Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 6:58 PM
Default Less ripped jeans?
I love these ts4 jeans (they are base game) but I hate the rips. I took the .dds file into photoshop to see what i could do about it..

Turns out the only thing that works so far is the color mixer tool, but it makes the light version of the jeans look dirty (because it's near impossible not to mix the colors with grey)

So here's how the jeans look now:

They look less ripped, but you can see the flaws where there are grey parts in one of the lighter jeans. I didn't do two of the lightest jeans because of this. There are 6 jean swatches in total.
Is the whole rip a part of the mesh or something? Does anyone know how I could make this work?
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 7:55 PM
Did you edit the alpha layer to remove the transparency in the rips?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#3 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 8:00 PM
The "grey parts in one of the lighter jeans" are probably the shadow map, I would think -- have you edited that along with the rest?

And i don't understand what you mean by "the only thing that works so far is the color mixer tool" .. do you mean your Photoshop doesn't seem to work right? To remove the rips you wouldn't really need that tool .. have you tried just c+p-ing the fabric texture from above/below the ripped areas? Clone tool or lasso select or something like that .. seems like the simplest way to get rid of the rips. They are not in the mesh, in any case (if you use TS4CASTools, go to the "Previewer" tab, there you can see each of the textures separately).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 8:18 PM
The bumpmap will also need to be modified or made blank.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 12:47 PM
Oh, how do I edit the alpha layer or bump map? Is that apart of the mesh? I mean the color mixing tool was the only thing that works to make the ripped part disappear. I've tried copying and pasting, but it just makes it look like a square of a texture that doesn't belong in that spot. I will try the cloning tool.. Thanks you guys

Edit- I think I will look in the package file for the jeans in s4pe for the bumpmap/alpha. I forgot about that. I had just started creating again for ts4
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 9:28 PM
The alpha is a part of the main (diffuse) texture and controls transparency. How to edit it depends on what image editor you're using. I can help you with GIMP and I think pbox can help with Photoshop. The bumpmap is a different texture that's linked from the mesh. Bumpmaps are tricky to edit but you may be able to copy/paste from a blank part. If that doesn't work IMO your best option is to make it blank, which you can do using CAS Tools - click the bumpmap image and click the 'Make Blank' button. The other creation tools will do the same thing but I don't know the exact steps. Same goes for the shadow except it's a bit easier to modify; again you could just copy/paste from a blank part.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 10:42 PM
I'm new to using CAS tools, where can I find the bumpmap after I loaded the package up?

Also, the alpha is the one in the s4pe package, right? I'm pretty sure I've found it. But I'm not sure what to do to it to make this work. I'm using adobe photoshop cs5.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 12:31 AM
The bumpmap is in Clone Package Editor > Mesh Manager tab (since it is linked via the mesh). Click on the little thumbnail image to import/export.

The alpha is the transparency of the diffuse map, not a separate texture. When you paint/copy/paste over the ripped areas in Photohop, it should normally adjust itself (unless you are using channel masks or something like that).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 4:04 PM
Thanks, so I've made the bump map blank but I have to edit the shadow as well? I'm not sure what to do now. Just making the bumpmap blank didn't seem to do the job.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 4:56 PM
It won't remove the rips if you *only* edit the bumpmap .. you need to edit at least the diffuse as well. The self shadow may or may not be an issue (since it's underneath the holes, maybe you don't see it any more when they are closed), same goes for the specular (I dunno whether the rips show on the specular at all).

I wouldn't recommend making the bumpmap blank in this case .. pretty sure it has details like buttons etc that you don't want to lose. It should be easy enough to edit out the ripped parts, they're not overlapping anything else as far as can see on your screenshots.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 7:29 PM Last edited by christmas fear : 16th Nov 2015 at 7:45 PM.
I made a back up just in case. Err.. where can I find the diffuse part? Thank you for helping me.

Here's the shadow and diffuse.. just need to know how to edit it

http://imgur.com/a/E9EVq
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 7:36 PM
Please see Cmar's last post. Diffuse means the main texture. The one with the coloured picture on it.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 7:46 PM
Is there a way to extract the shadow and diffuse to photoshop to edit them?

Painting over the bumpmap didn't work :/
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 7:55 PM
You already had the diffuse exported when you started this thread o.O

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 7:56 PM Last edited by christmas fear : 16th Nov 2015 at 8:20 PM.
The first thing I did was edit the diffuse in ts4 studio, but the jeans are still showing up with holes in CAS tools. There aren't any holes on the .dds when I look at it in photoshop.

The bumpmap and shadow are blank, and the holes don't show on the specular.

Looks like this in CAS

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 8:40 PM
How do you mean "edit the diffuse in ts4 studio" .. I assume you mean Photoshop? The issue seemed to be that the result was still transparent where you didn't want it to be. If you can post your dds I can take a look at that -- or you can open it yourself in http://sourceforge.net/projects/aorta/ or something similar, perhaps that makes it easier for you to see what the alpha is doing.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 10:04 PM
I'll upload all of the jeans .dds files I'm using. I opened it in that program and it loaded the 'mask' thing. It shows the holes where the rips are.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  jeans dds files.zip (773.3 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#18 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 10:26 PM
Well then export that, paint over the rips, import and save .. that's probably the most straightforward solution at this point.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 10:49 PM
I tried to, but the image is repeating for some reason. I tried to turn off image repeating but it's still happening. And if I turn mipmaps off, the holes don't show at all.

I'll keep trying

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#20 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 11:17 PM
That's not "repeating", those are the mipmaps.

How did you import that image?

Also, no offense but if you find that CS5 is overwhelming you, perhaps try a somewhat simpler editor .. for this kind of thing you really don't need any advanced features.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Nov 2015 at 10:02 AM
Hi, I took a look at your .dds files and this is what their alpha looks like:

I think this may be why you still have those rips showing - those black streaks on the white part of the alpha. Make that area solid white and see if that gets rid of the rips?
Screenshots