Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 6:28 PM
Default Going about creating an underwater dome shaped restaurant?
Hello, I kinda need ideas and inspiration for a build that I might use in a school powerpoint presentation to show off a concept and vision for a dining facility. I haven't never really built anything to showcase or upload it for someoe to preview/download, so I thought "hey, why not I should take the shot and go for it as a start". Though, I kinda lack inspirations or a vision on how I would go about creating.

So here the questions I have that I have hard time answering. I thought maybe you guys could put me on a right track. What's the suitable color palette I should used for this particular restaurant, situated by the surrounded gigantic aquarium with living Marine life (not to go overboard, since the facility is in a huge fish tank, not in the ocean)? Should I get island paradise installed for opening possibilities in building soothing interior? Any other packs to recommend which offer items that would fit with the theme of the build or for the restaurant in general? What CC is recommended for this kind of project? Beneficial objects that affect the gameplay of a restaurant (If I were to show a video clip along after a slideshow of screenshots to the whole classroom) ?

Oh and If it isn't easy to match to ask, any guides to building a ditch/crater that is in the shape of a half-sphere that of which is surrounded with water/pool? :D
I would appreciate for the given tricks or hints and be very grateful :D

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 6:52 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to screenshot or else I would have to it zoom very close in an angle so that a frame of a void isn't exposed in the screenshot. Yet to start on it, but I can only imagine doing at least two story high that are in-between of the level where the ground is. Just to keep it clean and as minimal pictures as possible. And yeah, I don't think I will be using the old-school way of building a basement without that WA tool. And I wouldn't want it fully submerged, just like a snowglobe, but with the bottom flooring being as... well - normal ground.

Thanks for the insight. Do you have a link or a file to what's the technique is in full steps? Would very much appreciate it.

dodgy builder
#4 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 7:26 PM
1. I'm ignoring the fishtank idea for now. You can use the ground to make a pond and dress it up like an aquarium with fish from spawners.
2. If you still want it fishtank where people can look into it, you can use the pool tool and have it in a basement, then you can style is with stones inside the pool to give it the right look of a dome. You can use the spawners again. Then you can have windows in the pool.
3. You can also cfe' your way around getting the right shape on the pool, but it might include all kinds of bugs and glitches. Some don't bother about that though.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 7:52 PM
By dome I mean in 3D dimension form, not just the room / pool surrounding the room in a circled in a hexagon shape. Like the walls leaning to form a curved outwards roof/ceiling. If that is what you meant, then can you elaborate on "then you can style is with stones inside the pool to give it the right look of a dome." ?

Kind of (since it's more a cylinder than a half-sphere) like this:

Obviously finding windows like these or able to flex them is out of question regarding technical stuff. Though not unless the dome as a whole comes like an object (like the one very close with the one Science Facility has), but again falls prey to having water curve. Of course I would be okay without the windows, as the motionless water gives the illusion it's contained under transparent barrier, it's just I have no idea how I would go about shaping the interior/water with a curvy air pocket. Unless I CFE the wall to close in inward the room zig-zag up/down diagonally, but other than that I would stick to just plain rectangular rooms as a last resort.

Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 8:10 PM
Use CFE to match the ceiling to the mesh, make the mesh (it can also be a decorative) so it only occupies the lowest edges of the ceiling (a.k.a the half tile above the wall), and ofc make the windows on sides just a bit curved. I wonder can you make walls on underwater lots that came with Island Paradise. I haven't tried that... yet.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 8:29 PM
Any examples, tutorials? Don't know how I go about doing the meshing. I don't play around with CFE often to familiarize with it on how to do certain stuff on my own unless I can follow a guide of sorts.

Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 8:38 PM
There are CFE guides for exact shape like you are searching for... but the meshing part will be hard. Especially playing with glass shader, though you could always just find a glss deco object and edit it to fit your needs, but if you don't know meshing or are starting from scratch it might take a long time.

EDIT: Here is a YT link for the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1X9BldGIUE
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 9:23 PM
Thank you. This might do the trick What, or shall I say where can I find some glass deco?

dodgy builder
#11 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 11:00 AM
This is going to be a long discussion, just read it through and see the solution at the end.

I just looked at that old video I made. You can probably make a perfect dome without a mesh if you use the ground. The problem is, the ground does not have a usable ceiling. It's just black.

But the thing with cfe is it lifts everything above, but everything below stay put. You can use that to build a structure above the ground, and then use the ground to lift it. That means if you build a pool on the 2'nd floor, and go down to the ground and lift all the floors above. That way you can make a pool surface in the shape of a doom.

The problem though will always be how the game renders the information. It might make a big mess of the hole thing.

What I'm thinking is a floor is always the easiest to have as a ceiling, and it can be painted underneath. It's still going to bug with floating floortiles all over the place, but there might be a way to stable that problem.

I'm thinking about the possibility of making a floorlevel and fill it with the pool renderlook. On the other hand the same look can be achieved by just building a room, make some fancy aquarium looking walls, find suitable windows, and put fish spawners in.

If you still like a pool, you can build it outside the windows, or you can find a dome looking object or build the dome with windows. Chances are it will look 10 times better, and not bug up like crazy.

The tunnel you see the picture of can be made with recolorable object tunnel pieces, colored light etc. This game has tons of fancy options.
dodgy builder
#12 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 11:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr

EDIT: Here is a YT link for the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1X9BldGIUE

This tutorial is working with the ground as I mentioned above, and it's buggy. Otherwise read my post above.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 12:11 PM
I might actually just test this with the pool on top. And then in the underwater scenario. You won't be able to see the pool trough ceiling so special objects fitted to the shape of your room would be nice, but hard to make.

This will require some good amount of work.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 1:45 PM
Another question to consider is what creates the look of a pool. I'm fairly convinced it's just the watersurface doing that. There is no water as such, and the rest is walls and a floor. Being able to make the watersurface bend the way you want it to will then be very important.

When it comes to glassfloors, finding a seethrough floortile is the best option I think. Bending meshes is a tall order, and probably can't be done.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 6:06 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 27th Sep 2018 at 9:02 PM.
In any case, I'll choose (maybe I should do it in advance) the rectangular alternative If the thing doesn't work out. I'm kinda torn from where to start. With the interior design or the architectural layout.

ETA: I probably might do a bunker underground that is in a form of a

dodgy builder
#17 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 6:29 AM
I tried cfe on the pool surface, and as I remember it doesn't move the same way on the right and left side of the tunnel I made.

When it comes to the shape, I think a tunnel is easier to make then a dome. If you don't plan on making the pool swimmable, you only need the pool surface and can lift the height of the pool. That way you can make your restaurant inside the pool.

I think you should look for the glass ceilings of your restaurant. I think the demonic site I don't remember the name of has space themed glass ceilings. There is a Titanic dome somewhere, and Luna had some smaller domes. Buffsumm also has the skew whiff windows.
dodgy builder
#18 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 1:26 AM
I tested some more, and as far as I can see, the pool surface does not render from below.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 11:25 AM
So If anyone can give me an actual example that would prove that is somewhat is possible to accomplish the construction, please do so so that I can give a shot of trying to accomplish the architectural idea.