying every cloth rexture I make. Its getting annoying.

♘ visit my tumblr here
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:06 PM
No one ideas??

♘ visit my tumblr here
Test Subject
#3 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:24 AM
Did you ever sort this out?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 9:12 AM
Sort out what? Sry for my bad english hahah I dont really understand what you mean

. I looks like the package is still getting normal map/bump map informatin from the original clone in game. I dont know how to 'deactivate' it or to replace the bump/normal map. GUYSSS does nobody knows how to get the map or to replace it?

♘ visit my tumblr here
Test Subject
#5 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 9:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by trap lorde
Sort out what? Sry for my bad english hahah I dont really understand what you mean

. I looks like the package is still getting normal map/bump map informatin from the original clone in game. I dont know how to 'deactivate' it or to replace the bump/normal map. GUYSSS does nobody knows how to get the map or to replace it?

would you be happy sending me the package file to try figure it out?
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 9:44 AM
I've been looking at some stuff and from what I can tell the bump map doesn't seem to have a preview like the other DDS files do in s4pe. There are 2 UNKN references with DDS textures (one is the diffuse, the other I am assuming is the specular because it's white/grey). I tried looking at the yfBottom_UnderwearLaceScallop.package since I'm planning on attempting some thong/string panties. Unless the white texture is the bump map (shouldn't be, normal maps from my experience either look blue with multicolored details or rainbow colored) then I am not certain where we need to be looking.

Have you tried recreating the alpha channel with your new texture selected? Maybe the old alpha overlay is still there and is causing that. I doubt it though if there's bump maps involved.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 10:07 AM
Okay here is the test file I made. And then I saw the bump/normal maps popping up ugh. The alpha channel is fine hahaa But how can I replace the one UNKN file because I cant select import DDS? The white thing is ofc not the bump map I just made a new alpha channel and make a white bg as color cause this should be a test file to see if the new alpha channel is correctly positioned I made a correctly bump map but I found no way to bring it in the package
Attached files:
File Type: zip  [trap lorde] IS_TEST_bump issue.zip (297.5 KB, 75 downloads) - View custom content
Description: HERE :P

♘ visit my tumblr here
Test Subject
#8 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 10:44 AM
I suspect either one of the UNKN entries in the package is the bump map and s4pe isn't setup to recognize them yet or we're missing a piece of the puzzle. It's not possible that the bump map could be packaged with the mesh itself could it? Like the bump map is in a GEOM entry or something?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 11:02 AM
I guess not, I extracted the geoms and they are the 'nude and bare' tops and bottoms so the bumps arent meshed. WHERE the fling f*** is the clone still getting the map from. Ugh .UGHH

♘ visit my tumblr here
Test Subject
#10 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 11:09 AM
its already been established that the unknown 0xBA856C78 is the specular file leaving the other file to hopefully be the normals / bump ....
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 11:11 AM
I have considered several other possibilities. One of them could be like I said before that a UNKN reference contains it but s4pe can't distinguish it as containing the bump map texture yet. Another is that maybe it's one of the textures from the nude bottom and tops that has underwear or something on it. I could be majorly wrong but in CAS when you take all of a sim's clothes off they have underwear on that isn't actually a CAS item. It appears as if it's part of the top/bottom body packages so maybe that's it.
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 11:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DFMcLeod
I could be majorly wrong but in CAS when you take all of a sim's clothes off they have underwear on that isn't actually a CAS item. It appears as if it's part of the top/bottom body packages so maybe that's it.

thats a really good point . so you believe that normal is based on the actual body mesh rather than the clothes ? so by creating a replacement body mesh , one could in theory eliminate the edges
Test Subject
#13 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwisims_4
thats a really good point . so you believe that normal is based on the actual body mesh rather than the clothes ? so by creating a replacement body mesh , one could in theory eliminate the edges

We could eliminate it easy if we knew where the normal map was and could make a new one based on the new clothing texture. I think the normal is either based on the body's textures with the underwear on it or there's a separate hidden underwear item somewhere with it's own normal map. It COULD also just be the normal map from the original clothing item's texture though too. I guess we'll have to wait and see... Until then I suspect all we can do is find clothing items that have no detail to them (tights I think for bottoms, not sure about tops) and make items that way.
Test Subject
#14 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 11:27 PM
Probably not what you're supposed to do but I got rid of it by writing over everything that wasn't one of the known dds files (having problems with s4pe, can't edit the tgi list, long story). So my tgi list looks like this for a bra recolor:
[0]: 0x00000000-0x00000000-0x0000000000000000
[1]: 0x015A1849-0x00320DFD-0xB6DCAB99F33C43EE
[2]: 0x015A1849-0x00320DFE-0xB6DCAB99F33C43EE
[3]: 0x015A1849-0x00320DFF-0xB6DCAB99F33C43EE
[4]: 0x015A1849-0x00320DFC-0xB6DCAB99F33C43EE
[5]: 0x3453CF95-0x00000000-0xEE2F178608774E58
[6]: 0x3453CF95-0x00000000-0xEE2F178608774E58
[7]: 0x3453CF95-0x00000000-0xEE2F178608774E58
[8]: 0x3453CF95-0x00000000-0xEE2F178608774E58

The geoms are 1-4. 5 through 8 used to list all the other files. Now they all point to the one dds-based image file. No bump maps.In a perfect world (in which s4pe works for me instead of eating the tgi list every time I edit it) I guess you could just delete any reference to anything except the dds-based files. You wouldn't have a new bump map, but the old one would be gone.

Completely separate question - how the %&@# do you get a translucent material like that? I know it's something with the alpha channel - black is clear, grey determines how transparent it is, and so on. But I can't get it to work. Using PSP7 and everything either comes out completely solid or completely clear. Grey just produces blobs of black around the area that's supposed to be translucent. I'm trying to fade an edge out.
Test Subject
#15 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 1:53 AM
I think the bump map is mesh related. When I import geoms to a completely item, bumpmaps come with it. I checked grids in geom. There was some references in rcolblock>tgi block (such as 0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0xDDE584E40C6E6613 etc.) I also compared it with sims 3 packages and in sims 3 those numbers were referencing bump map. But I still don't know how to edit it
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 2:00 AM
Everything in the TGI List matches something. I think AxAC16FBEC is the bump map. Not 100% sure. I just started slashing anything I couldn't identify until it went away. Try deleting it from the TGI List and see what happens. (Save first, don't blame me if your computer crashes and the NSA shows up at your door, etc.)
Test Subject
#17 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 2:26 AM Last edited by Rainicorn : 17th Sep 2014 at 4:44 AM.
I tested it and I think I was right my bump map showed up in game but it was in a weird way but it still showed up. Better than nothing :D
ETA: My new edited bump map shows up in the legs and it distorts the mesh. Anyone has any idea? If anyone wonders what it looks like:
ETA 2: I found the original bump map (I guess) (0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x7326803D639024D0) in ClientFullBuild8.package. I opened it in photoshop and it only consisted of stupid lines When I tried second time, it was all black.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ruffinshot
Everything in the TGI List matches something. I think AxAC16FBEC is the bump map. Not 100% sure. I just started slashing anything I couldn't identify until it went away. Try deleting it from the TGI List and see what happens. (Save first, don't blame me if your computer crashes and the NSA shows up at your door, etc.)

This doesn't appear to work by the way, just in case anyone else tries it. I tried replacing it with a white texture in the tgi list and I still get normal map data displaying in the game. Replacing 0xBA856C78 does get rid of specular highlights though and replacing the 'self shadowing map' also gets rid of shadowing artefacts.

Still if anyone else thinks they've manage to clear normal map data I'd be interested to know.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rainicorn
I tested it and I think I was right my bump map showed up in game but it was in a weird way but it still showed up. Better than nothing :D
ETA: My new edited bump map shows up in the legs and it distorts the mesh. Anyone has any idea? If anyone wonders what it looks like:
ETA 2: I found the original bump map (I guess) (0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x7326803D639024D0) in ClientFullBuild8.package. I opened it in photoshop and it only consisted of stupid lines When I tried second time, it was all black.

Investigated this a little bit. It looks like there are references to three image files in a tgi block at the bottom of the high LOD GEOM mesh files. One looks to be the DDS and another looks to be in the same format as the specular file, but the third could be the normal map. I tried editing these references in the grid editor of s4pe so they would point to other, custom textures, but that seems to cause the high LOD mesh to stop rendering altogether (corrupted?) and you get what looks like it could be the next LOD down instead.

Like Rainicorn I was also able to locate the potential normal textures pointed to in the GEOM files in the games fullbuild package files but, while they appear to be DDS files of some variation or other, I couldn't preview them in s4pe or export them and load them in GIMP. Hrm.

Perhaps @CmarNYC would have a better idea of whether those references and files are meaningful or whether we are just barking up the wrong tree.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:08 PM
@Ruffinshot: yes I played a bit around with the alpha channel :P
@Rainicorn: How could you export the map? Via export to file... and you make a .dds ending to the file? And are you sure its a bump map and not a normal map?

♘ visit my tumblr here
Test Subject
#21 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
@trap lorde I export it as export to file and its ending is already a dds. I also think it's a bump map.
and I agree with what MyreMylar said. I think it's just like sims 3. We had to change diffuse/spec/bump maps for all geoms in tsrworkshop (for sims 3). And it looks pretty similar to what we are trying to do now. I hope CmarNYC sees this topic
eta: @trap lorde you can also use yftop and yfbottom as meshes for now. There are no old bump maps when you use them. But you also need to delete that file which starts with BA..
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#22 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 9:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the bumpmap (same thing as the normal map) is linked from the mesh, just like in TS3 meshes. I'm going to do some experimenting and see if I can find a blank bumpmap, although it looks like it can just be removed without causing problems. It also looks to me like the index to the bumpmap link is in the shader info, like in TS3, although the format may be slightly different or maybe s4pe isn't reading it correctly. In the next version of CAS / Mesh Tools I'll see if I can add something to remove the bumpmap and/or change to a blank one.

The bumpmaps and (I think) speculars are indeed DDS images, but they use a new type of compression which s4pe doesn't yet read or write. That's why we don't see previews and can't just export them and edit them. I'm sure the s4pe team is working on getting that resolved.

I read somewhere that the TS4 speculars have a very complex format, with each color channel and the alpha doing different stuff, but it sounded like the alpha is the main component, controlling shine intensity. Still need a lot more info!

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#23 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 10:38 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 18th Sep 2014 at 1:12 AM.
@CmarNYC , is this the info you remenber?

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruMeatball
FYI - our spec maps are fairly complicated, a quick overview how its set up (for Characters) is as follows:

R = cube map blur control
G = cube map strength control
B = specular falloff
Alpha = specular strength

(C+P for others who may not have seen it)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#24 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 11:31 PM
Yes, that's it! Thanks!

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 6:56 PM
Thank you guys for all the answers I still cant export the DDS file somehow, PS says it cant read the file??? Even tho its AxAC16FBEC ugh. I hope the s4pe can fix this somehow. @plasticbox: thank you I was always wondering was exactly controls what in the channels Would it be possible to import a new/blanco DDS to AxAC16FBEC even tho the bump map is linked to the mesh?

♘ visit my tumblr here
Page 1 of 2